ADVERTISEMENT

Weekday FB games?

Loyal Coug1

Starter
Oct 8, 2023
So does the MW move games to Th/Fri for TV? Discussion starting on my Board about this. I guess you control our away games (where Th/Fri would be ok with us), and I would assume the Pac-2 controls our home games - or do your teams have a say?).

WSU in general hates Th/Fr games. A significant portion of our fan base resides 280 miles away (Seattle area) and 75 miles away (Spokane, with a 2-lane highway connecting us, going through the biggest speedtrap 25MPH small town on the planet). Plus our quite popular RV lot takes up large student/staff parking lots right by the stadium. In the past the TV lords and Pac-12 office have controlled game times and dates. Will be interesting to see this develop. My opinion is that we will be getting a shit TV deal for home games anyway. I say F-that in favor of trying to cater to our battered actual fan base.

Reactions: LVRebel2000
No joke about that speed trap, slows down entire trip... I kept as close to 25 as I can, but I do same thing in Nevada going North because that's all those Sherrifs have to do, speed traps. Must pay good on football weekends, lol.

No joke about that speed trap, slows down entire trip... I kept as close to 25 as I can, but I do same thing in Nevada going North because that's all those Sherrifs have to do, speed traps. Must pay good on football weekends, lol.
You have been through Colfax, WA? 2,500 person town, but the State Patrol and County Sheriff have offices there, in addition to the local Barney Fife PD. I think I am the only WSU grad to NOT have gotten at least one ticket there.

So does the MW move games to Th/Fri for TV? Discussion starting on my Board about this. I guess you control our away games (where Th/Fri would be ok with us), and I would assume the Pac-2 controls our home games - or do your teams have a say?).

WSU in general hates Th/Fr games. A significant portion of our fan base resides 280 miles away (Seattle area) and 75 miles away (Spokane, with a 2-lane highway connecting us, going through the biggest speedtrap 25MPH small town on the planet). Plus our quite popular RV lot takes up large student/staff parking lots right by the stadium. In the past the TV lords and Pac-12 office have controlled game times and dates. Will be interesting to see this develop. My opinion is that we will be getting a shit TV deal for home games anyway. I say F-that in favor of trying to cater to our battered actual fan base.

I was impressed with how far people drove to attend WSU games when I was up there chatting with some of the fans.

UNLV had 1 Friday night game lady season? (Maybe 2?)

I'm not a fan of them myself.

I was impressed with how far people drove to attend WSU games when I was up there chatting with some of the fans.

UNLV had 1 Friday night game lady season? (Maybe 2?)

I'm not a fan of them myself.
2010 11 games on Saturday one at home on Thursday
2011 11 games on Saturday one on road on Thursday at Wisconsin
2012 11 games on Saturday one on Thursday at home verse Minnesota and one at home on Friday verse Washington State
2013 10 games on Saturday one on Thursday at Minnesota and one at Air Force on Thursday
2014 11 games on Saturday one on Friday at Arizona and one on Friday at home verse Fresno State
2015 11 games on Saturday and one on Friday at Fresno State
2016 10 games on Saturday one at Boise State on Friday and one at home on Thursday verse Jackson State
2017 10 games on Saturday and one on Friday at home verse byu and one at New Mexico on Friday
2018 11 games on Saturday and one on Friday at home verse Air Force
2019 11 games on Saturday and one on Friday at Fresno State
2020 Covid Year
2021 6 games on Saturday one on Thursday at home verse Eastern Washington, one at Fresno State on Friday, one at home verse SJSU on Thursday, one on Friday at unr, one on Friday at home verse SDSU, one on Friday at Air Force.
2022 9 on Saturday, 3 on Friday home New Mexico, at SJSU on Friday, and home on Friday verse Fresno State
2023 11 on Saturday and one on Friday home verse Wyoming

2012 11 games on Saturday one on Thursday at home verse Minnesota and one at home on Friday verse Washington State
2013 10 games on Saturday one on Thursday at Minnesota and one at Air Force on Thursday
2014 11 games on Saturday one on Friday at Arizona and one on Friday at home verse Fresno State
2016 10 games on Saturday one at Boise State on Friday and one at home on Thursday verse Jackson State
2017 10 games on Saturday and one on Friday at home verse byu and one at New Mexico on Friday
2020 Covid Year
2021 6 games on Saturday one on Thursday at home verse Eastern Washington, one at Fresno State on Friday, one at home verse SJSU on Thursday, one on Friday at unr, one on Friday at home verse SDSU, one on Friday at Air Force.
2022 9 on Saturday, 3 on Friday home New Mexico, at SJSU on Friday, and home on Friday verse Fresno State

Thanks.

Reactions: Knight Rebel702
2020 Covid Year
In a word, yuk! WTF with 2021? Thanks for the detail. I'll share with my Coug brethren.

2020 Covid Year
The current media contract for MWC/ CBS / Fox (I believe started in 2020) was to show our games only on Friday and Saturday. Are those Thursday games you list part of our media contract? The current media contract also controlled our local game start times. No games later than 8pm local times. In the previous contract which included ESPN they would start some of our games as late as 8:45pm local game time.

Let's see how we do on our next media contract. Hopefully better yet.

Reactions: bcvegaspt
The current media contract for MWC/ CBS / Fox (I believe started in 2020) was to show our games only on Friday and Saturday. Are those Thursday games you list part of our media contract? The current media contract also controlled our local game start times. No games later than 8pm local times. In the previous contract which included ESPN they would start some of our games as late as 8:45pm local game time.

Let's see how we do on our next media contract. Hopefully better yet.
A few of the Thursday games are after 2020, and against teams in the MWC.

A few of the Thursday games are after 2020, and against teams in the MWC.
I'm not doubting what you are saying I'm wondering if those games were picked up by our media partners. Not all of them are. That is why sometimes they show up on the MW network. A few years back we had some that showed up on YouTube. All I remember when the contract was awarded to our current media partners was they would only show games on Friday and Saturdays. There was also some other thing that if a game started after 8pm they would have to pay us more so they pretty much kept games from starting after 8pm.

I don't feel like looking up the old media rights contract because by the time we either do or don't affiliate with the Pac-2 in media rights it will probably change. We should be under a new contract for the 2026 season.

I'm not doubting what you are saying I'm wondering if those games were picked up by our media partners. Not all of them are. That is why sometimes they show up on the MW network. A few years back we had some that showed up on YouTube. All I remember when the contract was awarded to our current media partners was they would only show games on Friday and Saturdays. There was also some other thing that if a game started after 8pm they would have to pay us more so they pretty much kept games from starting after 8pm.

I don't feel like looking up the old media rights contract because by the time we either do or don't affiliate with the Pac-2 in media rights it will probably change. We should be under a new contract for the 2026 season.
Well there is plenty of time now but it goes fast. The Pac-2 needs to keep whatever lame agreement we get into short (2 years max). And we all need to decide on the reverse merger way before the MW gets serious about a new media deal.

Well there is plenty of time now but it goes fast. The Pac-2 needs to keep whatever lame agreement we get into short (2 years max). And we all need to decide on the reverse merger way before the MW gets serious about a new media deal.
Aside from the merger I believe our media rights framework allowed us to renegotiate if we added additional schools. The scheduling agreement should allow the MWC to renegotiate. If our media partners are allowed to simply pay us the same $4 million dollars per school for the season then Gloria is not doing her job. We must renegotiate to see what value the Pac-2 adds. The nations eyes will be looking at WSU and OSU this fall. There has to be value in that and we must take advantage of that.

I'm still cautiously optimistic that we merge. But there is no guarantee. We just don't know what the 2 Pac schools are going to do.

Expanded coverage on Fox this coming season....

Reactions: bcvegaspt
Expanded coverage on Fox this coming season....

From what I have seen of the UNLV schedule, they are only playing on Saturday next season.

From what I have seen of the UNLV schedule, they are only playing on Saturday next season.
It's not about UNLV specifically. More about the MWC and two other conferences in general. I look at things when they say they want to expand coverage on Friday's does that mean they are willing to pay out more and how does it impact the current media contract. Is this making it more competitive between our media partners and is there benefit in terms of more money for the conference? Is this a result of the Pac-12 demise where the media holders want to expand more with with Western based teams? Whatever their motivations are I would think that would benefit our payouts above the $4 million dollar range going forward. It's speculation and I'm looking for the positives in this.

Reactions: Rebel1986
It's not about UNLV specifically. More about the MWC and two other conferences in general. I look at things when they say they want to expand coverage on Friday's does that mean they are willing to pay out more and how does it impact the current media contract. Is this making it more competitive between our media partners and is there benefit in terms of more money for the conference? Is this a result of the Pac-12 demise where the media holders want to expand more with with Western based teams? Whatever their motivations are I would think that would benefit our payouts above the $4 million dollar range going forward. It's speculation and I'm looking for the positives in this.
I’d much rather just Saturday games. Call me a traditionalist, but college football is Saturday, NFL Sunday. It just feels right. I really don’t care about the payouts.

But it’s not like I won’t watch a Friday or Thursday game.

Not sure here. But if we play Fri. doesn't that give the Raiders enough time to get the field ready for Sunday? That would get us more flexibility for our schedule.

I’d much rather just Saturday games. Call me a traditionalist, but college football is Saturday, NFL Sunday. It just feels right. I really don’t care about the payouts.

But it’s not like I won’t watch a Friday or Thursday game.
The only issue I see for UNLV, who currently have all of their games listed on Saturday, is it could be difficult to change the days based on whatever other events are scheduled at Allegiant stadium. I also agree that Saturday is the best for me. If any of the games get changed to Friday, it may be an issue for my son to go due to work, and I already have my season tickets paid for for next season!

The only issue I see for UNLV, who currently have all of their games listed on Saturday, is it could be difficult to change the days based on whatever other events are scheduled at Allegiant stadium. I also agree that Saturday is the best for me. If any of the games get changed to Friday, it may be an issue for my son to go due to work, and I already have my season tickets paid for for next season!
If I can recall, in the past, all of the initial schedules that come out show Saturday games. Once TV slots/games are picked, some games will be shifted to Friday (and possibly Thursday?).

Weekday games hurt attendance and we need as much of a boost as possible over the next few years to really establish the program.

Reactions: Bullmastiff 1
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT