ADVERTISEMENT

Post-Season

TarkisGod

Lottery Pick
Dec 17, 2005
Our neighbors to the north made a quick exit in the big Dance. But the Mountain West is well-represented in the lesser tourneys.

Teams in the NIT, CBI & CIT have all advanced by one game. This evening we have two NIT games of note. Boise St, who staged a comeback win vs Utah in their first game, find themselves as a 7½-point dog at Illinois. The Illini are a team in flux, as their HC has been fired. They grabbed Brad Underwood from Oklahoma State, immediately after the Cowboys were eliminated in the first round of the NCAA's by Michigan. Underwood will be in the stands, but not on the bench for tonight's game.

In another NIT game, Colorado State entertains Cal St-Bakersfield after the Rams knocked off the College of Charleston 81-74 in their first round match-up. Larry Eustachy's squad is a 5½-point favorite at home.

Meanwhile, in a CBI tilt, Wyoming is a 9½-point favorite in Laramie vs UM-KC. Wyoming defeated Eastern Washington 91-81 in their opener.

Let's go Mountain West! We need to show that maybe we weren't as bad a league as advertised. A decent showing in some of these lesser tourneys could help.

On a side note, I'm always on the lookout for creative team names. Tonight we have a CBI matchup between the Loyola-Maryland Greyhounds visiting the Coastal Carolina Chanticleers. According to the dictionary, a chanticleer is a rooster. But the Roosters doesn't have the same ring to it. Go Chanticleers!
dancing-chicken.gif

Go Rebels!

On a side note, I'm always on the lookout for creative team names. Tonight we have a CBI matchup between the Loyola-Maryland Greyhounds visiting the Coastal Carolina Chanticleers. According to the dictionary, a chanticleer is a rooster. But the Roosters doesn't have the same ring to it. Go Chanticleers!
dancing-chicken.gif

Coastal Carolina used to be affiliated with the original USC, who are the Gamecocks. So their name is a nod to that affiliation, which they kept even after the split.

Coastal Carolina used to be affiliated with the original USC, who are the Gamecocks. So their name is a nod to that affiliation, which they kept even after the split.
I noticed the poultry connection between the University of South Carolina and Coastal Carolina. I wondered if the state was actually known for it’s chickens?

In any event, recapping the results from the “lesser” tournaments, the NIT was not kind to it’s Mountain West participants. Boise State took it on the chin vs Illinois, 71-56. The Illini led wire-to-wire. Colorado State had a similar experience against Cal State-Bakersfield, although their demise was a bit worse, as they were humiliated on their home-court, 81-63. So, there will be no MW representative at Madison Square Garden for the NIT.

Wyoming, on the other hand, is alive and well in the CBI. They disposed of Eastern Washington 72-61 on Monday and followed that with a 74-68 victory over Utah Valley on Wednesday, also at home. They are now poised for a best-of-three playoff for the title. Care to guess who they will be matched against for the CBI title? None other than the Coastal Carolina Chanticleers!

I’ve professed my affection for the “roosters”, but I’ll have to support the Mountain West when push comes to shove. They play one game at each team’s home. They will meet on March 27th in Carolina and on the 29th in Laramie. Should there be a need for a third match, Wyoming gets the nod at home, on March 31st. So, their chances are good.

I’m not sure anyone remembers, or even knows in the first place, who the CBI champion might be. How many knew that UNR was last year's CBI champion? Not me. Apparently the Mountain West is a CBI powerhouse.

But the Cowboys are still playing, so that’s something. Good for them.
wyoming-cowboy-logo2.jpg

Go Rebels!

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT