ADVERTISEMENT

Pac-12 & MWC in serious talks about "Relegation"

This is a terrible idea...

But if somehow that brings this entire cluster up to the same P5 level from a $$$ perspective and potential, then do whatever it takes...
I don’t see how WSU and OSU moves the TV needle. They didn’t make the cut, are no longer P4 and are now G5.

Reactions: NSU67
A conference will only work if all members are equal in my opinion. As in osu,wsu don't get more money because they used to be p5.
We are already in a conference that let's Boise make more money (7 Millon per year). OSU and Wazzo will be in charge of all Pac 12 assets. We will be playing by their rules.

Reactions: LVRebel2000
A conference will only work if all members are equal in my opinion. As in osu,wsu don't get more money because they used to be p5.
Well...
In the Big 12 Texas and Oklahoma received bigger pieces of the pie compared to the rest of the teams. This was a big reason A&M left for the SEC.

Then of course Texas had the Longhorn network that gave them another 15 mil a year.

So not exactly balanced.

Not to mention the whole ACC thing with those dumbass smart schools. and the recent concessions with the new additions to the Big 10 and 12. Though those seem to be temporary.

But a precedent is set for unequal revenue sharing. That is for sure. As long at it isn't a paycut from their current paltry situation UNLV should jump at any sort of upgrade.

Well...
In the Big 12 Texas and Oklahoma received bigger pieces of the pie compared to the rest of the teams. This was a big reason A&M left for the SEC.

Then of course Texas had the Longhorn network that gave them another 15 mil a year.

So not exactly balanced.

Not to mention the whole ACC thing with those dumbass smart schools. and the recent concessions with the new additions to the Big 10 and 12. Though those seem to be temporary.

But a precedent is set for unequal revenue sharing. That is for sure. As long at it isn't a paycut from their current paltry situation UNLV should jump at any sort of upgrade.
Exactly. It's also why Nebraska left.

Washington State and Oregon State have no bargaining power at all right now. The mountain West should be negotiating with them as such
Exactly. They would be very valuable additions to the MWC, or in a merger of some sort, but it doesn't make much sense to the rest of schools to bow down to them and give up their earning potential either.

Reactions: Meister_Rebel
Washington State and Oregon State have no bargaining power at all right now. The mountain West should be negotiating with them as such
At this stage I don't really see us in any kind of negotiations. At best they are laying out options. And I agree there is no bargaining power because the Pac-2 doesn't even know yet if the conference is going to fall into their hands. They are awaiting a court date within the next month or two to settle who controls the Pac-12.

Exactly. They would be very valuable additions to the MWC, or in a merger of some sort, but it doesn't make much sense to the rest of schools to bow down to them and give up their earning potential either.
I think this results in something different than "no bargaining power".

As possible valuable additions, yes they have bargaining power. If they are *not* given Pac 12 assets, it's substantially dropped... but that doesn't mean they have no bargaining power. They don't have the upper hand. But they could also probably work their way into a quarter share big 12 if they felt insulted by whatever mwc offer is.

Until we know the pac 12 asset decision and what exactly those assets are, anything that comes out is informational. I'd be surprised if anybody is formally negotiating without that information. Current stage is likely just laying out options and intel

It's hilarious that the MWC is the conference you get relegated to lol. If it means more money for UNLV then I would be in favor. Maybe it would provide some extra motivation to have a stable and successful program since we all know $$ talk. Maybe UNLV would invest more to ensure they don't get relegated.

How much more do you want them to invest? We have some of the highest paid staffs, best facilities in both major sports of any team in the conference... Its not a matter of investment, its a matter of collecting on that investment, which I feel that BO is going to deliver on...

Reactions: LocoRebel
For me, if there is a TV partner that steps up for each side of this conference (or more likely, each conference), where the lesser partner gets what the current MWC gets at a minimum, and the greater partner gets more (not like $40m to $7m, but like lower of $6-7m and higher of $12-14m), I think this is a home run that will never happen.

Just don't know if that interest is there for both pieces of the conference. High side likely would command at least $10m... but what would the lower side get if it's all the schools nobody wants and that suck?

How much more do you want them to invest? We have some of the highest paid staffs, best facilities in both major sports of any team in the conference... Its not a matter of investment, its a matter of collecting on that investment, which I feel that BO is going to deliver on...
Invest in a higher tier coach. There are several they had no shot at the last two basketball searches because they wouldn’t pay.

The schools that get “relegated” will have mass exoduses of coaches and players.

This is a terrible idea if you want a stable program.
I guess OSU and Wazzu have not realised that no one want them. If they want to merge with the MWC, I would take them...otherwise they can merge and relegate with North Datoka universities and maybe San Diego State and please, please take Boise off our hand.

The schools that get “relegated” will have mass exoduses of coaches and players.

This is a terrible idea if you want a stable program.
I don't see 9 schools in the Mountain West agreeing to this, knowing that at least half of them will be relegated in the future, leading to reduced recruiting, revenue, and exposure. I do like the idea of a dynamic schedule within the conference, pitting teams with similar records to drive interest and maximizing the chance of making the playoff. Why would Colorado State, with a larger media market and fan base, risk getting relegated!?

Why can’t the MWC go add some Texas schools like Tulane, Memphis, Tulsa then add WKU, La Tech and call it a day. Then if the Pac 2 will know we aren’t messing around they can join or die!

Reactions: utestream
Why can’t the MWC go add some Texas schools like Tulane, Memphis, Tulsa then add WKU, La Tech and call it a day. Then if the Pac 2 will know we aren’t messing around they can join or die!
Which of those schools is on Texas? Lol

But honestly both the MWC and those schools gain nothing by joining or adding them. It'd actually be a step down for Memphis and for the rest of those schools just make travel increasingly more difficult for them/us without any real revenue bump...

So how does regulate work with basketball and Olympic sports. Does each sport individually regulate so schools could have teams in both the PAC and the MWC? How does that work with tv payout? Or does football decide it all if you get regulated in football all teams are regulated for the school? So if you have a top team in like basketball but yout football team got regulated your basketball is automatically regulated? Same with all other sports? That doesn't seem right? Sounds like a huge headache and problem after problem.

Last edited:
So how does regulation work with basketball and Olympic sports. Does each sport individually regulate so schools could have teams in both the PAC and the MWC? How does that work with tv payout? Or does football decide it all if you get regulated in football all teams are regulated for the school? So if you have a top team in like basketball but yout football team got regulated your basketball is automatically regulated? Same with all other sports? That doesn't seem right? Sounds like a huge headache and problem after problem.
It's uh relegated. But, keep going you are on a roll. Yeah, some on here have said it works in some professional version of soccer. Somehow this isn't soccer. It's a multi-sport college environment. IT WON'T WORK HERE.

It's uh relegated. But, keep going you are on a roll. Yeah, some on here have said it works in some professional version of soccer. Somehow this isn't soccer. It's a multi-sport
Sorry, auto correct changed it. Should have proof read.
Premier league does it and great for one sport but multi sports sound difficult.

Just seems like a scheme devised by the PAC 2 to make sure they get the maximum amount of $$. They feel they will be in the "promoted" division no matter what and will annually get the lions share of the revenue. The "relegated" folks (us) will get the leftovers. If I was UNLV I'd take a hard pass.

Kindly go pound sand would be an appropriate response.

But none of those schools you listed are from Texas???
Good one! But the point was be proactive and create a new conference to tilt the leverage into the MWC‘s favor once and for all, leaving no one for the Pac 2 to add and then they would have to abandon relegation and join the MWC or go Indy!

Last edited:
The big boy conferences don't want to play on that blue turd field.
They also havent really been nationally relevant since Peterson left, its a small market with limited growth potential.... They have done well in MWC, and a lot had to do with the extra $$ by comparison to the rest of us, but no where near the relevance of their ability to negotiate a higher cut or attract the big boys... They're only mentioned because of what they did going on 10 years ago...

To me, this plan is meant to be temporary.
The Pac probably wants to rebuild needs the mountain west but can't straight up poach teams because of the buyout
So they create a 2 league pacmo alliance. This the only way they can create a new Pac using MW teams, perhaps bring in some more decent markets, say UTSA and Tulane, to create decently competitive league with good markets without having to take the weaker markets and teams that the MW has to offer.
They can get in bed with our TV partners, maybe bring in Apple, he'll even our commish for the next couple of years until our current contract dissappear.
Once the one or two years go by they say this isn't working and fully separate, taking all of the teams they want. At that time it will be much easier since a separation will already have occurred. Easier to make that vote at that point
The MW goes along with it, since many teams will get "upgraded". The remaining teams play along because they find out a way not to get a payout. Then the rug is pulled out from the weaker brand/market teams. And they create the PAC they wanted all along without the fees.
The good news is that UNLV is in a good position when the hammer drops. One of the better markets left and may just be a top half MW team to qualify in that respect.

The reason we don't have any leverage?
Because the Pac 12 has the name recognition!! And if we want to be a part of their league, we have to play by their rules. That doesn't sound like leverage to me. Wazzo and Oregon state are in charge And we will agree to what ever deal they want. The stability that you are talking about ends When our TV deal expires in 2 years. We really need a way to keep those 2 schools tied to the Pac 12 for long term. Then we have to hope that the other power 5 leagues accept this New Pac-12.
There is no Pac12. They had name recognition based on the teams in it. The two teams left have barely any that's why no one else wanted them

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT