ADVERTISEMENT

What would it take for you to support a Coach Sanchez return for next year

What would it take for you to support a Coach Sanchez return for next year

• Total voters

RebNReno

NBA Draft Pick
Oct 17, 2015
Season has went to $h!t - could you see yourself supporting a CTS return for season 5?

Nothing. It is not about wins. It is about the basics : discipline exicusion leadership heart. With this the wins will come. We sometimes focus on the end result. The end result is a product of being 1-2 percent better than the apponwnt in 20 categories. This is not rocket surgery. With tears as a die hard fan.

2 - 10. No Reno. We are completely inept.
Nothing. It is not about wins. It is about the basics : discipline exicusion leadership heart. With this the wins will come. We sometimes focus on the end result. The end result is a product of being 1-2 percent better than the apponwnt in 20 categories. This is not rocket surgery. With tears as a die hard fan.
Agree with this.

When you have everything in place or near in place (which would put you in the top 1/3rd, I’d say, then it’s all about the wins or losses. Until you get there, you have to look deeper than wins and losses. And wins can be contrived, like our two wins against complete nobodies this season or half our basketball OOC wins - they’re gimmies, they don’t tell you jack about your team, they don’t make you better, they give false confidence, they only contribute to smokescreen. You can fake your way to x amount of wins.

Growth, improvement, depth, identity/philosophy, toughness, etc.... are they there? Are they present enough?

But a lot of us were fooled in the early going because the defense didn’t look great, but they did look significantly improved. A month later and they look worse. Same thing happened in basketball last season.

Agree with this.

When you have everything in place or near in place (which would put you in the top 1/3rd, I’d say, then it’s all about the wins or losses. Until you get there, you have to look deeper than wins and losses. And wins can be contrived, like our two wins against complete nobodies this season or half our basketball OOC wins - they’re gimmies, they don’t tell you jack about your team, they don’t make you better, they give false confidence, they only contribute to smokescreen. You can fake your way to x amount of wins.

Growth, improvement, depth, identity/philosophy, toughness, etc.... are they there? Are they present enough?

But a lot of us were fooled in the early going because the defense didn’t look great, but they did look significantly improved. A month later and they look worse. Same thing happened in basketball last season.

My opinions are heavily influenced by Vince Lombardi. Nuf said? I am an educator at the post graduate leaval and I constantly quote great coaches.

I support the program, and wish success whoever may be coach.
Personally I think CTS is coming back regardless of the outcome of the season.
I don't think we can afford to fire and hire someone new.
I think we are a year away from this job becoming exponentially more appealing for a potential new hire.
All other recent UNLV coaches were afforded 5 years with multiple 2 win (or worse) seasons, this may end up being his first.

All that being said, there needs to be a significant turn around in 2019. If not he is out. We cannot allow ourselves to open the new stadium with the same old same old. We need some buzz or excitement. 2 more year of mediocre or worse results won't do that.

Last edited:
All other recent UNLV coaches were afforded 5 years with multiple 2 win (or worse) seasons, this may end up being his first.

The thing for me is those past coaches had to show significant improvement in year 4 to warrant the fifth year. At least with both of them you could make a (weak) case that the team was getting better. Bobby won 7 games and made a bowl game. While Sanford went 5-7 against a very difficult schedule and won 2 Power Five games that year- Arizona State and Iowa State.

I understand what your saying and believe me I am thankful I didn't have to sit through 3 straight 2 win seasons but by year 4 I expect the team to be better. By year 4 I want actual wins and not excuses. I need to see at least a few more wins down the stretch to feel like Sanchez hasn't totally lost this team. A 2-10 season with this pathetically weak schedule would just confirm to me that he's in over his head.

Hearing DRF's comments after the SJSU game makes me believe that she'll make a change if UNLV loses out. “It’s a disappointing loss,” Reed-Francois said. “We have four games left. We’ll review everything top to bottom after those four games. Right now my job is to support this football program and that’s what we’re going to do. These young men deserve that.”

The thing for me is those past coaches had to show significant improvement in year 4 to warrant the fifth year. At least with both of them you could make a (weak) case that the team was getting better. Bobby won 7 games and made a bowl game. While Sanford went 5-7 against a very difficult schedule and won 2 Power Five games that year- Arizona State and Iowa State.

I understand what your saying and believe me I am thankful I didn't have to sit through 3 straight 2 win seasons but by year 4 I expect the team to be better. By year 4 I want actual wins and not excuses. I need to see at least a few more wins down the stretch to feel like Sanchez hasn't totally lost this team. A 2-10 season with this pathetically weak schedule would just confirm to me that he's in over his head.

Hearing DRF's comments after the SJSU game makes me believe that she'll make a change if UNLV loses out. “It’s a disappointing loss,” Reed-Francois said. “We have four games left. We’ll review everything top to bottom after those four games. Right now my job is to support this football program and that’s what we’re going to do. These young men deserve that.”
That’s a pretty standard, non-commital, AD response to situations like these. Doesn’t lend itself to either position, really.

Reactions: dcut03
That’s a pretty standard, non-commital, AD response to situations like these. Doesn’t lend itself to either position, really.
It has to be on the table! Look at Sanchez face. Looks like dead man walking.IF he loses out he has to be gone. What is to review at the end of the season if u have no intentions on firing him. We are 26 point underdogs next week and probably double digit underdogs the rest of the season.

If we have any boosters who pony up the money, Sanchez is gone, if not he's back next year then gone.
Watching AF game on TV, I noticed how small the defensive unit is and lacks speed, it's like watching MD defense against big teams in Big Ten, can't compete.
To give up 50 against San Jose says enough is enough.

I call BS on that.

We looked like an Orange Bowl contender when we played UTEP.

Bad teams tend to make you look a lot better than you are...
I call BS on that.

We looked like an Orange Bowl contender when we played UTEP.

Bad teams tend to make you look a lot better than you are...

In terms of losing tradition... Although the Miners at time have had some success.

Our recruiting has been much more favorable to the offensive side of the ball. That has improved the last couple of years, but there is still a discrepancy. It sucks for Skipper since he just got here, but if they are afforded another year, maybe look for more immediate impact recruits, whether it is JC or 4 year transfers next season.

Reactions: Sam-I-am
Our recruiting has been much more favorable to the offensive side of the ball. That has improved the last couple of years, but there is still a discrepancy. It sucks for Skipper since he just got here, but if they are afforded another year, maybe look for more immediate impact recruits, whether it is JC or 4 year transfers next season.

We’ve been patching the defense with JC guys since year two. You eventually have to pay for it, which we are.

We’ve been patching the defense with JC guys since year two. You eventually have to pay for it, which we are.

That implies the defense was better at one point. It all seems the same to me.

That implies the defense was better at one point. It all seems the same to me.

Well, if it is getting worse... and we are ranked worse in opponents point per game than last year... then it was “better”.

I am of the opinion that you give Coach Sanchez at lest 1 more year. I see positive intangibles. He has pulled the program out of the dumpster and is cleaning it up. He has brought funding and attention to the program that had been neglected. Sanchez spent most of his first 3 years recruiting Offense and last year was his first season going after more Defense. Of the 13 D players only 3 have seen action this year but it is not unusual for true freshman to sit or redshirt. According to Sanchez, 43 players coming back on Offense next year so we are solid there. Next year, of the 25 new scholarships we have 11 commits, 5 on O, 4 on D and 2 listed as athletes. With Coach Skipper settled in, he can boost recruiting on D, maybe bring in some JUCO D talent that can make an immediate impact and bring the younger players into action. I am tired of the 4 year cycle of firing coaches and rebuilding. I think Coach Sanchez has done just enough to earn next season. Plus there are the financials, we would owe Sanchez $900,000 PLUS 1.8 million in assistant coaches salaries since Coach Sanchez was the first HC to demand the assistants get contracts. Reality, we would need millions to replace him and bring in a whole new staff just to be where we are right now or worse. I am also not sure that we can even make a major hire right now since we have an interim University President. I have heard they won't replace the interim until Jessup contract official ends so that position is in limbo as well.

My point has been that we haven't seen many impact recruits on the Defensive side of the ball until the past few years, and Skipper seemed to help with that.

Some of these guys wont be that good for a few years.

My point is that we may have to be even more aggressive with immediate impact recruits this upcoming season because if they get one more year, they will have little room for error.

Reactions: Rebel Chi-girl
I support CTS and what he is trying to accomplish. Just getting the facility up is something no one has been able to get done. Not Robinson, Sanford, Hauck or any of our illustrious AD’s. That is a huge accomplishment. I would think that with the stadium 1 year away our recruiting should tick up again. I do think Sanchez has upped our recruiting significantly.

That said I would like to see a number of big running backs recruited to play the defensive side of the ball as LB’s & Safeties much like TCU did.

I have always been a supporter of CTS...but bottom line is this year was kind of a, make it or break it, type year being his 4th season .... he shit the bed this year...coaching jobs are tough...he deserve to be fired now IMO...unless he wins out the rest of the year and miraculously saves his ass, but that aint gonna happen.

Last edited:
I have always been a supporter of CTS...but bottom line is this year was kind of a make or break it or break type year being his 4th season .... he shit the bed this year...coaching jobs are tough...he deserve to be fired now IMO...unless he wins out the rest of the year and miraculously saves his ass, but that aint gonna happen.

I agree Brotherman. The progress has been slow but was there until this year. This seems to be a pattern of late. He must go. And there is no way we win out. We get BLOWN out, yes.BUT, do not replace one bum with another or the Rebel base will be non-existent. Oh, facilities or recruits do not win games. Great coaching does. I'll take a great coach and average players every time.....

Reactions: rebelwithacause
I agree Brotherman. The progress has been slow but was there until this year. This seems to be a pattern of late. He must go. And there is no way we win out. We get BLOWN out, yes.BUT, do not replace one bum with another or the Rebel base will be non-existent. Oh, facilities or recruits do not win games. Great coaching does. I'll take a great coach and average players every time.....

DJ Durkin is available. Probably pretty cheap at this point too.

Ex AD Jim Livengood was on the radio the other day and he made a few good points. He felt that Sanchez has made a big difference beyond W & L for UNLV FB. He said that he felt Coach Sanchez should be given a 5th year because UNLV has fallen into a pattern of firing coaches every 3-4 years before they get a chance to complete the rebuild plus and probably a better point, you shouldn't fire the coach unless you are prepared to spend the money to bring a big name coach to UNLV and have him ready to be announced otherwise you lose recruits and set the program back to rebuild again. He said he didn't think UNLV had that kind of financial support yet. He said he was impressed with Desiree an the job she has been doing at UNLV so far.

.... Plus there are the financials, we would owe Sanchez $900,000 PLUS 1.8 million in assistant coaches salaries since Coach Sanchez was the first HC to demand the assistants get contracts. Reality, we would need millions to replace him and bring in a whole new staff just to be where we are right now or worse. ...

Great post but only one assistant coach is on a multi-year contract now [Tim Skipper]. The rest were moved to one season contracts. It was one of the major reasons why we lost John Garrison to FAU and had to replace him with who FAU had fired.

You are still 100% on point regarding the funding situation. I think it would be a waste of money to fire any of the staff right now, except, maybe, O'Dell who has been the worst part of the offensive staff and there are plenty of QB coaches who would work for the same salary. Firing anyone else makes no sense under the current budget constraints. We aren't going to be able to afford anyone better at most spots. We actually have guys who are at bargain rates for coaches like Cotton and Samuel who are also excellent recruiters. If money isn't a huge issue but it is still too big of an issue to fire TS, then fire Tim Skipper. If money is the huge issue that I think it is, then give Skipper another year but he needs to get legit JUCOs to come in and be difference makers.

Last edited:
Reactions: Rebel Chi-girl
Ex AD Jim Livengood was on the radio the other day and he made a few good points. He felt that Sanchez has made a big difference beyond W & L for UNLV FB. He said that he felt Coach Sanchez should be given a 5th year because UNLV has fallen into a pattern of firing coaches every 3-4 years before they get a chance to complete the rebuild plus and probably a better point, you shouldn't fire the coach unless you are prepared to spend the money to bring a big name coach to UNLV and have him ready to be announced otherwise you lose recruits and set the program back to rebuild again. He said he didn't think UNLV had that kind of financial support yet. He said he was impressed with Desiree an the job she has been doing at UNLV so far.
So Desiree shouldn’t act like Tina. That’s always gonna be solid advice for any AD.

You only pay for it when you missed on those JUCOs and when you didn't sign enough of them, we failed on both of those points. Time to get it right this time. If Bill Snyder could do it at Kansas State, then TS can do it at UNLV with an NFL stadium opening in 2020.

Last edited:
You only pay for it when you missed on those JUCOs and when you didn't sign enough of them, we failed on both of those regards. Time to get it right this time. If Bill Snyder could do it at Kansas State, then TS can do it at UNLV with a NFL stadium opening in 2020.
I really don’t think this comes down to “does he deserve another year” so much as it comes down to what can UNLV do when you take all the unique aspects into consideration.

Should he be fired or not doesn’t really matter, IMO. UNLV simply (at least as I know it) cannot do anything. Unless certain things are being kept very close to the vest.

Best thing to do is hope for recruiting to do well, team to finish respectably and without critical injuries and hope things start coming together next season.

Reactions: Sam-I-am
I really don’t think this comes down to “does he deserve another year” so much as it comes down to what can UNLV do when you take all the unique aspects into consideration.

Should he be fired or not doesn’t really matter, IMO. UNLV simply (at least as I know it) cannot do anything. Unless certain things are being kept very close to the vest.

Best thing to do is hope for recruiting to do well, team to finish respectably and without critical injuries and hope things start coming together next season.
Indeed.

You only pay for it when you missed on those JUCOs and when you didn't sign enough of them, we failed on both of those points. Time to get it right this time. If Bill Snyder could do it at Kansas State, then TS can do it at UNLV with an NFL stadium opening in 2020.

Sorry, it's not going to happen.

Why should UNLV be held hostage by Fertitta money?

Maybe CTS should talk to coaches that have taken shit fb programs and turned them around. KState, NW, Temple. Those were real shit programs for a long time yet there were coaches who were finally able to get it going.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT