ADVERTISEMENT

We are in business now folks!

If Sluka signs, Williams would probably leave. If they competed in Spring and the best man won would be the best possible scenario for UNLV!

Reactions: LVRebel2000
If Sluka signs, Williams would probably leave. If they competed in Spring and the best man won would be the best possible scenario for UNLV!
IMO there is no way Sluka does not start. He will have a high impact and perfect for the offense.

A good friend of mine is an HC alumni (he was Brian Kelly's roommate) and took me to their game against BC. BC is pretty awful defensively and he went off against them running the ball. He is definitely good with his feet. They almost won at the end but he fumbled the ball in FG range on a run. If memory serves he was holding the ball with one hand so not the best play. I wasn't really impressed with his passing ability though. Lots of check downs and he missed a wide open TE that would have given them the lead in the 3rd. Can't judge by one game either I understand. Hopefully his passing is better than what I saw that day. But he can definitely run the ball. I think he could use to gain a few pounds.

Reactions: bcvegaspt
A good friend of mine is an HC alumni (he was Brian Kelly's roommate) and took me to their game against BC. BC is pretty awful defensively and he went off against them running the ball. He is definitely good with his feet. They almost won at the end but he fumbled the ball in FG range on a run. If memory serves he was holding the ball with one hand so not the best play. I wasn't really impressed with his passing ability though. Lots of check downs and he missed a wide open TE that would have given them the lead in the 3rd. Can't judge by one game either I understand. Hopefully his passing is better than what I saw that day. But he can definitely run the ball. I think he could use to gain a few pounds.
This key for this our offense. The threat of throwing the ball is twofold, keep WR’s engaged and keeping the defense honest. It looks like he is a good runner but captain check down we don’t need and Ricky White probably won’t be happen with that either, keep that in mind. We need a guy who can run and can throw down field, so I hope Williams stays in the mix because he appears to be able to do both pretty well!

This key for this our offense. The threat of throwing the ball is twofold, keep WR’s engaged and keeping the defense honest. It looks like he is a good runner but captain check down we don’t need and Ricky White probably won’t be happen with that either, keep that in mind. We need a guy who can run and can throw down field, so I hope Williams stays in the mix because he appears to be able to do both pretty well!

For what it's worth Sluka was #8 in FCS in yards per completion so it doesn't look like he was a big check down guy.

I had never heard of Sluka, but after looking him up and the number of higher level programs that had an interest in him, it appears he could even be a step up from Maiava. While the stats of Sluka are in a lower division, he appears to be head and shoulders above other QB's in the lower division.

Not only would he be a step up in regards to his running ability, he also appears to have better control of the ball compared to Maiava. I am not saying that by the time that Mailava is a senior he will not be a better QB, just that currently Sluka appears to give more options to UNLV for next season.

Now the question will be if UNLV can get a commit from him?

For what it's worth Sluka was #8 in FCS in yards per completion so it doesn't look like he was a big check down guy.
If we sign him we will see.
The check down comment I made was based on someone’s exposure to him in a live game. They said he checked down a lot.

The check down comment I made was based on someone’s exposure to him in a live game. They said he checked down a lot.
You mean that he changes play at the line of scrimmage a lot? Is that what checked down mean?

You mean that he changes play at the line of scrimmage a lot? Is that what checked down mean?
No!
Check down usually means when the QB is throwing dump passes or bubble screens, passes that are like long handoffs, avoiding passing the ball downfield. Now I don’t have any inside info on this guy but one of our posters said he watched him play one game and he seemed to check down a lot. And in response to that observation, I said we need a true “dual” threat to keep the defense honest. But this guy has a decent track record and looks like a decent prospect!

Reactions: 1Tripoda
No!
Check down usually means when the QB is throwing dump passes or bubble screens, passes that are like long handoffs, avoiding passing the ball downfield. Now I don’t have any inside info on this guy but one of our posters said he watched him play one game and he seemed to check down a lot. And in response to that observation, I said we need a true “dual” threat to keep the defense honest. But this guy has a decent track record and looks like a decent prospect!
Sluka is the definition of a dual threat QB.

It could have been just that game, maybe the game plan was for him to run because if memory serves he ran like 20 times. He checked down a lot and BC doesn't have the best secondary, but maybe he was so successful with his feet they decided not to pass as much. BC was better against the run than the pass this season but the HC game was the opposite. Not sure how many time he went down field I just remember the one he missed. But I know one game doesn't necessarily mean anything. On the other hand not sure how many non-FCS games HC played this year they play UMass and UConn periodically but those would mean more to me than the FCS competition.

Reactions: Bullmastiff 1
Just texted my friend who took me, he has seen him play three more times and said he is a much better passer than what we saw against BC. Accuracy is a little inconsistent, compared him to Desmond Ridder (just in terms of his arm) can have really accurate games but will have games where he isn't feeling it and has trouble getting on track and that they use the run a lot more those games. He said that was the case with BC. He had one other game like that this season, but the other games he passed downfield with good success and had a healthy mix of run/pass.

Correct and I was simply providing stats suggesting that a single game probably shouldn't be viewed or used as a barometer.

He was 10-15 for 130 yards in the game.

It could have been just that game, maybe the game plan was for him to run because if memory serves he ran like 20 times. He checked down a lot and BC doesn't have the best secondary, but maybe he was so successful with his feet they decided not to pass as much. BC was better against the run than the pass this season but the HC game was the opposite. Not sure how many time he went down field I just remember the one he missed. But I know one game doesn't necessarily mean anything. On the other hand not sure how many non-FCS games HC played this year they play UMass and UConn periodically but those would mean more to me than the FCS competition.

100% agree with all of that..

I watched two games this year, he runs and pass with great efficiency. I have to look for the BC game to see why the checked down was used. HC seems to have decent receivers so...

I watched two games this year, he runs and pass with great efficiency. I have to look for the BC game to see why the checked down was used. HC seems to have decent receivers so...

Chreck downs aren't necessarily a bad thing.

I wouldn't put much into one game.

I'd rather a QB check down to a running back vs put the ball in danger by forcing a throw.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT