ADVERTISEMENT

PAC 12. Are we next in line ?

To me, it's $$. Specifically TV $$. My research shows we get @ $ 4 mil a year for our current TV contract. The PAC is looking for $ 40 mil a year per school for a new contract ( negotiations are stuck until the PAC identifies their 2 new additions) But, even if it's $ 20 mil we'd be rolling in dough comparatively. That means we should be able to get nearly any coach we want when it comes time - or keep a coach who is doing well. It also should mean way better recruits meaning more bowls and more NCAA's.

This guy says SMU doesn't make sense, UNLV is a better choice for the pac 12 and Big 12 should snatch us as soon as they can!

Both conferences are determined to stay alive but what would be best for both or at least best for the top programs of both would be to form a new conference, otherwise both will be very diluted once the dust settles. What’s that saying, one strong conference is better than 2 weak conferences.

Reactions: RebelScrub
Both conferences are determined to stay alive but what would be best for both or at least best for the top programs of both would be to form a new conference, otherwise both will be very diluted once the dust settles. What’s that saying, one strong conference is better than 2 weak conferences.
While this is true… it would once again suck for UNLV! We would not even be considered if the Big 12 and Pac 12 combined the left overs, we would once again be left on the outside looking in.

The word from the Oregon Ducks writer. At least our name is mentioned…sounds like if the PAC went to 14 we could be in.

“Does the Pac-12 look small-time (or opportunistic?) if it grabs SMU, San Diego State, UNLV and one other school?

My predictions, based on sourced conversations:
The Pac-12 will soon cut a media deal. It will likely expand by two members. Oregon and Washington aren't going anywhere. Neither are the “four corners” schools. Then, we’ll all move on to talking about the next college football season.”

We are ranked #285 in academics. I guess this is the other reason why we are not 1st in line for a Pac 12 invite.

That’s funny since Unlv is a Carnegie R1 institute. Smu, fsu, and sdsu are not. I believe they are R2
146 (of public schools) per USNWR https://www.usnews.com/best-college...vada,+Las+Vegas&_sort=rank&_sortDirection=asc

I understand that being a Tier 1 research institute is substantial, but definitely when I was a student (2010s), it was definitely not exactly an academic school. Not sure how the change to be taken more seriously academically would come. Raising admission requirements? More tenured instructors? I really have no idea how a school raises its profile in that way.

Tony Altimore also said Boise was a more attractive candidate than UNLV based on their Fiesta Bowl win over Oklahoma in 2007!

I'd be very careful believing everything he says.

Most these guys have opinions and that's what they write, you click and read.
To me SMU makes no sense to PAC, I try Houston before them, that said, if the PAC brings in 4, UNLV will be 1 of the 4, UNLV academically is way better then 10 years ago, athletic department way worse.

Most these guys have opinions and that's what they write, you click and read.
To me SMU makes no sense to PAC, I try Houston before them, that said, if the PAC brings in 4, UNLV will be 1 of the 4, UNLV academically is way better then 10 years ago, athletic department way worse.
I wouldn't say the athletic dep't is way worse than 10 years ago. Basketball is in a rough spot, but I think football is in a better spot than ever. In other sports, womens hoops is great. Baseball is preseason pick to finish 1st in the MWC. Softball, tennis, golf, etc, are all pretty solid.

No question UNLV is better in football. It has been two seasons since we only won two games, and it has been three seasons since we lost every game in the season. We are on our way to a national championship!

All kidding aside, I expect UNLV will have a winning season for the 2023 season!

Reactions: LVRebel2000
Houston is already in the big 12. they aren't going anywhere
Smu is the best overall school in a top market. It is absolutely the best market available. Even with their relatively poor market share.
We say that a P5 invite will raise interest and improve market share, which I believe is true. They could say the same thing. Though it's different with a private school in a state with so many prominent state schools already in top conferences. So I would bet we would get a much more substantial bump.

146 (of public schools) per USNWR https://www.usnews.com/best-colleges/rankings/national-universities/top-public?schoolName=University+of+Nevada,+Las+Vegas&_sort=rank&_sortDirection=asc

I understand that being a Tier 1 research institute is substantial, but definitely when I was a student (2010s), it was definitely not exactly an academic school. Not sure how the change to be taken more seriously academically would come. Raising admission requirements? More tenured instructors? I really have no idea how a school raises its profile in that way.
Yeah, I understand. I was there late 2000’s early 2010 and it didn’t scream “Harvard of the west”.

But since then we’ve seen upgrades in via the medical school, and improved rankings across our grad school levels. It helps that we’re the flag ship University of the state.

What we need UNLV to do is to focus on improving the ungrad schools. I claim that if U Washington can do it, so can we. They have a much larger student base that also has a significant amount of commuters.

I don’t believe we wouldn’t have the problems we have now if we weren’t subject to obeying and/or funding the school in reno.

Yes, I went to UW for a time after UNLV, and USC after that. They are both fantastic schools. UNLV can get there too.

Most of these rankings, fair or not, is nearly soley based off of research production of said university. Especially US News and World report.

It's kind of like how Houston was named the country's fattest city so many years in a row. When it was a simple equation of restaurants/gyms.

It may be accurate but there is at least some debate to it's validity

Why is everyone so intent on joining the Pac 12 ?- first off - its an outside chance - Why is everyone so intent on being a bottom dweller in a better conference ?

The problem isn't our conference affiliation - its the admin - and the problem will keep us out of the Pac 12 too.

In a state run University System - The politics go all the way to the top - Sissy ass Liberal NEVADA could gives two shits about Winning and Athletics - for UNLV to be successful a lot of really influential wealthy people with political ties in Nevada would have to want that to happen. It would take a movement of unprecedented unity to revive UNLV. It could've happened maybe 10-20 years when people who loved UNLV were still relevant -its ancient history now sadly. We are that program that was good one time ...a long long time ago.

Reactions: j. spilotro
I just don't see the regents fully blocking the move.

They are going to turn down perhaps 36 mil dollars guaranteed a year. A 4x increase in media revenue to the state school system because they are butt hurt that no one wants UNR?

Money trumps all political agendas and is often the driving force.

No one will stop it if we get the invite.

They may whine about it publically, but being closed doors they will be doing backflips.

Last edited:
Reactions: 220reb
I just don't see The regents fully blocking the move.

They are going to turn don perhaps 36 mil dollars. a 4zx increase in media revenue to the state school system because they are but hurt that no one want UNR?

On the face of it, any thinking person has to agree with you.

But at the same time, you can never overestimate the stupidity of a politician.

That makes it a close call in the end.

I just don't see The regents fully blocking the move.

They are going to turn don perhaps 36 mil dollars. a 4zx increase in media revenue to the state school system because they are but hurt that no one want UNR?

Last edited:
After watching TCU, UTAH, and BYU go from the Mountain West to power 5 conferences. I have always believed that if we ever got serious about football (New facilities + New Stadium) this would no longer be an issue. We now have everything we need to be included in a better conference. I know that it's not the same conference with USC/UCLA leaving for the Big TEN but 'I don't care'. I want to see Allegiant Full every time the Rebels play. PAC 12 schools travel very well and everyone loves to come to Las Vegas for the weekend. Las Vegas will add other sports options such as the NBA, MLB and F1 Racing. We can't miss this opportunity to improve the quality of our football and Basketball opponents. IT'S NOW or Never.

On the face of it, any thinking person has to agree with you.

But at the same time, you can never overestimate the stupidity of a politician.

That makes it a close call in the end.
THIS.

Short-sighted political agendas trump everything in politicians' minds. "What good will come out of this for me?" is their only question. Politicians do not care about benefiting 'the system," nor do they care that we helped UNR get into the MWC years ago. "If I approve UNLV to the P5, what will you do to make me look good and help my career?"

THIS.

Short-sighted political agendas trump everything in politicians' minds. "What good will come out of this for me?" is their only question. Politicians do not care about benefiting 'the system," nor do they care that we helped UNR get into the MWC years ago. "If I approve UNLV to the P5, what will you do to make me look good and help my career?"
How does, saying no thanks to 36 mil a year to a struggling financial school state system benefit's anyone's career?

Northern pundits will show face that they "fought" for UNR, but be turning into Red light district sycophants to any power 5 brass behind closed doors.

Said politicians will change their tune in a heartbeat should a nice donation to their campaign fund occur from this move.

Reactions: bcvegaspt
After watching TCU, UTAH, and BYU go from the Mountain West to power 5 conferences. I have always believed that if we ever got serious about football (New facilities + New Stadium) this would no longer be an issue. We now have everything we need to be included in a better conference. I know that it's not the same conference with USC/UCLA leaving for the Big TEN but 'I don't care'. I want to see Allegiant Full every time the Rebels play. PAC 12 schools travel very well and everyone loves to come to Las Vegas for the weekend. Las Vegas will add other sports options such as the NBA, MLB and F1 Racing. We can't miss this opportunity to improve the quality of our football and Basketball opponents. IT'S NOW or Never.
I am not really all that sure that losing USC/UCLA is all the big of an overall loss when it comes to football. When it comes to winning seasons over the last 20 years UCLA has had 9 winning seasons, 10 losing seasons, and one even season. USC has been much better over the same 20 year period, but that is only one school. I would consider SDSU a better than even trade for UCLA and then it comes down to finding the right teams to help offset USC which is the only real loss to the conference. The real loss for the PAC will be if they sit on their ass and do nothing to expand or even worse lose more teams like Oregon or Washington.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT