ADVERTISEMENT

NIT Possibilities

WarthogRebel

Rebel Legend
Gold Member
Dec 31, 2006
There has been quite a bit of discussion on a few different threads about having a chance at the NIT or not.

Following is a relatively deep dive into the NIT. I'm using today's NET as an example - so keep in mind the specific teams will change as time goes by and wins or losses accumulate. But the concept will be the same.

The NIT used to guarantee a spot to each conference winner that lost in their Tourney. The rest of the 32 team field would be filled out with the remaining teams available by rank. This is no longer the case.

This year the first 12 teams will be spots guaranteed to the two highest ranking teams not chosen for the NCAA Tourney from six conferences. ( PAC 12, Big 10, Big East, Big 12, SEC and ACC). They will then pick the next 20 teams as the best available from NET. ( the best 4 of these teams will be combined with the 12 autobids to make the 16 teams with first round home games).

So, where would we stand? It is impossible to predict exactly how many teams will be chosen for the NCAA as at large selections. This is because you can't accurately predict Conference Tourney upsets. But for reference the 46/47 ranked team is normally the last team in at large. ( the remaining teams are tourney winners and they are at times ranked into the 200's)

So the NIT will start @ rank 47 and choose the next 12 best ranked POWER 6 teams not selected for the NCAA's. Using today's data they would go down to rank 68. Then they would go back to rank 47 ( because they had to skip over non Power 6 teams) and pick the best 20 remaining. They would end with No. 80. ( Keep in mind this is inexact because some of the teams in the 60's and 70's may win their Tourney and get in the NCAA's - but it's pretty close)

We are currently 87th NET. We need to get at least to 80 to have a sniff. We'd be solid if we could get to the low 70's. We have three shots at quad 1 wins in conference and hopefully 2 shots in the Tourney. We most likely need to win two and not lose a gimme to get to the 70's.

I think it's very doable.

Reactions: j. spilotro
Salvage the season..I’m all for it. Finish STRONG!!

Salvage the season.. I’m all for it. Finish STRONG!!
I think it may be more than picking the highest NET teams, if they use the same criteria as the NCAAT which has been the case in the past. So we can be in the 80's and NOT get picked.
I do think many of the best NET teams that would be selected will be picked anyway following the auto power conference selections, but I do think there will be some that would not have qualified otherwise.
I think we would have to be at least in the 60's to feel confident for the NIT. We have been passed for the NIT in previous years with similar numbers ( though it was RPI back then).

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT