ADVERTISEMENT

Next Year Thoughts

Every agree’s on one point. KK has to hit the portal hard and obtain wing scoring to take pressure off of DJ. This should be a priority. IMO one of the targets should be 6’7” wing Michael Ajayi from Pepperdine. Forget HS ranking because he was unranked. That’s another issue. But he is currently projected if he entered the drafted right now to go in the 2nd round. Very skilled and handle similar to Bryce Hamilton. But is much bigger shoots the 3 at 47%. But he is also a plus rebounder at 9.9 rpg which is huge and directly addresses another weakness …..rebounding.

UNLV had no answer for Ajayi:

Reactions: dcut03
Every agree’s on one point. KK has to hit the portal hard and obtain wing scoring to take pressure off of DJ. This should be a priority. IMO one of the targets should be 6’7” wing Michael Ajayi from Pepperdine. Forget HS ranking because he was unranked. That’s another issue. But he is currently projected if he entered the drafted right now to go in the 2nd round. Very skilled and handle similar to Bryce Hamilton. But is much bigger shoots the 3 at 47%. But he is also a plus rebounder at 9.9 rpg which is huge and directly addresses another weakness …..rebounding.

UNLV had no answer for Ajayi:

Every team in the country wants this kid. I just pray he doesn't end up with Reno or the Aztecs.

Reactions: LVRebel2000
Every team in the country wants this kid. I just pray he doesn't end up with Reno or the Aztecs.
No question. What impressed most on the video was the iso on Boone at the end of the tape where he pulled Boone away from the basket to create space and crossed him over, then between the legs, another cross over and then took Boone off the bounce to his left. Very impressive skill set and handle at a legit 6’7” and 220lbs.

The way I see it. UNLV is currently paying KK on the cheap. So get together a decent NIL package and make a run at this kid. Because the only positions I feel comfortable with for next year is the 1 and the 5. Cherry will be fine with his size, skill set and motor. N’Diaye will add depth and IMO, not only is he bigger than Mbacke, but he is much further along in his development at the same age. He will get Karl Jone type minutes. But 2-4 are big questions IMO.

Last edited:
No question. What impressed most on the video was the iso on Boone at the end of the tape where he pulled Boone away from the basket to create space and crossed him over, then between the legs, another cross over and then took Boone off the bounce to his left. Very impressive skill set and handle at a legit 6’7” and 220lbs.

The way I see it. UNLV is currently paying KK on the cheap. So get together a decent NIL package and make a run at this kid. Because the only positions I feel comfortable with for next year is the 1 and the 5. Cherry will be fine with his size, skill set and motor. N’Diaye will add depth and IMO, not only is he bigger than Mbacke, but he is much further along in his development at the same age. He will get Karl Jone type minutes. But 2-4 are big questions IMO.
No Whaley?

Kevin.
Is essentially building a new team over again, We are probably gonna have 7. To 8 new players on our team.

3=Hill and 4=Whaley hopefully?

'You ramble' is what I was trying to say in a polite way.
So just say I'm long-winded, there are times where that's 100% true. But the beautiful thing about message boards is you don't have to read or interact with anything I write. I can be verbose and you can have bad takes and when I call them out you can just pretend like you didn't see it.
Your opinion matters less to me than what I wipe from my *** when I sit on a toilet.
Do you write messages about how little you care to your toilet paper too? That's a very ironic way of illustrating your apathy. God your diary must be right out of Mean Girls, I'm glad you're protecting me from that.
But go back to thinking you're important. It would pain me to harm your precious ego (or I'd delight in it).
Aren't you just a brooding mystery! I wonder which it is!?!

Reactions: RRebel
No Whaley?
I like Whaley and feel he is a nice player that will contribute. I like his toughness and attitude. But what does he excel at? Also, is he a starter or more of a role player on a potential ncaa tourney team? How would you compare him to the players the played the 4 on the past two UNLV ncaa teams like Moser or Bennett?

Reactions: UNLVINMD
I like Whaley and feel he is a nice player that will contribute. I like his toughness and attitude. But what does he excel at? Also, is he a starter or more of a role player on a potential ncaa tourney team? How would you compare him to the players the played the 4 on the past two UNLV ncaa teams like Moser or Bennett?
In isolation I think that's a solid point. Whaley isn't on the level of a Moser or Bennett. But I do think he compares pretty favorably to Gaston Essengue or Renee Rogeau who were both pretty important parts of tournament teams. If you're looking for your 4 to be the focal point of your offense then Whaley probably isn't going to be your guy night in and out, but he can win games for you with a surrounding cast some nights.

Reactions: djmonje
1-DJ/Portal backup
2-Portal/Brooklyn
3-Hill/Portal/Evans
4-Whaley/Cottrell/Portal
5-Cherry/N’Diaye/Karl
Exactly. I don’t see the need to gut the whole roster. Especially, the younger players like Hicks and Barnnabie who are young and have an upside. It’s just my observation. But IMO a retrospective analysis is insightful as it relates to team talent. I like Whaley and I feel he would be a valuable part of a rotation. But is he closer in talent to Quentrell Thomas or Mike Moser for example? I see Thomas.

Reactions: butta1231
In isolation I think that's a solid point. Whaley isn't on the level of a Moser or Bennett. But I do think he compares pretty favorably to Gaston Essengue or Renee Rogeau who were both pretty important parts of tournament teams. If you're looking for your 4 to be the focal point of your offense then Whaley probably isn't going to be your guy night in and out, but he can win games for you with a surrounding cast some nights.
Good points. But Rogeau his senior year averaged 10.9 ppg and 6.7 rbg. With Gaston his numbers were slightly lower, but he only played just over 20 mpg at 7.6 ppg and 5.0 rpg because he shared time with Joel in the post. Do you feel Whaley is capable of similar production next year?

But Rogeau his senior year averaged 10.9 ppg and 6.7 rbg
I was just looking at production in NCAA years because that was the comparison you set above. Senior Renee had a better season than Junior Rob Whaley, but I didn't expand the window to include him in my response. I think that it's not unthinkable that his numbers improve by 15% given the increased minutes he'd get as a starter.

With Gaston his numbers were slightly lower, but he only played just over 20 mpg at 7.6 ppg and 5.0 rpg because he shared time with Joel in the post

That team was also kind of weird in fairness. Joe Darger and Corey Bailey both logged not insubstantial minutes as the 4 and the 5, Gaston and Joel shared a decent amount of minutes on the floor at the same time at times, and Wendell White would also play a bit of the 4 that year. Gaston also spent a lot more time getting the ball at the elbow/high post so it's not an apples to apples comparison.

Do you feel Whaley is capable of similar production next year?
I think without improvement to his game (developing some new post moves, developing his outside shot, improving his handles) or without a shooter to add to the perimeter to make the defense play honest giving you about the same numbers is a pretty reasonable assumption. If we improve the cast around him or he adds a new wrinkle to his game I could see him being improved and getting 10 and 6.

1-DJ/Portal backup
2-Portal/Brooklyn
3-Hill/Portal/Evans
4-Whaley/Cottrell/Portal
5-Cherry/N’Diaye/Karl
I don’t think Hill should be a starter, maybe a sixth man type because we need someone with much better skill at the 2-3 spots to flank DJ. We need two long and athletic type guys who can create space off the dribble and score at all 3 levels on the perimeter, in the paint and at the rim like that Ajayi kid at Pepperdine!

Last edited:
Just an observation. But IMO the biggest hole in Whaley’s game is rebounding. Even when extrapolated over 40 minutes his rebound total is only 6.8 rpg. Not good from your starting 4 if you have ncaa ambitions.

Last edited:
Just an observation. But IMO the biggest hole in Whaley’s game is rebounding. Even when extrapolated over 40 minutes his rebound total is only 6.8 rpg. Not good from your starting 4 if you have ncaa ambitions.
I know that stats are important but Whaley is another "dog" that we need next year. Why the hell are we talking about next year. We will see where UNLV plays tomorrow.

Given his size, position and role, his rebounding was pretty awful.

Reactions: Rebel Hoya
If Cherry is decent (8-6) and Hill performs like than last year (11-6) Whaley will be a beast. They won't be able to double Whaley and DTJ at the same time.
Boone received the majority of the doubles in the post. But my gripe is rebounding. Also, Whaley needs to get in better shape.I do like his toughness and team first attitude. But he needs to board a lot better IMO. Also, I agree with the poster above. I see Hill more of a glue guy and a 6th man.

Boone received the majority of the doubles in the post. But my gripe is rebounding. Also, Whaley needs to get in better shape.I do like his toughness and team first attitude. But he needs to board a lot better IMO. Also, I agree with the poster above. I see Hill more of a glue guy and a 6th man.
So if you don't think HIll is good enough to be a starter, and you don't think Whaley is good enough to be a starter on a NCAA caliber team then are you saying we basically need a whole new front court? If you think someone with 70 starts in the B12 and MWC is a 6th man/glue guy type, then how can you be confident of Bear Cherry or Pape being ready for prime time minutes given that they have a much worse resume than either Whaley or Hill at this point.

Reactions: RRebel
Given his size, position and role, his rebounding was pretty awful.
This was as bad a rebounding team as I've ever seen in the Scarlet and Gray. Your front court didn't even average 9 rpg, and with how poor a shooting team we were that's saying a lot. LuRod and KeBoone where your two best rebounders if you don't count Hill. With Whaley's first jump you would think that he'd be able to get 8 a game in his sleep.

Reactions: UNLVINMD
This was as bad a rebounding team as I've ever seen in the Scarlet and Gray. Your front court didn't even average 9 rpg, and with how poor a shooting team we were that's saying a lot. LuRod and KeBoone where your two best rebounders if you don't count Hill. With Whaley's first jump you would think that he'd be able to get 8 a game in his sleep.
As bad as the Rebs rebound, how did Rebels managed to stays so close in games that they are badly out rebounded? SDSU and SMC for example

So if you don't think HIll is good enough to be a starter, and you don't think Whaley is good enough to be a starter on a NCAA caliber team then are you saying we basically need a whole new front court? If you think someone with 70 starts in the B12 and MWC is a 6th man/glue guy type, then how can you be confident of Bear Cherry or Pape being ready for prime time minutes given that they have a much worse resume than either Whaley or Hill at this point.
My take. Also, I don’t care where they played or where the player comes from. UNLV has 3 holes in the starting line up for next year that IMO has to be filled if KK has any hope of retaining his job next year and that’s at the 2, 3 and 4. Can he get by with only filling 2 of the 3 by bringing a scoring and rebounding 4 and a nice 2 guard with Hill staring at the 3. Probably. But I will go back to my original point in looking at past UNLV tourney teams. Didn’t Chase Stanback and Bryce Dejean Jones start at the 3? Do you feel Hill is better?

Reactions: bcvegaspt
My take. Also, I don’t care where they played or where the player comes from. UNLV has 3 holes in the starting line up for next year that IMO has to be filled if KK has any hope of retaining his job next year and that’s at the 2, 3 and 4. Can he get by with only filling 2 of the 3 by bringing a scoring and rebounding 4 and a nice 2 guard with Hill staring at the 3. Probably. But I will go back to my original point in looking at past UNLV tourney teams. Didn’t Chase Stanback and Bryce Dejean Jones start at the 3? Do you feel Hill is better?
Beside the PG with DJ, what other position (s) do you think we are stable, Tim? I understand that everything seems unstable after a loss. UNLV is a team that no one want to face when fully healthy this year. If we get into the NIT, if healthy...P5 teams better be ready.

Trip, SDSU out rebounded UNLV 50-31. That’s why UNLV lost. Also, last I check for the year was 197th in the country in rebounding margin. Not good.
Yet, the game went into OT and the SMC game went into 2 OT. Those are two hard fought games. F*ck the stats for once and figure out how we can win in these close games. SDSU played like they are completely exhausted today against UNM. I dont know if we can beat USU after thAT BRUTal game vs SDSU but dammit, I would love to see us try. We might slips into a #12 seed tomorrow in the NCAA selection. Never know...

Reactions: Oscar_m89
No!
Hill is as pedestrian as you can get, more of a utility type of player!

My take. Also, I don’t care where they played or where the player comes from. UNLV has 3 holes in the starting line up for next year that IMO has to be filled if KK has any hope of retaining his job next year and that’s at the 2, 3 and 4.
I think my point here wasn't trying to argue with your take so much as understand why known commodities with relatively good Division 1 tape are question marks but a JuCo big or a project freshman who are the best shot to earn the starting role are not question marks.
But I will go back to my original point in looking at past UNLV tourney teams. Didn’t Chase Stanback and Bryce Dejean Jones start at the 3? Do you feel Hill is better?
They're all such different players but I won't cop out of answering your question. With all things being equal I'd probably put Stanbeck first out of those three. He wasn't a great defender but he wasn't terrible, and wasn't a good rebounder but had a great shot and was sort of sneaky athletic. Whether I take Hill or BDJ depends on if I need points or everything else. Don't forget what a high usage player BDJ was, he needed the ball a lot to be effective and was a problem in the locker room, and I think that Hill does his best work as a garbage man and seems to be a + in the locker room. Given the offense we seen, there's something attractive to me about guys with great advanced metrics and low usage.

But if we're going to look at tournament teams, I think he's better than Corey Bailey everywhere but on defense. I'd give a big nod to Stanbeck, and the tiniest of nods to BDJ given the offensive limitations of the squad on paper so far. However Hill also brings a ton of position flexibility, can really play the 3-5, can guard 1-5, has a little bit of handles and was probably the best rebounder on the team prior to his injury. And got you 11 and 6 with only a 17% usage before the injury.

Beside the PG with DJ, what other position (s) do you think we are stable, Tim? I understand that everything seems unstable after a loss. UNLV is a team that no one want to face when fully healthy this year. If we get into the NIT, if healthy...P5 teams better be ready.
IMO DJ will be one of the top pg’s in the nation. Also, at center Bear, Barnnabie and N’Diaye will adequately man the 5.

Man, I still dont understand why Kalib Boone cannot play against SDSU game after 6 days layoff with a sprained ankle. I saw the Lady Rebels player taped her ankle and plays...f*cking pu$$y.

IMO DJ will be one of the top pg’s in the nation. Also, at center Bear, Barnnabie and N’Diaye will adequately man the 5.
We dont know that, Tim about the players at C position. I've heard good thing about Bear Cherry but not so much about the rest. That is not equatable. We got DJ and Whaley next year and MAYBE, MAYBE Brooklyn Hicks. Nowell lost my vote with that middle of play arguing with the ball in his hands. Idiotic.

We dont know that, Tim about the players at C position. I've heard good thing about Bear Cherry but not so much about the rest. That is not equatable. We got DJ and Whaley next year and MAYBE, MAYBE Brooklyn Hicks. Nowell lost my vote with that middle of play arguing with the ball in his hands. Idiotic.
Yeah; putting the cart way before the horse with the assumption that we will be adequate up front with those three. I mean, they certainly will score more than 14 points amongst themselves during conference play, I think even the peanut vendor matched that this season.

But more times than not; the new guys give us a quarter of what we attribute in the offseason.

You asked my opinion and I gave it. Right? Barnnabie is a strong 6’9” with a motor. Runs the court well. I have seen him play personally. Also, some want to compare Pape to Mbacke. Pape is bigger and more advanced. But after his showing at Pangos top 100 Pape where he had 4.8 blocks per game he is considered one of the top 3 rim protectors coming out of high school and at 7’ he runs the floor like 6’6”.

My point is this. This is not 80’s and 90’s basketball where it is expected that the post will provide a lot of scoring. But UNLV will be tougher and more physical in the paint. Also, a better rebounding team. Actually, on rebounding there is no place to go but up when a team is 197 in rebounding margin.

Reactions: Rstaker50
I don’t think Hill should be a starter, maybe a sixth man type because we need someone with much better skill at the 2-3 spots to flank DJ. We need two long and athletic type guys who can create space off the dribble and score at all 3 levels on the perimeter, in the paint and at the rim like that Ajayi kid at Pepperdine!
Agreed. In fact I’ve got no issues recruiting over anyone on the team via the portal other than DJ of course. Hill would definitely make a strong 6th man.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT