ADVERTISEMENT

First Look

Call me the negative one but this roster will not help CKK get retained.

We have two good players, one who is relatively good but has put on unhealthy weight, and the rest aren’t impressive.

Forgive me for being pessimistic.
Agreed. Athleticism seems below average. They’ll have the opportunity to prove us wrong, but my expectations are low.

First Look

So I think that anyone trying to take anything super deep from a scrimmage highlight reel is reaching. Here's what i took from the video.

* Bear and Bannerbie look like they're in shape, can run the floor, have at least decent hands and footwork and the fact that either can take a couple of dribbles to set a screen off of a dribble hand off will add some motion and wrinkles to our offense. Cherry was jogging a little more than I like to see, but he wouldn't be the first big man to take a break getting back on defense on a fast break.

* No Jalen Hill in the video that I saw. Given how early he was injured last year I was hoping to see him.

* No N'Diaye - I wonder if this means a developmental redshirt is coming?

* Whiting looks like he might have enough of a pulse to spell Dedan for 8-10 minutes a game when needed but he's certainly not my idea of a top of the rotation back up.

Michael Allen

Many of the defensive transfers that UNLV has coming in should be game changers. Looking at what Woodard did coming in off the bench at Arkansas says a lot about major school transfers and the potential that gets locked deep into the bench. Most of the transfers are coming from major programs and should be a major upgrade from a defense that struggled against the pass on the big plays.

Kodi Decambra - Oregon CB (86.26/89.25) - out of Bishop Gorman

Jarvis Ware - UCF CB (82.50/81.96) - 3 years playing at Missouri, 2 years at UCF

Mani Powell - Arkansas LB ( /86.92)

Tony Grimes - Texas A&M CB (88.03/97.64) - started 3 years at North Carolina , sat out at Texas A&M

LaDarrius Bishop - Arkansas CB (83.50/87.13) played 5 years at Arkansas in almost all games

Jaden Navarrette - Oregon LB (84.50/89.77)

Antonio Doyle - Jackson State Edge (86.00/94.19) transfer from Texas A&M to JS played 11 games fifth in tackles.

Malik Chavis - Arkansas CB (83.00/85.57) Played 5 years at Arkansas playing in most of the games as backup

Jalen Catalon - Texas S (88.47/90.62) 4 years at Arkansas 1 at Texas Played a lot in 2020-2021 for Arkansas played some at Texas in 2023

Jeremiah Vessel New Mexico State CB (83.50/82.65) Played in about half of the games as a freshman
Being a UNLV Football and Basketball fan for so long, it's getting hard for me to wrap my head around players coming in with hype and then them living up to it. I hope you're right. I'd love to see the improvement on that side of the ball. It's desperately needed!
ADVERTISEMENT

Filter

ADVERTISEMENT