ADVERTISEMENT

PAC 12. Are we next in line ?

Lol ya a bit misleading.

Sounds like they’re not adding anyone after reading it.

If they add San Diego st then they won’t care about unlv academics in the future.

It will just come down if can win or not.

My issue is with Colorado State. I understand they rank above us in academics. We both have New football stadiums and on campus facilities.

From what I'm been reading it looks like Pac 12 thinks that they might lose at least 2 of the "four corner schools", Arizona and Colorado to the Big 12. They would replace that lost with additions of SDSU and CSU/SMU, this all about market size, this Academic stuff is BS! That's why I think they are saying it could be 0 to 4 additions cause they won't no until they find out how many want to leave for the Big 12 (could be zero). If they lose 2, they add 2, if 4 leave they will add 4! SDSU is a top 20 market, CSU is in a top 15 market, so those plug the hole of losing markets of Arizona and Colorado (both top 15 markets!)

Who is Consulting the PAC-12 on Expansion? Greg errrr....... Always Re-Active instead of Pro-Active Craig " 🤡 " Thompson! SMFH

Last edited:
Reactions: bcvegaspt
I wish Sanchez would have worked out, I think he was the guy you should have held onto, he beat UNR 3 out of 4 if he would have only found the “go go” coordinator Marion himself and changed his DC he might have had us on a better trajectory than we are now and we would be a better option with say the Big 12 by now. Arroyo was a waste of 3 years!

Start with the assumption that every tweet, Blog, and internet sports article is garbage. The only people with an inkling of what will happen are a few media negotiators and upper-crust execs, College Presidents and AD,s and perhaps their wives. And they are NOT going to the press. They won't go to the press because the information is valuable when negotiations are taking place and they won't give it away.

All of this stuff is just filler and conjecture. Any of us could tweet the same crap and be just as close to the truth as these "journalists".

There is nothing to do here but wait till our President, AD and the new MW Commissioner do their best to continue to save the conference in at least as good a shape as it is now.

My hope is that the one report that stated that UNLV was "not being considered" was either BS or a bullish opinion from one of the snooty AD's. The report stated that one source from one of the schools said we weren't a candidate. Well, we can assume that those bay area schools are a bit snooty and probably do not like the idea of UNLV joining the PAC. Maybe it was their opinion trying to use that article to further push that agenda?

I'm probably just grasping at straws, but overall it doesn't seem like SDSU is that much more academically inline than we are. And they are considered a shoe in.

If the PAC get completely cherry picked then they will have to lower some standards.

Academic stuff is BS! UNLV is just as good and you can say maybe better than SDSU, it's all about capturing the biggest tv markets that are left if they lose any of the "4 corner schools". SDSU=top 20, SMU= top 5, CSU= top 15

Reactions: LVRebel2000
The only one that doesn't make sense is Tulane, they are a top 40 market like us so if they were to give them the nod for the 4th spot instead of us then you know it's some of these university presidents that have a anti UNLV mindset!

The only one that doesn't make sense is Tulane, they are a top 40 market like us so if they were to give them the nod for the 4th spot instead of us then you know it's some of these university presidents that have a anti UNLV mindset!
The reason for Tulane has nothing to do with sports. They bring $100,000,000 per year in research money to the conference. That is why they will be in the PAC, UNLV doesn't bring anything like that.

The reason for Tulane has nothing to do with sports. They bring $100,000,000 per year in research money to the conference. That is why they will be in the PAC, UNLV doesn't bring anything like that.
Doesn't that money stay with the school though? Doesnt seem like it would benefit the pac 12 in any way. And it's a terrible fit geographically. Football is one thing but the rest of the sports would be expensive and time consuming for traveling that far for every road trip

Reactions: bcvegaspt
Doesn't that money stay with the school though? Doesnt seem like it would benefit the pac 12 in any way. And it's a terrible fit geographically. Football is one thing but the rest of the sports would be expensive and time consuming for traveling that far for every road trip
I am not 100% sure how it works but from what it was explained to me is that Tulane brings in approximately $400,000,000 in research money and $100,000,000 is in a grant system that somehow benefits other research schools in the conference. But like I said I am not sure how it works the guy explaining it to me used terminology that was over my head.

Tulane is a highly regarded academic school AND it's in New Orleans. Endowment nearly $2b. It's infinitely more qualified from basically every measurable current statistic.

Plus (currently) football is very good and basketball is as good or better than UNLV.

Arroyo was a waste of 3 years!
Absolutely! Had a brand new Fertitta Complex and Allegiant Stadium and did nothing for us. Some how Arroyo managed to put up less wins than a High School coach that was working with Sam Boyd and Lied Athletic center. I believe UNLV would be looked at differently by the PAC-12 right now if we had put together a few winning seasons. Arroyo was a terrible hire and part of the reason we won’t be invited this go around.

CSU= top 15
Denver is still more a Buffs town, but you would get some market penetration with Ft. Collins in the Denver area. Very similar to how SMU gets you in the DFW metroplex, but you don't get nearly as much market penetration there because of A&M, UTA, Houston, and Tech alumni that are the biggest eyes on sets in that region.

Still, CSU brings you some of that Denver market and has better academics than UNLV, so it makes more sense from a PAC-12 perspective.

Edit: But only if you think you're losing UCBoulder

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT