ADVERTISEMENT

SI’s Pat Forde on College Football Playoffs after week 1

Ranked #1 on a list to make the playoffs? I’m not gonna complain or quibble about anything. Living a dream right now that I thought would take several years of growth and consistency to reach. The stars have aligned for us and I’m riding this rocket as far it takes us!! Let’s go Rebs! Let’s go Odom! Let’s go Go-Go!!
Along for the ride!
Blast Off Moon GIF by BBC America
Reactions: LVRebel2000

TV Viewership West Schools last week

Based on these numbers, UNLV should work to schedule teams that get a lot of views that aren't the top teams. I'm looking at Colorado, UCLA, Arizona, etc. I'm sure there are plenty more teams like this in the central and eastern zones as well.
Yeah those stats are misleading. If we had played Michigan we would have received 2.6 million views. It's not like people tuned in to watch Fresno. In fact almost 400K more people watched us play Michigan last year than they watched Fresneck this year.

Reactions: LVRebel2000

From @SuperSportsWest X account

9.2M—USC-LSU, ABC
4.8M—NDSU-Colorado, ESPN
2.6M—Fresno St-Michigan, NBC
1.84M—CSU-Texas, ESPN
1.13M—UCLA-Hawai'l, CBS
953K—New Mexico-Arizona, ESPN
425K—Idaho-Oregon, BTN
381K—Idaho St-Ore St, The CW
306K—Weber St-Washington, BTN
253K—Wyoming-ASU, FS1
223K—Portland St-WSU, The CW
172K—UNLV-Houston, FS1
Based on these numbers, UNLV should work to schedule teams that get a lot of views that aren't the top teams. I'm looking at Colorado, UCLA, Arizona, etc. I'm sure there are plenty more teams like this in the central and eastern zones as well.
Reactions: bcvegaspt2

Boise versus Oregon

Yes, The MWC doesnt get an autobid so winning outright doesnt guarantee it but... The reality is there will likely be the inevitable lower tier G5 that goes undefeated. Seems to be happening more and more, but their poor league schedule will hurt them in the playoff rankings. That's why the MWC is the best positioned G5 conference.. there's a lot of name recognition in the conference and 3-4 top tier teams that will carry each other vs 1 really good team and a bunch of mediocre and bad teams.. Thats the difference between the CFP and past years NY6 selections. Its why the MWC gets 5 at large bids to the dance vs the mid-majors that go 30-2 but lose in their tournament and dont make it.
That said, screw Boise and their over-hype train. Losing to Oregon is expected so it wont hurt them terribly in sense of our SOS, but winning makes it that much harder for us to steal that spotlight and "Cinderella" story
Exactly. That's kind of what I was getting at. And even if UNLV and BSU are tied in terms of qualifications, my gut tells me that they would pick BSU due to their history, and higher viewership historically
Reactions: bcvegaspt2

Disagree with you Scrub. It's not impossible. It all depends on having a winning program. It will take several years if the team continues to win. The basketball team was a national brand when it was winning as a good case in point.
Winning is what I called the Kruger's era. Tark's era weren't just winning. Some of the Tark's team were downright intimidating. The opponents already given up before games even started.

There was a heavy organized effort with an infusion of some backing money and other resources under Rice. The ideas were the students, but a Mozilla took money and creative minds and that’s where the backing came in.

There was grassroots with Kruger but it was adrenalized under Rice and then UNLV wanted all control and it disintegrated.
This.. If you weren't there 3 or 4 hours prior to tip during the Kruger era, you got relegated to high up the lower bowl. Those later more organized efforts and ideas implementation in the Rebellion were the hard work of many friends and acquaintances.
I still remember when someone in Athletics made the unilateral decision to put the cheerleaders and dance team seats in the first 3 rows directly behind the basket and didnt consult any of the students. That was probably the beginning of the end to those atmospheres.. although the play in the following seasons after Rice got fired didnt help along with what you said about the administration and student government trying to co-opt and control the organic organization that had formed on its own.

It will take a few years for UNLV to get any type of national following after decades of being at the bottom of college football. The first step was last year, the next step is to have another good year and to increase home attendance. How many people want to watch a game in a half empty stadium? More fans means more excitement.
A few years? How about “never”??
ADVERTISEMENT

Filter

ADVERTISEMENT