ADVERTISEMENT

Who's the next school to get poached.

Texas State is nowhere near the quality of the Traiterous 5.
They are a big state school in Texas, and have only been FBS for 12 years. IN TEXAS !! What does that tell you?

Just because some random site called them the best bet for the playoff preseason ( that has not aged well at all), doesn't mean they are a top G5 team. They are not.

They are definitely on the right track. But they would be tanking their contract, worse than USU for sure.

They have potential, and they get us into Texas which is big, but let's not get ahead of ourselves.
Realistically, there aren't any targets that are good enough right now, to be a swap out for the traitors 4. At least not that the MWC could afford. We're not stealing teams from the AAC, due to exit fee costs. Unless you somehow convinced some to leave after the 27 months deal, to bring down the cost, but that doesn't seem very likely.

They are a big state school in Texas, and have only been FBS for 12 years. IN TEXAS !! What does that tell you?

Just because some random site called them the best bet for the playoff preseason ( that has not aged well at all), doesn't mean they are a top G5 team. They are not.

They are definitely on the right track. But they would be tanking their contract, worse than USU for sure.

They have potential, and they get us into Texas which is big, but let's not get ahead of ourselves.
They’ll grow with time. This is why we need to get another Texas school on top of Texas state to inject us into the market faster. Having a good Utep and Texas State rilvalry is a must.

Reactions: bcvegaspt2

Add UTEP/Texas State get your 8 settled.

Circle back to NIU types next.

Honestly just merge no penalties to create hang ups. Remain the best G5 conference in football.

Still can pursue Grand Canyon and Gonzaga as basketball only members.

Win win for everybody.
I think there needs to be at least SOME penance. The traitors? Fine… no more sweetheart deal for Boise and maybe that’s it. Still think there needs to be a cost.

The other two… nah… they get to put their money back in their pockets and then use it to dominate the conference? No thanks. They pay the bonuses for the teams that stayed.

In my humble opinion.

USTA mixed with Texas State would be a really good pick up for the MWC. Those two teams are as good as any of the MWC teams going to the PAC with the exception of BSU. UNLV has now replaced BSU as the top dog in the MWC. Hopefully UNLV can keep it up. Very happy to play UTSA or Texas State over Utah State, SDSU, CSU and Fresno State. Fresno State looked like a high school team this weekend.

Problem we can't afford UTSA. And I don't think they would pay that buy out.

Right now AAC is more attractive for them.

UTEP seems more realistic.

I think there needs to be at least SOME penance. The traitors? Fine… no more sweetheart deal for Boise and maybe that’s it. Still think there needs to be a cost.

The other two… nah… they get to put their money back in their pockets and then use it to dominate the conference? No thanks. They pay the bonuses for the teams that stayed.

In my humble opinion.

Whatever would get it done. I'm good with.

Anybody the MWC adds is going to have some major warts. That’s just where we’re at right now. Texas State looks like the best option we could hope for now. They’re nowhere near the level of the first 4 teams we lost but I think 5 years from now you could be saying they’re more valuable than USU.

I think this is where you start pushing out the Pac 12 targets... They want a Texas school. So you grab UTEP and Texas St. they're left with NMStU and FCS schools or pay a bunch of money and bring in UTSA/Memphis/Tulane with a much better offer.. I think again the AAC schools are going to be very risk adverse at this time because their buyouts are large and the nature of becoming a whipping post for these top tier Temu12 schools cant be appetizing in the new world of CFP. Is the difference for those AAC teams in media vs upfront costs going to be enough to sell yourself on basically getting beat by Boise in football and SDSU in basketball every season? IDK....

I think this is where you start pushing out the Pac 12 targets... They want a Texas school. So you grab UTEP and Texas St. they're left with NMStU and FCS schools or pay a bunch of money and bring in UTSA/Memphis/Tulane with a much better offer.. I think again the AAC schools are going to be very risk adverse at this time because their buyouts are large and the nature of becoming a whipping post for these top tier Temu12 schools cant be appetizing in the new world of CFP. Is the difference for those AAC teams in media vs upfront costs going to be enough to sell yourself on basically getting beat by Boise in football and SDSU in basketball every season? IDK....

100% go all in on UTEP and Texas State.

A city with a population of 700k is not a market the MWC should ignore.

I'd take them before NMSU.

I would round out Texas State with UTEP, Sam Houston, and New Mexico State.

Does it replace what traitors brought? Absolutely no. But at least with Texas and Utep there is potential for the region.

Reactions: LVRebel2000
Anybody the MWC adds is going to have some major warts. That’s just where we’re at right now. Texas State looks like the best option we could hope for now. They’re nowhere near the level of the first 4 teams we lost but I think 5 years from now you could be saying they’re more valuable than USU.
I saw a post that said that Tx State was better than any of the MW defectors, but that post is gone. Lol. Maybe they thought we landed UTSA? ( Even so, they are not as good as the initial 4, USU maybe).
Didn't mean to sound harsh on this add. I do like it for the MW now. I think we grab UTEP and pretty much call it a day. Keep it lean.

Because honestly after UNLV, who else is really a threat to leave for the P4 early? I don't think they need to over expand to protect from future defections other than UNLV.
Though I like the idea of the mid west schools for football only, and SMU/GCU for basketball/

They’ll grow with time. This is why we need to get another Texas school on top of Texas state to inject us into the market faster. Having a good Utep and Texas State rilvalry is a must.
I don’t think Texas State has ever even played UTEP before so I don’t think it’s much of a rivalry but it could grow into something.

Sam Houston State / Texas State is the big rivalry. They may be on the radar too.

Possible..

One thing about USU. They are like vanilla ice cream. You don't hate it, it's also not your favorite. But it delivers consistent results.

And no I did not say vanilla because their rosters are full of white dudes named Jorgenson, Olsen and Young.

I don’t think Texas State has ever even played UTEP before so I don’t think it’s much of a rivalry but it could grow into something.

Sam Houston State / Texas State is the big rivalry. They may be on the radar too.

If Sam Houston State is being considered then does it make sense to go after UTEP and lock the PAC out of Texas market?

Possible..

One thing about USU. They are like vanilla ice cream. You don't hate it, it's also not your favorite. But it delivers consistent results.

And no I did not say vanilla because their rosters are full of white dudes named Jorgenson, Olsen and Young.
Using your analogy that makes NMSU Horse Apple Ice Cream. Looks like shit tastes like shit.

Reactions: Bullmastiff 1
It does though.

Rankings are based around strength of schedule.

People keep saying UNLV can just dominate the MWC 2.0 and get the G5 CFP invite every year.

To do that they will have to ramp up their OOC considerably to compensate for a weaker conference schedule. Makes things more difficult.

AP/Coaches polls and whatever Commodore 64 they use to formulate the rankings algorithm weighs strength of schedule.

Your margin for error shrinks way down.
The talk was that Liberty would have been in the CFP the last couple years despite having a weak SOS.

The talk was that Liberty would have been in the CFP the last couple years despite having a weak SOS.

Possibly but an 11-1 AAC or MWC team would get the nod over them. CUSA is that bad overall.

Then you get the to the at large spots.

I can't see any way the powers that be wouldn't find a way to get in 2 SEC teams and 2 BIG10 teams plus a BIG12 and ACC team in.

See it in basketball all the time with the selection committees.

The fact that we’re considering the Texas market is great news. It means we’re getting advice from a media partner (CBS likely) and that they want a central time zone slot.

Shoot for Texas schools and then maybe look to the MAC programs. It’s bad news for San Jose state, since it means more travel for them but I don’t think they are in a position to complain.

Following some big OSU accounts on Twitter.

Holy crap they think this is all going swimmingly. Texas State or UTEP are beneath the standard. Circle back get Memhis. UTEP is awful. etc etc
Realistically, what would it take for the PAC to get Memphis?

IMO, you'd have to:
1. pay Memphis' full exit fee = $25 million.
2. Have a media contract guarantee = $11 million/school or more. I think Memphis currently is getting $8 million/year, and all of the extra travel costs will likely be 2-3 million per year, so I think the $11 would be the floor that they'd consider. It's also possible that the AAC has sweetened the deal for Memphis / Tulane, etc, and are agreeing to a larger payout, but I haven't seen if that's the case.

Reactions: Boston Rebel 2
Dug up a couple of items regarding Memphis & Tulane:

Current deal: Memphis, Tulane and USF make close to $9 million in revenue from the league all-in between media rights, bowl deals and NCAA units.

PAC proposal: While the Pac-12 has offered revenue projections of more than $12 million, there's no guarantee it would land there, considering it doesn't know who the final members will be

PAC previous offer to Memphis: The Pac-12 reportedly offered only $2.5 million to help Memphis pay conference exit fees, and Scott said that report was accurate

AAC commitment:
Some teams that have reaffirmed their status in conferences this week (like UNLV and Air Force in the Mountain West) have gotten significant financial deals to stay, but Scott said there's no deal currently for additional revenue from the AAC. "There's nothing on the table now that says we're going to get more money," he said. "And I would also say, just contextually, you should see what the shares are of the new members. Because some of them are getting more money than they expected, but they might not be getting as much money as Memphis."

Realistically, what would it take for the PAC to get Memphis?

IMO, you'd have to:
1. pay Memphis' full exit fee = $25 million.
2. Have a media contract guarantee = $11 million/school or more. I think Memphis currently is getting $8 million/year, and all of the extra travel costs will likely be 2-3 million per year, so I think the $11 would be the floor that they'd consider. It's also possible that the AAC has sweetened the deal for Memphis / Tulane, etc, and are agreeing to a larger payout, but I haven't seen if that's the case.

I'm horrible at math but cost seems exorbitant. Especially if Memphis had to sign the same thing original 4 did with ridiculous exit fees. They're in a decent position for an ACC or BIG12 invite. They make solid money with current media deal.

Holy crap they think this is all going swimmingly. Texas State or UTEP are beneath the standard. Circle back get Memhis. UTEP is awful. etc etc
They are more delusional than the Cougs. Oh but our baseball team is great! Funny how this board and especially that crazy-ass WCS board have endless strings on this mess. The Wazzuwatch board? Pretty much crickets except for that one stupid, idiotic poster. Guess who that is? :)

Dug up a couple of items regarding Memphis & Tulane:

Current deal: Memphis, Tulane and USF make close to $9 million in revenue from the league all-in between media rights, bowl deals and NCAA units.

PAC proposal: While the Pac-12 has offered revenue projections of more than $12 million, there's no guarantee it would land there, considering it doesn't know who the final members will be

PAC previous offer to Memphis: The Pac-12 reportedly offered only $2.5 million to help Memphis pay conference exit fees, and Scott said that report was accurate

AAC commitment:
Some teams that have reaffirmed their status in conferences this week (like UNLV and Air Force in the Mountain West) have gotten significant financial deals to stay, but Scott said there's no deal currently for additional revenue from the AAC. "There's nothing on the table now that says we're going to get more money," he said. "And I would also say, just contextually, you should see what the shares are of the new members. Because some of them are getting more money than they expected, but they might not be getting as much money as Memphis."
I put the chances of Memphis/Tulane joining the Pac about even with the chance that pigs will fly out of my ass.

Dont worry.. Once we push you out of the Texas market you can always go chat with powerhouse Sac St. and the Idaho Vandals...
Can you clarify a bit on this? I'm not sure how things operate up in Eastern Washington. ;)
Hah hah on Idaho. You know they were in our league once upon a time. 1922-1959.

Regarding flying pigs. It starts with a little fluttering and muffled squealing noise down there. Then your big intestine starts moving around like it is getting smacked from inside. Then a snuffling noise coming from your butt. Next thing you know, out it comes and off it goes!

Hah hah on Idaho. You know they were in our league once upon a time. 1922-1959.

Regarding flying pigs. It starts with a little fluttering and muffled squealing noise down there. Then your big intestine starts moving around like it is getting smacked from inside. Then a snuffling noise coming from your butt. Next thing you know, out it comes and off it goes!
so you're saying that there is a chance Memphis/Tulane come then. I hear you

The fact that we’re considering the Texas market is great news. It means we’re getting advice from a media partner (CBS likely) and that they want a central time zone slot.

Shoot for Texas schools and then maybe look to the MAC programs. It’s bad news for San Jose state, since it means more travel for them but I don’t think they are in a position to complain.
I would be surprised if CBS/Paramount had money for that. But then again they just laid off 3100 of us.

They are more delusional than the Cougs. Oh but our baseball team is great! Funny how this board and especially that crazy-ass WCS board have endless strings on this mess. The Wazzuwatch board? Pretty much crickets except for that one stupid, idiotic poster. Guess who that is? :)

Memphis we will bring you in at 80% share!

80% of what?

See this chart here. This is our nonexistent media deal projections.

CLICK...

Utep is awful. The Temu12 are banking on sweetening the deal woth Memphis and another AAC school to get them to commit to them. Could happen, I guess.

I put the chances of Memphis/Tulane joining the Pac about even with the chance that pigs will fly out of my ass.
braveheart GIF

Utep is awful. The Temu12 are banking on sweetening the deal woth Memphis and another AAC school to get them to commit to them. Could happen, I guess.

UTEP is not a great option but, El Paso is a decent sized market. It's next to Juarez so they could potentially tap into the Cartels for NIL money.

By itself no, I'm not crazy about it. But with a Texas State (if that happens) I think it's a smart play to box PAC out of Texas.

The thing about the AAC is that their payouts will eventually go down. They took a hit when the 4 left last season. They were able to tread water by giving the incomers lesser deals, but at some point the payouts will even out and reduce.

The new PAC will also get bonuses from the NCAAT and with the playoff revenue sharing, so really we should be comparing base media contract to base media contract to be fair.

Who knows when Memphis' annual payouts reduce, but they probably will at some point, so there is that to consider.

UTSA is already lower ( again undisclosed), but could increase a little, but the difference for them will be more substantial.

I still think Memphis stays just to keep the door open for the P4.

UTEP is not a great option but, El Paso is a decent sized market. It's next to Juarez so they could potentially tap into the Cartels for NIL money.

By itself no, I'm not crazy about it. But with a Texas State (if that happens) I think it's a smart play to box PAC out of Texas.
I read that the student population is 86% hispanic. The Mexico fanbase contingent is strong. It is right on the border there. In fact I was charged roaming fees for Mexico cell space when driving near El Paso when driving back home one year.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT