ADVERTISEMENT

Coaching search

Any really successful FCS head coach can coach, manage his assistants and develop players.

The question is can he recruit the athletes needed for success - and you don't know that till it happens.
Everybody, understandably, focuses on HC possibilities but, in two sentences, you captured the other things that have been on my mind with the seemingly inevitable regime change.

Assistants - Getting and retaining quality assistants, particularly the coordinators, is huge. There MUST be a good pool available for assistant pay.

Develop - This goes hand in hand with assistants. A quality S&C coach is vital. I thought we were really building some momentum with Belton. When he left for USC we lost that and, it seems, we've slipped back. There's more than one reason our defenders can't catch guys or can't bring them down, but herein lies a biggie. They're not physically prepared.

Recruit - You can hire the world's finest gem cutter, but if you supply him with basalt, you still end up with just a bunch of rocks.

Everybody, understandably, focuses on HC possibilities but, in two sentences, you captured the other things that have been on my mind with the seemingly inevitable regime change.

Assistants - Getting and retaining quality assistants, particularly the coordinators, is huge. There MUST be a good pool available for assistant pay.

Develop - This goes hand in hand with assistants. A quality S&C coach is vital. I thought we were really building some momentum with Belton. When he left for USC we lost that and, it seems, we've slipped back. There's more than one reason our defenders can't catch guys or can't bring them down, but herein lies a biggie. They're not physically prepared.

Recruit - You can hire the world's finest gem cutter, but if you supply him with basalt, you still end up with just a bunch of rocks.

The last thing about recruiting leads to a question.

We've seen stories written..

'Best recruiting class in UNLV history'
'Highest rated recruit in UNLV history'
'Highest rated JUCO ever recruited by UNLV'

If all that is true, (based on rankings it is) isn't it further condemnation of this staff, and how poorly this team is being prepared or coached?

If your talent is better then you would think the results would reflect that.

Agree 100% on money for assistants.

But I don't think the assistants chosen have been all that poor. At least based on resumes they seemed like solid hires.

Then again results suggest they were bad choices..

Last edited:
It could happen, but I'm skeptical that if/when push comes to shove UNLV would be willing to go much north of 1 million per..

They don't need to spend 2 million per to secure good coaching though. There are a number of solid coaches under that mark.

Rocky Long is at a little over 800k at SDSU.

I would gladly take Rocky Long at 800k...

Rock Long was making 800k when SDSU first hired him back in 2011. He's consistently turned down raises because he believes he's fairly compensated and he'd rather have SDSU spend more money on his assistant coaches. Of course we'd gladly take a Rocky Long but he's the exception in this day and age. There really aren't many good FBS coaches making 800k. If we're going to make a cheap hire again then that means we're going the same route as the last 3 failures. Hot Coordinator (Sanford), Successful FCS Coach (Hauck), HS Coach (Sanchez). The next UNLV hire should be north of 1 million and he should be someone with recent success at the FBS level. We can't afford to screw this one up.

Reactions: j. spilotro
Rock Long was making 800k when SDSU first hired him back in 2011. He's consistently turned down raises because he believes he's fairly compensated and he'd rather have SDSU spend more money on his assistant coaches. Of course we'd gladly take a Rocky Long but he's the exception in this day and age. There really aren't many good FBS coaches making 800k. If we're going to make a cheap hire again then that means we're going the same route as the last 3 failures. Hot Coordinator (Sanford), Successful FCS Coach (Hauck), HS Coach (Sanchez). The next UNLV hire should be north of 1 million and he should be someone with recent success at the FBS level. We can't afford to screw this one up.

Correct about Long...

Ok...

Name some folks you feel would take the job....

I think Sanchez is out after this year if he fails to make a bowl.

He should be. I was of the opinion he probably should have been bounced after last year.

Anyway, there is a lot of talk about how much money UNLV needs to spend but no talk of names.

Do you or anyone here believe UNLV could lure a current P5 coach here?

My guess is no...So lets cross those guys off..

That leaves current G5 coaches. We have 2 million at our disposal. Who can we get to come here? Lane Kiffen at FAU? She has worked with him in the past I believe.

But wouldn't any up and coming G5 coach be on P5 schools radars as well. Could UNLV win a bidding war? Maybe but unlikely. Also If they are doing well where they are at, why leave? Even with a pay increase to come to UNLV, wouldn't it seem smarter to wait it out for a P5 job vs what would be at best a lateral move to UNLV?

I'm not against UNLV going out and spending money. I encourage it. But its not as easy as 'Here's 2 million dollars be our coach', and somehow this would assure good results. Even at two million per, what coaches would view UNLV as a step up?

Maybe Desiree shocks everybody and makes a splash hire. Who knows...

Would Mora be a splash hire? There was a lot of noise surrounding his name last year...

Would you want Mora to be the HC here at 2 million per? Is there value there?

I don't know...

I think UNLV is still going to be limited to FCS coaches, coordinators, retreads like Brady Hoke or guys that need a redemption tour.

Last edited:
What about Greg Schiano? He turned around Rutgers at the time probably the worst D1 Football program in the country.

What about Greg Schiano? He turned around Rutgers at the time probably the worst D1 Football program in the country.

Man....

I'm not against it...

But I wonder with the Penn State stuff if UNLV would go that route...

Tennessee has all the money in the world to deal with bad PR, and they buckled under pressure.

Last edited:
Correct about Long...

Ok...

Name some folks you feel would take the job....

I think Sanchez is out after this year if he fails to make a bowl.

He should be. I was of the opinion he probably should have been bounced after last year.

Anyway, there is a lot of talk about how much money UNLV needs to spend but no talk of names.

Do you or anyone here believe UNLV could lure a current P5 coach here?

My guess is no...So lets cross those guys off..

That leaves current G5 coaches. We have 2 million at our disposal. Who can we get to come here? Lane Kiffen at FAU? She has worked with him in the past I believe.

But wouldn't any up and coming G5 coach be on P5 schools radars as well. Could UNLV win a bidding war? Maybe but unlikely. Also If they are doing well where they are at, why leave? Even with a pay increase to come to UNLV, wouldn't it seem smarter to wait it out for a P5 job vs what would be at best a lateral move to UNLV?

I'm not against UNLV going out and spending money. I encourage it. But its not as easy as 'Here's 2 million dollars be our coach', and somehow this would assure good results. Even at two million per, what coaches would view UNLV as a step up?

Maybe Desiree shocks everybody and makes a splash hire. Who knows...

Would Mora be a splash hire? There was a lot of noise surrounding his name last year...

Would you want Mora to be the HC here at 2 million per? Is there value there?

I don't know...

I think UNLV is still going to be limited to FCS coaches, coordinators, retreads like Brady Hoke or guys that need a redemption tour.

No- I know we're not getting a current P5 coach here. I honestly don't even think we're willing to spend enough to lure a successful coach from one of the lower G5's (SBC, CUSA, MAC). I like what some of the AAC teams have done like Temple willing to spend the money to get Rod Carey out of NIU and Tulane getting Willie Fritz from Georgia Southern.

I think you're right, our options are limited to the "FCS coaches, coordinators, and retreads" you said. I personally think "retreads" are the best option for UNLV. Specifically successful guys with west coast ties that got fired from P5's.

Mora is definitely on my list. He won a lot of games at UCLA and as you can tell from Neuheisel before him and now Chip Kelly after him, UCLA isn't the easiest place to win big. 5 bowl games in 6 seasons, multiple 10 win seasons. His name isn't sexy enough to be that big flashy hire but I think he'd build a winner here.

Rich Rod is actually the guy I'd like to see. He has some baggage but people have affairs. It's not like he's Art Briles covering up rapes. He had success in Tuscon (5 bowl games in 6 seasons) not to mention Morgantown. I think his name and an exciting brand of offense would create some buzz locally and help sell some tickets too. He's making $900k as the OC at Ole Miss right now so I'm sure we'd have to pay over a million but maybe not a lot more.

No- I know we're not getting a current P5 coach here. I honestly don't even think we're willing to spend enough to lure a successful coach from one of the lower G5's (SBC, CUSA, MAC). I like what some of the AAC teams have done like Temple willing to spend the money to get Rod Carey out of NIU and Tulane getting Willie Fritz from Georgia Southern.

I think you're right, our options are limited to the "FCS coaches, coordinators, and retreads" you said. I personally think "retreads" are the best option for UNLV. Specifically successful guys with west coast ties that got fired from P5's.

Mora is definitely on my list. He won a lot of games at UCLA and as you can tell from Neuheisel before him and now Chip Kelly after him, UCLA isn't the easiest place to win big. 5 bowl games in 6 seasons, multiple 10 win seasons. His name isn't sexy enough to be that big flashy hire but I think he'd build a winner here.

Rich Rod is actually the guy I'd like to see. He has some baggage but people have affairs. It's not like he's Art Briles covering up rapes. He had success in Tuscon (5 bowl games in 6 seasons) not to mention Morgantown. I think his name and an exciting brand of offense would create some buzz locally and help sell some tickets too. He's making $900k as the OC at Ole Miss right now so I'm sure we'd have to pay over a million but maybe not a lot more.

Exactly.

Text can be tough to decipher tone. Glad you recognized I wasn't trying to be combatitive.

I just think people tend to underestimate how far down the proverbial food chain we are despite two decades of ineptitude.

Throwing two million per at any coach is a huge investment/gamble for UNLV.

A guy like Rodriguez would be worth the gamble. But I'm skeptical he would take or be offered the job...

If/when UNLV gets eliminated from bowl contention there are some current coaches and coordinators who's names I think will start popping up.

Exactly.

Text can be tough to decipher tone. Glad you recognized I wasn't trying to be combatitive.

I just think people tend to underestimate how far down the proverbial food chain we are despite two decades of ineptitude.

A guy like Rodriguez would be worth the gamble. But I'm skeptical he would take or be offered the job...

If/when UNLV gets eliminated from bowl contention there are some current coaches and coordinators who's names I think will start popping up.

Big hypothetical here. DRF keeps CTS on the condition that she brings in our next 2 coordinators who are responsible for game planning, personnel, and play calling. Let CTS run practices, recruit and be the dude with the headset on game day.

Sanchez obviously brings energy and improved recruiting but wondering whether or not he has the right peeps around him to make it work. I love his enthusiasm for The Rebels & Las Vegas.

Probably a bad idea but we have tried everything but bringing in top flight coordinators to be coordinators. Dont know that we have the $$$ for a big name coach and good coordinators. Maybe the Fertitta’s will pony up a little extra to keep their man on the job.

Exactly.

Oh yeah, we are way down that food chain. That's why I could get behind a Rich Rod hire. Mora, as well. They've had success at the FBS level, but not most recently in their respective tenures, hence their dismissals. I'd been pushing for Entz at NDSU, but he's more like Hauck than I thought, having taken over a championship level FCS program rather than building one.

Oh yeah, we are way down that food chain. That's why I could get behind a Rich Rod hire. Mora, as well. They've had success at the FBS level, but not most recently in their respective tenures, hence their dismissals. I'd been pushing for Entz at NDSU, but he's more like Hauck than I thought, having taken over a championship level FCS program rather than building one.

Agree on all of this...

Would she go that route though?

Don't know...

Big hypothetical here. DRF keeps CTS on the condition that she brings in our next 2 coordinators who are responsible for game planning, personnel, and play calling. Let CTS run practices, recruit and be the dude with the headset on game day.

Sanchez obviously brings energy and improved recruiting but wondering whether or not he has the right peeps around him to make it work. I love his enthusiasm for The Rebels & Las Vegas.

Probably a bad idea but we have tried everything but bringing in top flight coordinators to be coordinators. Dont know that we have the $$$ for a big name coach and good coordinators. Maybe the Fertitta’s will pony up a little extra to keep their man on the job.

You would basically have a figurehead as your head coach. I'd rather just hire a new coach and if possible the money to upgrade the staff.

I feel the same way about Sanchez as any other coach.

Win games.

If they happen to be engaging or likeable that's great. Cherry on top.

But give me winning and crappy at press conferences guy over losing but really charismatic guy.

I said before..The SDSU and Reno wins covered up a few warts at the end of last year.

We are seeing the same issues all over again this year.

It appears little if anything has changed since last year. In fact on top of the defense not gaining any ground, the offense aside from Chuck is performing worse.

Honest question Pete..

I've heard people say 'He's really changed the culture'...My question is, from what to what? What's all that different?

'He's embraced the city'..Great. But its more important the city embraces the team. And until they win that isn't going to happen.

Call me crazy but if Michigan lets harbaugh go, he may be an option. I know he will have other offers but hear me out he started at what San Diego not state but the lower level one. He wanted to build his name and reputation up. What better way to build your name and reputation than taking over one of the historically worst programs in college football and turning them around. We have all the new shiny stuff also.

Call me crazy but if Michigan lets harbaugh go, he may be an option. I know he will have other offers but hear me out he started at what San Diego not state but the lower level one. He wanted to build his name and reputation up. What better way to build your name and reputation than taking over one of the historically worst programs in college football and turning them around. We have all the new shiny stuff also.

I think he'll sit for a year or two as an analyst.

Last edited:

It wasn't the affair itself that burned Rodriguez, it was the rest of his creepy behavior.

I don't see him getting hired by a female AD, or in a state where the Board Of Regents are waiting in the wings to make a spectacle of someone with a history like his becoming a state employee.

It wasn't the affair itself that burned Rodriguez, it was the rest of his creepy behavior.

I don't see him getting hired by a female AD, or in a state where the Board Of Regents are waiting in the wings to make a spectacle of someone with a history like his becoming a state employee.

I thought the regents were non existant in these decisions now?

Agree though on Rich Rodriguez being problematic.

Last edited:

If Harbaugh is let go by Michigan after this season he will still be owed a $15M buyout, and that is a lot less than he has already earned on his $7M/year salary at Michigan and time in the NFL. He will not be looking for G5 rebuild project that could endanger his buyout settlement.

This thread made me laugh. Just imagine Coach Sanchez during a bye somehow wonders and types UNLV Football message board. First thread he see is “Coaching Search”. Lol

Reactions: Bullmastiff 1
This thread made me laugh. Just imagine Coach Sanchez during a bye somehow wonders and types UNLV Football message board. First thread he see is “Coaching Search”. Lol

Week 4 makes it more sad.

But honestly has anybody seen anything encouraging or that points to him being able to get this thing back on track?

All we can do is hope he does. I'd much rather he get to six wins and have egg on the face vs another losing season.

Week 4 makes it more sad.

But honestly has anybody seen anything encouraging or that points to him being able to get this thing back on track?

All we can do is hope he does. I'd much rather he get to six wins and have egg on the face vs another losing season.

honest question...

What if he gets to 6 wins still, and likely no bowl. Would even that be enough?

I guess if we got to 6 wins at this point, it would likely involve some exciting upsets, but maybe?

But the promise would still be a reminder of the disappointment.

Again all of this is most likely moot.

I thought the regents were non existant in these decisions now?

Agree though on Rich Rodriguez being problematic.

The regents built in a few "speak now or forever hold your peace", like when they annually review the budgets and hires and hold the presidents and ADs accountable.

Also the regents have a Title IX committee, and Rich Rod's history of sexual harassment accusations is a definite Title IX "concern".

honest question...

I guess if we got to 6 wins at this point, it would likely involve some exciting upsets, but maybe?

6 wins and he should stay, but 6 wins still may not mean a bowl now that our computer ranking is in the bottom 5 in the country - even if we get to 6 wins we will most likely be the lowest ranked bowl qualified team.

But I think most of us here agree that 6 wins is now highly improbable.

The severity of the losses is a concern, as is the inability to be competitive in a lot of games. With Menzies I think that was a huge factor - how the basketball team failed to perform and was destroyed by teams like Bucknell. Some are looking at the 1-3 record and thinking "one game below .500", but most of us are seeing 0-3 against FBS teams and losing by an average of 26 points, while our toughest opponents are in the next five games.

We need to follow DRF's son on twitter so that we can get some real insight into who she's pursuing.

I'm joking and don't harass her son. She stated that she had to shut down his social media during the basketball search since he was very enthusiastic about discussing certain things. I know for sure that being the child of an AD, no matter if that AD is liked or hated, is very difficult.

The regents built in a few "speak now or forever hold your peace", like when they annually review the budgets and hires and hold the presidents and ADs accountable.

Also the regents have a Title IX committee, and Rich Rod's history of sexual harassment accusations is a definite Title IX "concern".
Too bad Mr. Rogers died awhile back. We could have paid in 3M per year and had him head coach every sport. He’s never uttered a curse word, he loves youth, loves teaching, likes things done the right way, he’s clean cut and well liked. He’d check every box for UNLV athletics.

And the student section could be renamed “The Neighborhood”.

Reactions: bcvegaspt

I've been a CTS supporter but this thread is his own doing. This year was bowl or bust. We were outscored 96-34 in 2 of the "toss up" type games that were must win if we were going bowling. I think the fans have a reason to be upset.

The season isn't over but now they need to pull multiple big upsets to turn it around. I'll admit the Rebels have been good for 1 nice upset a year under CTS. Let's see if he can get anything going in the next 3 weeks with Boise State, @Vandy, @Fresno happening in a 20 day span.

honest question...

To get to six the most likely wins are...

SUU
HAWAII
CSU
RENO
SJSU

And for sake of argument

SDSU?

Not a bad resume, but if its an either or situation between UNLV and somebody like Air Force, the Falcons probably get the nod..

If he got to 6-6 but no bowl invite, its not enough in my opinion.

There are just way to many second half collapses. To many lopsided losses. To many games where they simply aren't competitive.

We saw a mini-run to end last year. Everybody got hyped about Reno/SDSU and for some reason a loss to Hawaii was considered 'growth' by some folks, which I don't understand...

And yet you see the same issues this year. Nothing looks to have improved. Defense is statistically worse. Offense is statistically worse.

Another hypothetical. Lets say they get to 6-6 make a bowl but lose? You still finish the year with a losing record. Keep him?

Reactions: dcut03

I don't think Rodriguez is/was a realistic name to begin with.

His off field stuff is problematic to say the least...

A guy like him needing a redemption tour maybe, but not necessarily him.

6 wins and he should stay, but 6 wins still may not mean a bowl now that our computer ranking is in the bottom 5 in the country - even if we get to 6 wins we will most likely be the lowest ranked bowl qualified team.

But I think most of us here agree that 6 wins is now highly improbable.

The severity of the losses is a concern, as is the inability to be competitive in a lot of games. With Menzies I think that was a huge factor - how the basketball team failed to perform and was destroyed by teams like Bucknell. Some are looking at the 1-3 record and thinking "one game below .500", but most of us are seeing 0-3 against FBS teams and losing by an average of 26 points, while our toughest opponents are in the next five games.

Why should he stay if there is no bowl?

If there is no bowl, what was really accomplished?

6-6 is mediocre. Good by UNLV standards sure. But thats the problem. The willingness of UNLV to tread water in Lake Mediocrity..

(Caveat would be a win over Boise State, but in that scenario they likely get an invite with a win over a top 25 program).

6-6 finish will do nothing to generate any excitement or put butts in seats heading into the new stadium.

Add into that..

As bad as the Sanford era was, never making a bowl, he had two P5 wins and beat a ranked (At the time) ASU team on the road.

As bad as the Hauck era was, he made a bowl. He didn't have a win over a team with a winning record but he reached 7 wins. He won enough games to see post season play.

Sanchez has zero P5 wins.
He has yet to make a bowl. (Still a chance)

Personally I can't see any viable arguments that he should be retained without making a bowl.

Even if he got to 6-6 this season, he would have 22 wins. 6 more than Sanford over 5 years. 9 more than Hauck.

We're talking about essentially an avg of 1 more win per year than Sanford.

Last edited:
Reactions: dcut03
Why should he stay if there is no bowl?

If there is no bowl, what was really accomplished?

6-6 is mediocre. Good by UNLV standards sure. But thats the problem. The willingness of UNLV to tread water in Lake Mead-iocrity..

(Caveat would be a win over Boise State, but in that scenario they likely get an invite with a win over a top 25 program).

6-6 finish will do nothing to generate any excitement or put butts in seats heading into the new stadium.

Fixed it for you

I don't think Rodriguez is/was a realistic name to begin with.

His off field stuff is problematic to say the least...

A guy like him needing a redemption tour maybe, but not necessarily him.

I just threw his name out there as the type of hire I'd like to see. It doesn't need to be a flashy name but I do think that would help hype up the Rebels as they move into Allegiant Stadium. I just want a guy that's already proven he can win at the highest level. Somebody who could win 6-9 games a year. Have the Rebels bowling every season and a possible contender in the MWC-West Division. So no on Rich Rod- but there is another good coach out there in the Arizona desert waiting for the right job (Todd Graham). Somebody out there can turn UNLV football around. I wanted it to be CTS but my faith in him has faded.

I just threw his name out there as the type of hire I'd like to see. It doesn't need to be a flashy name but I do think that would help hype up the Rebels as they move into Allegiant Stadium. I just want a guy that's already proven he can win at the highest level. Somebody who could win 6-9 games a year. Have the Rebels bowling every season and a possible contender in the MWC-West Division. So no on Rich Rod- but there is another good coach out there in the Arizona desert waiting for the right job (Todd Graham). Somebody out there can turn UNLV football around. I wanted it to be CTS but my faith in him has faded.

I understood that.

You're right, a redemption type guy 'like' Rich Rodriguez, not necessarily him, might be an option or route the AD decides to go..

It will depend on how much and what type of baggage comes along.

We all know why Sanchez was hired. I defended it when he was hired. It was a necessary gamble.

I thought that he was on a good trajectory heading into last year.

But it leveled out and actually got worse. The things that were problematic in years 1-3 continued to be problematic.

I never want to see any coach fail. Its rooting against my own interest.

I'd rather be wrong about a hire and they win, vs be right and watch my team struggle.

For some perspective of what UNLV is up against and how hard it is to make a 'splash' hire or even lure top assistants away from P5 jobs to take the head coaching job here...

Alex Grinch the DC at OU makes around 1.4 million.

That would make him one of the highest paid coaches in the MWC.

Guys like this might be more inclined to wait it out for a P5 job to open or a higher end G5 job.

Just to take a look at G5 hires last winter for comparison... these were the six main G5 hires, and notice that they ALL had local/regional connections to where they were hired:

Replacing successful coaches:

Appalachian State (lost coach to Louisville)
- Eli Drinkwitz OC at N.C. State (App St is also in NC)

Troy (lost coach to West Virginia)
- Chip Lindsey OC at Auburn (which is also in Alabama). Lindsey is an Alabama native who played football at North Alabama

Utah State (lost coach to Texas Tech)
- Gary Andersen, Utah assistant, former Wisconsin and Oregon St HC, Utah State HC 2009-2012, a Utah native from Salt Lake City

Replacing fired coaches:

East Carolina (fired coach after three 3-win seasons)
- Mike Houston: North Carolina native, HC at James Madison

Houston (fired coach following 8-win season)
- Dana Holgorsen HC at West Virginia, but on thin ice. Holgerson became highest paid AAC coach, was previously OC at Houston and lots of Texas connections.

Central Michigan (fired coach after going 1-11 in 4th season after making bowls each of his first 3 seasons)
- Jim McElwain, former CSU and Florida HC, Michigan roots (played at Mich St, was assistant at Michigan last season)

Looking at these 6 hires:
  • Anderson and Holgorson would have been the "splash" hires, but both were returning home and Houston was paying top dollar.
  • Jim McElwain would have been the best fit for UNLV, with MWC success (and most likely he would have kept UNLV DC Tim Skipper, his former assistant at CSU and Florida).
  • As I mentioned before, all the hires had local/regional history with where they were hired.
I would keep an eye on McElwain, who has already doubled CMU's win total from last season. As one of the lowest paid FBS coaches his contract could be bought out even though he would still have four more years on it. McElwain was 14-10 in MWC games and 16-8 in SEC games.

Last edited:
Just to take a look at G5 hires last winter for comparison... these were the six main G5 hires, and notice that they ALL had local/regional connections to where they were hired:

Replacing successful coaches:

Appalachian State (lost coach to Louisville)
- Eli Drinkwitz OC at N.C. State (App St is also in NC)

Troy (lost coach to West Virginia)
- Chip Lindsey OC at Auburn (which is also in Alabama). Lindsey is an Alabama native who played football at North

It makes sense.

Football recruiting is typically more regional than say basketball. Most staffs will have some pipelines out of their region. But majority of recruiting will be within a region.

If Sanchez is unable to get to the six win total it seems likely that UNLV would look close to home or for a coach with some ties to the conference or West coast..

I don't disagree, but hasn't Sanchez been the most "regional" coach in UNLV history?

To get to six the most likely wins are...

SUU
HAWAII
CSU
RENO
SJSU

And for sake of argument

SDSU?

Not a bad resume, but if its an either or situation between UNLV and somebody like Air Force, the Falcons probably get the nod..

If he got to 6-6 but no bowl invite, its not enough in my opinion.

There are just way to many second half collapses. To many lopsided losses. To many games where they simply aren't competitive.

We saw a mini-run to end last year. Everybody got hyped about Reno/SDSU and for some reason a loss to Hawaii was considered 'growth' by some folks, which I don't understand...

And yet you see the same issues this year. Nothing looks to have improved. Defense is statistically worse. Offense is statistically worse.

Another hypothetical. Lets say they get to 6-6 make a bowl but lose? You still finish the year with a losing record. Keep him?
If he gets to 6-6 we go bowling because we would be riding a hot streak coming into bowl season winning 5 out of our last 6 games

Coach McElwain could get it done here! He did pretty well at CSU and Ft. Collins is a unique place to recruit to and he was making progress there before heading to Florida!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT