ADVERTISEMENT

UNLV men picked to finish in the middle of Mountain West pack

Doneoett

National Player of the Year
Jun 15, 2015
I am expecting a top 4 finish or am I way off base?

UNLV’s men’s basketball team was picked to finish sixth in the annual preseason Mountain West poll released Thursday, a standing that would be unlikely to result in selection into the NCAA Tournament.

Finishing first per the conference’s coaches and media members is 2022-23 national runner-up San Diego State. The Aztecs received 25 of a possible 31 first-place votes to top Boise State (four first-place votes), New Mexico (one) and UNR (one). Colorado State is wedged between the Wolfpack and the Rebels, who finished 19-13 last season and seventh in the Mountain West with a 7-11 mark.

UNLV freshman point guard Dedan Thomas Jr. was honored as the preseason Freshman of the Year. The Las Vegas native and Liberty alum is expected to start for the Rebels this season.

Reactions: 1Tripoda
Good. Hopefully they take that into the season with the motivation to prove them wrong. CKK seems to have put a good squad together. Now he needs to show he can coach them to better than a middling finish.

Reactions: LVRebel2000
Good. Hopefully they take that into the season with the motivation to prove them wrong. CKK seems to have put a good squad together. Now he needs to show he can coach them to better than a middling finish.
And then we are always beside ourselves when somehow the media is pretty close.

I think they’re way off this time (again). I don’t think it’ll give our guys extra motivation or anything like that.

God, I really hope not. A finish like that and we get to through what would probably be an uninspiring search.

And then we are always beside ourselves when somehow the media is pretty close.

I think they’re way off this time (again). I don’t think it’ll give our guys extra motivation or anything like that.

God, I really hope not. A finish like that and we get to through what would probably be an uninspiring search.
If we do finish 6th - how much longer will KK get? We were tied for 4th when Munchies was canned.

I think that besides San Diego St. the gap within the next 5 (Boise St., New Mexico, UNR, UNLV, Colorado St.) is razor thin but the fact we've been so spectacularly mediocre for so long is why we're picked 6th. We can finish anywhere from 2nd to 6th. Kevin can't afford any lapses and needs to pin down an effective rotation quickly and definitively before conference play. No sitting on clearly talented players(Keyshawn Hall for ex) until late in the season.

If we do finish 6th - how much longer will KK get? We were tied for 4th when Munchies was canned.
A finish as poor as sixth, I think he’d be done to be honest. We’ve been over this before - AD’s make/break their careers with hires, fires and fundraising. It appears he scored well with canning Arroyo and hiring Odom. Fundraising has been good. I’m sure he’d rather KK succeed, makes things easier. But make a good hoops hire on the tail of a good football hire … he’d be a hot commodity.

Unless the MWC gets six teams in the NCAAT.

I get it, a lot of new faces this year.

But this is the best class of Kruger's tenure, at least it in initial rankings.

I think Kalib Boone should be newcomer of the year. DT obviously freshman of the year.

I think UNM can be tough, it seems like their backcourt have been there for 6 years now. Boise is well coached, but talent wise they don't scare me. UNR same. Especially how they were curbstomped during their undeserved first four game.

SDSU is SDSU. But I think we have a really good argument to be right there for that second spot in my obviously biased opinion. Especially from a talent perspective. I think having actually scoring threats down low will finally give this team some much needed balance.

UNLV BB has won 3 tourney games in 32 years.

We used to be a BB school. Grown adults, 32 year olds have been alive for 3 wins. When does this change? I have 2 nephews born and raised in LV both in college neither at UNLV. Neither grew up giving a rats ass about UNLV sports, they went to games, my brother took them every week to football and many BB games but they don’t care and it’s not just them UNLVs dysfunction lost a generation.

We used to be a BB school. Grown adults, 32 year olds have been alive for 3 wins. When does this change? I have 2 nephews born and raised in LV both in college neither at UNLV. Neither grew up giving a rats ass about UNLV sports, they went to games, my brother took them every week to football and many BB games but they don’t care and it’s not just them UNLVs dysfunction lost a generation.

To put it in perspective, in the late in 1980s during the Rebels' heyday we would be the equivalent of those middle-aged farts talking about the glory days of Oscar Robertson and the Cincinnati Bearcats during the 1950s. How sad is that?

It’s a great point. We did blow through a huge chunk of our lifetimes and the entire lifetime of some younger fans with only three more NCAAT wins than Air Force, San Jose and Pawtucket State.

It’s part of the reason for the huge frustration. Because we lost it. Forever. And won’t get it back.

On the plus side, for UNLV, you can now redefine success. You can ask for more patience from the fans without much blowback. You can promote the uninspiring and all forgiving slow growth and get away with it.

Reactions: Doneoett
It’s a great point. We did blow through a huge chunk of our lifetimes and the entire lifetime of some younger fans with only three more NCAAT wins than Air Force, San Jose and Pawtucket State.

It’s part of the reason for the huge frustration. Because we lost it. Forever. And won’t get it back.

On the plus side, for UNLV, you can now redefine success. You can ask for more patience from the fans without much blowback. You can promote the uninspiring and all forgiving slow growth and get away with it.
I liked this post but it sickens me that this is the truth.

I am expecting a top 4 finish or am I way off base?

UNLV’s men’s basketball team was picked to finish sixth in the annual preseason Mountain West poll released Thursday, a standing that would be unlikely to result in selection into the NCAA Tournament.

Finishing first per the conference’s coaches and media members is 2022-23 national runner-up San Diego State. The Aztecs received 25 of a possible 31 first-place votes to top Boise State (four first-place votes), New Mexico (one) and UNR (one). Colorado State is wedged between the Wolfpack and the Rebels, who finished 19-13 last season and seventh in the Mountain West with a 7-11 mark.

UNLV freshman point guard Dedan Thomas Jr. was honored as the preseason Freshman of the Year. The Las Vegas native and Liberty alum is expected to start for the Rebels this season.
A finish as poor as sixth, I think he’d be done to be honest. We’ve been over this before - AD’s make/break their careers with hires, fires and fundraising. It appears he scored well with canning Arroyo and hiring Odom. Fundraising has been good. I’m sure he’d rather KK succeed, makes things easier. But make a good hoops hire on the tail of a good football hire … he’d be a hot commodity.

Unless the MWC gets six teams in the NCAAT.
Always good to keep the Kruger family around UNLV. Let's hope KK does well this year. I think UNM and SDSU could be 1a and 1b, they are that talented. I think UNLV will NOT be far behind them...

Reactions: unlove
Honestly I think the MW media phone it in... I feel a down year coming for SDSU and Boise. Why you might ask, SDSU will have a massive post-season hangover. They over performed and reached their peak. Nothing to build for...
Boise- bound to eventually fall off. It happens to alot of places and Rice has had a razor thin margin of over rated squads succeeding because there wasn't much of anyone else to do it.

The media is predictably lazy. Just write the same 5 or 6 teams in top half and the rest don't really matter. Not a thought into depth, roster, etc. Not saying we deserve to be given more credit till we earn it, But 6th gets KK canned. And if that's what the media actually thinks preseason of the team, we're either way off on the talent analysis or they're lazy..

Reactions: billd99s
Honestly I think the MW media phone it in... I feel a down year coming for SDSU and Boise. Why you might ask, SDSU will have a massive post-season hangover. They over performed and reached their peak. Nothing to build for...
Boise- bound to eventually fall off. It happens to alot of places and Rice has had a razor thin margin of over rated squads succeeding because there wasn't much of anyone else to do it.

The media is predictably lazy. Just write the same 5 or 6 teams in top half and the rest don't really matter. Not a thought into depth, roster, etc. Not saying we deserve to be given more credit till we earn it, But 6th gets KK canned. And if that's what the media actually thinks preseason of the team, we're either way off on the talent analysis or they're lazy..
Unfortunately the homers on this board ( 90% of us including me) have been off on talent analysis for at least 15 years. I think SDSU, NM, and Boise are all the team to beat. If we play really well I guess we can get 4th place. But 6th place is @ 9 losses. Just a few unexpected close losses could easily place us 6th.

With the media, there are some really good beat writers in league, some pretty lazy ones. In the end, they dont know more about hoops than anybody else who watches league regularly. We all have eyeballs - and as long as you minimize your biases, as long as you are willing to look at things with some honesty … you’re going to see things pretty clearly. The rah rah crap … yeah, I get that, but it pulls you from truth …

That said, the media tends to be pretty damn close with the collective group voting. I think they’re way wrong this season … I don’t see UNLV finishing lower than 4th. I’d love for them to finally miss badly on UNLV, but they usually don’t. Except when they pick us to do well.

Unfortunately the homers on this board ( 90% of us including me) have been off on talent analysis for at least 15 years. I think SDSU, NM, and Boise are all the team to beat. If we play really well I guess we can get 4th place. But 6th place is @ 9 losses. Just a few unexpected close losses could easily place us 6th.
Unexpected close losses don’t happen nearly as much if you have a strong home court. We haven’t had that in nearly a decade and that’s absolutely been a problem. Not a team on earth is worried about the Mack floor anymore.

This ranking is a comment on CKK as much as it is on our 20-yr history. We have the talent to compete. If anything it should be a chip on Kevin’s shoulder.

SDSU has Butler. An NBA quality guard who can knife you in the back when you think you have them stopped. BSU has size, experience, and toughness. UNM has small guards who are new guards will give them a lesson in Big 12 and SEC defense. Third place will be a home and home losses vs BSU, SDSU and maybe one more. Our size is going to give people fits especially our bench size. I see SDSU with two losses, BSU with three and UNLV with three or four. Pre season we will have some problems but by January, lights out when you come to the Mack. Of course, suspensions and injuries could change the pre season outcomes, but MWC we are competitive with Isaiah, new big guys, new and old guards.

I don't think this is the year BSU falls off. Rice has put together a pretty good roster. They'll lose a few key pieces after this season so, unless Rice pulls a few rabbits out of the transfer portal hat, next year would be the year for a tail off.

I don't think this is the year BSU falls off. Rice has put together a pretty good roster. They'll lose a few key pieces after this season so, unless Rice pulls a few rabbits out of the transfer portal hat, next year would be the year for a tail off.
Could see Rice taking the Washington job if it opens up.

Its always fun watching a True PG as a star recruit lead a team. Most fail so I don't see us finishing any higher than 3rd or 4th (at best). However I do not see us finishing lower than CSU and UNR either - no matter what happens with Dedan. Remember Greedy Daniels and Marc Dickel when they were babies. it was-different era- players nowadays get way more reps before they hit freshman college play. Who else was set to lead as a freshman? Marcus Lawrence ? ? my memory is getting foggy I think we will go as Dedan goes - the same reason we haven't won anything in many years - we haven't had a good PG- KK was the last one - and he was a senior by then. - vague guess- I think we will finish 4th- That wouldn't be that bad- lets shoot for post season play even if its the NIT - 20 win record - Beat UNR twice or 3x - thats a good year- entertain and give the people of LV a team they can be proud of that fights and battles and plays hard - that would be a great year.

Its always fun watching a True PG as a star recruit lead a team. Most fail so I don't see us finishing any higher than 3rd or 4th (at best). However I do not see us finishing lower than CSU and UNR either - no matter what happens with Dedan. Remember Greedy Daniels and Marc Dickel when they were babies. it was-different era- players nowadays get way more reps before they hit freshman college play. Who else was set to lead as a freshman? Marcus Lawrence ? ? my memory is getting foggy I think we will go as Dedan goes - the same reason we haven't won anything in many years - we haven't had a good PG- KK was the last one - and he was a senior by then. - vague guess- I think we will finish 4th- That wouldn't be that bad- lets shoot for post season play even if its the NIT - 20 win record - Beat UNR twice or 3x - thats a good year- entertain and give the people of LV a team they can be proud of that fights and battles and plays hard - that would be a great year.
The difference hers is that Dedan gets to come in with a team full of experience. There will be a learning curve with playing with each other and getting into the system, but it certainly helps having 4 and 5 year players, most who have started in power leagues, around you.
He doesn't need to create everything, just facilitate.

Didnt Alabama run a true Freshman last year? Jaden Bradley... Went like 6.5ppg and 3.1 assists..
and no I wouldnt call making the NIT a "good season".. That's a terrible standard to set despite how bad our program has been recently...

Didnt Alabama run a true Freshman last year? Jaden Bradley... Went like 6.5ppg and 3.1 assists..
and no I wouldnt call making the NIT a "good season".. That's a terrible standard to set despite how bad our program has been recently...
NIT would keep KK his job. Any less and It's questionable. For me, as a fan, I don't want to go through a new coach so somehow we need at least third place.

NIT would keep KK his job. Any less and It's questionable. For me, as a fan, I don't want to go through a new coach so somehow we need at least third place.
I'm with you. If we lose KK, I'm sure we'd lose most of our current team as well, unless they had a home run hire already teed up. I have no idea who that would be, or at what cost. Would rather just win baby!

Reactions: bcvegaspt
We're already going to lose most our team though... We have 7 5th/Srs yr guys and 3 Jrs... if this team as constructed can't make the tournament then when...
Yeah, there would be a complete overhaul, but it sure worked out si far for football, but a huge turnover is already coming regardless of how we finish

We're already going to lose most our team though... We have 7 5th/Srs yr guys and 3 Jrs... if this team as constructed can't make the tournament then when...
Yeah, there would be a complete overhaul, but it sure worked out si far for football, but a huge turnover is already coming regardless of how we finish
Same thing was said after last year and even the year before. Overall based on eligibility next year will return and bring in even more talent already committed than the past 5 or 6 years.

The difference hers is that Dedan gets to come in with a team full of experience. There will be a learning curve with playing with each other and getting into the system, but it certainly helps having 4 and 5 year players, most who have started in power leagues, around you.
He doesn't need to create everything, just facilitate.
the "difference" has yet to be determined - you HOPE there is a difference- Yet Experience can't be gifted - it has to be earned - the maturation process is going to be fun to watch - he is going to take his lumps - he is a baby - Kid barely shaves - Ton of weight on his shoulders - lets hope you are right that he is going to be "different" odds are he will be much much better next year.

UNLV is picked in the middle like the pickle condiments? We are the ham in the ham sandwich? We're between two buns? Not ideal....No sir.

UNLV was picked 9th in the MWC Football preseason poll. Boise was pick no. 1 and SDSU no. 4. Doesn’t look too accurate of predictions right now.

the "difference" has yet to be determined - you HOPE there is a difference- Yet Experience can't be gifted - it has to be earned - the maturation process is going to be fun to watch - he is going to take his lumps - he is a baby - Kid barely shaves - Ton of weight on his shoulders - lets hope you are right that he is going to be "different" odds are he will be much much better next year.
The fact that we have an experienced team that had games at the highest level is NOT to be determined. That is fact.
What is to be determined is how we play this season. So far under CKK we have run the offense through one guy Hamilton and Harkless for the most part. But we have been somewhat weak offensively other than those 2 players.
This season has so many more offensive weapons. Do we share the ball more? Can we utilize the talent?
If Dedan is expected to do everything like Hamilton and Harkless then yes, I would agree with you. But if we play more of a dynamic offense that can utilize some of these weapons then I do not. I hope we can share the ball more, but i guess we will see

UNLV was picked 9th in the MWC Football preseason poll. Boise was pick no. 1 and SDSU no. 4. Doesn’t look too accurate of predictions right now.
I think given how quickly rosters change and how there is less team-player years nowadays, predictions are just going to be less accurate. In the past, they’ve been relatively accurate. But with so many short term changes between years, it’s a lot of guesswork because one thing that is super difficult to assess is chemistry.

For a school with a strong philosophy like SDSU hoops, it’s a bit easier to guess because they have a strong culture/foundation, players have to fit into the mindset in order to get the schollie. But many other schools (like UNLV) are relying solely on talent/necessity/best available more, which is more of a mixed bag.

I think given how quickly rosters change and how there is less team-player years nowadays, predictions are just going to be less accurate. In the past, they’ve been relatively accurate. But with so many short term changes between years, it’s a lot of guesswork because one thing that is super difficult to assess is chemistry.

For a school with a strong philosophy like SDSU hoops, it’s a bit easier to guess because they have a strong culture/foundation, players have to fit into the mindset in order to get the schollie. But many other schools (like UNLV) are relying solely on talent/necessity/best available more, which is more of a mixed bag.
True and the media really doesn’t pay attention at all and goes with more popularity than anything else. Only a cursory analysis. In contrast, I was watching a short podcast by two guys that pay attention with a channel called the BIG Mountain that follow the BIG and MWC. Odd combo. But that’s what they do. The predict UNLV mid pack in football in the MWC at 6-6. But with a caveat. They felt UNLV could be the sleeper team in the MWC this year and do could do much better. They we’re the only ones to makes such a prediction that I know of.

Reactions: Meister_Rebel
True and the media really doesn’t pay attention at all and goes with more popularity than anything else. Only a cursory analysis. In contrast, I was watching a short podcast by two guys that pay attention with a channel called the BIG Mountain that follow the BIG and MWC. Odd combo. But that’s what they do. The predict UNLV mid pack in football in the MWC at 6-6. But with a caveat. They felt UNLV could be the sleeper team in the MWC this year and do could do much better. They we’re the only ones to makes such a prediction that I know of.
Neverette was the sole first place vote for UNLV in the preseason poll. Everyone laughed, including most of us.
Now we have a looong way to go for that to come to fruition, but at least it seems mildly attainable now

Oscar Bellfield did a great job as a freshman. I believe when he was a freshman he got us that win over Louisville at their house with that last basket.

Neverette was the sole first place vote for UNLV in the preseason poll. Everyone laughed, including most of us.
Now we have a looong way to go for that to come to fruition, but at least it seems mildly attainable now
Oscar Bellfield did a great job as a freshman. I believe when he was a freshman he got us that win over Louisville at their house with that last basket.
Yep. On NYE over Samardo Samuels, I believe.

Reactions: Meister_Rebel
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT