ADVERTISEMENT

Dellenger: MWC talking to FCS Tarleton State

Recruiting and TV eyeballs in Texas.

I get that and don't disagree. But how far down the food chain are they. Plus UNLV already recruits Texas not sure it helps there that much.

Honestly I know next to nothing about the school. So I might not be being fair.

I think if I'm MWC I look at Western Kentucky first.

Last edited:
I get that and don't disagree. But how far down the food chain are they. Plus UNLV already recruits Texas not sure it helps there that much.

Honestly I know next to nothing about the school. So I might not be being fair.

I think if I'm MWC I look at Western Kentucky first.

I honestly don't know crap about WKU either. And UTEP has been in the same conference with them for years.

Therein lies the problem.

Keep it within the geographic footprint that makes sense. A footprint that people can get at least a little excited about. A footprint where we can all love to hate each other. In a friendly/family way, of course. I always hated that UTEP was in CUSA playing again ODWho? and F(something)U and whomever else. NEVER made sense to me.

I can at least get excited about the Miners playing against Wyoming and Air Force and, yes, UNLV.

I can at least get excited about the Miners playing against Wyoming and Air Force and, yes, UNLV.

Glad that excites you and it probably should, but playing UTEP or any other TX school not currently in a P4 conference doesn’t excite me at all. UNLV has been left in what is a shit conference and unfortunately the only schools the MWC have either already added (UTEP) or will add are downgrades from each of the schools that left.

I honestly don't know crap about WKU either. And UTEP has been in the same conference with them for years.

Therein lies the problem.

Keep it within the geographic footprint that makes sense. A footprint that people can get at least a little excited about. A footprint where we can all love to hate each other. In a friendly/family way, of course. I always hated that UTEP was in CUSA playing again ODWho? and F(something)U and whomever else. NEVER made sense to me.

Last 5 years WKU had three 9 win seasons, an 8 win season and a 5 win season.

I hear you about trying to stay regional.

I guess the counter to that would be getting into new markets expanding your brand?

UTEP has struggled for some time but I simply don't think MWC can ignore a market with 700k people. Especially one in Texas.

I much prefer the prospect of UTEP and what they bring vs NMSU for instance. No knock on NMSU but Las Cruces is like 100k people. I don't think they move the needle enough in athletics to make that market one that media partners would be clamoring to get into.

Personally I'd like to rewind the clock. Tell OSU and WSU to pound sand and go independent and figure it out on their own.

Not saying this article gets me on the Tarleton bandwagon. But I kind of understand why Gloria is maybe kicking the tires. I'm fine I guess if they are an addition. Just not the only or final addition.

It doesn’t matter to me if the MWC adds Tarlenton or Montana. What matters is we get our own house in order to get that Big12 invite.

I’m glad the MWC is targeting Texas schools and branching out east to get more eyeballs and better for recruiting.

I think that's the biggest question really. Was the decision to stay put because the PAC offer was so bad or we didn't have the money?

Or

Are we in legitimate talks with the BIG12 and there is an agreement in place for UNLV to join if they meet certain criteria?

I think that's the biggest question really. Was the decision to stay put because the PAC offer was so bad or we didn't have the money?

Or

Are we in legitimate talks with the BIG12 and there is an agreement in place for UNLV to join if they meet certain criteria?
You know I love you guys but why does the Big-12 keep coming up in your threads? They did not want the Pac-2. They don't want UNLV. Yet it keeps coming up as some sort of plausible scenario. It reminds me of the shit I've endured on my board. Oh, Big-12. Oh ACC is folding. Oh, a western pod of the ACC. All pipe dreams.

You know I love you guys but why does the Big-12 keep coming up in your threads? They did not want the Pac-2. They don't want UNLV. Yet it keeps coming up as some sort of plausible scenario. It reminds me of the shit I've endured on my board. Oh, Big-12. Oh ACC is folding. Oh, a western pod of the ACC. All pipe dreams.

Because there were talks with the BIG12 around the time Allegiant stadium was being built. From my understanding BIG12 outlined what UNLV had to get in order for an invite.

Around that time if you remember SDSU was rumored to be going to BIG12 at a reduced revenue share.

Point being..

The only reason UNLV (in my opinion) should have turned down the PAC invite was because they felt there was a realistic chance of an invite.

Again my opinion there was no reason to stay in the remnants of the MWC. For all the floundering of the PAC nobody can look at the current MWC and think it's a great place to remain long term.

UNLV stayed put with a provision they can pursue or join a P4 with no penalty (exit fees). Again maybe a pipe dream but smart to have that out.

We'll know in a few years if spurning the PAC was the right call or not.

I'm in the camp if UNLV ends up in the BIG12 it was the right call.

If we're stuck in a depleted MWC I don't think it was the right call and athletics will suffer not benefit from it long term.

So we either are paying our way into the Big12 (as unlikely as that may seem)

Or renting a coffin for 5 years for our athletic department. Call it hyperbolic or pearl clutching but I do not think UNLV football can build on this momentum in what will likely be the 3rd best G5 conference.

We just got snubbed by Texas State a school with like 2 winning seasons at the FBS level.

Some will say this was the right play no matter what. Others think it was the wrong play.

I'm in the middle. Tobearly to say. Depends on the outcome.

I think we need to hit the pause button right now.

If we could have grabbed Texas State I was for it but this seems like a HUGE overreaction. We could grab Tarleton at any time. Nobody has ever been interested in a Tarleton State.

I’m pretty sure Tarleton was trying to move up to FBS last year and CUSA passed on them. The new MWC is garbage but we have to have higher standards than CUSA rejects.

Reactions: Bullmastiff 1
I mean just grab NMSU and call it a day. Enough with the Tarlenton b

If we could have grabbed Texas State I was for it but this seems like a HUGE overreaction. We could grab Tarleton at any time. Nobody has ever been interested in a Tarleton State.

I’m pretty sure Tarleton was trying to move up to FBS last year and CUSA passed on them. The new MWC is garbage but we have to have higher standards than CUSA rejects.
Just wait for the Big 12 invite..

Someone just wanted to give Tarleton State some pub lol

I linked an article about Tarleton State above.

I'm not saying their addition is exciting me all that much but I can see why Gloria is possibly kicking the tires a little bit.

I would prefer a combo of Western Kentucky and La Tech vs something like Tarleton and NMSU.

Western Ky has been pretty solid. La Tech isn't great but give WKU a travel partner.

I hate to bash on NMSU but the Las Cruces market adds very little. We already have UNM in New Mexico and therefore a recruiting pipeline there.

WKU and La Tech add new potential markets and recruiting areas.

The pickings are slim.

Sac State an option as well.

If Gloria added WKU and La Tech plus either Tarleton or Sac State I'd be OK with it.

If it's just SAC State and or Tarleton and she says mission accomplished then the conference is in some trouble and would trail PAC and AAC. Not sure it would be all that much better than the MAC at that point.

But after years of crying about the slow death of our BB program we'd have a legit shot at winning that conference so Yay! I guess.

I linked an article about Tarleton State above.

I'm not saying their addition is exciting me all that much but I can see why Gloria is possibly kicking the tires a little bit.

I would prefer a combo of Western Kentucky and La Tech vs something like Tarleton and NMSU.

Western Ky has been pretty solid. La Tech isn't great but give WKU a travel partner.

I hate to bash on NMSU but the Las Cruces market adds very little. We already have UNM in New Mexico and therefore a recruiting pipeline there.

WKU and La Tech add new potential markets and recruiting areas.

The pickings are slim.

Sac State an option as well.

If Gloria added WKU and La Tech plus either Tarleton or Sac State I'd be OK with it.

If it's just SAC State and or Tarleton and she says mission accomplished then the conference is in some trouble and would trail PAC and AAC. Not sure it would be all that much better than the MAC at that point.

But after years of crying about the slow death of our BB program we'd have a legit shot at winning that conference so Yay! I guess.

Western Kentucky isn’t bad but it’s so damn far away for an all sport add.

LaTech is still a big no for me. The Ruston market is not one we should be interested in.

If you’re looking for a travel partner for Western Kentucky, Middle Tennessee is only 90 miles away. You knock out 2 games (basketball, womens basketball. volleyball, etc) with one flight east.

I mean none of this sounds great but we’re running out of options here.

Western Kentucky isn’t bad but it’s so damn far away for an all sport add.

LaTech is still a big no for me. The Ruston market is not one we should be interested in.

If you’re looking for a travel partner for Western Kentucky, Middle Tennessee is only 90 miles away. You knock out 2 games (basketball, womens basketball. volleyball, etc) with one flight east.

I mean none of this sounds great but we’re running out of options here.

Middle Tenn would be ok. Definitely take that over La Tech after you mentioned it.

Travel a mother for both.

Problem might be buyouts/exit fees for both. I think that would take CUSA below minimum but they have 2 they are calling up next season so not sure how that impacts things.

Reactions: RebNReno
C-USA exit fee buyout is $2 million. Their TV contract only pays $750k a year. It seems like C-USA teams would jump at a MWC invite but maybe not. The western teams (New Mexico/Texas) would but maybe the eastern teams don’t want all that travel without knowing revenue guarantees.

C-USA exit fee buyout is $2 million. Their TV contract only pays $750k a year. It seems like C-USA teams would jump at a MWC invite but maybe not. The western teams (New Mexico/Texas) would but maybe the eastern teams don’t want all that travel without knowing revenue guarantees.

I've seen it reported MWC media deal will remain unchanged. I mean I hope that's the case but not sure how it doesn't take a hit? Losing San Diego, Fresno, CSU market, plus the Boise name seems like it would take a hit.

To your point, what kind of media deal/money over their current 750k would it take to offset increased travel costs I wonder.

Reactions: LVRebel2000

Or

C. All of the above

*They didnt want Pullman WA and Corvallis Oregon...much like your new league mates didnt want Laramie and Reno.

Las Vegas is a destination and has been talking to Big 12 officials dating back to 2011-2012 when the first on campus stadium conversations were being done. Theres a reason why we got the P4 out in the new agreement and its because we were talking to Big 12 officials and have been for some time. They moved their media days to Vegas...

Tarleton has recently jumped from around 12K enrollment up to over 16K enrollment over the last few years. They have an old football stadium that was renovated and sits at 24K. Tarleton State just broke ground last year on a new $110 million event center that will seat 8K for basketball. They are a founding member of the Texas A&M University education system which means they have very good funding abilities for athletics. Currently 4-1 and #14 ranked at the FCS level (8-3 last year). All of there current games are on ESPN plus. The school has 90,000 alumni and has been around since 1899. It appears the school is rapidly growing because of the shortage of space at other universities in the Texas A&M education system. Tarleton State had an average football attendance of 18,697 in 2023. As of July 2, 2024 Tarleton State became a full-fledged NCAA division I university and as of this year meets the 4 year waiting period to become qualified for D1 post season. They are currently part of the ASun-WAC (United Athletic Conference) conference. Located in Stephenville about an hour southwest of Dallas Forth-Worth.

Reactions: bcvegaspt2
Tarleton has recently jumped from around 12K enrollment up to over 16K enrollment over the last few years. They have an old football stadium that was renovated and sits at 24K. Tarleton State just broke ground last year on a new $110 million event center that will seat 8K for basketball. They are a founding member of the Texas A&M University education system which means they have very good funding abilities for athletics. Currently 4-1 and #14 ranked at the FCS level (8-3 last year). All of there current games are on ESPN plus. The school has 90,000 alumni and has been around since 1899. It appears the school is rapidly growing because of the shortage of space at other universities in the Texas A&M education system. Tarleton State had an average football attendance of 18,697 in 2023. As of July 2, 2024 Tarleton State became a full-fledged NCAA division I university and as of this year meets the 4 year waiting period to become qualified for D1 post season. They are currently part of the ASun-WAC (United Athletic Conference) conference. Located in Stephenville about an hour southwest of Dallas Forth-Worth.

Sounds like a school with a ton of promise.

Also...

Doesn't really boost the old strength of schedule much in football and basketball.

I saw a report, can't remember where, that UTEP expects a 4 mil annual payout for making the jump.

That sounds about right to me, depending on who we add. And whoever we add will not make the pot bigger to share.

4.0 + the 1.6 or whatever we should be getting makes it about the same for us, but new comers and everyone by AFA looks to be taking a annual hit

I'm not a get offended easily guy but others on here might not appreciate that comment depending on what they have going on at home.
I actually have 2 special needs kids at home, one with level II ASD. I sometimes have a bad habit of blurting out the first thing that pops into my head, but you’re right. It wasn’t a very appropriate comment so I deleted it.

I actually have 2 special needs kids at home, one with level II ASD. I sometimes have a bad habit of blurting out the first thing that pops into my head, but you’re right. It wasn’t a very appropriate comment so I deleted it.

Wasn't trying to be an ass. Or call you out. Just a heads up.

Trust me I've deleted many a post on here for the same reason.

Imagine how bad those were considering the ridiculous nature of the ones I leave up.

• Haha
I do not, that guy Art did!
That’s so weird you are mentioning Art8, because 2 days ago I was trying to edit one of my posts from my phone and I noticed the edit option wasn’t available. So when I clicked on the little profile pic, I was logged in under Art8. I have no idea how that happened or who Art8 even is. I logged out and logged back in under my normal moniker, but that is weird

*They didnt want Pullman WA and Corvallis Oregon...much like your new league mates didnt want Laramie and Reno.

Las Vegas is a destination and has been talking to Big 12 officials dating back to 2011-2012 when the first on campus stadium conversations were being done. Theres a reason why we got the P4 out in the new agreement and its because we were talking to Big 12 officials and have been for some time. They moved their media days to Vegas...
Fair enough. Although the former Pac-12 had their FB title game in Vegas and the men's and Women's BB tourneys have been there for some time. And I believe our media days were there too.

Theres a reason why Hawaii isnt a full member and we dont want them to be full member...
Hawaii makes a ton of sense for UNLV of course. We’re not called the Ninth Island for nothing. If they’re FB only then the shouldn’t be a “full” MWC member (which I take it to mean getting a fully equal share of revenue) but I would still like them as a FB member for UNLV’s sake. Those games bring a lot of local $$ to the program.

Hawaii makes a ton of sense for UNLV of course. We’re not called the Ninth Island for nothing. If they’re FB only then the shouldn’t be a “full” MWC member (which I take it to mean getting a fully equal share of revenue) but I would still like them as a FB member for UNLV’s sake. Those games bring a lot of local $$ to the program.

They'll remain FB only. It's everything else that creates the problem. (Travel expense)

Fair enough. Although the former Pac-12 had their FB title game in Vegas and the men's and Women's BB tourneys have been there for some time. And I believe our media days were there too.

So hold on.

These fools didn't have that already figured out?

Did they actually go into all these negotiations with Memphis and Company potential numbers only?

Like no contingency plans? If Memphis and Co. are no but we add UNLV and USU this is where we are at?

If it's us 7 plus fill in the blank this is what it would be?

Maybe I'm reading this wrong but this sounds like there are some rumblings behind the scenes with the original four maybe not being happy with the direction this is going.

If that media deal slips down into the 6-8 million dollar range and now you promised Gonzaga a full share was all this crap even worth it?

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT