ADVERTISEMENT

QB Commit

What/Who/Where the hell is Campbell!? Oh man. Some one said it best that this is the Cody Doolin of football.

Ok. So let's take a look at what we are getting. I'm trying to think positively, watched the YouTube highlight and he's a true duel threat QB vs understandably lesser competition. However, Marion took a QB like this (related to a certain NFL QB) in his freshman season and turned him loose for 2500 yards passing and 700 rushing woth 26 TDs...
So we get a really experienced QB (will be 6th year) so hopefully no dumb forced errors, someone who statistically performed similar to Maiava, hand selected I assume by Marion and will have free reign in the offense. His running is definitely a lot more natural than Maiavas and it appears he can also throw a pretty deep ball. So there's the positives....

I have my doubts how these skills translate vs bigger and faster defenses as there just isn't a sample size for that.

Ok. So let's take a look at what we are getting. I'm trying to think positively, watched the YouTube highlight and he's a true duel threat QB vs understandably lesser competition. However, Marion took a QB like this (related to a certain NFL QB) in his freshman season and turned him loose for 2500 yards passing and 700 rushing woth 26 TDs...
So we get a really experienced QB (will be 6th year) so hopefully no dumb forced errors, someone who statistically performed similar to Maiava, hand selected I assume by Marion and will have free reign in the offense. His running is definitely a lot more natural than Maiavas and it appears he can also throw a pretty deep ball. So there's the positives....

I have my doubts how these skills translate vs bigger and faster defenses as there just isn't a sample size for that.
Positives. At least 1, 25+ yard scamper per game. Will extend plays to get White open more. Opponents will need to account for his running and that will open up the field for receivers.

Reactions: LVRebel2000
While the MW will be a step up it’s not insurmountable for him, let’s not get ahead of ourselves. The signing was not who we hoped but he is already more dynamic of a runner than the last guy and might be just as good of a passer. Campbell did not have our RB’s or White so there is that. Now add the other WR’s we just signed and Balungay at TE and he/we may be just fine. If Marion thinks so then so be it and we all know our OC ain’t going to be wasting his time with just anyone at QB because he always has one eye on the P4!

Last edited:
While the MW will be a step up it’s not insurmountable for him, let’s not get ahead of ourselves. The signing was not who we hoped but he is already more dynamic of a runner than the last guy and might be just as good of a passer. Campbell did not have our RB’s or White so there is that. Now add the other WR’s we just signed and Balungay at TE and he/we may be just fine. If Marion thinks so then so be it and we all know our OC ain’t going to be wasting his time with just anyone at QB because he always one eye on the P4!
I was just watching Saban talk about his loss to Michigan and he was talking about how not many people are seeing that offenses are tougher to defend than ever.

The reason being is that teams push the tempo and no huddle. Not a new concept but teams are finding guys that can play multiple positions. You can move fast and change formations on the fly, the defense will be confused and there will be a misalignment or mismatch somewhere.

You need tweeners. The TE we signed from Kansas State, can play in the backfield to block or run, as well as TE. Expect him to move around A LOT. Similarly, our running backs can move into the slot, we saw Dejesus move around etc.

You need a QB not only spot the mismatch but move on quickly to the next play. It’s a hire wire act but if done correctly, can lead to a lot of success. I think Hajj is a decent signing, a veteran that can be that general on the field. In the few interviews I’ve seen him give on YT, he’s very confident and wants to lead.

I was just watching Saban talk about his loss to Michigan and he was talking about how not many people are seeing that offenses are tougher to defend than ever.

The reason being is that teams push the tempo and no huddle. Not a new concept but teams are finding guys that can play multiple positions. You can move fast and change formations on the fly, the defense will be confused and there will be a misalignment or mismatch somewhere.

You need tweeners. The TE we signed from Kansas State, can play in the backfield to block or run, as well as TE. Expect him to move around A LOT. Similarly, our running backs can move into the slot, we saw Dejesus move around etc.

You need a QB not only spot the mismatch but move on quickly to the next play. It’s a hire wire act but if done correctly, can lead to a lot of success. I think Hajj is a decent signing, a veteran that can be that general on the field. In the few interviews I’ve seen him give on YT, he’s very confident and wants to lead.
Last sentence is very important. Maiava had the trust of his teammates, but did he want to lead all the time?

Reasonable concerns.

If he's being handed the reigns and his only competition is possibly Bo and Ochoa, not super thrilled with the prosect of that from a depth perspective.

Last edited:
Something to add; our new QB commit allegedly had offers from Liberty, Buffalo, Tulane, and virginia tech.
Interesting list. Most of those schools had very good quarterback play this year. Salter (Liberty) and Drones (Tech) are returning next year. Don’t mean to knock our new QB but I imagine they were looking at Hajj as a backup?

Interesting list. Most of those schools had very good quarterback play this year. Salter (Liberty) and Drones (Tech) are returning next year. Don’t mean to knock our new QB but I imagine they were looking at Hajj as a backup?
Remember Salter was in transfer portal for a few days.

Remember Salter was in transfer portal for a few days.
What are you hinting at? JM is one of the best QB's in the portal now. His cost may have doubled by waiting the others out. I know Miami, along with others, are getting seriously desperate for even a mediocre QB at this point. So much so, that if this was a move by JM to get more money out of us, he may have priced us out of the equation all together.

What are you hinting at? JM is one of the best QB's in the portal now. His cost may have doubled by waiting the others out. I know Miami, along with others, are getting seriously desperate for even a mediocre QB at this point. So much so, that if this was a move by JM to get more money out of us, he may have priced us out of the equation all together.
Miami is desperate and if Maiava goes there he will want to transfer again after seeing how far Miami has fallen and his weaknesses may become magnified at a place like that because they are far from what they use to be. His money guy will get his piece of the pie but his client will get the short end of the stick!

Last edited:
I was hinting that the Liberty offer to our new qb could have been during the short window Salter was in the portal so the Liberty offer may not have been as a backup. Hard to believe a player as old as our guy would go anywhere to be a be a backup.

Miami is desperate and if Maiava goes there he will want to transfer again after seeing how far Miami has fallen and his weaknesses may become magnified at a place like that because they are far from what they use to be. His money guy will get his piece of the pie will his client will get the short end of the stick!

Bingo...

And that's assuming he even wins the job...

Reactions: SilverSpoon
UNLV struggled mostly in regards to the offensive line protecting the QB, and the secondary being too slow and out of position leaving the WR's of the other teams wide open. It appears the UNLV coaching staff is bringing in the players to fill those holes. At the point UNLV needs a serviceable QB that can work within the system. I believe UNLV has QB's currently on the team that could fill in nicely with the system that UNLV has as long as the current coaching staff stays intact or at least mostly intact.

Bingo...

And that's assuming he even wins the job...
I completely agree. The QB portal is thinning. JM may be worth the gamble to a few P5 teams that are willing to over pay. He may be worth it. He may not be. The desperate are running out of options. The G5 have surprisingly won the QB battles. Which is music to my ears, outside of the luck of Boise State.

UNLV struggled mostly in regards to the offensive line protecting the QB, and the secondary being too slow and out of position leaving the WR's of the other teams wide open. It appears the UNLV coaching staff is bringing in the players to fill those holes. At the point UNLV needs a serviceable QB that can work within the system. I believe UNLV has QB's currently on the team that could fill in nicely with the system that UNLV has as long as the current coaching staff stays intact or at least mostly intact.
We still need this, no offensive lineman signed yet, we need guys who can play next year not hs guys so preferably from the portal!

We still need DL and Edge guys too!

Reactions: bcvegaspt
I completely agree. The QB portal is thinning. JM may be worth the gamble to a few P5 teams that are willing to over pay. He may be worth it. He may not be. The desperate are running out of options. The G5 have surprisingly won the QB battles. Which is music to my ears, outside of the luck of Boise State.

I know some of my posts make it sound like I'm super down on Maiava. Or he's gone now so he suddenly sucks.

I think he's good, just has some flaws.

If he takes to coaching, is a student of the game, he could become a solid QB at a P4 school.

If he doesn't, he'll be in the portal again next year..

Except UNLV wasn't bad at pass protection. They were 30th in the country in fewest sacks allowed.
I said OL, did not mention pass protection?
You alway need to keep recruiting and OL and DL are areas you need to be strong in, starters and depth! The last two games we played what happened to our vaunted rushing attack? The guys ups front got pushed around, that can’t happen. As I said, we need OL, DL and Edge starters and depth!

Last edited:
I said OL, did not mention pass protection?
You alway need to keep recruiting and OL and DL are areas you need to be strong in, starters and depth! We need OL, DL and Edge starters and depth!

I didn't say you did. Just pointed out they were good in that area.

Edge/DL are my biggest concern.

OL is serviceable but needs a body or two to improve run game.

I'm liking this commit a lot. The days of getting a transfer or a JC kid with a smidgen of this kids numbers and talents are now unacceptable. I remember the days when we were praising the staff for getting someone half as good.

Odom has made us all believers. CKK has made us a football school.

Miami Hurricanes just signed an FCS Quarterback. Propenburger or something.

Guess they are a poverty program as well.
Comparing us to a power 5 team. They can overcome a few random non D1 players since every other is top tier players. Hard to overcome our main guy when the rest of the program also is a crapshoot that we need to get extremely lucky with as it is. Comparing apples to oranges, not even a close comparison.

Only at unlv does the qb we say isn’t good enough signs with Georgia and then we sign his replacement from the California penal league. 🤮

We will always be mediocre
I don’t think most believed Maiava wasn’t good enough to be here. There were a few but most wanted him here.

There are many reasons Georgia would sign him other than finding a new starting QB, and if Maiava has a chance to play at Georgia he should go. Best of luck to him, but I feel bad for him and those who influence his athletic life. If GA needed a new starting QB Big Dave would have sent his son.

I have a feeling we’ll be okay. Also we won’t always be mediocre. For most of my life we’ve been well below mediocre.

Think no matter what happened, Maiava was gone. I’m excited that he went somewhere we won’t ever have to face off against him. Good luck to him.

On another note, has Doug hit the portal? Is he planning on transferring out or is he going to stick around to compete for the top spot?

If Doug sticks around, it won't be at QB. He could go the Caleb Herring route and switch to a stretch TE or WR who can mix into the offense, maybe b8de your time or take advantage of an opening due to injuries....Or he goes elsewhere

Think no matter what happened, Maiava was gone. I’m excited that he went somewhere we won’t ever have to face off against him. Good luck to him.

On another note, has Doug hit the portal? Is he planning on transferring out or is he going to stick around to compete for the top spot?
Doug has not hit the portal as of yet. I think it makes sense for him to stay. He won't be handed a QB1 job anywhere in FBS. Freel has not portaled yet either from what I was told (as of last Friday).

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT