ADVERTISEMENT

How is it only Tuesday?

Its Wednesday NOW ....getting closer. I'm excited.

Houston is favored by 1.5

I think we will win, with a new coach comes changes and I think early in the season would be the best time to play them.

• UNLV has covered the spread in each of its last 12 road games against non-conference opponents.
  • Houston has failed to cover the spread in each of its last three games against opponents from the Mountain West Conference.

QB

If Friel is the guy, that'd be a huge offseason swing and either an incredible up-coaching job by this staff or a huge talent evaluation/recruitment failure... ever since getting tossed around his game has not been what it was and even then it was limited.
All this thread and X discussion proves is our anxiety over QB1 and the ceiling this team could have

QB

Sluka was a bit more of a sexier recruit coming in. Had some better highlights and numbers. But I don't think there was THAT big of difference between them coming in. Sure, I think Sluka has a better ceiling. But he is behind the 8 ball in terms of practice and the playbook.

If he is abandoning the pocket too much when the protection is there reducing plays downfield, then Hajj is the better option. Pushing the ball to our really good WR/TE corps is the really what this offense is set up to do. If Sluka makes the run game better, but hurts the passing game, then Hajj should be the guy.

*I am just throwing out hypotheticals here based of some of his criticisms of the past. I have no idea how either look in the offense.
I’ve seen this criticism a lot about Sluka: that he doesn’t stay in the pocket long enough and is quick to run.

If this was last year, I’d be ecstatic if we had a dude that would take off instead of forcing a bad throw. That was Maiava’s MO. If he didn’t have an open receiver initially, it almost always resulted in a bad throw that was too late and often was picked off.

If Sluka can hit that 1st or 2nd option if it’s there, then great. If not, taking off and running ain’t a bad way to go.

QB

Just my observation. Both Sluka and Williams played at the same FCS level. After watching film on Williams IMO the biggest knock on him could be his size. He is listed at 6'1" but I wouldn't be surprised if he was around 6 feet. But what he appears to be very accurate and the 70.7% completion rate is very high and has solid arm strength. Also, he appears to be elusive. I can see if you want White and the rest of the recievers, tight ends and even running backs to get as many touches by passing as possible and to make plays he could be the guy.
My thoughts exactly
Reactions: LVRebel2000

QB

Just my observation. Both Sluka and Williams played at the same FCS level. After watching film on Williams IMO the biggest knock on him could be his size. He is listed at 6'1" but I wouldn't be surprised if he was around 6 feet. But what he appears to be very accurate and the 70.7% completion rate is very high and has solid arm strength. Also, he appears to be elusive. I can see if you want White and the rest of the recievers, tight ends and even running backs to get as many touches by passing as possible and to make plays he could be the guy.

QB

All of that being said - it’s definitely going to be Friel starting.

Whoever it is- I trust the coaches at this point to get the best QB out there given current status. I was worried before, kind of still am, but less so the more I watch and hear about them competing and talent sets. It seems like they all have very solid strengths- it would be nice to creat a Frankenstein of the talents, pick a choose pieces of each.
I think it was De Jesus that pointed out the strengths of each in an article or interview… I’ll have to try and find it again. I was a little surprised on his assessments (if it was him)… it was encouraging though.
You got that right, it is Friel!

QB

I think it was De Jesus that pointed out the strengths of each in an article or interview… I’ll have to try and find it again. I was a little surprised on his assessments (if it was him)… it was encouraging though.
Found it…

Returning wide receiver and kick returner Jacob De Jesus believes all three quarterbacks bring their own strengths to the table. He said Friel “has the best arm, accuracy” and is reminiscent of last year’s starter Jayden Maiava, who transferred to Southern California in the offseason.

“(Sluka) can run. I can see him taking it down for a TD,” De Jesus said. “Malik-Williams can run too … but his knowledge of the game stands out.”

QB

All of that being said - it’s definitely going to be Friel starting.

Whoever it is- I trust the coaches at this point to get the best QB out there given current status. I was worried before, kind of still am, but less so the more I watch and hear about them competing and talent sets. It seems like they all have very solid strengths- it would be nice to make a Frankenstein of the talents, pick and choose pieces of each.

QB

from some of the stuff I've seen on X, it seems like Sluka hasn't picked up the playbook as quickly though, so it's not a matter of whether or not he's the better player, it's going to be a matter of who's the best guy for this game. It's all hearsay though, so who knows.
Sluka was a bit more of a sexier recruit coming in. Had some better highlights and numbers. But I don't think there was THAT big of difference between them coming in. Sure, I think Sluka has a better ceiling. But he is behind the 8 ball in terms of practice and the playbook.

If he is abandoning the pocket too much when the protection is there reducing plays downfield, then Hajj is the better option. Pushing the ball to our really good WR/TE corps is the really what this offense is set up to do. If Sluka makes the run game better, but hurts the passing game, then Hajj should be the guy.

*I am just throwing out hypotheticals here based of some of his criticisms of the past. I have no idea how either look in the offense.

QB

Is that from reading opinions or is that from video, because all the clips on X that Ive seen are very vague on content from the team and there doesnt seem to be much else out there video wise. Most of the practice clips rarely show enough to determine that one QB is struggling with the playbook.
Playbook stuff would be comments. Videos also show some bad throws, but like others have said, it could be by design. I have no idea
Reactions: bcvegaspt2

QB

from some of the stuff I've seen on X, it seems like Sluka hasn't picked up the playbook as quickly though, so it's not a matter of whether or not he's the better player, it's going to be a matter of who's the best guy for this game. It's all hearsay though, so who knows.
Is that from reading opinions or is that from video, because all the clips on X that Ive seen are very vague on content from the team and there doesnt seem to be much else out there video wise. Most of the practice clips rarely show enough to determine that one QB is struggling with the playbook.
Reactions: LVRebel2000

QB

Odom is clearly playing 5D chess by only allowing clips of Sluka on X struggling. Making the Houston staff watch those and conclude that it’s Hajj.

What if…

If UNLV’s goal IS to become a football program with basketball secondary … there is no better time than NOW. You can say basketball has been so disappointing for so long that it’s the way anyway after last year. But that’s just one year, cart before the horse.

But internally, if that’s what UNLV really wants (with the ultimate goal getting into a better conference eventually), the time is NOW to sink all available resources into football. They’ve shown the potential and the focus/direction. If you’re going to do it, now is the time.
I think they are already sinking a lot of money into football. I believe they are closing in on a new indoor training facility for the football program that included a Boyd Gaming donation of $6.5 million back in March.

OT: Hypocrisy in politics

An America without freedom of speech or free exchange of ideas isn’t America.

Login to view embedded media
Currently we have no freedom of speech on most social media sites if you are a conservative, and almost completely one sided with the network news, but I am sure that the current administration would be happy to continue along their current path of turning us into another England where they toss you in jail if you make a negative comment that the powers that be consider inappropriate.
ADVERTISEMENT

Filter

ADVERTISEMENT