ADVERTISEMENT

Next Year Thoughts

Rebel77fl2

Conference POY
Apr 15, 2016
I think KK is back but there are other threads to talk about that, assuming he is back what needs to happen for next season.

Players:
Obviously who comes back, I think Dedan is back, Whaley is next most important returner. The other bigs. Does Hill get a redshirt, does he use it, does it matter? Does Cottrell have something to contribute? He had a few better stints at the end of the year but I don’t see him as a major contributor on a tournament team. Best case is a year removed he is way better and can give solid minutes off the bench. Does Jones get a Covid year, he is better than some other foul coverage we have had in the past.
The guards, Hicks, Nowell, and Johnson all are the same to me. All need to become better shooters, but if they left I think I would be fine and you could (not sure on will) be able to find replacement level players.

Signed players:
Cherry is a straight up replacement for Kalib Boone.
I would expect Evans to be similar to Hicks.
N’Diaye is a project and anything next year is a plus, imo.

Need:
Regardless of transfers outs, we need at least two solid shooters, preferably one that can play some point.
a wing to replace Rodriguez.

Offense:
We more off ball movement. We didn’t have shooters but played like drive kick, or post double kick was the best options. Rodriguez was pretty much worthless this year in this scheme. With the passing of Whaley and Thomas we should be looking to get people open off the ball moving to the basket.

Defense:
I really liked what they did during conference, some was personnel and some were changes in scheme. Biggest changes we need to be more physical on cuts, we need to teach/figure out how to bump the cutters like our players get bumped.

Reactions: Takethat702
I think KK is back but there are other threads to talk about that, assuming he is back what needs to happen for next season.

Players:
Obviously who comes back, I think Dedan is back, Whaley is next most important returner. The other bigs. Does Hill get a redshirt, does he use it, does it matter? Does Cottrell have something to contribute? He had a few better stints at the end of the year but I don’t see him as a major contributor on a tournament team. Best case is a year removed he is way better and can give solid minutes off the bench. Does Jones get a Covid year, he is better than some other foul coverage we have had in the past.
The guards, Hicks, Nowell, and Johnson all are the same to me. All need to become better shooters, but if they left I think I would be fine and you could (not sure on will) be able to find replacement level players.

Signed players:
Cherry is a straight up replacement for Kalib Boone.
I would expect Evans to be similar to Hicks.
N’Diaye is a project and anything next year is a plus, imo.

Need:
Regardless of transfers outs, we need at least two solid shooters, preferably one that can play some point.
a wing to replace Rodriguez.

Offense:
We more off ball movement. We didn’t have shooters but played like drive kick, or post double kick was the best options. Rodriguez was pretty much worthless this year in this scheme. With the passing of Whaley and Thomas we should be looking to get people open off the ball moving to the basket.

Defense:
I really liked what they did during conference, some was personnel and some were changes in scheme. Biggest changes we need to be more physical on cuts, we need to teach/figure out how to bump the cutters like our players get bumped.
Barnarbie?

The only players that should be back next year are DTJ/Hicks/Whaley/Hill... Everyone else can go. They arent worth the scholarship. Theres tons of talent in the portal, theres also plenty of bodies. Go find scrappy players, not P5 cast aways. Figure out talent evaluation issues that have plagued us in the past. Get a few shooters, but more importantly, make sure they are smart shooters.

Barnarbie?
I don’t go to practices and have nothing to say about him besides he redshirted and as a recruit he was not very highly regarded and his skill set coming in was an undersized center. I think it is more likely than not he is a non factor at UNLV next year, would love to have a surprise breakout player like every other team seems to find so maybe he will have turned himself into a 45% 3pt shooter, who can run the floor.

The only players that should be back next year are DTJ/Hicks/Whaley/Hill... Everyone else can go. They arent worth the scholarship. Theres tons of talent in the portal, theres also plenty of bodies. Go find scrappy players, not P5 cast aways. Figure out talent evaluation issues that have plagued us in the past. Get a few shooters, but more importantly, make sure they are smart shooters.
I think that is a decent core with Cherry playing center but you will need some shooting and a bigger wing for defense, could be the same player but those are not exactly easy to get in the portal.

I think that is a decent core with Cherry playing center but you will need some shooting and a bigger wing for defense, could be the same player but those are not exactly easy to get in the portal.
In basketball, if you have 5 dogs on the same team...you will win NC. Right now we have DJ. Whaley and Hicks are sporadic. If both Whaley and Hicks developed some kind of offence and defensive identities that is plenty. DJ just need two more people to score to help him out on the offence. We really need a proven interior guy and a shooting and slashing player. The rest can just concentrate on playing solid defense.

Reactions: TimothyC3
In basketball, if you have 5 dogs on the same team...you will win NC. Right now we have DJ. Whaley and Hicks are sporadic. If both Whaley and Hicks developed some kind of offence and defensive identities that is plenty. DJ just need two more people to score to help him out on the offence. We really need a proven interior guy and a shooting and slashing player. The rest can just concentrate on playing solid defense.
Dogs is well stated. If you know, you know. We don’t get many. DJ is one.

Dogs is well stated. If you know, you know. We don’t get many. DJ is one.
Blow my mind that Kalib Boone cannot play in this game because of ankle sprained. Greg Anthony wired his mouth shut and played the next game with a broken jaw.
Meanwhile Whaley sprained his ankle too and played and took a lot of elbows from LeDee. That kid got pounded over and over without any call. While Nowell tab the ball from the back and LeDee falls like he got hit by a bulldozer.

I think Whaley rolling his ankle a few weeks ago at Wyoming caused him to not be the same player to end the season. That and SDSU knew they could push him around because of the lack of size and he needed to stay clean of foul trouble. His offensive game will come around.
They knew that they can push him around because no calls will be made against SDSU players. If Rob even flex, they will call a foul on him in this game. The Rebs were nervous about the calls against them is partially responsible for the discrepancies in the rebounds.
The ****ing refs for this game need to get hit by the ball in their nuts repeatedly.

Reactions: LVRebel2000
Next year's outlook and planning for the Rebs, during conference play....just hit the the refs nuts as many times possible every game until they call a fair game. Just bust their nuts and head with the ball all game long...win lose or draw.

Get a new coach already
That is just partially contribute to it. You always want the Krugers' involvement. UNLV is better with them being involved. The players they able to get to UNLV need to be improved and so is KK coaching abilities. I can tell you one thing, the MWC coaches will not look down on him. I dont know why but they seems to like him a lot.
The CSU coach called the game against USU as a UNLV win for an example. The politics seems to escapes the coaches mind.

Coaching:

I think KK is not fired, but is not extended regardless of post-season at this point.

Also, people were understandably cranky after the game, but it was one of Kevin's better coached games. I think he lost on some risks he took (though player mistakes/flubs/low IQ plays were present and for some BBIQ on the court is always really hurt him. I didn't like the defense we had to playin the late 4th quarter, but we were in legit foul trouble. I saw feints and counterpunches in this game which I've never really seen in combination from him this season. I feel like he's still late on a lot of things where you're reading the game. He gets so tight and plays safe the minute we get a double digit leave that isn't against Life Church Southwest A&M. But definitely a pulse.

I do think we're going to lose at least one assistant coach who is goign to take a player or commit with him. No real inside info just a hunch.

Returning:

You need to retain DTJ, Whaley, and Hicks. It would nice if Hill comes back, and I know he said that he was staying but that always can change.

I think Karl Jones has his covid year still left so he could also stay and he's a nice depth piece, especially in that 8-10 slot on the bench.

Cottrell and Nowell should be given the truth that they can compete, but they probably shouldn't be getting extended minutes without significant off-season improvement.

I believe JJ3 will be going someplace where there aren't so many big, tough, guards, especially with how short his leash was last year.

I think Banarabie will transfer, especially if Karl Jones returns.

My gut tells me that we'll also lose one other guy just depending on how things shake out.

New Players:

Evans will most likely be groomed for the wing, and his minutes will depend on how competent a defender he is.

N'Diaye I picture getting Karl Jones minutes for the most part.

Cherry will be our starting 5 by the time the season starts.

Needs:

Wing 3 & D type player, but you would take a really competent slasher/midrange guy a la Dexter Boney. Someone who can generate points especially on the wing catch and shoot actions. Even if Evans develops quickly, you need a shooter for rotation. I don't believe this need will be addressed, will have to have the Wing 3&D we have at home.

PG - I prefer a younger developmental piece who is okay with 8 minutes a game, but bonus points if they have an outside shot.

Combo Guard or Ball Handling Forward - I hope KK has learned his lesson trying to make do without another extra ballhandler, especially in your very static offenses, might be some overlap with Evans's skill set. Almost assuredly a 1 year transfer

Projected Hopeful Rotation:

DTJ
Combo Guard
Hill
Whaley
Cherry

Hicks
Evans
Jones
PG
N'Diaye

Nowell
Cottrell
Project Player

Reactions: RRebel and Trax0r
Coaching:

I think KK is not fired, but is not extended regardless of post-season at this point.

Also, people were understandably cranky after the game, but it was one of Kevin's better coached games. I think he lost on some risks he took (though player mistakes/flubs/low IQ plays were present and for some BBIQ on the court is always really hurt him. I didn't like the defense we had to playin the late 4th quarter, but we were in legit foul trouble. I saw feints and counterpunches in this game which I've never really seen in combination from him this season. I feel like he's still late on a lot of things where you're reading the game. He gets so tight and plays safe the minute we get a double digit leave that isn't against Life Church Southwest A&M. But definitely a pulse.

I do think we're going to lose at least one assistant coach who is goign to take a player or commit with him. No real inside info just a hunch.

Returning:

You need to retain DTJ, Whaley, and Hicks. It would nice if Hill comes back, and I know he said that he was staying but that always can change.

I think Karl Jones has his covid year still left so he could also stay and he's a nice depth piece, especially in that 8-10 slot on the bench.

Cottrell and Nowell should be given the truth that they can compete, but they probably shouldn't be getting extended minutes without significant off-season improvement.

I believe JJ3 will be going someplace where there aren't so many big, tough, guards, especially with how short his leash was last year.

My gut tells me that we'll also lose one other guy just depending on how things shake out.

New Players:

Evans will most likely be groomed for the wing, and his minutes will depend on how competent a defender he is.

Needs:

Wing 3 & D type player, but you would take a really competent slasher/midrange guy a la Dexter Boney. Someone who can generate points especially on the wing catch and shoot actions. Even if Evans develops quickly, you need a shooter for rotation. I don't believe this need will be addressed, will have to have the Wing 3&D we have at home.

PG - I prefer a younger developmental piece who is okay with 8 minutes a game, but bonus points if they have an outside shot.

Combo Guard or Ball Handling Forward - I hope KK has learned his lesson trying to make do without another extra ballhandler, especially in your very static offenses, might be some overlap with Evans's skill set. Almost assuredly a 1 year transfer

DTJ
Combo Guard
Hill
Whaley
Cherry

Hicks
Evans
Jones
PG
N'Diaye

Nowell
Cottrell
Project Player
It’s so hard to tell how quickly a player adapts to the college level but I am optimistic of what Evan’s will bring to the table. He’s got a sturdy body and moves well. Hopefully he can add production sooner rather than later. His style is that of a volume scorer but we all remember Bryce’s first year… he is ranked very similarly to Bryce too. Crossing my fingers for more parallels than just that.

Coaching:

Returning:

New Players:

Needs:

DTJ
Combo Guard
Hill
Whaley
Cherry

Hicks
Evans
Jones
PG
N'Diaye

Nowell
Cottrell
Project Player
Good post, not sure I am as high on Hicks. If he improves his shot I can see it, I just don’t think he showed the explosiveness to drive past most teams.

I would add JJ3 as a keeper. Kind of a 'jack of all trades master of none' /he's pretty good at ball handling, defense, shooting, penetration.

One thing KK coaching next year, I think you have to extend him if you keep him. It can be done in a way to minimize the money owed if he underachieves. Sure everyone who looks at the contract would know but he can at least say he has a three year deal while recruiting. It’s not as big a deal as it was before the portal but players don’t want to sign with a coach coach halfway out the door. Look at Hutson this season he was a gone since April of last year, they should have just let him go last season.

One thing KK coaching next year, I think you have to extend him if you keep him. It can be done in a way to minimize the money owed if he underachieves. Sure everyone who looks at the contract would know but he can at least say he has a three year deal while recruiting. It’s not as big a deal as it was before the portal but players don’t want to sign with a coach coach halfway out the door. Look at Hutson this season he was a gone since April of last year, they should have just let him go last season.
I think things have changed with contract as the way of the transfer portal. The kids have a free transfer anyways so if KK is fired they can move on with no headache. Most guys Kevin needs to go after will only have two years of eligibility left if he’s wanting to make the tourney and save his job. I don’t think he deserves an extension and it only put more financial stress on an already stressed athletic department. He gets next year to make the NCAA, if not you can cut ties and only have one year of a buyout. Think it would be foolish of Harp to do so IMO.

I would add JJ3 as a keeper. Kind of a 'jack of all trades master of none' /he's pretty good at ball handling, defense, shooting, penetration.
If you look at JJ's Duquesne videos you'll see much of his production came in transition. But, we are almost an exclusive half court team. It's almost as though we take pride in how slow we can play. I think it would help his game if 1) we started to push the ball or 2) he transferred to a team that was faster paced. His game is wasted here as it is.

Arguing for anyone but Hicks/Whaley/DTJ/Hill is asking for another bad season. Our bench scored like 30 points all conference season total. There's no one on that bench worth keeping other than Hicks as a developmental combo guard. Everyone else is wasting a roster spot. Go fill it with more consistent players, they all don't need to be all stars, just give us 10-15 minutes a night and score 5-8 ppg

Reactions: butta1231
I think things have changed with contract as the way of the transfer portal. The kids have a free transfer anyways so if KK is fired they can move on with no headache. Most guys Kevin needs to go after will only have two years of eligibility left if he’s wanting to make the tourney and save his job. I don’t think he deserves an extension and it only put more financial stress on an already stressed athletic department. He gets next year to make the NCAA, if not you can cut ties and only have one year of a buyout. Think it would be foolish of Harp to do so IMO.
Depends on the second transfer ruling. Would be tough to get a freshman or sophomore to transfer if they can’t move again. I agree it is not as big a deal with the portal but it is still a consideration.

I will wait the next 1-2 months to see if the AD and President do anything?
Huh? If they do something in a month they will not have a team. Menzies first year over again.
I think ckk will be kept. Especially when they can point to all kinds of near misses and injuries that kept them from the tourney. I get that one can also point at coaching that missed badly early in the season thinking they could win with shooting lots of 3's with these bricklayers.

Huh? If they do something in a month they will not have a team. Menzies first year over again.
I think ckk will be kept. Especially when they can point to all kinds of near misses and injuries that kept them from the tourney. I get that one can also point at coaching that missed badly early in the season thinking they could win with shooting lots of 3's with these bricklayers.
Ha, Southern and AFA @home were not near misses. Take care of both those games, and we could be in as an at large.

DTJ and Whaley. Those are the only two that we should hope come back.

Hicks? Maybe, if he's 8-10 off the bench.

Hill? Maybe 7-9 bench.

None of the other returners are worth making an effort to keep.

JJJ? Should be a walk-on, at best, at a top 40 program.
Nowell? One year at AZ and 2 years here and he can't see the floor consistently. I don't blame Kruger for him (I do for JJJ, as well as others, and for not getting a backup PG).

DTJ and Whaley. Those are the only two that we should hope come back.
Definitely the most important pieces, but do you really want to rebuild with 11 new parts when we know one of Kruger's biggest weaknesses is roster construction? You're mad at him taking a run at JJ3, and you've definitely questioned his talent evaluation, but your'e okay with like 7 more risks like that?
Hicks? Maybe, if he's 8-10 off the bench.
I see a few more minutes for him there than that, probably more like 14 - 18 mpg. I think you're going to have him focus out outside shot and ball handling this off-season.
Hill? Maybe 7-9 bench.
Hill was averaging 11 and 6 before the injury, if the knee is better he's almost assured to be a starter. He brings more toughness, is your best returning rebounder and can guard the 1-5. The problem last year is you couldn't handle having both him and LuRod with limited shooting at the same time, this year it should be less of an issue. This is just a bad take.

None of the other returners are worth making an effort to keep.
I saw enough from Karl Jones that if he's okay with your allotted Jalen Hill minutes, then he's probably the guy that spells Cherry, and N'Diaye unless he picks up a lot of polish fast will take on the old Karl Jones slot of minutes PRN. Other than that I think you're mostly right--though I would keep both Cottrell and Nowell as the end of the bench if they wanted to stay. If you believe your team culture is headed in the right direction then two guys who have worked hard despite not getting great minutes with a decent pedigree are better than unknowns who won't be getting minutes in those slots anyway.

Personally I would probably look to bring in 2-3 transfers: PG, and two wing type players with better shooting acumen, especially if one of them has a bit of a bully in them. We need to get tougher, I'm tired of SDSU pushing us around.

Hill was averaging 11 and 6 before the injury, if the knee is better he's almost assured to be a starter. He brings more toughness, is your best returning rebounder and can guard the 1-5. The problem last year is you couldn't handle having both him and LuRod with limited shooting at the same time, this year it should be less of an issue. This is just a bad take.
Thank you for this thesis statement (again).

Not a bad take about Hill since I watched the games. He's not a starter for a good team given his weaknesses.

Your good take is questioning roster construction. That's a huge uncertainty/negative thus far in the CKK tenure.

Definitely the most important pieces, but do you really want to rebuild with 11 new parts when we know one of Kruger's biggest weaknesses is roster construction? You're mad at him taking a run at JJ3, and you've definitely questioned his talent evaluation, but your'e okay with like 7 more risks like that?

I see a few more minutes for him there than that, probably more like 14 - 18 mpg. I think you're going to have him focus out outside shot and ball handling this off-season.

I saw enough from Karl Jones that if he's okay with your allotted Jalen Hill minutes, then he's probably the guy that spells Cherry, and N'Diaye unless he picks up a lot of polish fast will take on the old Karl Jones slot of minutes PRN. Other than that I think you're mostly right--though I would keep both Cottrell and Nowell as the end of the bench if they wanted to stay. If you believe your team culture is headed in the right direction then two guys who have worked hard despite not getting great minutes with a decent pedigree are better than unknowns who won't be getting minutes in those slots anyway.

Personally I would probably look to bring in 2-3 transfers: PG, and two wing type players with better shooting acumen, especially if one of them has a bit of a bully in them. We need to get tougher, I'm tired of SDSU pushing us around.
Therein lies a major problem and why I don’t have strong confidence. I hate our style of play, but it can win, it’s a bad fit for Vegas, imo, but it’s not what’s stopping UNLV from succeeding. I don’t see a huge problem with actual coaching, xs and os, in game. I do see a problem with prep/focus and finishing games … but I don’t think that’s a 100% coach thing, I think players share in that greatly. I do think there is a lack of team IQ … very few have a high IQ, Dedan is one … and we have a lot of players with very low basketball IQ … that’s an assessment/recruiting problem.

Roster construct is awful, just awful. No real bigs that can give quality minutes, no consistent shooters, no adequate back up point guard. Now we can say that Cottrell, Nowell, JJ, Webster, I won’t say Hicks because unlike genius prognosticators that expect every freshman to put up their high school stats, I don’t pin a lot on freshman … but even with the above mentioned four … he did the player assessment through the portal and it was a giant failure. Remember Cottrell was going to give us 12/7? Webster was going to shoot 40? Nowell was a stud that just needed floor time? Those fan expectations, lol … they ended up so off, too much trust in “they are wearing Rebel Red so they’ll be a stud”.

So we are going to heavily rely on KK getting it right through the portal, something he’s yet to do well. The incoming players, like Hicks, I don’t expect Evans to give a ton. The two bigs? Um … ok, let’s be nice and just say “we’ll see”. I don’t think they’re needle movers at all.

And the thing is, he really does have to hit in the portal or it’s going to end his career here. It’s like asking Babe Ruth to lay down a sacrifice bunt. Maybe not Babe Ruth, let’s go with Dave Kingman or Gorman Thomas.

Thank you for this thesis statement (again).
Sorry to make you read words on a message board. I know that's tough for you, but I appreciate your effort.

Not a bad take about Hill since I watched the games. He's not a starter for a good team given his weaknesses.
He's definitely never started for anything better than an above average team, but I think he brings a toughness and positional flexibility on either side of the ball. You couldn't start him, LuRod, and the worst version of Justin Webster at the same time. But this guy is a 3 year starter in the B12 and MWC and as a starter over 74 games he'll get you 10 and 6, which isn't something you park on the bench for Karl Jones minutes.

Reactions: RRebel and unlove
Therein lies a major problem and why I don’t have strong confidence. I hate our style of play, but it can win, it’s a bad fit for Vegas, imo, but it’s not what’s stopping UNLV from succeeding. I don’t see a huge problem with actual coaching, xs and os, in game. I do see a problem with prep/focus and finishing games … but I don’t think that’s a 100% coach thing, I think players share in that greatly. I do think there is a lack of team IQ … very few have a high IQ, Dedan is one … and we have a lot of players with very low basketball IQ … that’s an assessment/recruiting problem.
Man, I agree with all of this. We go into prevent the minute we get a double digit lead, our buttholes get super tight and I've never seen a team turn a 10 point lead into a 4 point deficit faster in my life. And byeond the IQ issue, i think that anxiety comes down from the staff to the team in those positions. When I'm up 10, I want to be up 20. I feel like the staff is 'we're up 10, if we can just hold on now we can take this one home". I also feel like this team can be bullied with physical play, and that toughness is another extension of the evulation of recruits.

I do know that style does affect attendance and recruiting, even if it's not as important as Ws at the end of the day. When you're offensively challenged, running an offense where you eschew fast break opportunities and instead select for tough contested shots isn't a great gameplan
he did the player assessment through the portal and it was a giant failure. Remember Cottrell was going to give us 12/7? Webster was going to shoot 40? Nowell was a stud that just needed floor time?
Player assessment and roster construction are definitely big problems for this staff. But if we're being super honest I don't watch enough college hoops anymore beyond UNLV to know if his hit rate is closer to the median.

So we are going to heavily rely on KK getting it right through the portal, something he’s yet to do well. The incoming players, like Hicks, I don’t expect Evans to give a ton. The two bigs? Um … ok, let’s be nice and just say “we’ll see”. I don’t think they’re needle movers at all.
If Evans can give me a little more than Hicks did this year I'd be ecstatic, but i'm with you in that I'm not expecting a ton from him. I think Cherry ends up starting at the 5, though how good he is will depend on how quickly he adopts to the NCAA game--not all JuCos adapt as well or as quickly as Whaley has. I think expecting that to be 'the norm' is a mistake. N'Diaye is a project piece with nice upside, but you can't really expect a ton from him. We desperately are going to need a shooter or two, and a PG with upside to develop behind DTJ, or a transfer who doesn't mind being the back up (tougher sell). And with all this movement how well willl the team mesh together? Even if you do guess right on talent, if you get the locker room wrong you get yourself shitcanned like Dave Rice.

agree on the coaching, I hate that we slow it down up 10 with 7 mins left. I get the idea that you want to shorten the game but that is too early and sends the wrong message that you don’t trust the players to continue to execute. I also think lazy offense leads to slower feet and hands on defense.

Webster is exactly what you would have expected from his Hawaii play, 33% from three limited offense after that. Nowell was a good risk to take that hasn’t worked out so far. Johnson to me is the biggest issue with the guards, where does he fit into what Kk wants to do. He is not a half court PG, streaky but not good shooter and excels in the open court. Boone was the player I would have expected from Pacific days.

For bigs, Cottrell was always a risk off injury. Hill was what I would have expected pre injury and Boone as well this year.

To me the glaring issue was the signing of Johnson instead of a 3 and D wing or a true point that would have been a much better fit over the past two years. Sure we would have been hurt at point with a 3 and D but we had no point with Johnson. Yes we had Williams but another shooter was needy not a transition guard. This is not to take away from Johnson as a player just he does not fit what KK was trying to do, imo.

I feel like the staff is 'we're up 10, if we can just hold on now we can take this one home".
Yep. The staff definitely tightens when they are up.

A coach I respect tremendously dropped some insight to me - he told me he’d let the other coach know to try and beat his team as badly as they can, because he’s going to try and do the same to them …. And no hard feelings. No, he wasn’t a run up the score type, he just wanted all out effort for 40 minutes.

He also told me, once you have a team down, you get more aggressive and don’t let up, you “step on their neck and piss in their ear”.

That’s a strong generalization. You aren’t going to do that against a squad like Bethesda or Time Life Pacific. You handle those more with kid gloves.

He also told me, once you have a team down, you get more aggressive and don’t let up, you “step on their neck and piss in their ear”.
To make things even weirder, Margin of Victory actual has weight in the NET rating (how much is still seemingly hidden). You are reward by winning by big numbers, especially against teams with high quad/good defensive efficiency. In the history of college sports blowing people out has never been more important, and we're going to run 22 seconds of clock and then try to run into the teeth of a set up defense.

I think that if DTJ could start hitting a quick 3 pointer on the dribble when they go under the screen it will help the offense, just like if we can get a wing that consistently knock down open 3s from the wing or sideline it will help--but I think we're a ball control offense and neither of these things will get us more points than trying to PUSH off of defensive rebounds or turnovers. It honestly hurts my brain.

Last edited:
To make things even weirder, Margin of Victory actual has weight in the NET rating (how much is still seemingly hidden). You are reward by winning by big numbers, especially against teams with high quad/good defensive efficiency. In the history of college sports blowing people out has never been more important, and we're going to run 22 seconds of clock and then try to run into the teeth of a set up defense.

I think that if DTJ could start hitting a quick 3 pointer on the dribble when they go under the screen it will help the offense, just like if we can get a wing that consistently knock down open 3s from the wing or sideline it will help--but I think we're a ball control offense and neither of these things will get us more points than trying to PUSH off of defensive rebounds or turnovers. It honestly hurts my brain.
"To make things even weirder, Margin of Victory actual has weight in the NET rating (how much is still seemingly hidden)."

So true.

When you look at NET it appears teams are rewarded for winning loads of Q4 and Q3 games by big margins. Take Indiana St. They are currently ranked 30th. They played 23 Quad 3 and Quad 4 teams. Went 22-1 against them. They only had 1 Quad 1 win out of 5 games. ( In most projections currently a bubble team for an at large) McNeese State is TWENTY spots ahead of us in NET and they played 23 Quad 3/4 games, winning 22. The list goes on.

To me the lesson for a coach is 1. schedule a boatload of Quad 3/4 games. WIN them by more than the spread listed in KenPom. ( if you lose you are screwed - but if you don't play them you are screwed anyway). 2. Don't schedule those crappy mid season games. It concentrates the damage from any loss. Go play SUU or NAU or any WAC team at their gym,. Way better off. 3. Don't ever let up. Every point counts.

Reactions: Couev and TimothyC3
Sorry to make you read words on a message board. I know that's tough for you, but I appreciate your effort.
'You ramble' is what I was trying to say in a polite way. Your opinion matters less to me than what I wipe from my *** when I sit on a toilet. But go back to thinking you're important. It would pain me to harm your precious ego (or I'd delight in it).

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT