ADVERTISEMENT

UNLV vs UCLA

I am so glad I wasnt in the stadium, I would probably lose it...really crazy calls against UNLV.

Good game talent and dept caught up to us on the 4th quarter. I like Stanton a lot. He is not the normal squirmy fragile UNLV QB. This kid wants a fight. Defense needs to get better bigger and faster. So many missed tackles. I thought it was called fair on both ends. Watching Reno, USU and Wyo. I think this team can o damage in the MWC. We should win a lot of home games this year.

I totally disagree with you. We may not be close in regards to star ratings, but I believe our receivers and running backs are better, and I believe once the offense line has a couple of year under their belts will also be better than that of UCLA. I watched nothing in that game that showed me UCLA was much better. A dropped pass by Boyd to begin the game along with a game deciding penalty for targeting was the difference.

Doesn't help that a really bad call by the refs had more to decide who won then any other play during the game

There is no question that he hit the shoulder pad and not the helmet.

Reactions: RebelinWA
The more I see this, the more aggravated I get. They're trying to turn the game into soccer.

I understood the call in real time. With the opportunity to review it, I thought the flag should have been picked up. Initial contact was chest/shoulder area, can't help what happens beyond that point. Targeting should only be called for direct shots to the head, with the head or shoulders.

I understood the call in real time. With the opportunity to review it, I thought the flag should have been picked up. Initial contact was chest/shoulder area, can't help what happens beyond that point. Targeting should only be called for direct shots to the head, with the head or shoulders.
Real team, vicious hit, helmet flies off. I understand initial reaction.

But every game seems to have 50 camera angles and tons of stoppage time to review things. This thing moved on as if it were a 100 percent simple call, one that everyone saw, one that everyone would agree upon. That it was given such little review at such a crucial part of the game is aggravating.

Doesn't means UNLV wins the game. It's not like they were up 3 and that was the game winning drive for UCLA. But it'd have been interesting. UNLV had momentum, UCLA was on their heels. Who knows? That's why the game is played instead of allowing spreads to decide it.

Real team, vicious hit, helmet flies off. I understand initial reaction.

But every game seems to have 50 camera angles and tons of stoppage time to review things. This thing moved on as if it were a 100 percent simple call, one that everyone saw, one that everyone would agree upon. That it was given such little review at such a crucial part of the game is aggravating.

Doesn't means UNLV wins the game. It's not like they were up 3 and that was the game winning drive for UCLA. But it'd have been interesting. UNLV had momentum, UCLA was on their heels. Who knows? That's why the game is played instead of allowing spreads to decide it.

Yep. I thought for sure it would be overturned after review.

There was no guarantee that we would have scored on our next drive. Hell, we might have thrown a pick six, or snapped it over the QB 's head or fumbled the punt. However momentum is a funny thing and it sure felt like we had it at that time. Barney Cotton was calling a really good game.

That call in no way cost us the game, but it sure took the wind out of our sails.

UCLA fans around us were either really pissed or really quiet that whole 3rd quarter.

Yep. I thought for sure it would be overturned after review.

There was no guarantee that we would have scored on our next drive. Hell, we might have thrown a pick six, or snapped it over the QB 's head or fumbled the punt. However momentum is a funny thing and it sure felt like we had it at that time. Barney Cotton was calling a really good game.

That call in no way cost us the game, but it sure took the wind out of our sails.

UCLA fans around us were either really pissed or really quiet that whole 3rd quarter.

He shouldn't have been kicked out of the game. Isn't he out the first half versus central Michigan?

Or they don't call it when it is very clearly a targeting hit

I'm one of the people that doesn't like the rule period. Even in that one. Yeah, I can see where by rule that should have been called. I don't know. It's a fast game, it's reactionary, these guys are so quick. It's like you want the defender to take a full second to fully contemplate how he's going to try and break the play up.

The defense couldn't pass rush or stop the run. To me that is a big difference maker.

Very true.

Tackling and pass rush were a big issue again this week. Particularly in the 1st half.

Both got significantly better after halftime. Run defense also better until UCLA's last two drives where the defense looked gas.

The pass rush wasn't great, but they were able to sack Rosen once and get a couple pressures on the him in the second half.

A lot of good and bad to take from the 1st two weeks.

I think the positives outweigh the negatives so far.

Its a process. I feel better about where we are at than at any other time during Hauck's tenure. Can you imagine how strong our O line will be in two years? Imagine that, we have three home grown locals that have NFL potential that are really young.

Last edited:
Reactions: bcvegaspt
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT