ADVERTISEMENT

Coaching search

Buffel

Starter
Apr 16, 2019
Is it time already to speculate on who might replace Sanchez next year? Is it too soon ? We may have to wait till end of season to find out who's available. Will a 70 year old Jim Fassel throw his name out there. Or will the A.D. really give Sanchez another year??

Is it time already to speculate on who might replace Sanchez next year? Is it too soon ? We may have to wait till end of season to find out who's available. Will a 70 year old Jim Fassel throw his name out there. Or will the A.D. really give Sanchez another year??

I'll wait until bowl hopes are officially ended to really start speculating on actual names...

No bowl, he should be out though. There aren't many compelling arguments to be made to retain him after a 5th losing season...

Maybe and this is a huge maybe and probably would be unpopular with most fans.. If they somehow finish strong and got to 5-7 with another win over Reno, they could try and sell it...But I doubt it. I think he has to get to 6 wins.

Last edited:
I believe they should wait until end of season to make the move. CTS is a standup guy, his brought money and attention to university, but obviously wasn’t the the guy that was going to put unlv football on the map. Also waiting until end of season gives us idea of who is out there...chip kelly, jim harbaugh, etc

Rutgers on the mid-season firing so they can be first in line to get a new coach. Sounds like their new coach might be their old coach - Schiano. Not a fan of the in-season firing. A program that would do that would probably screw up the headstart they got on the hiring process, anyway. Wait, didn't this happen somewhere before...?

I believe they should wait until end of season to make the move. CTS is a standup guy, his brought money and attention to university, but obviously wasn’t the the guy that was going to put unlv football on the map. Also waiting until end of season gives us idea of who is out there...chip kelly, jim harbaugh, etc
I think they should let the season play out too. But to think we could ever get a Chip Kelly or Jim Harbaugh is ridiculous. There is no way we could afford them and no way they would consider us. If we are going to play the who's next can we please at least mention names that are feasible.

Former Baylor HC Art Briles. I read somewhere he's currently coaching HS Football in Texas

I think they should let the season play out too. But to think we could ever get a Chip Kelly or Jim Harbaugh is ridiculous. There is no way we could afford them and no way they would consider us. If we are going to play the who's next can we please at least mention names that are feasible.
I feel like we will end up looking at guys like Hoke, which I actually don't have a problem with. Mixed success, but he'd be the first since JRob with D1 experience and knowledge of the MWC...

Reactions: bcvegaspt
Former Baylor HC Art Briles. I read somewhere he's currently coaching HS Football in Texas
I would, but this us UNLV, one of the most PC places on the planet. Soon we will be nicknamed the Butterflies, but not Monarch butterfly, we need all colors of the rainbow represented. And it will be a female butterfly. Can't leave anybody out.

Reactions: Emmagirl2

Hey, why not? The basketball guys get to have fun throwing around big names like Pitino and Matta. Let us dream big for a minute. Hell, I heard Urban Meyer is thinking about a return to coaching. He said he wouldn't consider Michigan but would he consider UNLV? <Sarcasm>

With the new practice facility and stadium, does anyone think a “big name” coach would come here for $3 million range? Yes, UNLV doesn’t have that kind of money, but taking the chance on a big name coach could bring thousands of new season ticket holders to pay the salary, what do you think?

With the new practice facility and stadium, does anyone think a “big name” coach would come here for $3 million range? Yes, UNLV doesn’t have that kind of money, but taking the chance on a big name coach could bring thousands of new season ticket holders to pay the salary, what do you think?
I'm in the same boat as I've been in for awhile, with basketball and football. Go big or go home. This isn't St. George or Cedar City. You want to win, you want success, you want a following, you are going to have to invest heavily. This is by money and this is by commitment to athletics.

You need to spend money on a strong athletic director and you need to spend money on head coaches. Yeah, it costs alot of money. But is it costing so much more than we've lost and what we should gain with those types of hires? To me there will be a solid ROI IF you do those things - not immediately, maybe, but long term.... We've stagnated with zero vision while everything else has rapidly grown.

Play ball or shut it the hell down. Decades of wasted time, IMO.

He should be fired regardless of his record at the end of the season. I'm tired of this puppet-state-for-a-rich-family-and-their-friend bullshit. Let's have a serious football program again with someone competent in charge.

No inside info.

I have a feeling if the season continues to unravel and a coaching change becomes inevitable it will look a lot like the Otz hiring.

I think it will have similar type candidates.
I think the AD will play it close to the vest.

There will be lots of rumors about potential big names. Some of the rumors will be founded on credible info others grasping at straws. Some pushed out to get a guys name out there.

But ultimately UNLV lands on a hire like Otz.

Young up and coming coordinator or current FCS HC..

And like Otz, a lot of the initial fan reaction will be negative. And over time people will warm up to it.

Could be way off here...Maybe there is some booster money that has been secured.

No inside info.

I have a feeling if the season continues to unravel and a coaching change becomes inevitable it will look a lot like the Otz hiring.

I think it will have similar type candidates.
I think the AD will play it close to the vest.

There will be lots of rumors about potential big names. Some of the rumors will be founded on credible info others grasping at straws. Some pushed out to get a guys name out there.

But ultimately UNLV lands on a hire like Otz.

Young up and coming coordinator or current FCS HC..

And like Otz, a lot of the initial fan reaction will be negative. And over time people will warm up to it.

Could be way off here...Maybe there is some booster money that has been secured.
My son and I were talking about this the other and we're hoping it's somewhat like this. I mean, a big name is okay but not likely, but a search that is played close to the vest would be fine with me. You don't need it turning into a search like Tennessee's. Then again, you'd need a passionate fan base for that.

Reactions: Bullmastiff 1
The guy I feel they should bring in is Weber State's Jay Hill

https://weberstatesports.com/coaches.aspx?rc=551&path=football
Other people think that too.

Some people think a no name will flop at the presser. Whether they do anything with the program has nothing to do with the presser, obviously.

But, unlike basketball, though I think a big name would excite the hell out of people, I don’t think a no name is going to piss off people either. It’s UNLV football, not basketball. That’s poor history, few fans, very low expectations and no pride vs rich history, far, far more fans, much higher (and unrealistic) expectations and pride (wounded).

My son and I were talking about this the other and we're hoping it's somewhat like this. I mean, a big name is okay but not likely, but a search that is played close to the vest would be fine with me. You don't need it turning into a search like Tennessee's. Then again, you'd need a passionate fan base for that.

Yep...

Other people think that too.

Some people think a no name will flop at the presser. Whether they do anything with the program has nothing to do with the presser, obviously.

But, unlike basketball, though I think a big name would excite the hell out of people, I don’t think a no name is going to piss off people either. It’s UNLV football, not basketball. That’s poor history, few fans, very low expectations and no pride vs rich history, far, far more fans, much higher (and unrealistic) expectations and pride (wounded).

I like the idea of Jay Hill. Likely obtainable and looks like he could be a steal that can build a program.

But you are right about a big name. Especially now. Opening up a brand new sexy stadium, knowing that the Fertitta complex comes with it, it starts to at least "feel " big time, and Vegas loves that.

Vegas fans want to part of something that feels important, or cool. Going big could really at least start with some momentum and make fans show up at least for a while.

Granted the coach has to win to sustain the fans, but a big name could at least give us a bit of a home field advantage.

The equivalent of a J Rob again (not sure who that would be) would be great right now. He would win the press conference, build excitement, etc.

Honestly, I do feel kind of bad for Tony, though. I mean, look...he just doesn't have the bonafides to cut it as a head coach. However, he DID facilitate the funds for a brand new, state-of-the-art practice facility that most here thought would never happen at UNLV.

Now...he gets to watch another coach reap the benefits (hopefully) of all his leg-work.

It is what it is but you wouldn't be human if you didn't feel bad for the guy.

Honestly, I do feel kind of bad for Tony, though. I mean, look...he just doesn't have the bonafides to cut it as a head coach. However, he DID facilitate the funds for a brand new, state-of-the-art practice facility that most here thought would never happen at UNLV.

Now...he gets to watch another coach reap the benefits (hopefully) of all his leg-work.

It is what it is but you wouldn't be human if you didn't feel bad for the guy.
If a guy gives his all, lives and breathes it, yeah, I feel for them.

If they come here to retire or rob us, I get pissed off.

I don’t even “mind” if they use us as a stepping stone, as long as they improved our situation.

If a guy gives his all, lives and breathes it, yeah, I feel for them.

If they come here to retire or rob us, I get pissed off.

I don’t even “mind” if they use us as a stepping stone, as long as they improved our situation.

Are you insane...

Do you know how awful it would be if a coach came in here and did so well he was hired away for a bigger job..

All that buyout money!

Who the hell wants that?

Last edited:
Are you insane...

Do you know how awful it would be if a coach came in here and did so well he was hired away for a bigger job..

Who the hell wants that?
Rarified air, huh?

In the 30 years I’ve been watching, it’s happened once (Kruger) with the two major programs.

Never happened any other time with hoops, IIRC.

Football .... Meyer to SMU in the mid 70’s?

Any others in UNLV history?

Are you insane...

All that buyout money!

Who the hell wants that?

Lon Kruger and any coach that's had success at UNR?

Rarified air, huh?

In the 30 years I’ve been watching, it’s happened once (Kruger) with the two major programs.

Never happened any other time with hoops, IIRC.

Football .... Meyer to SMU in the mid 70’s?

Any others in UNLV history?

I can't think of any...

Some assistants have left and had solid careers...

Is Jay Hill another Bobby Hauck?

FCS coach.

But that doesn't mean he would be another Hauck.

I wouldn't read to much into his or any other names that start to pop up.

If a coaching change needs to be made and AD follows same pattern as with basketball hire, he would check some similar boxes as Otz.

Beyond that...Purely speculation and potential names getting thrown out there..

Any really successful FCS head coach can coach, manage his assistants and develop players.

The question is can he recruit the athletes needed for success - and you don't know that till it happens.

I think the new coach should have good recruiting ties out West.. I say that because a lot of the strong FCS schools are down South and East and anyone hired should have good recruiting ties either themselves or assistants to the West coast.

i still think there is a stigma related to UNLV and Las Vegas due to all that goes on in Vegas and some parents won't feel comfortable with their kids in Vegas. So if a coach is a Midwest guy or East Coast guy they need to have ties out West for recruiting!

I think the new coach should have good recruiting ties out West.. I say that because a lot of the strong FCS schools are down South and East and anyone hired should have good recruiting ties either themselves or assistants to the West coast.

i still think there is a stigma related to UNLV and Las Vegas due to all that goes on in Vegas and some parents won't feel comfortable with their kids in Vegas. So if a coach is a Midwest guy or East Coast guy they need to have ties out West for recruiting!

You're right..

I think that stigma will always be there to some degree.

As crazy as this sounds, I haven't given up on the season..

I don't want to speculate on actual coaching changes in terms of names unless there is a 7 in the loss column.

Is the season trending that way..Yeah...

But I don't ever leave games early regardless of the score because I have this irrational belief my loyalty will be rewarded someday...

Same type of thing here..

Coach Sanchez has 8 games to figure things out.

He has to go 5-3 the rest of the way.

They've dug a huge hole for themselves.

There are a number serious red flags popping up. Namely at QB and on the defensive side of the ball, where there appears to be little if any improvement.

But, there are still at least four 'winnable' games left.

Reno: Has come back down to earth.

Hawaii: The home team usually has an edge in this series.

CSU: Despite being a typically tough place for the Rebs, they have some serious issues of their own and a coach who is also on the hot seat.

SJSU: Arkansas win aside UNLV should be able to compete with them.

Winning all 4 would still leave the Rebs one short. Meaning they would have to steal one of the next four. Tall task for sure..

With each loss more and more names will start to pile up.

The noise will grow.

Rumors will start about mystery boosters etc.

That's why I try to remember to preface this stuff with 'If' a coaching change is made or needed at the end of the year.

I think Desiree has already shown the blue print of what type of coach she is targeting with the Otz hire.

I do think you are right however. They will probably need some type West Coast connection.

Its frustrating we are only a quarter of the way through the season and its beggining to feel like an inevitability.

Reactions: rebel5280

I think the stigma has lessened over the years, but it's still there.

But I also feel like the distraction of such a versatile city as Vegas can hurt, too. It's not the "same" everywhere else. Sometimes I think it's tougher to keep the ship tight.

UNLV has never had decent facilities in the past. They now have new training facilities that are the best in the MWC and a new stadium that opens next year that is as nice as any other college game day experience in the country. The big question will be how they use the payoff money UNLV will receive of up to $3.5 million a year for 10 years from the revenue loss when making the move to the new stadium. If UNLV wants to get a higher level coach, that has the ability to move UNLV to the next level in football, they will most likely need to spend north of $2 million per year for the new coach!

UNLV has never had decent facilities in the past. They now have new training facilities that are the best in the MWC and a new stadium that opens next year that is as nice as any other college game day experience in the country. The big question will be how they use the payoff money UNLV will receive of up to $3.5 million a year for 10 years from the revenue loss when making the move to the new stadium. If UNLV wants to get a higher level coach, that has the ability to move UNLV to the next level in football, they will most likely need to spend north of $2 million per year for the new coach!
Plus add extra $$ for upgraded assistants.

It could happen, but I'm skeptical that if/when push comes to shove UNLV would be willing to go much north of 1 million per..

They don't need to spend 2 million per to secure good coaching though. There are a number of solid coaches under that mark.

Rocky Long is at a little over 800k at SDSU.

I would gladly take Rocky Long at 800k...

Wyoming coach gets $1.4 million/year
Fresno State $1.55 million/year
BSU $1.65 million/year
CSU $1.8 million/year

SMU just flipped their program $2 million/year
Memphis $2.6 million/year
Cinn $2 million/year
Temple $2 million/year

If UNLV goes and pays around $1 million a year, we will be firing a coach again in 4-5 years.

Wyoming coach gets $1.4 million/year
Fresno State $1.55 million/year
BSU $1.65 million/year
CSU $1.8 million/year

SMU just flipped their program $2 million/year
Memphis $2.6 million/year
Cinn $2 million/year
Temple $2 million/year

If UNLV goes and pays around $1 million a year, we will be firing a coach again in 4-5 years.

Rocky Long is making 800k year. I'd gladly take the results he has had.

For every success story about paying coaches big money you have equally bad ones like Charlie Weiss...

Another example would be Mike Bobo who's salary you posted. Bobo is very much on the hot seat and is 25-31 overall.. You think CSU feels like they are getting value there. Or a good return on investment? They also just opened up a new stadium and facilities.

I'd be interested to hear names of coaches you believe UNLV could realistically lure here that would be considered home run hires..

Last edited:
He has to go 5-3 the rest of the way.

But, there are still at least four 'winnable' games left.

Reno: Has come back down to earth.

Hawaii: The home team usually has an edge in this series.

CSU: Despite being a typically tough place for the Rebs, they have some serious issues of their own and a coach who is also on the hot seat.

SJSU: Arkansas win aside UNLV should be able to compete with them.

Winning all 4 would still leave the Rebs one short. Meaning they would have to steal one of the next four. Tall task for sure..

This past weekend Hawaii went to Reno and showed that they're no joke on the mainland this season by stomping the Pack 54-3.

Meanwhile, UNLV didn't show any reason to believe that the Rebels' 12 game losing streak on trips to the Laramie/Fort Collins area will come to an end when we travel there a month from now. Yes, CSU is struggling, but Fort Collins is still over 5000 feet elevation and Caleb Herring was talking about how gassed a lot of our guys were in Laramie (granted, Laramie is over 7000).

According to the current Massey composite numbers, UNLV is expected to get 1.95 more wins this season, and the best opportunities are SJSU and CSU:

Sat 10-05 Boise St 22 (4-0) 8 % 20 41
Sat 10-12 at Vanderbilt 79 (1-3) 17 % 27 41
Fri 10-18 at Fresno St 47 (2-2) 5 % 17 42
Sat 10-26 San Diego St 61 (3-1) 21 % 17 28
Sat 11-02 at Colorado St 114 (1-4) 37 % 35 39
Sat 11-16 Hawaii 62 (4-1) 29 % 31 38
Sat 11-23 San Jose St 106 (2-2) 54 % 35 33
Sat 11-30 at Nevada 82 (3-2) 24 % 28 38

The numbers suggest UNLV will go 1-1 against SJSU and CSU, and 1-5 against the rest of our remaining opponents.

From what I've seen so far I just don't believe this team is going to be the one that snaps the 12-game streak. And mathematically, for a team expected to go 2-6 the rest of the way to go 5-3 is a true long shot.

As for UNR, they have looked ugly but they have 3 wins and Massey projects they'll get 3 more.

Last edited:
This past weekend Hawaii went to Reno and showed that they're no joke on the mainland this season by stomping the Pack 54-3.

Meanwhile, UNLV didn't show any reason to believe that the Rebels' 12 game losing streak on trips to the Laramie/Fort Collins area will come to an end when we travel there a month from now. Yes, CSU is struggling, but Fort Collins is still over 5000 feet elevation and Caleb Herring was talking about how gassed a lot of our guys were in Laramie (granted, Laramie is over 7000).

According to the current Massey composite numbers, UNLV is expected to get 1.95 more wins this season, and the best opportunities are SJSU and CSU:

Sat 10-05 Boise St 22 (4-0) 8 % 20 41
Sat 10-12 at Vanderbilt 79 (1-3) 17 % 27 41
Fri 10-18 at Fresno St 47 (2-2) 5 % 17 42
Sat 10-26 San Diego St 61 (3-1) 21 % 17 28
Sat 11-02 at Colorado St 114 (1-4) 37 % 35 39
Sat 11-16 Hawaii 62 (4-1) 29 % 31 38
Sat 11-23 San Jose St 106 (2-2) 54 % 35 33
Sat 11-30 at Nevada 82 (3-2) 24 % 28 38

The numbers suggest UNLV will go 1-1 against SJSU and CSU, and 1-5 against the rest of our remaining opponents.

From what I've seen so far I just don't believe this team is going to be the one that snaps the 12-game streak. And mathematically, for a team expected to go 2-6 the rest of the way to go 5-3 is a true long shot.

I'm trying to remain positive here man! I'm trying to bring a little hope!

Honestly I thought they could get to 5 wins this year..

Its completely possible we may only see 1-2 more wins the rest of the way.

I use the term 'winnable' in reference to games that I think UNLV should be competitive.

Not to suggest UNLV should win..

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT