ADVERTISEMENT

Coaching search

If he gets to 6-6 we go bowling because we would be riding a hot streak coming into bowl season winning 5 out of our last 6 games

Not necessarily.

I already laid it out...

MWC has 6 bowl invites/ties.

Fair to assume...

BOISE
SDSU
USU
FRESNO
WYOMING
HAWAII

Are all going bowling. Air Force will likely get to six.

Even if Boise goes to a New Years day bowl opening a slot, Air Force likely gets in first. They would travel better and its all about the money...

Its a numbers game. It would likely take another conference not having enough teams get to six wins to fulfill bowl ties opening up another spot.

Coach McElwain could get it done here! He did pretty well at CSU and Ft. Collins is a unique place to recruit to and he was making progress there before heading to Florida!

We'll see what happens. 8 games left....

There are some interesting possibilities for UNLV that wouldn't force them to completely break the bank. They'll have to get over 1 million to get a few of them though.

If he gets to 6-6 we go bowling because we would be riding a hot streak coming into bowl season winning 5 out of our last 6 games

There are no guarantees... last year Wyoming won their last 4 games to reach 6-6, had losses only to bowl teams... and didn't make a bowl. Plus they were about 75th in the rankings, and to get close to that UNLV will need to have 5 convincing wins and 3 respectable losses (no more blowouts).

Bowl invites don't favor "hot streak" teams, they like programs that win early so fans plan to travel for a bowl during the holidays, they like teams that have fan bases that consistently travel and TV viewership, and being on the ropes at mid-season is something that loses that fan interest by November.

But I will be very happy and very shocked if 8 weeks from now we are in a position where we are worried about being snubbed at 6-6.

I do not get it. Why are people even posting about 6-6 when if over under for wins was 3.5, 90% of the bets would come in on the under?

He's probably on the some lists of ADs thinking of making a coaching change. He's doing a really nice job at Weber State.
Seems a few years ago, this was said about another successful FCS coach. BTW, maybe UNLV should drop to FCS. They might at least have break-even seasons & possibly a playoff chance.

Seems a few years ago, this was said about another successful FCS coach. BTW, maybe UNLV should drop to FCS. They might at least have break-even seasons & possibly a playoff chance.

Its been said of just about every coach that's been here.

The FCS move takes them out of the MWC. At that point you would be better off just killing the program..

Nobody goes now, they sure as hell aren't going to go to UNLV vs Portland State.

Because we’re a bunch of UNLV fans, that’s why

Seriously. What the hell else is there to talk about..

They have a chance at a bowl until they don't.

If there's a miracle turn around, Sanchez deserves a ton of credit.

If they fall out of bowl contention, its basically thanks for the facility and thats about it..

Reactions: RebelinWA
Seriously. What the hell else is there to talk about..

They have a chance at a bowl until they don't.

If there's a miracle turn around, Sanchez deserves a ton of credit.

If they fall out of bowl contention, its basically thanks for the facility and thats about it..
Exactly

Reactions: Bullmastiff 1
Honestly, I do feel kind of bad for Tony, though. I mean, look...he just doesn't have the bonafides to cut it as a head coach. However, he DID facilitate the funds for a brand new, state-of-the-art practice facility that most here thought would never happen at UNLV.

Now...he gets to watch another coach reap the benefits (hopefully) of all his leg-work.

It is what it is but you wouldn't be human if you didn't feel bad for the guy.

Its been said of just about every coach that's been here. The FCS move takes them out of the MWC. At that point you would be better off just killing the program. Nobody goes now, they sure as hell aren't going to go to UNLV vs Portland State.
Why not go to FCS? Villanova, a perennial basketball power, plays FCS football. Why wouldn't Rebel fans be excited if the Rebs were running for an FCS national championship? They could join the Big Sky Conference and play the likes of Montana. Bobby Hauck at Montana now, is blowing out other BSC competition. UNLV would have a hard time beating Hauck's Montana.

Last edited:
Why not go to FCS? Villanova, a perennial basketball power, plays FCS football. Why wouldn't Rebel fans be excited if the Rebs were running for an FCS national championship? They could join the Big Sky Conference and play the likes of Montana. Bobby Hauck at Montana now, is blowing out other BSC competition. UNLV would have a hard time beating Hauck's Montana.
And what conference would the basketball team be in?

And what conference would the basketball team be in?
It could stay in the MWC. Maybe put more money in the BB program, less in football. OK, some of you would no longer boost the Rebels, but when/if they started back-to-back wins and climbed in national FCS polls and went to playoffs (bowls to you), you'll come back. Nothing like a winning team, whatever the level.

With unlv in a big TV market, decent football would get them in a p5 conference. If u give up in fall, you will never get in p5 conference

Cool.

Do it.

The Big East is the defacto P6. Its not the same.

Either go all in or kill football and play in HS sized gyms in the Big West.

Cool.

Do it.

The Big East is the defacto P6. Its not the same.

Either go all in or kill football and play in HS sized gyms in the Big West.
I'm with that line of thinking - either fully and unconditionally commit to football or just drop it, slide down in conference and go full circle back to the Big West with hoops. This no man's land is garbage.

I'm with that line of thinking - either fully and unconditionally commit to football or just drop it, slide down in conference and go full circle back to the Big West with hoops. This no man's land is garbage.

Its so ridiculous.

Losing conference affiliation with the MW would kill basketball.

Its so ridiculous.

Losing conference affiliation with the MW would kill basketball.
Eh, maybe it would. Heading to a one bid conference would make things tougher probably. We thrived in that way before, but it's different now. But it's not like the MWC has been strong, in fact, it's been rated lower than some of the conferences we consider to be below us. Did the BWC beat us out last season? I don't recall... I don't think they did, but there were some jokesters non-FB conferences rated above the MWC ....

5d9997c76732c-Capturelalal.PNG
Eh, maybe it would. Heading to a one bid conference would make things tougher probably. We thrived in that way before, but it's different now. But it's not like the MWC has been strong, in fact, it's been rated lower than some of the conferences we consider to be below us. Did the BWC beat us out last season? I don't recall... I don't think they did, but there were some jokester non-FB conferences rated above the MWC ....

Eh, maybe it would. Heading to a one bid conference would make things tougher probably. We thrived in that way before, but it's different now. But it's not like the MWC has been strong, in fact, it's been rated lower than some of the conferences we consider to be below us. Did the BWC beat us out last season? I don't recall... I don't think they did, but there were some jokesters non-FB conferences rated above the MWC ....

There are 2x as many D1 schools now. The P6 conferences are even stronger.

It would be way different.

I'm serious. Kill football. Focus on basketball.

Playing Cal State San Loser Abysmal, UC Victorville and Barstow A&M are the quickest ways to regain national prominence.

Obviously I'm being sarcastic.

But 20+ years of this....I'm probably one of two or three people on these boards that cares more about the football program than basketball.

Shit wears you down after awhile...

Last edited:
I'm serious. Kill football. Focus on basketball.

Playing Cal State San Loser Abysmal, UC Victorville and Barstow A&M are the quickest ways to regain national prominence.

Obviously I'm being sarcastic.

But 20+ years of this....I'm probably one of two or three people on these boards that cares more about the football program than basketball.

Shit wears you down after awhile...
You’re being sarcastic, but with UNLV getting a great new practice facility and they’re riding coattails to play home games in a state of the art venue… they better dump money into a staff. Why get a Ferrari and put a four cylinder in it? Fully, FULLY commit to football. Or don’t. But don’t pretend like you are. If you fully commit, the program will build. If you’re not going to, then quit the damn charade. Quit wasting the time and money. And if you do quit, bye bye conference for hoops. Join a tiny, put money into that program, football won’t be a drain anymore. Try to dominate the tiny, get that 13-15 seed and hope.

No, that’s NOT the way I want it, not at all. But doing the MWC walking dead thing isn’t making things better.

You’re being sarcastic, but with UNLV getting a great new practice facility and they’re riding coattails to play home games in a state of the art venue… they better dump money into a staff. Why get a Ferrari and put a four cylinder in it? Fully, FULLY commit to football. Or don’t. But don’t pretend like you are. If you fully commit, the program will build. If you’re not going to, then quit the damn charade. Quit wasting the time and money. And if you do quit, bye bye conference for hoops. Join a tiny, put money into that program, football won’t be a drain anymore. Try to dominate the tiny, get that 13-15 seed and hope.

No, that’s NOT the way I want it, not at all. But doing the MWC walking dead thing isn’t making things better.

I know where you are coming from.

I'm responding to the idea that moving to FCS makes any sense at all.

I agree, go all in.

With the next hire, even if you go the FCS route, allocate enough money to bring in a solid staff.

Up the recruiting budget...

Whatever..Something..

Its a better job now. The facilities are a big boost. Sanchez leaves it in better shape than he inherited it.

I don't get the idea to drop football just because we suck at it, when dropping it would hurt all of your other sports programs.

Most of use have talked for years that we should just to get good enough at football so we would like palatable enough to be the punching bag of a P5 program if we were lucky enough to get invited.

Bottom line, leave the MWC it would significantly hurt the the athletic department.

Say what you want about the current state of the MWC, but it is the absolute best we could do right now. The best basketball conference and more importantly, the best guaranteed money with media rights.

What we did in the big West 30 years ago has absolutely no bearing on the current landscape of college sports.

I do agree they have to commit to football, and they kind of already did with the money invested already. They just have to see it through, and continue to support it. And I agree they have to try to pony up with the next coaching staff.

I know where you are coming from.

I'm responding to the idea that moving to FCS makes any sense at all.

I agree, go all in.

With the next hire, even if you go the FCS route, allocate enough money to bring in a solid staff.

Up the recruiting budget...

Whatever..Something..

Its a better job now. The facilities are a big boost. Sanchez leaves it in better shape than he inherited it.
If this were a few bad seasons this decade, it might be over reactionary. But this is multiple decades of being in the perennial bottom 10-20. This is anything but knee-jerk.

There are excuses aplenty, namely money. But you know what? It’s not like many other schools have had the same or even more insurmountable challenges yet they don’t always dwell in the same level of suckiness that the Rebels have. So we can spin away and blame, blame, blame, allow UNLV to be the victim. Screw that. Let’s place the blame where it belongs. I have a hard time believing that UNLV is Bad Luck U that just happens to hire bad coaches. Listen, guys might not be great, they might not be good fits, but they all know football, they just do. I think UNLV has probably dragged them down ability wise because UNLV isn’t and has never been fully committed. No money? You’re getting paid to go get it, earn your f’n money and RAISE it. You have a marketing job? Basic marketing ain’t gonna cut it, get out there, get aggressive, get innovative. Easier said than done? EXCUSES! That is the reason you are getting paid, do your f’n job. Everyone. To a man/woman that’s involved in athletics. Everyone should have pride, unity, belief and the drive. They shouldn’t only have that pride during a powwow at a long lunch over a fruity cocktail. Don’t occupy a seat for a paycheck. Do your job. Everyone.

They’re bullshit excuses man. You don’t fail for this long if you have some strengths. You have to suck ass across the board to be this poor for this long. Now there is a major facility, that’s money, it’s a huge asset. The new stadium isn’t ours, we are lucky, but it’s a huge asset. So we have important assets, we DO have a population, a footprint. This goes so far beyond coaching, for both football and basketball. We “need” the Pitino’s of the world only because we need to compensate for all the other weaknesses. Fix those goddamn weaknesses and there are plenty of coaches that would work out just fine here. UNLV is a sucker. They’ve been used by unqualified people in key positions, robbed, completely robbed. In money and precious time.

Now fix the rest of the bullshit.

Reactions: Bullmastiff 1
If this were a few bad seasons this decade, it might be over reactionary. But this is multiple decades of being in the perennial bottom 10-20. This is anything but knee-jerk.

There are excuses aplenty, namely money. But you know what? It’s not like many other schools have had the same or even more insurmountable challenges yet they don’t always dwell in the same level of suckiness that the Rebels have. So we can spin away and blame, blame, blame, allow UNLV to be the victim. Screw that. Let’s place the blame where it belongs. I have a hard time believing that UNLV is Bad Luck U that just happens to hire bad coaches. Listen, guys might not be great, they might not be good fits, but they all know football, they just do. I think UNLV has probably dragged them down ability wise because UNLV isn’t and has never been fully committed. No money? You’re getting paid to go get it, earn your f’n money and RAISE it. You have a marketing job? Basic marketing ain’t gonna cut it, get out there, get aggressive, get innovative. Easier said than done? EXCUSES! That is the reason you are getting paid, do your f’n job. Everyone. To a man/woman that’s involved in athletics. Everyone should have pride, unity, belief and the drive. They shouldn’t only have that pride during a powwow at a long lunch over a fruity cocktail. Don’t occupy a seat for a paycheck. Do your job. Everyone.

They’re bullshit excuses man. You don’t fail for this long if you have some strengths. You have to suck ass across the board to be this poor for this long. Now there is a major facility, that’s money, it’s a huge asset. The new stadium isn’t ours, we are lucky, but it’s a huge asset. So we have important assets, we DO have a population, a footprint. This goes so far beyond coaching, for both football and basketball. We “need” the Pitino’s of the world only because we need to compensate for all the other weaknesses. Fix those goddamn weaknesses and there are plenty of coaches that would work out just fine here.

Now fix the rest of the bullshit.

I agree. Im not saying the FCS nonsense is reactionary. I'm saying its nonsense. Because it is nonsense.

You drop down to FCS it impacts everything

I'm agreeing with your main point. Go all in.

Also I wish we could hire this guy or somebody with this mentality...

It would be a refreshing change...

Why should UNLV going to FCS football hurt other programs? As I understand it, there are many schools that play football in one conference w/ all other sports in another conference. Why can't UNLV have FCS football, but MWC in all other sports?

I think you guys are hurt in your sense of pride, but sometimes an impartial, analytical look at a program is needed. To be fair, I think you guys are at least pleading for UNLV football to be competitive in MWC, which it hasn't been for decades. Maybe not go to a bowl every year, but at least be in the running, w/ a bowl or two along the way.

There's another issue: UNLV has Las Vegas in its name. For many athletes and their parents, that's a stigma for obvious reasons. I think one way to counter that is to rename UNLV as "Southern Nevada University." That would also give credibility to the "Rebel" logo. (I'm not sarcastic, here.)

Last edited:
Why should UNLV going to FCS football hurt other programs? As I understand it, there are many schools that play football in one conference w/ all other sports in another conference. Why can't UNLV have FCS football, but MWC in all other sports?

I think you guys are hurt in your sense of pride, but sometimes an impartial, analytical look at a program is needed. To be fair, I think you guys are at least pleading for UNLV football to be competitive in MWC, which it hasn't been for decades. Maybe not go to a bowl every year, but at least be in the running.

There's another issue: UNLV has Las Vegas in its name. For many athletes and their parents, that's a stigma for obvious reasons. I think one way to counter that is to rename UNLV as "Southern Nevada University." That would also give credibility to the "Rebel" logo. (I'm not sarcastic, here.)
Go back to Montana and live in your glass house.

Don’t tell me that UNLV, having Las Vegas in its name, makes parents and players assume that shady characters lurk around every corner.

You’re so self-righteous it’s not even worth arguing with you.

Go back to Montana and live in your glass house. Don’t tell me that UNLV, having Las Vegas in its name, makes parents and players assume that shady characters lurk around every corner. You’re so self-righteous it’s not even worth arguing with you.
OK, fine. Keep living in your fantasy of more money, more this, more that, will raise the program. Many of you, however, have said, "Forget that."

I don't know what UNLV's football budget is now. I'm not sure the coach earns $1 million/yr. I'd say to get a coach of the caliber most of you want costs a few $1 million more, which, apparently, UNLV & its boosters don't have.

Most of you want a cadillac MWC team, but have a beer budget. Nothing wrong with obtaining the best thing you can w/ the money you do have. And, I resent your accusing me of UNLV's rep of having "shady characters."

It's not me; it's the country. There's a conflict, here, between promoting Las Vegas as the "gambling & entertainment center of the world" and establishing UNLV as a serious academic and athletic center. I'm no more happy about this than you are. IOW, I'm questioning whether or not UNLV can have it both ways.

All I'm trying to do is offer some ways to have a viable football program at UNLV, because, after 4 yrs living in Henderson, I consider myself a Rebel fan and wish the best for them. You're coming down too hard on me.

OK, fine. Keep living in your fantasy of more money, more this, more that, will raise the program. Many of you, however, have said, "Forget that."

I don't know what UNLV's football budget is now. I'm not sure the coach earns $1 million/yr. I'd say to get a coach of the caliber most of you want costs a few $1 million more, which, apparently, UNLV & its boosters don't have.

Most of you want a cadillac MWC team, but have a beer budget. Nothing wrong with obtaining the best thing you can w/ the money you do have. And, I resent your accusing me of UNLV's rep of having "shady characters."

It's not me; it's the country. There's a conflict, here, between promoting Las Vegas as the "gambling & entertainment center of the world" and establishing UNLV as a serious academic and athletic center. I'm no more happy about this than you are. IOW, I'm questioning whether or not UNLV can have it both ways.

All I'm trying to do is offer some ways to have a viable football program at UNLV, because, after 4 yrs living in Henderson, I consider myself a Rebel fan and wish the best for them. You're coming down too hard on me.

Going to FCS is a death sentence to the football program.

Here is why it would be a drain on the entire athletic department.

The operating costs of the new stadium increase.

UNLV already struggles with attendance. Half the fans at last nights game were from Boise. I'm pretty sure the Portland and Sacramento States of the world don't travel that well..

I guarantee going to the FCS would alienate a fair amount of longtime fans that have stuck by the program all these years.

Not to mention you would probably have to drop ticket prices further. Nobody is paying current prices for an FCS schedule.

It makes zero fiscal sense.

You're better off killing it completely.

Last edited:
It could stay in the MWC. Maybe put more money in the BB program, less in football. OK, some of you would no longer boost the Rebels, but when/if they started back-to-back wins and climbed in national FCS polls and went to playoffs (bowls to you), you'll come back. Nothing like a winning team, whatever the level.
Going to FCS is a death sentence to the football program.

Here is why it would be a drain on the entire athletic department.

The operating costs of the new stadium increase.

UNLV already struggles with attendance. Half the fans at last nights game were from Boise. I'm pretty sure the Portland and Sacramento States of the world don't travel that well..

I guarantee going to the FCS would alienate a fair amount of longtime fans that have stuck by the program all these years.

Not to mention you would probably have to drop ticket prices further. Nobody is paying current prices for an FCS schedule.

It makes zero fiscal sense.

You're better off killing it completely.

Obviously (IMO), the best alternative is to field a competitive football team and position the program for acceptance to P5.

But if we can't field a competitive football team, the arguments for continuing it need to be firmed up because the calls for FCS or outright termination will be louder and louder. Especially as more and more pro teams suck up sports entertainment $$.

I am personally for paying what it costs to make the program a winner. But I want to be a skeptic of your arguments just to show where the other side can go.

1. The operating costs of the new stadium increase.
Keep the silver bowl. Alternatively build a 18000 seat stadium and split the cost ( @ $ 60 Mil) with a pro soccer team

UNLV already struggles with attendance
You don't need near the attendance for FCS.

3. Alienate fans.
You don't need as many fans. And It can be argued that more fans would come if the program could win in FCS.

4. Ticket Prices need to be lowered.
I go to Jacksonville State and Alabama State games often ( grand nephews play) Ticket prices are the same with the exception of box seats..

5. It makes no sense financially
It makes no sense financially to keep throwing $$ at a perennially bottom 5 FBS program.

6. Better off killing it.
Not true. An competitive FCS game at be a great college experience. Better than the crap we look at week to week here.

Arguments like these make a lot of sense to casual fans or non fans who live in the valley and don't watch sports. If we want to keep our programs we either need to win or convince people these arguments are crap.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT