ADVERTISEMENT

UNLV vs CMU game thread

15 of 41 passing.....not good. I know those drops should've been caught, but the passes were pretty bad on most those drop, not all, but most.

I haven't been a huge fan of Cotton"so play calling since he's been here. Today and at UCLA, I think he ruined a few drives with bead calls....but oh well, this is the norm for a UNLV fb fan, we almost expect this....I tune in hoping for something different, but when this happens, I'm rarely upset about it.

15 of 41 passing.....not good. I know those drops should've been caught, but the passes were pretty bad on most those drop, not all, but most.

I haven't been a huge fan of Cotton"so play calling since he's been here. Today and at UCLA, I think he ruined a few drives with bead calls....but oh well, this is the norm for a UNLV fb fan, we almost expect this....I tune in hoping for something different, but when this happens, I'm rarely upset about it.
Stanton has not been good. Easy to be good and efficient against Jackson State. These last two, he's just been off. Timing, touch. Not good. And then you have receivers dropping too many of the few catchable balls - bad recipe.

Hard to remember a game in the last 30 years with so many dropped passes, plus so many wide open receivers for the opposition.

Reactions: Bullmastiff 1
We still are a work in progress. Depth still an issue but hopefully getting some other players time will pay dividends down the road. The defense is a ways off , they show flashes but cant sustain any consistency. Kicking kicking kicking...it needs to improve but this was a team lose from drops, to bad tackling, to bad penalties, to some bad play calling. These are things I see that can improve and is not hopeless. the secondary needs a miracle atm. I think the first half they ere sloopy but got it done, second half the got outplayed and out coached.

I still like the direction this program is headed.
This was a tough spot for the Rebels. Big game against Ucla, then having to travel to the east coast time zone to play a very good team with a very good experienced quarterback and losing Kenny Keys was big. That's a lot to ask.
What concerns me was the drops by the receivers, the penalties and Johnny Stantons inability to hit open receivers in stride.
On to Idaho...Go Rebs!!!

Some thoughts after having a few hours to let things sink in:

- CMU is a good team. Having a 4-year starting quarterback is a HUGE advantage at this level. I think CMU is a 10-win team this year. They won 7 games last season and brought 8 starters back on each side of the ball.

- We aren't deep enough (yet) to make up for injuries to key players. What was one of the biggest complaints from today? Drops from our wideouts. As much as Coach Sanchez preaches "next man up" things might have looked a lot better out there if we had Keys and Presley playing today. Aside from the wideouts, I thought we really missed Kenny Keys out there on D in the first half. (By the way... that rule'D gotta change; the ejection and 1/2 game suspension have got to go unless there is egregious/repeated conduct)

- I'm really disappointed in our offensive play calling, especially in the second half. Whether it was rushing or passing, we did WAY too much side to side stuff. Despite the drops and bad throws, it seemed like we got scared and went side to side instead of playing downhill.

- Stanton's play today was troubling. The guy has a cannon, and has showed flashes of good decision-making and accuracy. But today, it looked like he was overthinking everything. Didn't show a lot of mental toughness. And as others have said, he needs to learn to take some mustard off his throws when it's not needed.
Additionally, I noticed today that once Stanton drops back, he STAYS dropped back. He needs to have a lot better pocket presence, and more often than not, needs to step up into the pocket his line creates. He had pressure a lot of times from DEs that our tackles had driven wide, but if JS doesn't step up, there will always be pressure from DEs that are faster than the tackles. Step up!

- The pass rush issue is still THE issue for our defense. The thing that's really frustrating is that even when we blitz, we aren't creating pressure.

- We'll be alright. I think everyone expected a 2-2 non conference record. CMU is better than we anticipated. The true tests of this team will come against FSU, CSU, Hawaii, WYO, SJSU, and Reno.

I still like the direction this program is headed.
This was a tough spot for the Rebels. Big game against Ucla, then having to travel to the east coast time zone to play a very good team with a very good experienced quarterback and losing Kenny Keys was big. That's a lot to ask.
What concerns me was the drops by the receivers, the penalties and Johnny Stantons inability to hit open receivers in stride.
On to Idaho...Go Rebs!!!

This...

Some thoughts after having a few hours to let things sink in:

- CMU is a good team. Having a 4-year starting quarterback is a HUGE advantage at this level. I think CMU is a 10-win team this year. They won 7 games last season and brought 8 starters back on each side of the ball.

- We aren't deep enough (yet) to make up for injuries to key players. What was one of the biggest complaints from today? Drops from our wideouts. As much as Coach Sanchez preaches "next man up" things might have looked a lot better out there if we had Keys and Presley playing today. Aside from the wideouts, I thought we really missed Kenny Keys out there on D in the first half. (By the way... that rule'D gotta change; the ejection and 1/2 game suspension have got to go unless there is egregious/repeated conduct)

- I'm really disappointed in our offensive play calling, especially in the second half. Whether it was rushing or passing, we did WAY too much side to side stuff. Despite the drops and bad throws, it seemed like we got scared and went side to side instead of playing downhill.

- Stanton's play today was troubling. The guy has a cannon, and has showed flashes of good decision-making and accuracy. But today, it looked like he was overthinking everything. Didn't show a lot of mental toughness. And as others have said, he needs to learn to take some mustard off his throws when it's not needed.
Additionally, I noticed today that once Stanton drops back, he STAYS dropped back. He needs to have a lot better pocket presence, and more often than not, needs to step up into the pocket his line creates. He had pressure a lot of times from DEs that our tackles had driven wide, but if JS doesn't step up, there will always be pressure from DEs that are faster than the tackles. Step up!

- The pass rush issue is still THE issue for our defense. The thing that's really frustrating is that even when we blitz, we aren't creating pressure.

- We'll be alright. I think everyone expected a 2-2 non conference record. CMU is better than we anticipated. The true tests of this team will come against FSU, CSU, Hawaii, WYO, SJSU, and Reno.

What he said...

Hard to remember a game in the last 30 years with so many dropped passes, plus so many wide open receivers for the opposition.

Stanton struggled some with accuracy, but I agree way to many drops.

We didn't do enough on 1st down. To many 2nd and 10, 2nd and long situations. Add in the penalties and drops, we were playing behind the chains all day.

Last edited:
Reactions: Rancher33
Agree a lot from posts above. We laid an egg big time. It does happen to most teams, now the need to beat Idaho is most important a 2-2 record out of conference is something you can build on.

UCLA was preseason ranked and will be right there for the Pac12 title and CMU has a NFL caliber qb that beat OSU ranked #22 on the road with an awesome run defense. How fast these guys can put it behind them and whip Idaho's butt and regain their confidence will be big going into conference play.

Stanton will get better each game I believe he is a gamer he made some horrible throws film session this week will not be kind to many. Offensive line still young and will get even stronger we had some big runs but when they forced us to throw Stanton and receivers just didn't have it today.

I don't want anybody fired there were plays there it's a matter of execution. Stay together now more than ever!
Go Rebels

I don't think that Stanton's accuracy can be fixed. It won't matter next week that he sucks throwing the football because we're playing a team who is a quasi-FCS team since they're moving to that level in 2018.

Rebs will be alright. It was a bad dominoes effect type of game. The offense was bland as hell. I dont feel too bad about how the game was called earlier. I watched the refs reversed THREE touchdowns play for Ol' Miss in favor of Bama...in the same drive, too. They didnt quit like we did.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT