ADVERTISEMENT

USC sabotaged PAC expansion….

TimothyC3

Rebel Legend
Gold Member
May 29, 2001
Last edited:
Also, it can be argued IMO the best event that will benefit UNLV athletics long term was the blowing up of the old PAC 12. Remember this is the same nucleus of leaders that said NO to adding Texas and Oklahoma as expansion candidates. Under the old composition of the PAC 12 they would have never considered UNLV as an expansion candidate no matter the level of improvement in athletics and academics.

Also, it can be argued IMO the best event that will benefit UNLV athletics long term was the blowing up of the old PAC 12. Remember this is the same nucleus of leaders that said NO to adding Texas and Oklahoma as expansion candidates. Under the old composition of the PAC 12 they would have never considered UNLV as an expansion candidate no matter the level of improvement in athletics and academics.
1 less “power conference” and less room in the BIG12 is not a good thing for UNLV.

Reactions: rebel5280
1 less “power conference” and less room in the BIG12 is not a good thing for UNLV.
What makes you think the Big 12 in its current form will last? Based on history with the South West Conference, Big 8 and Big 12 in it’s different forms it won’t.

Big 12 is great hoops, football doesn't have national team. ACC at least has clemson, this is driven by football for Big 10 and SEC to get as many teams in playoff, that simple.

I love for UNLV to get into Big 12, if UNLV ever tries they are sleeping giant, is it too late? Time will tell!

What makes you think the Big 12 in its current form will last? Based on history with the South West Conference, Big 8 and Big 12 in it’s different forms it won’t.
As years go by, lot's of one time powers will get tired of being also rans in large conferences and want a split up.

Reactions: TimothyC3
Big 12 is great hoops, football doesn't have national team. ACC at least has clemson, this is driven by football for Big 10 and SEC to get as many teams in playoff, that simple.
The ACC is in a tough spot, they could end up getting eaten by the B10, SEC and Big 12. Clemson and FSU are as good as gone. The rumor now is they’re going to the B10. But don’t be surprised if the SEC swoops in and lands them. Once those 2 big dominoes fall, the rest of the ACC is going to panic.

Reactions: TimothyC3
As years go by, lot's of one time powers will get tired of being also rans in large conferences and want a split up.
I agree. Let’s see how UCLA reacts to playing their basketball conference tournament in the BIG at the United Center in Chicago or USC playing football in Indianapolis at their dome for the BIG Conference championship. Both ran the PAC. Michigan and Ohio State run the BIG.

I agree. Let’s see how UCLA reacts to playing their basketball conference tournament in the BIG at the United Center in Chicago or USC playing football in Indianapolis at their dome for the BIG Conference championship. Both ran the PAC. Michigan and Ohio State run the BIG.
Isn’t there talk of the BIG championship game being played ths the Rose Bowl? Not sure that works every year but maybe they start a rotation.

On ACC media rights thru 2035, FSU has boat load of lawyers trying if they can get out, if not they are stuck.

Until above ACC rights are fixed, outside of ND, I don't see Big or SEC doing anything.

What hell are PAC/MWC doing? Did they hire TK firm on who to bring in?

Crazy there’s no movement
Lots of stuff to be decided. Both ACC and Big 12 are still considering adding. ACC not looking too likely, but who knows. Big 12 was supposed to be meeting today to consider the additional school that they vetted. Stanford and Cal may be waiting for a final decision from the ACC before they make any decision on the Big 12. Not sure if B12 will wait, or offer the other 2, or only want them if all 4 go together? Or maybe none of them? Who knows, but yeah, you'd think it would happen relatively soon one way or the other.

Reactions: Rod_the_Rebel
Cal and Stanford need to wait for the ACC to make an announcement. They will wait as long as they need to because that is their only lifeline for a P4 conference.

If they are turned down by the ACC conference, then, in my opinion, before making a decision, they will need to have talks with the AAC and the MWC. The talks will revolve around television revenue of the conference if they decide to join. I don’t think there’s any guarantee that any of the four pack 12 conferences will join the Mountain West, if they can get more money from the AAC. Then it will revolve around that money and travel costs.

Stanford and Cal don’t need to make any decision about their future until they run up against deadlines about making an independent schedule. Both the Mountain West and the AAC would take either or both with no delay. When BYU went independent they announced on August 11. There were three teams on their schedule for the following year. They believed they would end up filling their schedule with WAC teams until they could get it better under control the following year.

As has been said before, Washington State, and Oregon State don’t have a lot of bargaining power here, and most likely will go wherever they can get the most money.

Therefore, I see this taking some time but not months. The ultimate deciding factor being timing of an independent schedule.

Last edited:
The independent schedule for football and hoop sounds impossible. Once conference season starts no one has openings. I do not see teams giving up their off week to play Stanford. They are not that great of draw.

Stanford
The independent schedule for football and hoop sounds impossible. Once conference season starts no one has openings. I do not see teams giving up their off week to play Stanford. They are not that great of draw.
Stanford has a boatload of money. I think they can afford to pay $1 or $2 million a game for an opponent. Money talks.

Reactions: bcvegaspt
Cal and Stanford need to wait for the ACC to make an announcement. They will wait as long as they need to because that is their only lifeline for a P4 conference.

If they are turned down by the ACC conference, then, in my opinion, before making a decision, they will need to have talks with the AAC and the MWC. The talks will revolve around television revenue of the conference if they decide to join. I don’t think there’s any guarantee that any of the four pack 12 conferences will join the Mountain West, if they can get more money from the AAC. Then it will revolve around that money and travel costs.

Stanford and Cal don’t need to make any decision about their future until they run up against deadlines about making an independent schedule. Both the Mountain West and the AAC would take either or both with no delay. When BYU went independent they announced on August 11. There were three teams on their schedule for the following year. They believed they would end up filling their schedule with WAC teams until they could get it better under control the following year.

As has been said before, Washington State, and Oregon State don’t have a lot of bargaining power here, and most likely will go wherever they can get the most money.

Therefore, I see this taking some time but not months. The ultimate deciding factor being timing of an independent schedule.
The funny thing about the ACC vote is the 'no' votes are apparently North Carolina, Clemson, Florida State, and NC State, 3 out of 4 of those are rumored to be actively trying to leave ACC.

The funny thing about the ACC vote is the 'no' votes are apparently North Carolina, Clemson, Florida State, and NC State, 3 out of 4 of those are rumored to be actively trying to leave ACC.
Stanford just needs to send checks to those school Presidents, quietly of course, and the next day those presidents will have had an epiphany moment and vote to let them in. What's the problem.

Stanford doesn't draw, there not in football to lose boat load of money now, them and Cal don't bring money too table.

USC holds grudges. They're still pissed about the whole Reggie Bush thing and how Penn State was let off the hook for child rape. No one had their back during that time. They were looking to screw over Pac-12 teams at every turn. They were looking to move to Big10 or the Big12 ever since TX and Oklahoma voiced their idea of 4 mega conferences. Once those 2 schools spurned the Pac-12 USC started things in motion. It's been a long time coming but they knew what they were doing.

Reactions: LVRebel2000
USC holds grudges. They're still pissed about the whole Reggie Bush thing and how Penn State was let off the hook for child rape. No one had their back during that time. They were looking to screw over Pac-12 teams at every turn. They were looking to move to Big10 or the Big12 ever since TX and Oklahoma voiced their idea of 4 mega conferences. Once those 2 schools spurned the Pac-12 USC started things in motion. It's been a long time coming but they knew what they were doing.
After watching the Johnny Manziel doc, why does he have a Heismann and Reggie Bush does not? He basically admitted to selling autografts, even after being caught!!

Reactions: LVRebel2000
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT