ADVERTISEMENT

Official Game Thread UNLV at Cal Game Thread

Yeah Utah St needs to be added to the list of winnable games. They lost to Weber St at home 35-7. They would have been shut out if it weren’t for a 100 yd kick return TD.

Next one that we’d have the best odds would be SDSU. They haven’t looked great so far, but it’s early and they are usually very solid.

I think N Texas will be very tough, but I’m looking forward to how the team responds after today. They know they let one get away.

Guy on radio said he expected regression from Utah State this year. Not sure anybody saw that happening though..

UNLV should be able to play on even terms physically with them. They played them close last year..SJSU is good, but if that's not a game you think UNLV can win, then I'm not sure where you find 6 wins and bowl eligibility..

SDSU does not look good this year. Defense hasn't been as good as in the past, and their offense is pretty anemic right now..
The usual top MWC teams are bad this year. CSU, USU, SDSU and BSU. BSU have a decent defense, their O is bad. Fresno and San Jose are no joke of teams. Unfortunately, UNLV will be playing both teams. This UNLV team is capable of beating any team. The entire team and coaching staff need to get it together.

Last edited:
The usual top MWC teams are bad this year. CSU, USU, SDSU and BSU. BSU have a decent defense, their O is bad. Fresno and San Jose are no joke of teams. Unfortunately, UNLV will be playing both teams. This UNLV team is capable of beating any team. The entire team and coaching staff need to get it together.

I don't think the staff called a bad game. Held Cal to three points in the second half... I thought the play calling on offense was fine the execution wasn't there...

Guy on radio said he expected regression from Utah State this year. Not sure anybody saw that happening though..
Last year, USU came out on top of pretty much all of their close games. Basically the opposite of what happened to us. I’m not too surprised they have taken a step back to reality.

Based on current MWC results, I think the only games where we’ll have a real tough shot of winning are AFA and Fresno (which are both at home). Doesn’t mean that we’ll take care of the rest, but on paper we should have a chance in all of those games.

I dont think they fell apart.. Cal overloaded the protection didn't they?

I was extremely impressed with UNLV OL and DL through the entire game. Both did a great job barring a couple plays. Secondary needs help still. Lot more positive than negative in the game for me. But 4 chances to take the lead (getting thr ball down 14-20 4 times) and losing at thay score sucks.
On the final drive with Cal never brought more than 4 and got pressure all three downs running a simple twist game. They created pressure on the prior drive using overload blitzes. But that last drive never more than 4 and no zone blitz or weird angles. Just a twist.

Reactions: j. spilotro
Other than AF and ND (despite their bad loss) we have a shot at every game. Hopefully 6 but even 5 would be the right direction. Next year would expect a bowl. This year it would be gravy.

Other than AF and ND (despite their bad loss) we have a shot at every game. Hopefully 6 but even 5 would be the right direction. Next year would expect a bowl. This year it would be gravy.
I am still predicting a 8 wins season, despite losing two of our best D players.

Last year, USU came out on top of pretty much all of their close games. Basically the opposite of what happened to us. I’m not too surprised they have taken a step back to reality.

Based on current MWC results, I think the only games where we’ll have a real tough shot of winning are AFA and Fresno (which are both at home). Doesn’t mean that we’ll take care of the rest, but on paper we should have a chance in all of those games.

Completely agree..

Reactions: j. spilotro
On the final drive with Cal never brought more than 4 and got pressure all three downs running a simple twist game. They created pressure on the prior drive using overload blitzes. But that last drive never more than 4 and no zone blitz or weird angles. Just a twist.

The O-Line is probably the weakest unit on the team right now.

Looking at this board, MWC must be loaded with top 20 teams, instead of garbage results I see something Ward putting 55 on Reno, Hawaii smells, UNM and Utah state, CSU suck, just garbage conference.
Air Force, Fresno then Boise and that's it, Aztecs stink this yr.