ADVERTISEMENT

What would it take for you to support a Coach Sanchez return for next year

What would it take for you to support a Coach Sanchez return for next year

• Total voters
Position coaches may be to blame. Not a lot of great development noticed. I think Coach C has been good. At least he has proven himself over the years. Not his fault that dues are dropping balls, but they seem to run good routes, get open, and even block pretty well.

But still. Even with Armani out there. They load the box and spy the QB. It shouldn't take much to create wide open easy passing lanes when you have dedicated defenders that you can move out of the way. Rarely tested the seams. Again should be a lot of opportunity.

Trust me, I don't want to shit on Cotton either. But the truth is that we NEEDED to offense to produce and step it up this year. We knew the defense would be weak. They had a good start defensively too. It just hasn't happened with the offense. It has regressed. Sure the numbers maybe close to the same, but again more blowouts this year and softer defenses at the end of the game to pad stats. Not a lot of new faces out there either. Lack of execution? Sure. Scouted and can't adjust? You betcha.

I'll concede the 2nd half struggles may be a product of that..

Didn't Ault coach here for a short time and didn't do any better than anyone else we've tried?

...I would say Cotton has never had a bad group of quarterbacks to develop.

The biggest issue I have with your post is that we, unlike a lot of other programs, have a full time QB coach on staff. Either the group of QBs to develop have been bad which would/should lead to the conclusion that the person in charge of recruiting QBs is bad or the Coach in charge of developing the QBs is bad. Perhaps it's a combination of both?

Reactions: bcvegaspt
You can choose an offense that scores 30 points per game.

Or

A defense that allows 30 points per game....
When the offense is ranked in the Top 25 in rushing and averaging over 5 yds per carry, I'll take the offense that scores over 30 every day of the week plus Saturday & Sunday.

Just imagine how much better this offense would be "IF" the defense could make some stops and the offense didn't need to run clock to protect the slim depth on the defense. Even though we are in the Top 25 in rushing, averaging over 5 yds a carry and scoring close to 30 pts a game, we are only 62nd in Time of Possession and in number of offensive plays. Think about that. It illustrates exactly how bad the defense is in relation to the offense. If the defense was just 10% better in making stops, this offense might be averaging 40 points per game, ranked in the Top 25 in Time of Possession and, most importantly, we would likely be Bowl Eligible right now.

Yes, if we were better at 3rd down conversions, then the offense would be much better because of that too but much of the problems with 3rd down conversions have to do with the position that the defense has put the offense in over this season. So I'll still take the Offense over the defense. I'll also take the offense over the Special Teams but that's a different discussion.

When the offense is ranked in the Top 25 in rushing and averaging over 5 yds per carry, I'll take the offense that scores over 30 every day of the week plus Saturday & Sunday.

Just imagine how much better this offense would be "IF" the defense could make some stops and the offense didn't need to run clock to protect the slim depth on the defense. Even though we are in the Top 25 in rushing, averaging over 5 yds a carry and scoring close to 30 pts a game, we are only 62nd in Time of Possession and in number of offensive plays. Think about that. It illustrates exactly how bad the defense is in relation to the offense. If the defense was just 10% better in making stops, this offense might be averaging 40 points per game, ranked in the Top 25 in Time of Possession and, most importantly, we would likely be Bowl Eligible right now.

Yes, if we were better at 3rd down conversions, then the offense would be much better because of that too but much of the problems with 3rd down conversions have to do with the position that the defense has put the offense in over this season. So I'll still take the Offense over the defense. I'll also take the offense over the Special Teams but that's a different discussion.

I don't see it that way at all.

Not arguing the defense hasn't been bad it has.

But the offense has not been as good as the numbers indicate, at least not this season.

Most of our "production" have come in second halves against extra soft defenses.

I see the poor TOP as an indication how the offense has not been good. Not sustaining drives for the majority of games. Then speeding things up in garbage time to score as much as possible. Getting five yards a carry when the D is playing prevent defense daring us to run out the clock.

Ask the majority of the "fans" that actually watch and go to games and see if they think the offense has been good. They'd probably say no since they have left the game or switched the channel before they actually put up numbers!

We've NEEDED the offense to be really good this season, it just plain hasn't.

There was a perfect example of play call vs execution this weekend. 1st drive, get inside the 5. Gilliam missed two open throws. Calls were perfect, execution was poor. Resulted in settling for 3 instead of 7.

I don't think Barney is without faults, all coordinators have bad games. I think if you asked Barney he would probably admit he called a bad second half vs Air Force last year.

I think the overall production by the offense outweighs most of the shortcomings.

I just think he takes a lot more grief than he should.

Just my take....

There was a perfect example of play call vs execution this weekend. 1st drive, get inside the 5. Gilliam missed two open throws. Calls were perfect, execution was poor. Resulted in settling for 3 instead of 7.

Excellent example of the season right there in just two plays.

I don't think Barney is without faults, all coordinators have bad games. I think if you asked Barney he would probably admit he called a bad second half vs Air Force last year.....

I'm certain he'd agree.

Sorry. I don't buy that.

So a satisfactory offense can only put up 14 points against a bad UNM team only against the a fluffy soft defense in the 4 th quarter when we were down 37-0?

Or can only muster 3 against a good Fresno team?

Has to get half it's points also in the 4th against USU, who is a good team. But also against fluffy defense when we are down big.

This is good enough? This is just fine?

Now I am not on the "Fire Barney" bandwagon. I'm just saying the offense has been a disappointment. Definitely a regression from last year. Which is disappointing since we returned most everyone with added electric players like Collins.

Defense has been worse than the offense. Not arguing that. Defense was expected to be a struggle. Offense was expected to be good. Expected to keep up with scoring production. It has stalled much more frequently.

Great post but only one assistant coach is on a multi-year contract now [Tim Skipper]. The rest were moved to one season contracts. It was one of the major reasons why we lost John Garrison to FAU and had to replace him with who FAU had fired .

I’m just a guy from West Virginia but I have to take up for one of our own. Justice was not fired by FAU. He had a fantastic year at FAU in 2017, with 3 of his linemen garnering 1st-Team All-Conference Honors, which was a first for CUSA. That great year catapulted him to getting an offer to be the OL coach at the University of Arizona under Rich Rodriguez. Three weeks after he was hired, Rich Rod was fired and most of the staff was not retained by Kevin Sumlin. John Garrison was already hired by FAU at the time Justice was let go at Arizona.

I’m just a guy from West Virginia but I have to take up for one of our own. Justice was not fired by FAU. He had a fantastic year at FAU in 2017, with 3 of his linemen garnering 1st-Team All-Conference Honors, which was a first for CUSA. That great year catapulted him to getting an offer to be the OL coach at the University of Arizona under Rich Rodriguez. Three weeks after he was hired, Rich Rod was fired and most of the staff was not retained by Kevin Sumlin. John Garrison was already hired by FAU at the time Justice was let go at Arizona.

This is correct...

Justice doesn't leave for AZ with a soon to be fired Rich Rod without being pushed out the door by LK who had offered Garrison BEFORE Justice left for AZ.

Reactions: bcvegaspt
Justice doesn't leave for AZ with a soon to be fired Rich Rod without being pushed out the door by LK who had offered Garrison BEFORE Justice left for AZ.

I am a WVU fan and have only followed UNLV because of Justice, hence why I hadn’t posted here before. He is one of our own and it has been fun to follow his journey from a highly successful D2 Head coach to FAU-AZ-UNLV. So I do know the facts here. Justice left for Arizona the day after the Boca Bowl game on December 19. Garrison was not hired until January. Lane could not match PAC-12 money and was 100% happy with Justice. He was absolutely not pushed out. Rich Rod wasn’t fired until there was an unexpected notice of a lawsuit filed. Not sure why you want to believe otherwise but those are the facts. Wishing you all the best in these last two games. Have a great day.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT