ADVERTISEMENT

Dellenger: MWC talking to FCS Tarleton State

Assuming UTEP happens and this is true, we have our 8. Does it mean we struck out on Texas State? I expect UTSA is out of our grasp. But maybe having a few texas teams softens their stance a bit.

Tarleton State is in Stephenville, about 3 hours north ish of San Marcos. Tarleton plays at Memorial Stadium, capacity 24000, originally opened in 1951. But has been expanded twice in the last 5 years.

From Wikipedia:

During the 2023 season, Tarleton State shattered attendance records by drawing over 20,000 fans on three occasions, setting the current attendance mark with 23,042 in attendance on October 18, 2023, vs. Morehead State.

Not saying it’s not true, but I haven’t been able to find anything on the inter-web to back up his claims. Interestingly though, Tarleton is currently ranked #14 in the FCS rankings with their only loss being a beat down by Baylor. If the MW is open to going the FCS route, then you have to think that at least making a phone call to NDSU, S.Dakota St. or Montana would have happened

Last edited:
Reactions: LVRebel2000
Hes the only one saying this... I find it hard to believe that of all the FCs programs, this is the one we'd be putting the full court press on...

Hes the only one saying this... I find it hard to believe that of all the FCs programs, this is the one we'd be putting the full court press on...
They have gotten over 20k fans to games multiple times in the last 2 years and are ranked in the FCS top 25.

Their basketball team played in the CBI last year. Billy Gillespie is their head coach.

Small, 3000 seat gym though

They have gotten over 20k fans to games multiple times in the last 2 years and are ranked in the FCS top 25.

Their basketball team played in the CBI last year. Billy Gillespie is their head coach.

Small, 3000 seat gym though
Is that really that difficult to do? I mean I looked at the rankings and just about every FCS team wed target is ranked...

Yeah, but there are more readily available FBS programs that we could add without the need to elevate and FCS program. Im all for clearly getting UNLV to the undefeated 4 years in a row category, but that add would just make us look silly...

Yeah, but there are more readily available FBS programs that we could add without the need to elevate and FCS program. Im all for clearly getting UNLV to the undefeated 4 years in a row category, but that add would just make us look silly...
I'm not sure there are additional FBS programs that would want to join. Basically conference USA is all you have access to (unless you consider MAC... not sure I would). Programs west of Tennessee: Texas State, UTEP, Sam Houston State, NMSU, and LA Tech. If NMSU wasn't the unbridled disaster it has been entirely for years, I'd be interested. To me, revisit that in a couple years. SHSU and LA Tech are of interest to me, particularly Sam Houston. I'm indifferent on adding LA Tech.

UTEP is in. If they can get Texas State, im sure the MWC would take em.

As for ehy would you invite Tarleton St over Dakotas... if we are looking for full membership, it's a no brainer to me. Sure, it's not like we are a tight regional conference, but if you can consolidate power of smaller Texas schools, I think you can get a lot of interest in those schools as they grow and compete against one another.

Not saying I'd hate to hate the Dakotas, but if you can grab 4 Texas schools, I think you'd have to

I'm not sure there are additional FBS programs that would want to join. Basically conference USA is all you have access to (unless you consider MAC... not sure I would). Programs west of Tennessee: Texas State, UTEP, Sam Houston State, NMSU, and LA Tech. If NMSU wasn't the unbridled disaster it has been entirely for years, I'd be interested. To me, revisit that in a couple years. SHSU and LA Tech are of interest to me, particularly Sam Houston. I'm indifferent on adding LA Tech.

UTEP is in. If they can get Texas State, im sure the MWC would take em.

As for ehy would you invite Tarleton St over Dakotas... if we are looking for full membership, it's a no brainer to me. Sure, it's not like we are a tight regional conference, but if you can consolidate power of smaller Texas schools, I think you can get a lot of interest in those schools as they grow and compete against one another.

Not saying I'd hate to hate the Dakotas, but if you can grab 4 Texas schools, I think you'd have to
I mistakenly attributed Texas State to CUSA. They are Sun Belt. The same situation applies. SUN BELT had the two U of Louisana schools (Monroe and Laff), and nobody else close to Texas.

Okay this is getting embarrassing. This news coupled with Gonzaga likely going to PAC for bball is a disaster. I would have loved for the Rebs to play Gonzaga twice a year but instead we get vaunted Tarelton St twice a year. At least Menzies….uhhh…..Kruger will be happy. Tarelton St will be the best 2-16 school in the nation when they play us to the wire.

Okay this is getting embarrassing. This news coupled with Gonzaga likely going to PAC for bball is a disaster. I would have loved for the Rebs to play Gonzaga twice a year but instead we get vaunted Tarelton St twice a year. At least Menzies….uhhh…..Kruger will be happy. Tarelton St will be the best 2-16 school in the nation when they play us to the wire.
You think you're excited imagine how thrilled Odom must be to build a nationally ranked program only to play against this. He's probably waiting for us to start inviting schools from Antarctica. Barring a really quick miraculous B12 invite they might as well help him pack his bags.

Not saying it’s not true, but I haven’t been able to find anything on the inter-web to back up his claims. Interestingly though, Tarleton is currently ranked #14 in the FCS rankings with their only loss being a beat down by Baylor. If the MW is open to going the FCS route, then you have to think that at least making a phone call to NDSU, S.Dakota St. or Montana would have happened
They will do nothing to help viewership, thus nothing to increase TV revenue.

I can understand Tarlenton over NMSU a little. I can't wrap my head around Tarlenton over Sam Houston. The reason I bring that up is because something has to be tied to Tarlenton for us to show interest. I'm hoping it has to do with Texas State. I'm hoping it's a successful troll post and the PAC and MWC are in a bidding war for Texas State.

Make It Stop My Brain Hurts GIF by Monty Python

I can understand Tarlenton over NMSU a little. I can't wrap my head around Tarlenton over Sam Houston. The reason I bring that up is because something has to be tied to Tarlenton for us to show interest. I'm hoping it has to do with Texas State. I'm hoping it's a successful troll post and the PAC and MWC are in a bidding war for Texas State.

Make It Stop My Brain Hurts GIF by Monty Python

I hope there isn't a bidding war. I hope they have no interest.

Yeah, gotta think the MWC is putting some fake news out there to keep the PAC guessing, especially with it being another TX school.
I don’t think it’s fake.

Someone said something about baseball and Olympic sports being a need. Tarlenton has a baseball program.

I think they average close to 20k for football attendance, and they just committed 100s of millions in a new facility for basketball. An 8-10k arena/multiuse arena.

Tarleton State University broke ground Tuesday morning on a $110 million, two-story multipurpose arena that will sport NCAA Division I basketball facilities and room for academic convocations, symposiums, conferences and conventions. The Texas A&M System approved the budget and construction in May, with move-in set for 2025. Construction dollars come from Revenue System Financing bonds and are part of Tarleton's capital plan approved by the Board of Regents.

"As a comprehensive national university, we have a moral and social obligation to deliver an outstanding student experience while simultaneously spurring community prosperity and enhancing economic opportunity," said Tarleton State President Dr. James Hurley. "With this new facility, we're doing just that."

Seating nearly 10,000 for concerts and up to 8,000 for basketball games, the center will provide a permanent indoor home for convocations and commencements, and the city of Stephenville will enjoy increased income from community and regional events.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT