ADVERTISEMENT

What if?

j. spilotro

Publisher
Staff
May 29, 2001
Las Vegas
unlv.rivals.com
Let’s say Pizano misses a kick vs Vandy and misses the kick vs CSU. That’s just two plays.

Now UNLV is 6-4, bowl eligible after beating Wyoming.

I’m sure everyone’s excitement level would be far lower.

But would you be less impressed with the job Odom has done?

I wouldn’t be. Because you see the actual changes and growth … you still can see the vision, feel the stability. At this point of the program’s history, I feel like establishing such things is every bit as important as bowls …

I would not be less impressed. I've had that discussion with a few and THE difference between this team and teams in the past is that, with the exception of the Michigan game, this team is competing. It's fun to know that this team is not out of a game with 22 seconds on the clock needing to go 45-50 yards to get a FG attempt. Yes, it would have been frustrating had things gone differently but they have a chance.

Can't tell you how many times I would leave games just frustrated and disgusted with the fact that the team was not competitive. Having a CHANCE to win a game was so beyond many of the teams. The lack of discipline with dumb penalties (and this team has been fortunate to overcome myriad false starts) was almost too much to take.
I kept going because I love college football. It just hurt so much for them not to compete.

As I said last March about the Lady Rebels, THESE are the good ole days. Enjoy them.

I would not be less impressed. I've had that discussion with a few and THE difference between this team and teams in the past is that, with the exception of the Michigan game, this team is competing. It's fun to know that this team is not out of a game with 22 seconds on the clock needing to go 45-50 yards to get a FG attempt. Yes, it would have been frustrating had things gone differently but they have a chance.

Can't tell you how many times I would leave games just frustrated and disgusted with the fact that the team was not competitive. Having a CHANCE to win a game was so beyond many of the teams. The lack of discipline with dumb penalties (and this team has been fortunate to overcome myriad false starts) was almost too much to take.
I kept going because I love college football. It just hurt so much for them not to compete.

As I said last March about the Lady Rebels, THESE are the good ole days. Enjoy them.
You mean, on the receiving end of 52-14 defeats, and looking completely inept. The same type that we’ve been delivering, instead …

Reactions: LVRebel2000

Hmmm? I like your post until you throw the Lady Rebels PA advertisement. Our main sports are doing well except our flagship program. Men's BB. On Monday, Nov 20 they are taking on Florida State in Daytona Beach, FL. We will see how they do? Tues is either a championship game or consolation game.

I like to play the what if game a lot this is one I was pondering yesterday.

What if The Bills didnt have 12 men on the field (defensive mistake) on Monday night at the end of the game, would (offensive coordinator) Ken Dorsey still be employed?

I was being optimistic in thinking that we may get to 7,8 wins total for the entirety of the season. If we were 6-4 at this point, I'd have some hope that we can beat AFA but be concerned about SJSU (I didn't reverse these two. AFA is faltering and SJSU has a fighter's chance).

I'd have been really happy with a 7-win season since those are rare around these parts.

Let’s say Pizano misses a kick vs Vandy and misses the kick vs CSU. That’s just two plays.

I wouldn’t be. Because you see the actual changes and growth … you still can see the vision, feel the stability. At this point of the program’s history, I feel like establishing such things is every bit as important as bowls …
I've thought of this as well.

I do agree that the way things have gone if feel really good about this staff. We have had lapses, but it never feels like we are ever out of it, or if this staff cannot adjust to what is happening on the field.

It's nice winning more close games than losing them.

Kind of a the same feeling with FSU. We had chances but couldn't convert. But we still felt like the better team that game.

Conversely, I feel that we stole one against Vandy. They felt like the better team that night, we just made plays and got the dub. But looking back, we are sooo much better now than we were then.

That is the other reason why I am impressed and still would be impressed if we were 6-4. The progress nearly every week.

That being said, I cannot lie I am pretty amped to be 8-2. I would be less elated at 6-4, but still happy about this program and it's direction.

I remember when I was saying 6-6 is the bar and a few here were saying 4-5 wins would be acceptable! I am glad he achieved better and competing with Fresneck and beating Wyo showed us all something else is possible with this guy Odom at the helm!

Reactions: bcvegaspt
It's like what if, the marvelous one actually played a non conference instead of puffs and creams.

If we go to the MW championship, I would love to go up against Fresno in our home turf. I can almost guarantee, it will be a blood bath.

At the end of the day… kickers make the season! 😂🤣
oh, wait, … they do matter!?
ok, I’m making some waves again. Sorry about the last rant I made a couple days ago,…bad day for me…and could not recognize what I was saying either.
My point here is - special teams DO make a significant impact.
Please retain the staff!

I think most would be happy honestly.

Also outside of Michigan it would mean UNLV lost a couple one score games. Unlike Sachez and Arroyo who lost some one score games but also had a number of conference blowout losses as well..

I'd still feel like the team was better prepared and the product on the field was better coached.

Excitement for this year might not be as high, but I'd be pretty happy with what I saw heading into next season..

At the end of the day… kickers make the season! 😂🤣
oh, wait, … they do matter!?
ok, I’m making some waves again. Sorry about the last rant I made a couple days ago,…bad day for me…and could not recognize what I was saying either.
My point here is - special teams DO make a significant impact.
Please retain the staff!

Grab a ticket for a plane headed to China and spout your commie nonsense over there pal!

Reactions: RedCannon
I think most would be happy honestly.

Also outside of Michigan it would mean UNLV lost a couple one score games. Unlike Sachez and Arroyo who lost some one score games but also had a number of conference blowout losses as well..

I'd still feel like the team was better prepared and the product on the field was better coached.

Excitement for this year might not be as high, but I'd be pretty happy with what I saw heading into next season..
And that’s something we NEVER have with UNLV. Excitement and expectation heading into next season. I can’t say never, because we sure as had it after we won the Las Vegas Bowl vs Arkansas, and we were opening with a game at Arkansas the following season … we crapped the bed that year and it started with a fluke/choke loss at Arkansas, because like you say Bull, kickers suck.

A lot of basketball has taken a hit with excitement heading into next season because the portal … following top kids in AAU, anticipating a signing … that type of stuff helps keep things going … it’s not there anymore, not like it was.

But with football, play as we have, finish how we hope, with some young key guys returning, with the recruiting class … yeah, it’ll be highly anticipatory.

Better yet start some nonprofit organization Kickers Are People Too that supplies kickers with much needed medical supplies like corn removers, for when their playing days are over.

It's tragic the toll their bodies take!
Seriously, no mas!!! You’re putting some sort of voodoo on our special teams - dam you Bull!!! We were having a good season… until this guy showed up. 🤦‍♂️
😂

Seriously, no mas!!! You’re putting some sort of voodoo on our special teams - dam you Bull!!! We were having a good season… until this guy showed up. 🤦‍♂️
😂

I've been saying it for years.

Look at it like I'm providing motivation!

The last thing you want for me to do is acknowledge kickers and their importance. Which they aren't because me saying they were important would be a jinx. So I won't.

Reactions: RedCannon
And that’s something we NEVER have with UNLV. Excitement and expectation heading into next season. I can’t say never, because we sure as had it after we won the Las Vegas Bowl vs Arkansas, and we were opening with a game at Arkansas the following season … we crapped the bed that year and it started with a fluke/choke loss at Arkansas, because like you say Bull, kickers suck.

A lot of basketball has taken a hit with excitement heading into next season because the portal … following top kids in AAU, anticipating a signing … that type of stuff helps keep things going … it’s not there anymore, not like it was.

But with football, play as we have, finish how we hope, with some young key guys returning, with the recruiting class … yeah, it’ll be highly anticipatory.
I'm thinking we get 40 - 50% more season tickets.

Last edited:
At 6-4 I’d be happy but nowhere near as excited as I am now. I thought we’d go 6-6 this year and I had us at 6-4 right now.

I know it’s “just 2 plays” but how often over the years have we seen UNLV in a close game with a chance to win and we blow it. I feel like we’re almost always on the wrong side of those type of games . Winning those 2 that we could have easily lost felt like a big deal. Of course we did then lose to Fresno in a very UNLV type of way but it didn’t effect this team and they bounced back even stronger.

At 6-4 I’d be happy but nowhere near as excited as I am now. I thought we’d go 6-6 this year and I had us at 6-4 right now.

I know it’s “just 2 plays” but how often over the years have we seen UNLV in a close game with a chance to win and we blow it. I feel like we’re almost always on the wrong side of those type of games . Winning those 2 that we could have easily lost felt like a big deal. Of course we did then lose to Fresno in a very UNLV type of way but it didn’t effect this team and they bounced back even stronger.
Oh, you can do it every year. Just a couple plays makes a difference in games. And record.

What I’m saying is shed our nice record, look at the team, judge their overall quality by what you see on the actual field, not the final score.

What do you see? Yeah, I like it. Innovation, unity, discipline, fundamentals, poise, direction, execution, a plan, attention to detail … all those things have anywhere from a small dent to a huge dent in them previously. Maybe tiny dents here and there this year, maybe …

So while we bask in the fun of wins and bowls, in dominating when we should, in competing hard each game … this appears to be much different, not a fluke, but just a beginning.

I'm encouraged by that. And also the fact the effort and results have been really consistent.

There's been a bad quarter here and there. Back to back bad series on offense or defense. But we haven't had a complete game stinkfest like Sanchez against Wyoming on the road or Arroyo vs Air Force last year.

I think I’d be just as excited for the program even at 6-4 with two losses by missed field goals. I liken it to how I view the Fresno game — we were the better team that day but for one unicorn of a quarter. I don’t see that loss as a negative mark on the team as much as motivation for the team. I’d see two missed field goal losses the same way. Only difference is I’d want a new kicker. 😁

Is the Odom hiring going to break the MW?

Watching our team go from worst to first (OK we may not officially been the worst last year, but you know what I mean), will that raise expectations for new coaches across the league?

Watching our team go from worst to first (OK we may not officially been the worst last year, but you know what I mean), will that raise expectations for new coaches across the league?
That is a really good thing for the conference

Reactions: reagan21

Talking heads here in SD emphasizing how important the head coach hire will be for SDSU. Hoke part 2 was a lazy hire.

Not that Jimbo Fisher would ever go to SDSU, but interesting that his buyout will be paid to him in full regardless if he takes another job. Most buyout language says if we owe you $1 million and you take another job paying $500k we only owe you the difference. His buyout doesn’t include that.

Talking heads here in SD emphasizing how important the head coach hire will be for SDSU. Hoke part 2 was a lazy hire.

Not that Jimbo Fisher would ever go to SDSU, but interesting that his buyout will be paid to him in full regardless if he takes another job. Most buyout language says if we owe you $1 million and you take another job paying $500k we only owe you the difference. His buyout doesn’t include that.
Strike gold with a second Fisher.

Being a soccer fan first and foremost, I am focused more on performances than results. Teams in any sport can have days where they are better but still lose (unlucky). That being said, even if we lost the Vandy and CSU games, it can arguably be stated that we have outperformed every opponent sans Michigan. We were definitely unlucky against Fresno. With optimal luck it could be argued that we are 9-1 right now.

What we need to ditch are these calamitous quarters: 1st quarter against Vandy, 2nd quarter against CSU, 3rd quarter against Fresno, and 2nd quarter against Wyoming. This has happened four times now against our best non-Michigan competition. They are bizarre because in every game we outplay the other team for 3 quarters but have these stretches of about 3 possessions on both side of the ball that go horribly wrong. Not sure if it's coaching yips, lapses in concentration, or simply trying to shake old habits and ways. We're almost like the recovered alcoholic that starts trembling, having physical symptoms, and fighting the urge to go back for a drink (losing ways). Luckily we've pulled out of it each time, but in each of those quarters we lose by double digits (17, 10, 21, 14).

He's not going to San Diego St...
He's going to Arkansas or Mississippi St where he will be able to stick it to A&M every year while getting paid by both.
Also SDSU is no longer the shiny gem it was even last year and it has nothing to do with this year's performance. They failed to get into the P5 league, and now they don't have that shiny attractive gem. The fan support has eroded, attendance sucks, they didnt capitalize on new stadium momentum, etc. They'll be forced to try something out of the box like a hot coordinator or a lower tier retread. Yes good to bad happens just like that...

He's going to Arkansas or Mississippi St where he will be able to stick it to A&M every year while getting paid by both.
Also SDSU is no longer the shiny gem it was even last year and it has nothing to do with this year's performance. They failed to get into the P5 league, and now they don't have that shiny attractive gem. The fan support has eroded, attendance sucks, they didnt capitalize on new stadium momentum, etc. They'll be forced to try something out of the box like a hot coordinator or a lower tier retread. Yes good to bad happens just like that...
SDSU basketball was minutes away from a national championship win this year. Last year SDSU football team was bad and this year is worst but before that, they have been winning. Dont look down on SDSU man, their program is a pillar for the MWC from the beginning. We can talk shit for giggles but SDSU program is solid.

Never suggested Fisher was going to SDSU in fact said as much, just pointing out his contract and that he can go wherever he wants and still get paid the full severance which could allow him to end up somewhere that previously couldn’t afford him or give a school a discount to have a larger pool of money for the staff.

SDSU basketball was minutes away from a national championship win this year. Last year SDSU football team was bad and this year is worst but before that, they have been winning. Dont look down on SDSU man, their program is a pillar for the MWC from the beginning. We can talk shit for giggles but SDSU program is solid.
They’ve been to 12 Bowl games since 2010. Hoke is out as he should be. As I wrote above the media is saying this is a big hire So I assume the AD knows this as well. They will have very good options. As you point out to say they are done after one bad season is extremely premature.

Attendance sucks at SDSU? They have still averaged 25,304 per game compared to about 23K for UNLV. If there fan support has eroded, and attendance sucks, what does that say about UNLV?

Attendance sucks at SDSU? They have still averaged 25,304 per game compared to about 23K for UNLV. If there fan support has eroded, and attendance sucks, what does that say about UNLV?
Our attendance sucks too. We are contending for a conference title and we can't get 30,000 in a gorgeous stadium.

Not sure why hiring a hot coordinator is out of the box. Lots of schools hire coordinators..

I mean Dan Lanning seems to be ok in Oregon.

UNLV tried it with Sanford coming from Meyers Utah staff. Then again with Arroyo.

Odom or a guy like Odom was needed here. If he has another couple good seasons and leaves the program in good shape they may have to go that route again. Just depends on who's available.

Also would Odom have been considered a lower tier retread?

There wasn't exactly a lot of excitement on these boards when he was hired.

SDSU simply fell on hard times at the QB spot and it finally caught up to them.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT