ADVERTISEMENT

PAC 12. Are we next in line ?

I would consider SDSU a better than even trade for UCLA and then it comes down to finding the right teams to help offset USC which is the only real loss to the conference.

Im sure the TV partners dont see it that way. And Ill argue that If UCLA and SDSU played every year the past 10 seasons UCLA would have won probably 7 times at least 6. I know we are only talking about football but through in the rest of the sports and its not even close.

Im sure the TV partners dont see it that way. And Ill argue that If UCLA and SDSU played every year the past 10 seasons UCLA would have won probably 7 times at least 6. I know we are only talking about football but through in the rest of the sports and its not even close.
Unfortunately UCLA doesn't play SDSU with only one game in the last 20 years in 2019 where UCLA lost at home to SDSU 23-14. As for basketball, none of the major conferences really look at basketball in regards to offers to join! The last game where they played UCLA in 2020 they won by 15. The simple fact is that SDSU is miles ahead of UNLV in both basketball and football and currently ranked 21st in the nation and basketball. As for football SDSU won 11 games in 2016, 10 in 2017, 7 in 2018, 10 in 2019, 4 in 2020 (COVD year), 12 in 2021 and 7 in 2022. They won 10 or more games in 4 of the last 7 seasons. The last time UCLA won 10 or more was back in 2014

Unfortunately UCLA doesn't play SDSU with only one game in the last 20 years in 2019 where UCLA lost at home to SDSU 23-14. As for basketball, none of the major conferences really look at basketball in regards to offers to join! The last game where they played UCLA in 2020 they won by 15. The simple fact is that SDSU is miles ahead of UNLV in both basketball and football and currently ranked 21st in the nation and basketball. As for football SDSU won 11 games in 2016, 10 in 2017, 7 in 2018, 10 in 2019, 4 in 2020 (COVD year), 12 in 2021 and 7 in 2022. They won 10 or more games in 4 of the last 7 seasons. The last time UCLA won 10 or more was back in 2014

If I’m not mistaken UCLA plays SDSU this season and I think it’s in SD, I’d have to look it up.

Comparing records isn’t really relevant given the schedules each play are not similar at all.

If I’m not mistaken UCLA plays SDSU this season and I think it’s in SD, I’d have to look it up.

Comparing records isn’t really relevant given the schedules each play are not similar at all.
We will see what happens next season when UCLA goes to SDSU in football.

I have been hearing this for about 3-4 weeks but didn't think much of it until I heard it this morning from a very reliable source so I think it has merit. As already said SMU and SDSU are going to the PAC12 it is basically a done deal just waiting for the announcement. Other part is the PAC is looking to go to 14 teams the three teams being looked at for the final two spots are Rice, Tulane and UNLV. Both Rice and Tulane bring in over $100,000,000 in research funding to the PAC and Vegas has a market the PAC likes.

I have been hearing this for about 3-4 weeks but didn't think much of it until I heard it this morning from a very reliable source so I think it has merit. As already said SMU and SDSU are going to the PAC12 it is basically a done deal just waiting for the announcement. Other part is the PAC is looking to go to 14 teams the three teams being looked at for the final two spots are Rice, Tulane and UNLV. Both Rice and Tulane bring in over $100,000,000 in research funding to the PAC and Vegas has a market the PAC likes.
What does your source about our chances getting pick over one of those school? Is if for for sure they are going to 14 schools instead of 12?

Are travel partners are still a thing? That could be a good sign if they are. SDSU would need a West coast partner and SMU would need a central partner.

What does your source about our chances getting pick over one of those school? Is if for for sure they are going to 14 schools instead of 12?
No it isn't a sure thing they are going to 14 but they are seriously considering it.
Are travel partners are still a thing? That could be a good sign if they are. SDSU would need a West coast partner and SMU would need a central partner.
He didn't say anything regarding travel partners. More so what each school brings to the conference. He said he thinks it will be Tulane and UNLV but said that is only his opinion but said if they go to 14 teams those are the three it will come down to.

No it isn't a sure thing they are going to 14 but they are seriously considering it.

He didn't say anything regarding travel partners. More so what each school brings to the conference. He said he thinks it will be Tulane and UNLV but said that is only his opinion but said if they go to 14 teams those are the three it will come down to.

Reactions: LVRebel2000
I have a feeling that SDSU is in but, I'm betting it will be for a smaller piece of the pie. Still their smaller piece of the pie will be 3x or 4x our slice. The four schools that went to the Big12 got 63% of what the old conference members got. Instead of the $31 million they got $20 million. Pac-12 will probably have to do the same thing with SMU and SDSU. The media contract isn't going to give them what they want so the old Pac12 conference members are not going to want to take equal shares with them. It's going to have to be that way otherwise Pac12 members are going to the Big12. Anyway, good for them. Always glad to see one of us move up.

Sounds like a done deal for SDSU going to the PAC 12!
Hes told them this before, lol... I mean theyve tried to have their foot out the door for years. I just dont see them adding value to the PAC 12 as an institution other than theyre in California.

I have no doubt SDSU will be the first school taken. They are miles in front of everyone else in the Mountain West.

The Pac-12 screwed themselves by sitting on their collective asses and did nothing while the Big-12 jumped on early media rights deals. The Big-12 is the big winner. Now desperation is creeping in at the Pac-12 headquarters. They are looking at cutting a deal with AppleTV+ with an all streaming platform. I pay for enough streaming options right now and I for one won't subscribe to AppleTV+ for the Pac-12. The attached article doesn't think Oregon or Washington will want it either as it takes them off the linear tv programming. They may be the first to jump ship if this goes forward. But, on the other hand it looks like the Pac-12 is running out of options.

Wouldn't be the first sinking ship that SDSU jumps on while torching their current boat only to jump off and back onto the burning boat and pretend that they really didn't want to go in the first place...

That was fun listening to those guys. I liked what they said about the Mountain West getting more television exposure over the Pac-12 if they go all streaming.
Whether we get more TV exposure or not, the real issue is about the money. That's what all of this expansion stuff is about, right? How much money each school can get per year is really the bottom line. Now, if you're getting a similar amount of money, then yes, the TV exposure could make a difference.

Apple TV may bring in money, but it would be a severe downgrade in regards to exposure. If the average person cannot see the games on TV, then recruiting could become difficult. On the other side of the coin, you also need to pay to watch games on ESPN, and that hasn't been an issue for the last 20+ years.

Apple TV may bring in money, but it would be a severe downgrade in regards to exposure. If the average person cannot see the games on TV, then recruiting could become difficult. On the other side of the coin, you also need to pay to watch games on ESPN, and that hasn't been an issue for the last 20+ years.
However, the argument being made currently is in next 5-10 years more and more streaming services like AppleTV+, Amazon, HBO Max, will own the rights to most major sports leagues and streaming will become exclusively the method for watching sports as we move into that era. MLS just went that direction, Im not sure its great for growing game in US, but in 5 years who knows. Amazon spent a ton of Money on NFL rights for the same reason. So while it currently seems like a "bad" media decision to not be on FOX or CBS, or ESPN directly, having everything readily available under an umbrella service like AppleTV+ who is paying you a ton of money might make sense in future... Certainly cant be worse than trying to find "Pac-12 Network exclusive" games outside their media markets or "MWC Network" streaming.

Wont say much other than don't be surprised if the PAC disappears as a conference and a new conference is formed that would include a combination of these teams

Washington St
Cal
Oregon St
SDSU
SMU
UNLV
Tulane
Colorado St
Fresno St
Rice

If it goes past 10 teams

Boise St
UTSA/North Texas or other from this area

Wont say much other than don't be surprised if the PAC disappears as a conference and a new conference is formed that would include a combination of these teams

Washington St
Cal
Oregon St
SDSU
SMU
UNLV
Tulane
Colorado St
Fresno St
Rice

If it goes past 10 teams

Boise St
NTAwLDI0NA.gif

Reactions: jmcnamaraiii

Washington St
Cal
Oregon St
SDSU
SMU
UNLV
Tulane
Colorado St
Fresno St
Rice

If it goes past 10 teams

Boise St

This is what Ive been saying for a long time and although I know nothing about it stongly feel this is what happens once the dust settles. As I wrote here recently it will be the PAC Lite or MWC Plus, whatever you want to call it but it will look alot more like a G6 than P5 conference.

NV’s Board of Regents haven’t been an embarrassment but with the recent elections we now have some new, strong UNLV-focused regents that replaced those wearing blue-blinders (even when representing S. NV). I would expect the strength in numbers of S. NV regents along with strong community engagement in support of such a move to prevail over northern whining. I wouldn’t be surprised if UNLV had to pay some type of “exit fee” in the process.

Crazy stuff I learned today. The Pac-12 last month fired the President of the Pac-12 Network along with the Chief Financial Officer. Apple and Amazon were looking to use the Pac-12 Network for its distribution in some way. When you remove a couple of key personnel there is no doubt things will slow down.

Get this. The reason the two were fired was because they were aware of Comcast overpaying by $5 million a year for the last 9 years but, they never told anyone. The schools are now on the hook to reimburse Comcast. However what Comcast is going to do is withhold $4 million dollars from each school for the 23-24, last year, of the contract. Ouch. Where the schools would be expecting $20 million they would only be getting $16 million. I'm sure the schools plan their budget around that $20 million so that will sting that last year of the current contract. Nowhere have I seen as to why Comcast had been overpaying for the last 9 years.

NV’s Board of Regents haven’t been an embarrassment but with the recent elections we now have some new, strong UNLV-focused regents that replaced those wearing blue-blinders (even when representing S. NV). I would expect the strength in numbers of S. NV regents along with strong community engagement in support of such a move to prevail over northern whining. I wouldn’t be surprised if UNLV had to pay some type of “exit fee” in the process.
Exit fees for the MWC are 7 Million per school.

The only way to make this situation better is to merge with the Big 12. I just don't see any other way. Sometimes you have to take what you can get. I understand that the Pac does not want to merge with anyone. If they sign with Apple it will be the end of the conference.

Dear Lord the Pac12 now has a new media interest. ION Television

By cobbling together pieces of this, that, and the other media companies maybe and I mean maybe they could get to $25 million per team. Doubtful but they are giving their best college try.

Some Pac12 schools need to call the Big12 ASAP.

Dear Lord the Pac12 now has a new media interest. ION Television

By cobbling together pieces of this, that, and the other media companies maybe and I mean maybe they could get to $25 million per team. Doubtful but they are giving their best college try.

Some Pac12 schools need to call the Big12 ASAP.

WTF is this. This gets worse by the second.

Well apparently no pac 12 then.
Tier 1 is apparently not enough

Well that was a disappointing read. I thought with 4 teams UNLV would be in the mix.

• UNLV is not among the expansion candidates, a university source confirmed on Friday. The academic profile of the university apparently does not fit the objectives of the Pac-12 presidents and chancellors.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT