ADVERTISEMENT

NEW CONFERENCE YES OR NO

I really think we need to limit FCS or completely avoid them.
First 5 mill up front is a lot. More than exit fees for the other FBS teams.
Second there could be more funding needing to get them up to par on facilities.
Third and most importantly, none of them would help the media deal, at least not initially. Sac state has potential, but it wouldnt show up on our next deal. The better FCS teams are in tiny state populations without good brand recognition.
Fourth they would bring down SOS at least initially. And the basketball would be even more horrid. FCS calls ups all tend to struggle with the transition, and they have recently been joining worse conferences that us, yes even considering what the new MW will be.
I still think UTEP is better than TX St. Though I am coming around more on TX st.
Traditionally Texas St. Has the reputation in terms of their student/almuni is that they wanted to go to Texas, but couldn't get in. San Marcos is close to Austin that their student still go to UT games but go to class in San Marcos.
Now I do think that narrative is changing, but still 100% exists with many of their students. San Marcos has 70k people, El Paso has 670k.
And again UTEP, though with a smaller enrollment has more fans who prioritize UTEP.

But I think we go after both.

I think we should add NMSU, UTEP, and TX State As full time members. Still try to get the 2 Midwest schools for football only, and try to raid the WCC for some Bball only schools.

I'm 100% all in on UTEP/TEXAS STATE.

I think you need a Texas presence of some kind.

I saw some Sagrin rating model thingy posted on the Twitter. Com .

It was showing if the MWC added Montana State Montana SAC STATE Idaho I think? plus UTEP NMSU that based on those additions MWC would be third rated G5.

Not great but not the disaster I assumed.

Last edited:

It was showing if the MWC added Montana State Montana SAC STATE Idaho I think? plus UTEP NMS that based on those additions MWC would be third rated G5.

Where did it predict the PAC ?

30,000 expandable to 45,000.

Yep.

I'm not down on Allegiant. I just don't think it was needed for UNLV to get into a P5. (Sam Boyd wasn't an option either)

I've been on a ton of road trips for UNLV. Outside of the Cathedrals of football. The Big House, Horsehoe and Notre Dame none of them were much to write home about.

Northwestern was awful. Campus community around it was super cool. WSU stadium wasn't anything special.

I don't view FB stadiums like I do baseball. Once you're inside its all pretty much the same. Baseball you get different nuances with field configurations.

No joke one of the coolest stadiums was the Sun Bowl/Utep the way it was built into the mountain.

It was showing if the MWC added Montana State Montana SAC STATE Idaho I think? plus UTEP NMS that based on those additions MWC would be third rated G5.

I dont think the MWC adds 4 FCS teams. That's not a sustainable model. Maybe 1, you pick which one you think is best add. You either ask if they have the $ to elevate from FCS or you offer. But you limit it. Otherwise you're selling your product short. And I don't see a scenario where FCS programs jump with smaller media shares, even if it's higher than they're currently getting

Reactions: Boston Rebel 2
I dont think the MWC adds 4 FCS teams. That's not a sustainable model. Maybe 1, you pick which one you think is best add. You either ask if they have the $ to elevate from FCS or you offer. But you limit it. Otherwise you're selling your product short. And I don't see a scenario where FCS programs jump with smaller media shares, even if it's higher than they're currently getting

I'm throwing crap at the wall at this point.

Considering what's available it's UTEP/TEXAS STATE/NMSU as most realistic sensible additions.

A weird one I saw somebody throw out on Twitter. Western Kentucky. May be an option if they miss out on Texas State, NIU and Toledo. Circle Back to W. Kentucky UTEP NMSU.

Over last 5 years they've won 9 games three times 8 games and a 5 win season. Not bad.

Reactions: RebelinWA
I'm throwing crap at the wall at this point.

Considering what's available it's UTEP/TEXAS STATE/NMSU as most realistic sensible additions.

A weird one I saw somebody throw out on Twitter. Western Kentucky. May be an option if they miss out on Texas State, NIU and Toledo. Circle Back to W. Kentucky UTEP NMSU.

Over last 5 years they've won 9 games three times 8 games and a 5 win season. Not bad.
Leave our new schools alone! :)

• Haha
Reactions: Knight Rebel702
Leave our new schools alone! :)

That your feeling? I mean no way NMSU/UTEP get passed by both PAC and MWC right?

I think if PAC goes Texas State MWC almost has to go all in on UTEP and vice versa. El Paso would be a pretty large market to just ignore.

Ignoring results..El Paso is almost 6x larger than Las Cruces. Personally I would target UTEP over NMSU.

Plus recruiting. The talent pool in Texas is so much larger it's not funny.

That your feeling? I mean no way NMSU/UTEP get passed by both PAC and MWC right?

I think if PAC goes Texas State MWC almost has to go all in on UTEP and vice versa. El Paso would be a pretty large market to just ignore.

Ignoring results..El Paso is almost 6x larger than Las Cruces. Personally I would target UTEP over NMSU.

Plus recruiting. The talent pool in Texas is so much larger it's not funny.
Not saying we should/should not take any of the teams mentioned. But El Paso isn’t really grabbing anything in Texas. Really just an extension of New Mexico.

Texas State would be different.

Not saying we should/should not take any of the teams mentioned. But El Paso isn’t really grabbing anything in Texas. Really just an extension of New Mexico.

I get that but San Marcos is 70k population. El Paso is 700k.

Yes I want Texas State, but I think a city of 3/4 of a million people is kind of hard to pass up no?

TV execs look at both market penetration and market potential.

Last year Montana state averaged just under 22,000 per game. We averaged just over 22,000 per game. The Montana grizzlies averaged just under 26,000 per game.
Those are almost to capacity though of their stadiums. Montana is one of the coolest stadiums to play at. Seating goes right up to the sidelines. Notorious for fans throwing stuff at players haha. Really fun tailgating and the town shuts down.

Reactions: LVRebel2000
For the Montana's and the Dakota's, aren't both D2 (or whatever it's called now)? That means that all would need to invest more in every program and probably develop some new programs, resulting in a ton of costs. Are any willing to do so when they have it pretty good at their current levels?

I was always a proponent of an on-campus stadium for the reasons articulated but mostly to get alumni back on campus which helps with fundraising and engagement with all other academic and athletic units at the University. Having now experienced the comfort and convenience of an indoor stadium I’m not sure an open-air on-campus stadium would meet the needs of a fickle fan base (which I guess I resemble). It would have to be enclosed which means a lot more expensive. The airport raised all types of issues with an on-campus open-air stadium due to lighting concerns with approaching aircraft on the north-south runway so an enclosed stadium would solve that. Still, lots of other challenges in that regard not the least of which is that UNLV is running out of land and will soon need to begin developing the 2000 acres it’s has in NLV. Using the remaining limited space for a stadium will be a tough sell when we have a $2B indoor stadium at our disposal. First world problems for UNLV in this regard. For now it would be great (when $$ is available) to tarp and brand the top tier of Allegiant for UNLV games since it is unlikely we will fill it even if we become an annually ranked team.

I was always a proponent of an on-campus stadium for the reasons articulated but mostly to get alumni back on campus which helps with fundraising and engagement with all other academic and athletic units at the University. Having now experienced the comfort and convenience of an indoor stadium I’m not sure an open-air on-campus stadium would meet the needs of a fickle fan base (which I guess I resemble). It would have to be enclosed which means a lot more expensive. The airport raised all types of issues with an on-campus open-air stadium due to lighting concerns with approaching aircraft on the north-south runway so an enclosed stadium would solve that. Still, lots of other challenges in that regard not the least of which is that UNLV is running out of land and will soon need to begin developing the 2000 acres it’s has in NLV. Using the remaining limited space for a stadium will be a tough sell when we have a $2B indoor stadium at our disposal. First world problems for UNLV in this regard. For now it would be great (when $$ is available) to tarp and brand the top tier of Allegiant for UNLV games since it is unlikely we will fill it even if we become an annually ranked team.

Say we get 40k eventually, you'll have to open up the top, you could open end zone seating up top for super cheap tix prices and do like you said tarp off the rest with UNLV branding.

Reactions: dcut03
NEW CONFERENCE SCENARIO 3.0 or 4.0 can't keep up.

This is a PAC gets Texas State or Texas State stays put hoping for AAC invite.

UNLV
SJSU
RENO
AFA
UNM
HAWAII (FB ONLY)
WYOMING

MWC ADDS

UTEP
NMSU
WESTERN KY
LA TECH

None of those are overly exciting but WKU over last 5 years has 3 9 win seasons an 8 win season and a 5 win season. LA TECH helps as a travel partner for them.

Problem is 11 is a wonky conference number seems like 12 would be better. But without dipping into FCS I'm not sure who you else you grab.Not to mention you just gutted CUSA and basically did same thing PAC is doing to us more or less.

I don't think 8 or 9 is viable.

No way Gloria could feel comfortable at that number with UNLV having an out (unlikely as it might be)

Last edited:
I thought during the original stadium plans they were talking about doing the mechanical curtains for the top deck during UNLV games. It looks a lot better than straight tarps. The Atlanta MLS team plays in a NFL stadium but it looks pretty nice without the 400 level seats showing.

I thought during the original stadium plans they were talking about doing the mechanical curtains for the top deck during UNLV games. It looks a lot better than straight tarps. The Atlanta MLS team plays in a NFL stadium but it looks pretty nice without the 400 level seats showing.

That’s a beautiful stadium. SoFi also well done.

I'm hoping if we have continued success in football we eventually get an on campus stadium once our lease with the Raiders runs out. We would have complete control over our schedule and be able to do a lot more with events etc. Not to mention maybe make some nice tailgating areas. Long story short with continued success an on campus stadium would make for a much better college environment overall.

If we were to ever have an on-campus stadium (I don't think it will ever happen), it needs to be another dome. Can't imagine what a football game atmosphere would be like with planes flying over every 30 seconds.

Thought about this some more.

Reading Twitter majority of Texas State fans want nothing to do with MWC conference. They obviously have no say but most want a PAC or AAC invite or prefer to stay in the Sun Belt. Read NIU fan stuff basically same reaction. Hell yes if it was before all this mess, but see no reason to leave MAC for depleted MWC.

I'm telling you I'm worried Presidents and ADs might look at current MWC situation and not see any benefit.

UTEP / NMSU fans seem to want out of CUSA and don't care where they land.

It's survival of the fittest right now. I do not think the PAC or MWC can feel very good at the moment.

PAC in better spot in that they just need one in all sports to reach the minimum.

Honestly more I think about it I'd go after whobI had a stronger feeling I could get vs more questionable ones like NIU or Toledo. I like both additions but as football only, they don't change the fact still need at least two.

I believe UTEP and NMSU would both jump. Lock that up immediately and then starting hunting bigger game .

I do like that we are in contact with Texas State though.

Has the Pac 12 offered any new members yet? My gut says they're waiting to see who we add and then swoop on for the leftovers and claim that was there target the entire time.
I think the PAC is going to throw the kitchen sink at UTSA. It's the least damaging to their media deal, makes sense regionally for the last addition and makes it easier for them to pick off Memphis, Tulane, and USF next round. It's the only thing I see making sense. The PAC are going to give us UTEP, Texas State, etc... but they're going to drive up the cost just out of spite. It's exactly what I would do in their current situation. Because the MWC teams are shutoff, they have no choice but to go east from here on out.

PAC is cooked if they take any other route.

For this reason, we need to offer UTSA and get them in a bidding war as well. Really emptying the PAC's wallet further.

There you go. Get creative. Make it look great. Until we can worry about getting 40k+ fans anyways.

I think the PAC is going to throw the kitchen sink at UTSA. It's the least damaging to their media deal, makes sense regionally for the last addition and makes it easier for them to pick off Memphis, Tulane, and USF next round. It's the only thing I see making sense. The PAC are going to give us UTEP, Texas State, etc... but they're going to drive up the cost just out of spite. It's exactly what I would do in their current situation. Because the MWC teams are shutoff, they have no choice but to go east from here on out.

PAC is cooked if they take any other route.

For this reason, we need to offer UTSA and get them in a bidding war as well. Really emptying the PAC's wallet further.
They are only giving out half the PAC money use the rest to get two decent teams whether that be UTSA and Texas State or whoever. NMSU is a dead end.

They are only giving out half the PAC money use the rest to get two decent teams whether that be UTSA and Texas State or whoever. NMSU is a dead end.
Theresa is getting into a desperate state of mind. At this point I don't think she cares how much of OSU & WSU money she spends. I guess OSU & WSU have no debt or major projects to invest that money into. Kudos to them. I still think they are out of their minds when they could still have a conference and have the two best funded athletic departments in the conference for decades by not spending a dime on expansion had they done a reverse merger. Dumbest thing ever just to appease some egos.

Theresa is getting into a desperate state of mind. At this point I don't think she cares how much of OSU & WSU money she spends. I guess OSU & WSU have no debt or major projects to invest that money into. Kudos to them. I still think they are out of their minds when they could still have a conference and have the two best funded athletic departments in the conference for decades by not spending a dime on expansion had they done a reverse merger. Dumbest thing ever just to appease some egos.
100%

I Dont Understand Arrested Development GIF

Concur 100%, except that you spelled Teresa's name wrong, and as far as debt goes, WSU is awash with a cumulative debt of well over $100M. Our stadium revamp, our FOB building, the unfulfilled promise of the Pac-12 network, etc.

It is ridiculous that we put our future into the hands of someone who cares solely about keeping her job, which would have gone away in a reverse merger or a joining of the MW. Funny how Gloria is out there making lemonade while all we hear from the Pac-2 (and WSU for that matter) is crickets.

If we don't just take Sac State in with open arms we are bigger f-ing idiots than we have already proven ourselves to be.

Concur 100%, except that you spelled Teresa's name wrong, and as far as debt goes, WSU is awash with a cumulative debt of well over $100M. Our stadium revamp, our FOB building, the unfulfilled promise of the Pac-12 network, etc.

It is ridiculous that we put our future into the hands of someone who cares solely about keeping her job, which would have gone away in a reverse merger or a joining of the MW. Funny how Gloria is out there making lemonade while all we hear from the Pac-2 (and WSU for that matter) is crickets.

If we don't just take Sac State in with open arms we are bigger f-ing idiots than we have already proven ourselves to be.

Will be interesting watching how this unfolds the next few days. Numerous reports of MWC being in talks with Texas State offers being made. PAC also reported to be talking to Texas State as well but no official offer. We all kinda figured UTEP would be on the radar. But there was next to nothing about there even being serious talks. Then out of nowhere report that UTEP and MWC close to finalizing. I wonder if that was by design..

This could just be wishful thinking of OSU fans, but they seem convinced PAC will circle back and make Memphis a sizeable offer.

If MWC is able to get Texas State this week, Gloria deserves a ton of credit for holding the conference together and getting to the required number of 8 full members pretty quickly

OK SO ONE PIECE OF THE PUZZLE DONE WITH UTEP.

Would you guys be behind this.

UNLV
UNM
RENO
UTEP
AFA
WYO
HAWAII (FB Only)
SJSU

At 8 for football. Plus..

SAC STATE
Western Kentucky
Middle Tennessee State
Sam Houston State (2nd Texas School)

Western Kentucky has been pretty solid in football provides new TV market Add Middle Tennessee asa travel partner for them.

I could get behind this one.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT