ADVERTISEMENT

UPSET ALERT?

Only Halftime but with 2 military offenses eating the clock 20 points is a tall task. I was really hoping we’d get to play a ranked Air Force.

Reactions: j. spilotro
Too bad AFA isn’t having this game against a MWC foe. They need to falter down the stretch.
Exactly what I am thinking. That is UNLV meat. I dont know why people are cheering for Army. We need AFA to be undefeated until UNLV play them.

Reactions: LVRebel2000
Who we want to win today has little meaning compared to who we will all be cheering for when UNLV plays Afa. GO REBELS!

Reactions: Bullmastiff 1
Come on, Rivalry or not, Air Force hasn't looked as good since Larrier got hurt. He can't run anymore which takes a huge part of their offense away. Hes not a QB that's going to beat you with his arm and Air Force isn't built to throw 20 times a game and be successful. They got past Navy, got lucky CSU lost Horton and couldn't get out of its own way in the snow and got thumped this week...

Reactions: UNLVINMD
Air Force is good but jot unbeatable. The conference really isn't that good. I think UNL is just as good as the other top 3-4 teams.
But just like those teams we can win or lose to nearly anyone left on the schedule. Hopefully we finish strong and win out. Or at least get a seat in the championship game.

Army/AF rivalry game. Can’t translate that outcome to our game with AF. We’ll need to be at our best. Just keep winning the game in front of you.
Again, everyone said the same thing after AFA offense looked bad vs Navy. Then they beat a CSU team in snow that couldn't get out of its own way without much offense and today they looked terrible... it's not just a rivalry bubble. Larriers injury, whatever it is, has really caused their offense to step back and they're struggling on the ground. He threw 20+ passes today because the game script dictated, but that's not their strength. If we can force them to have to pass the ball, they're very beatable.

Again, everyone said the same thing after AFA offense looked bad vs Navy. Then they beat a CSU team in snow that couldn't get out of its own way without much offense and today they looked terrible... it's not just a rivalry bubble. Larriers injury, whatever it is, has really caused their offense to step back and they're struggling on the ground. He threw 20+ passes today because the game script dictated, but that's not their strength. If we can force them to have to pass the ball, they're very beatable.
Yes when a good player gets hurt it matters.

It's also familiarity seeing a very similiar offense in practice on a daily basis.

Their defense is still solid.

I feel better about our chances now vs two weeks ago.

It's also familiarity seeing a very similiar offense in practice on a daily basis.

It might snow again. Hopefully most of our players have played in the snow.

Our defense is what has surprised me. Not that it’s great, but it’s improve maybe even more drastically than our offense has as the season progresses.

They’re all signs of a solid foundation and philosophy in place, not a bunch of stop gap measures just trying to save a little face.

Our defense is what has surprised me. Not that it’s great, but it’s improve maybe even more drastically than our offense has as the season progresses.

They’re all signs of a solid foundation and philosophy in place, not a bunch of stop gap measures just trying to save a little face.

Defense surrenders a fair amount of yards.

But

They force a lot of turnovers, been better at getting to the QB, have been good at getting teams off the field on third down.

One of the side effects of Rebs scoring a lot, and often scoring quickly, opponents get more possessions. More possessions equals more yards.

I really like the potential for this defense as Odom adds more guys that fit what he wants to do.

Defense surrenders a fair amount of yards.

But

They force a lot of turnovers, been better at getting to the QB, have been good at getting teams off the field on third down.

One of the side effects of Rebs scoring a lot, and often scoring quickly, opponents get more possessions. More possessions equals more yards.

I really like the potential for this defense as Odom adds more guys that fit what he wants to do.
I was never worried yesterday, obviously, but when you score as quickly as we did - the whole "wear them down" with smashmouth runners kind of disappears.

Again, I keep going back to the same things - how we've been tackling in the open field has been night and day. Still some misses, but none too bad and they're usually stopped by the next guy. No 'ole and six yards off a guy. To me, that is HUGE. Sure, you may be more prone to the long ball, and we have been ... but I feel like it keeps the mindset on being the aggressor, not the slow reactor.

UNLV defense is brutal to me. The most brutal type. I saw this video of a lion keeping her prey alive just to play with it for awhile until it is time for a meal. I saw a shade of that last night.
Brennan Marion absolutely took advantage of UNM players conditioning. UNM players were gasping for air in teh first quarter. I knew it will turn ugly.

We also force a good amount of 3 and outs or 6 and outs if you know what I mean.

In terms of surrendering yards? Well yesterday was about us scoring fast with short fields. They dominated TOP because of our short possessions.
We actually struggled to get to the QB, but surprising the back end was much better at coverage, or Achilles heel of the defense up to this point.

The defense has improved drastically. UNM actually has a decent offense. And how we shut down Fresno for 3 quarters was impressive.

Wyoming could be a slugfest.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT