ADVERTISEMENT

2023 Bowl game opportunities!

220reb

Rebel Legend
May 29, 2001
As we enter week 6 it's time to start thinking about Bowl opportunities. We all believe that we will be playing in a bowl game but which one?. I can’t remember them all but one of my best Sam Boyd memories is that Beat Down we put on Houston Nut's Arkansas team. Here is the full rundown of MWC bowl games for 2023 per MWCwire.

The college football season is just around the corner and now is a great time to predict the bowl matchups for the Mountain West teams.

The best option is making the College Football Playoff or making it as the Group of Five representative for a New Year’s Six bid which goes to the highest ranked champion from these five conferences.

The Mountain West has five guaranteed bowl tie-ins, an alternate bowl game, and this year there are four at-large bowl games that are against a Group of Five team.

Basically, if a team from this league gets to bowl eligibility they will go to a bowl game.

Famous Idaho Potato Bowl vs MAC
Jimmy Kimmel LA Bowl vs Pac-12
New Mexico Bowl vs Conference USA
Barstool Arizona Bowl vs MAC
EasyPost Hawai’i Bowl vs American Athletic

Mountain West has an affiliation to fill if needed …
Guaranteed Rate Bowl vs Big Ten or Big 12

To be determined among the Group of Five conferences … as other options
Duluth Trading Co. Cure Bowl vs Group of Five
Frisco Bowl vs Group of Five
RoofClaim.com Boca Raton Bowl vs Group of Five
SERVPRO First Responder Bowl vs Group of Five

As we enter week 6 it's time to start thinking about Bowl opportunities. We all believe that we will be playing in a bowl game but which one?. I can’t remember them all but one of my best Sam Boyd memories is that Beat Down we put on Houston Nut's Arkansas team. Here is the full rundown of MWC bowl games for 2023 per MWCwire.

The college football season is just around the corner and now is a great time to predict the bowl matchups for the Mountain West teams.

The best option is making the College Football Playoff or making it as the Group of Five representative for a New Year’s Six bid which goes to the highest ranked champion from these five conferences.

The Mountain West has five guaranteed bowl tie-ins, an alternate bowl game, and this year there are four at-large bowl games that are against a Group of Five team.

Basically, if a team from this league gets to bowl eligibility they will go to a bowl game.

I hate looking that far forward...

But I think there's a good chance that...

Nope

Not gonna say it..

Remember this time last year when we had 4 wins. I am more optimistic this year also.
But last year you saw a tremendous gap between winnables vs unwinnables. It was kind of like hoops season. You knew that front end was going to be a gaudy record. The back end, you knew you were going to slide, it was just to what degree.

I think that backend this season is a little different. There will be slide, but the potential degree should be much less…

UNLV vs Central Michigan in the Arizona Bowl
Almost every day another entity puts us in another bowl. I saw earlier today us being projected in the Boca Raton Bowl. Couple of days ago I saw us in the Hawaiian Bowl (which would be a great reward for the team).

Reactions: 220reb
What do you think our chances are against Fresno and the Air Force?

I don't like either matchup really. Fresno is humming right now. Air Force is always a tough match up. Even when they are in a down year that style offense is tough unless you are just so physically dominant. Even then. It's not unstoppable obviously and you can slow it down. But when talent levels are close guys on the field have to first win mentally by being right on their reads and then winning physically. And that's at all three levels. Even D line guys have to read right vs just pinning ears back and going after the QB (like Hawaii).

If you can limit them on 1st down you have a shot. If they are churning out 4-5 yards in 1st down its going to be a long day.

As for Fresno I think they are the class of the conference now. Thought there would be drop off when they lost Haener.

Nope.

Reactions: ckfitz and dcut03
I don't like either matchup really. Fresno is humming right now. Air Force is always a tough match up. Even when they are in a down year that style offense is tough unless you are just so physically dominant. Even then. It's not unstoppable obviously and you can slow it down. But when talent levels are close guys on the field have to first win mentally by being right on their reads and then winning physically. And that's at all three levels. Even D line guys have to read right vs just pinning ears back and going after the QB (like Hawaii).

If you can limit them on 1st down you have a shot. If they are churning out 4-5 yards in 1st down its going to be a long day.

As for Fresno I think they are the class of the conference now. Thought there would be drop off when they lost Haener.

Nope.
A lot of people have Fresno in the Group 6 bowl.

Only if they stay undefeated. I am very interested in seeing them play WYOMING.
If both squads play to their ability, I think Fresno is far and away the better team. But we are seeing Fresno not executing at peak. That game is this Saturday on big Fox at 5pm pacific. Huge spot for MWC!

Reactions: LVRebel2000

Not big enough, lol...

I kid, but honestly Id be happy with a short 8 hr drive to Boise for the Potato bowl, but Id love to see us stretch and get a big bowl game vs Big 10 or Big 12...

A lot of people have Fresno in the Group 6 bowl.

With good reason. They look pretty damn good. Could run the table and have two P5 wins. Granted both were vs struggling teams (Purdue and ASU). Both on the road. Purdue game was close. They crushed ASU.

They may need AF to be ranked when they face off to help them.

With good reason. They look pretty damn good. Could run the table and have two P5 wins. Granted both were vs struggling teams (Purdue and ASU). Both on the road. Purdue game was close. They crushed ASU.

They may need AF to be ranked when they face off to help them.
One thing going for Fresno State, or any MWC team in the top few (AFA, WYO in particular) is that James Madison has 3 poll points and Tulane has 8. AFA has 7 and Wyoming has none in the AP. In coaches poll, AFA and WYO are both ahead of Tulane and JMU.

Tulane plays Memphis next week which will probably be their best opponent the rest of the way.

JMU will have a few chances at possible decent wins. But shouldn't be enough to leapfrog Fresno if they stay undefeated or AFA/WYO if one should surpass Fresno.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT