ADVERTISEMENT

How is it only Tuesday?

I live in Houston and my UNLV Alumni parents are flying in.

It will be hot and likely raining. So that will be fun :).

Anyone coming to town who is looking for places to eat, hit me up. Houston is a great food city. The oil industry has made the population extremely diverse and some awesome food comes with the merging of cultures.
What kind of merging of cultures look like?
Reactions: LVRebel2000

What if…

There are only so many finances to go around. Say Odom has another really good year, making the MW championship game.

Do you stretch your resources to try to extend Odom, or you essentially let him walk and try to bring in a new BB coach?

There are only so much money to go around. CKK has been arguably "mediocre", but he has been in the upper tier of the conference and is cheap.

I say if he makes the NIT again, then he doesn't get canned or extended. Basing that purely off of economics.

Sure, Odom's contract was extended after last season, but he really didn't get a notable pay bump. Another big year and he will be definitely due for a pay bump.

Or how about this? Odom gets hired away? What do we do then? Try to hire Marion for cheap? Go after another name/established HC Like a Patterson? We won't be able to go after 2 big fish in one offseason. Football pays the bills and is nearly exclusively the pathway to a better conference.

QB

I’ve seen this criticism a lot about Sluka: that he doesn’t stay in the pocket long enough and is quick to run.

If this was last year, I’d be ecstatic if we had a dude that would take off instead of forcing a bad throw. That was Maiava’s MO. If he didn’t have an open receiver initially, it almost always resulted in a bad throw that was too late and often was picked off.

If Sluka can hit that 1st or 2nd option if it’s there, then great. If not, taking off and running ain’t a bad way to go.
I hear you, and you're right. That isn't the worst thing in the world.

But if the option is HMW and Sluka, which we are assuming is true. If Sluka has a very quick internal clock and tries to run too soon. Which is a very real possibility. He may have improved Pass pro this year vs last year, and he may abandon the pass too soon. The trade off being a very good runner, again not a bad thing. But he is also known for being physical and not ideal having him take too many hits.

On the flipside say you have HMW. A capable runner and definite upgrade from JM, but is more patient in the pocket and willing to wait that extra beat to make the play downfield through the air. Maybe not as effective as a ball carrier. Who do YOU choose?

I say HMW all day.

I agree that Sluka has the best ceiling. If he can be patient, make all the throws, and knows the playbook inside and out, I think he is probably the best option. Is he at this point for game 1? Maybe.

Then there is arm strength, accuracy, etc. I will always rather have the better thrower if things are even enough for the QB. But if the better runner, extends plays better, converts more 3rd downs, then that changes things.

How is it only Tuesday?

Its Wednesday NOW ....getting closer. I'm excited.

Houston is favored by 1.5

I think we will win, with a new coach comes changes and I think early in the season would be the best time to play them.

• UNLV has covered the spread in each of its last 12 road games against non-conference opponents.
  • Houston has failed to cover the spread in each of its last three games against opponents from the Mountain West Conference.
ADVERTISEMENT

Filter

ADVERTISEMENT