ADVERTISEMENT

Kevin should be ashamed:

I agree: mid season firings should never happen. I don’t agree that the firing caused us to be crappy for the next decade. An after season firing coupled with who they hired would yield our same results.
Absolutely did have an impact and affect on the years after the firing. First the coaches fraternity respected CDR, the way he was treated was awful. Second, the way the administration handled contracts and negotiating was absolutely a joke. Remember the Cronin thing, it was supposed to be a deal involving Reebok or Under Armour that would help pay for Cronin on top of a substantial deal for the merch rights.

It was all BS and unlv was being used as leverage. Cronin had zero respect for TKM. Nobody took unlv seriously. It was a clown operation.
Reactions: LVRebel2000

Michael Allen

Many of the defensive transfers that UNLV has coming in should be game changers. Looking at what Woodard did coming in off the bench at Arkansas says a lot about major school transfers and the potential that gets locked deep into the bench. Most of the transfers are coming from major programs and should be a major upgrade from a defense that struggled against the pass on the big plays.

Kodi Decambra - Oregon CB (86.26/89.25) - out of Bishop Gorman

Jarvis Ware - UCF CB (82.50/81.96) - 3 years playing at Missouri, 2 years at UCF

Mani Powell - Arkansas LB ( /86.92)

Tony Grimes - Texas A&M CB (88.03/97.64) - started 3 years at North Carolina , sat out at Texas A&M

LaDarrius Bishop - Arkansas CB (83.50/87.13) played 5 years at Arkansas in almost all games

Jaden Navarrette - Oregon LB (84.50/89.77)

Antonio Doyle - Jackson State Edge (86.00/94.19) transfer from Texas A&M to JS played 11 games fifth in tackles.

Malik Chavis - Arkansas CB (83.00/85.57) Played 5 years at Arkansas playing in most of the games as backup

Jalen Catalon - Texas S (88.47/90.62) 4 years at Arkansas 1 at Texas Played a lot in 2020-2021 for Arkansas played some at Texas in 2023

Jeremiah Vessel New Mexico State CB (83.50/82.65) Played in about half of the games as a freshman
Exactly. These guys have gone against some of the best players in the country. The MW is certainly a step down in competition from the SEC. Hopefully these new guys can have as big of an impact as Woodard. That would be amazing!

Kevin should be ashamed:

Yeah, definitely had an impact but it impacted every school in the same manner.

Jessup, a freaking gutless President, throwing his hands in the air and saying just to hire whoever is available (essentially) because of the nationally embarrassing eventual dumpster fire process of the coaching hire … that shows poor leadership. But what did he care? He wasn’t staying, he knew it, just get it off your plate, it won’t follow him around, he won’t take any hits for his incompetence.

I DO think TMK could have done better and wanted to do better, she didn’t want to settle on Marv, nobody wanted him, Jessup just wanted the process to end.
TKM was a disaster of epic proportions. It’s not so much the midseason firing as it is her incompetence. She had a problem and it showed in her decisions, the waffling, the statements to the press. She had no business being AD. Zero.

She did not understand the business, did not think things through. She didn’t know how to close a deal, communicate contract details with the trustees/board. Her biggest mistake was how emotional she got when Texas Tech called that they were hiring Beard. Instead of being offended and telling them no way, you CANNOT DO THAT! WE JUST HIRED HIM! She couldn’t negotiate for time/couple days before they announced it, schedule a home game with TT, maybe even football too.

Rebels practice at Raiders’ facility

Login to view embedded media
This can’t hurt recruiting!

“Do you want NFL eyes on you during the preseason? Come be a Rebel!”

** Maybe the Raiders can’t scout these practices?? I did hear that NFL teams can have unlimited visits with players from local Universities so SF would be able to get Cal and Stanford players to visit as often as they want. Likewise with LVR and UNLV players **
It’s only 112 degrees outside. Must be super nice to practice indoors.

Michael Allen

Maybe we are second best in the MWC, then. We are definitely carving out a good overall offense.
Defense, last year being around 88th overall, needs to really improve in a big way. Loyalty is one thing, but Odom hit HR's with Marion and ST Coach, not so much with DC.
Many of the defensive transfers that UNLV has coming in should be game changers. Looking at what Woodard did coming in off the bench at Arkansas says a lot about major school transfers and the potential that gets locked deep into the bench. Most of the transfers are coming from major programs and should be a major upgrade from a defense that struggled against the pass on the big plays.

Kodi Decambra - Oregon CB (86.26/89.25) - out of Bishop Gorman

Jarvis Ware - UCF CB (82.50/81.96) - 3 years playing at Missouri, 2 years at UCF

Mani Powell - Arkansas LB ( /86.92)

Tony Grimes - Texas A&M CB (88.03/97.64) - started 3 years at North Carolina , sat out at Texas A&M

LaDarrius Bishop - Arkansas CB (83.50/87.13) played 5 years at Arkansas in almost all games

Jaden Navarrette - Oregon LB (84.50/89.77)

Antonio Doyle - Jackson State Edge (86.00/94.19) transfer from Texas A&M to JS played 11 games fifth in tackles.

Malik Chavis - Arkansas CB (83.00/85.57) Played 5 years at Arkansas playing in most of the games as backup

Jalen Catalon - Texas S (88.47/90.62) 4 years at Arkansas 1 at Texas Played a lot in 2020-2021 for Arkansas played some at Texas in 2023

Jeremiah Vessel New Mexico State CB (83.50/82.65) Played in about half of the games as a freshman

Kevin should be ashamed:

Nothing short or close to it of a Will Wade as the next HC we might as well as stick with CKK! I mean look at the people in charge. They are inept as the whole Biden administration ! Hired 2 great coaches that had the first foot out the door as soon as they landed. Look who they have hired after Bayno! CLK was lucky and other than those 2 years pedestrian results. CKK has his network already established in recruiting circles . Not going to be great HC hopefully decent to above average. Nobody is going to lure him away . Unless his dad gets involved AGAIN IMO!

OT: Hypocrisy in politics

Problem is if you peel portions away from either to create a third and a fourth, you end up like Europe where your selling out in order to create a coalition government but then the larger block takes control and does whatever it wants anyways. Imagine losing 10% of your base the way elections are here, that's an immediate L and the larger party that you might more idealisticly align with won't care.
Yeah, I agree. It would basically need to be a total restart or removal of the party system.

Kevin should be ashamed:

For sure. Even with the terrible decision of a mid season firing, a good hire means you can get back on some sort of track in lesser time and not hemorrhage fans. But we hired a used car salesman politician type that was more interested in creating a false narrative (look at the 20 wins, I’m so valuable ucla might come calling) than actually coaching basketball.

Eventually fans saw through the smokescreen and they started to bolt heavily. It took awhile for some fans to see it, I thought it was very obvious early. The hiring of Menzies really sped up the death spiral that we are still dealing with.
Black And White Animation GIF
Dumpster Fire GIF by MOODMAN

Both of these fit the Menzies area. Covid was the death blow that finished off what the Menzies virus did to the program!

Kevin should be ashamed:

#1. The UNLV department of basketball
revenue should be worry about our

schedule.
#2. Zero quality wins and no Quad 3 or 4
losses will get you jack-shit
#3. We still haven’t recovered from the

Rice mid season firing?? Recover from what? He never led us to any conference titles. Never accomplished much except a few big wins. Underachieved…Didn’t like his demeanor on the sidelines. Etc.. glad he’s gone. PS. We have never recovered from the Maxon mistake. Looks like we never will.
You are right about never recovered from Maxon, but if you think we are a shell of the program or even recognized nationally before Rice mid-season firing You sir are in straight denial. Everyone here recognizes his shortcomings, but spare Mae with that nonsense. All you have to do is show up to a game at the T&M to notice the drastic difference. Mid season firings should never happen unless it’s egregious. It won’t happen this time either.

Kevin should be ashamed:

Fans remained through meager Spoon years, through Mass Grg and early Bayno … through early Lon … and even for Rices last three seasons … that’s a pretty loyal fanbase for 3 NCAAT wins over 25 years. Then the bottom fell out drastically.
Not to beat a dead horse but Menzies really did damage to fans' desire to attend. The drop in talent was immediate and drastic. We became the St Kat's teams that we were destroying. Any team with a pulse was beating us.

Pacific December 14

Amen to that. I refuse to pay for tickets in Vegas after I’ve shelled out for season tickets AND contributed to the RAF. Just feels like a total FU to the fans/alumni who put their $$ where they’re heart is. I get that athletics is in the red (big time in fact), but more reason to go on the road and toughen up your team while also bringing home some cheddar.
UNLV athletics is in the red big time? Based on what? Everything I have seen or read has shown UNLV athletics had made a profit for the last four years. https://www.sportsbusinessjournal.com/Daily/Issues/2023/06/05/Colleges/unlv-net-revenue.aspx

Pacific December 14

To top it all off, those games are not included in season tickets. Enough of the nonsense and trying to grab every dime you can!
Amen to that. I refuse to pay for tickets in Vegas after I’ve shelled out for season tickets AND contributed to the RAF. Just feels like a total FU to the fans/alumni who put their $$ where they’re heart is. I get that athletics is in the red (big time in fact), but more reason to go on the road and toughen up your team while also bringing home some cheddar.

2024-25 Non Con schedule.

I’m not hoping for negative outcomes but I do struggle to see how this roster is going to be any better than last years. Asking honestly, what do you see in this roster that tells you they will be improved?

DJT + Whaley development upside is the most obvious, but hill returning, less reliance on boom or bust Boone, better spacing opportunities, etc all make me think that this team should at least make the tournament in a weaker MWC + win most of these cupcake noncon games.

2024-25 Non Con schedule.

Am I insane to think that this roster could win like 9 OOC games? I don’t think it’s that unreasonable to expect a leap forward, kind of sad how some of you guys almost want negative projections to pan out lol
I’m not hoping for negative outcomes but I do struggle to see how this roster is going to be any better than last years. Asking honestly, what do you see in this roster that tells you they will be improved?
ADVERTISEMENT

Filter

ADVERTISEMENT