ADVERTISEMENT

What if ?

rebelwithacause

Rebel Legend
Mar 27, 2002
UNLV is so rinky dinky and seems to screw up everything. We have a lame duck AD still in place. The admin needs foresight to challenge what comes up in the future to make our athletic programs more profitable.

So what if Sanchez leads this team to 7-5 record this year and a bowl win.......

I will tell you what will happen, he will be considered one of the best young up and coming coaches in the country and a pac-12 (or other big-6) program will go after him.

I seriously doubt our administration is ready to compete. It would be just like UNLV to get a great coach and then lose him to another school.

UNLV is so rinky dinky and seems to screw up everything. We have a lame duck AD still in place. The admin needs foresight to challenge what comes up in the future to make our athletic programs more profitable.

So what if Sanchez leads this team to 7-5 record this year and a bowl win.......

I will tell you what will happen, he will be considered one of the best young up and coming coaches in the country and a pac-12 (or other big-6) program will go after him.

I seriously doubt our administration is ready to compete. It would be just like UNLV to get a great coach and then lose him to another school.
Yeah, but if that's going to happen, it's going to happen regardless of any steps UNLV takes. We haven't known because no head coach has had success here, but UNLV is definitely a stepping stone job.

Why not worry about having a great season before you get so far ahead of yourself. The sky is not falling.

Reactions: Rancher33
Sanchez loves it here. I don't see him making a move to a P5 team unless it is absolutely certain we have no chance at an invite down the line. He understands the landscape. A move to a low end P5 job isn't that much better than here, especially when we get the stadium and practice facility.

I don't see him leaving until he gets a crack at a very good job.

Reactions: reb4life777
He will absolulty leave for the millions he would make for his family and UNLV will let him ride off into the sunset without much of a fight.

I've never seen so many basketball fans on the football board. - I never get a chance to see most your handles - welcome... that might be a good sign - or not (depending if your glass is half full or shattered)
... time will tell.

Reactions: reb4life777
This actually raises a great question.
Has Rebels ever lost a coach because of their success at UNLV?
I can't think of any that left for a bigger school or bigger money or greener pastures.
Maybe Ron Meyer I guess.

Ron Meyer did leave to SMU, but that is the only one I can think of during the history of UNLV football.

As for Sanchez, we need to hope that the rules are changed this year (in the works) to remove the Board of Regents from being involved in the hiring of coaches, to open the door to paying for any raise by donations. We also would need to see what would happen in regards to people like the Fertitta's and others that may be willing to donate for a big pay raise for Sanchez if and when he starts winning. I also think he is most likely to wait at least until his kids finish high school before he would consider moving on to another program.

If Sanchez is 'poached' by a P5 school in the next couple of years it will mean that the program is in bettter shape than when he came in.

I think in that scenario one of the assistants (Garrison?) might take over.

Reactions: Rancher33
If Sanchez is 'poached' by a P5 school in the next couple of years it will mean that the program is in bettter shape than when he came in.

I think in that scenario one of the assistants (Garrison?) might take over.
Tony is building here and has a chance to really make has mark. At some point, if the opportunity ever arises, I think he'd jump on the USC job. Until then, I think he'd be patient, kinda like Peterson was a BSU (wouldn't it be nice to have that kind of success!).
I think Garrison has aspirations and may be gone before then. All of this is just gut feeling. No inside info

Reactions: Bullmastiff 1
I can't believe this scenario hasn't already been considered and planned for by the Fertittas. Imo, $$ will be there to match offers. I think the better question involves Sanchez leaving to test himself against better competition. If you can take one of the worst programs in college FB and bring to a top 50 program then a guy like Sanchez will have to wonder if he may be the next Saban. Only way to tell is to move to power 5.

I can't believe this scenario hasn't already been considered and planned for by the Fertittas. Imo, $$ will be there to match offers. I think the better question involves Sanchez leaving to test himself against better competition. If you can take one of the worst programs in college FB and bring to a top 50 program then a guy like Sanchez will have to wonder if he may be the next Saban. Only way to tell is to move to power 5.

... or have us become a part of the power 5, which is the long term plan and closer than ever. Sanchez could accomplish all of that while staying and growing with UNLV. A taste of consistent success... possible nfl stadium and the donations will explode. The money flowing through the valley is stupid and once shown a winner... forget about it. Sanchez and most staff could accomplish so much more by growing with this very fast growing university - statues of him and all.

Tony is building here and has a chance to really make has mark. At some point, if the opportunity ever arises, I think he'd jump on the USC job. Until then, I think he'd be patient, kinda like Peterson was a BSU (wouldn't it be nice to have that kind of success!).
I think Garrison has aspirations and may be gone before then. All of this is just gut feeling. No inside info

Agree on totally on Garrison.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT