ADVERTISEMENT

MW coach salaries

dcut03

Rebel Legend
Gold Member
Jun 16, 2011
So apparently Odom is not the highest paid coach in the MW?

It was advertised as such when he was hired, and I do not remember hearing about extensions or raises to Brennan and Bohl. So not sure what happened there.
At year 7 Odom's base salary tops out at 2.25 mil as it is currently structured.

Mountain West Football Head Coach Salaries.

2023 MW Football HC Salaries

$2.34M—Bohl, Wyo
$2.30M—Brennan, SJSU
$1.78M—Odom, UNLV
$1.75M—Avalos, BSU
$1.70M—Norvell, CSU
$1.55M—Tedford, Fresno St
$1.38M—Anderson, USU
$1.27M—Hoke, SDSU
$950K—Wilson, Nev
$700K—Gonzales, UNM
$600K—Chang, Hawai'i

Air Force, N/A
— SuperWest Sports (@SuperWestSports) October 3, 2023

• Wow
Reactions: LocoRebel
Coach O salary is ok for this year but more importantly are the coordinators salaries. Are their salaries equal their worths? By the end of the season, we should know better.

Reactions: LVRebel2000
Coach O salary is ok for this year but more importantly are the coordinators salaries. Are their salaries equal their worths? By the end of the season, we should know better.
Not sure about DC... but as OC, Marion I believe took a pay cut to come be the full time OC here from the 400k he was getting as WR/co-OC at Texas.

Hopefully we see the year play out with team success and the attention of the major boosters around the program can make up some difference in market vs what we can offer to retain guys. But - as has been said elsewhere - cart before the horse.

Also - I completely missed Bohl and Brennan getting the bumps there. Guessing those are both new contracts, not just built in increases (unsure, didn't look). Cause I don't think anybody was close to $2m actively, so those would be steep built in increases. Kind of gives me hope that the difference between lower-mid P5 pay and upper G5 pay isn't as great as I thought.

If Odom keeps us rolling and gets us to a bowl, I hope Harper is smart enough to give Odom and extension and up the money to try and keep him here. I know many will say you don't do that off of just one year performance but considering how long we have sucked, UNLV needs to be proactive and do what they can.

I don’t believe Odom will leave for less than a power five job. Each year there are 15 or less power five openings. It will take more than one year success for him to get one of these jobs. Marion should be the one we look to lose.

Reactions: dcut03 and reagan21
If Odom keeps us rolling and gets us to a bowl, I hope Harper is smart enough to give Odom and extension and up the money to try and keep him here. I know many will say you don't do that off of just one year performance but considering how long we have sucked, UNLV needs to be proactive and do what they can.
If we win 8 games this season, the money will be there to up him to $2.5 and increase his assistants pool as well.

I don’t believe Odom will leave for less than a power five job. Each year there are 15 or less power five openings. It will take more than one year success for him to get one of these jobs. Marion should be the one we look to lose.
As most of us believe, I’ll be surprised if Marion is here more than one season.

Marion could leave for a power 5 OC job, or maybe a lower level HC job.

If he leaves it will be for a step up. He did take a paycut to come here. If he is looking at a higher paying OC job, then hopefully we could try to give him a pay raise?

If he leaves it will be for a step up. He did take a paycut to come here. If he is looking at a higher paying OC job, then hopefully we could try to give him a pay raise?
I am curious what Odom's plan would be if he leaves. Does Marion have a protege that he's training to take his place with this offense once he leaves UNLV? Would Odom stick with the Gogo system, assuming it's effective for the rest of the season? Or would his system go with him, and Odom would bring in a new OC with a new system?

I am curious what Odom's plan would be if he leaves. Does Marion have a protege that he's training to take his place with this offense once he leaves UNLV? Would Odom stick with the Gogo system, assuming it's effective for the rest of the season? Or would his system go with him, and Odom would bring in a new OC with a new system?
Marion's recruiting seems to be solid. It would be hard to replace that. That might be the biggest loss if he go goes.

It was a 2 year rental folks... he'll be here this year and next, win the conference and go to a NY6 bowl in that time and completely change the trajectory of the program forever... none of the staff are West Coast based and if you create successful programs, someone will come knocking... enjoy it and expect the program to make the next hire just as impactful with a much more attractive program

While I do think it’s been beneficial for us, I doubt Odom is married to it or can only succeed with it. He’s been around a while, he has his own ideas, strong contacts, etc. That’s not to diminish Marion.

I think a foundation, attitude, identity … is more important than a singular offensive style.

And I don’t think our fans are married to a particular style with football either. We just want to see wins.

While I do think it’s been beneficial for us, I doubt Odom is married to it or can only succeed with it. He’s been around a while, he has his own ideas, strong contacts, etc. That’s not to diminish Marion.

I think a foundation, attitude, identity … is more important than a singular offensive style.

And I don’t think our fans are married to a particular style with football either. We just want to see wins.
Agreed, but if we build up the team for a couple years and are successful, it could be tricky to change schemes and have the same success. Maybe not, but if it ain't broke...

If he leaves it will be for a step up. He did take a paycut to come here. If he is looking at a higher paying OC job, then hopefully we could try to give him a pay ra

He stays nowhere longerthan a year.

MARION’S COACHING FILE
2023-PR UNLV – Offensive Coordinator, Quarterbacks
2022 Texas – Passing Game Coordinator, Wide Receivers
2021 Pittsburgh – Wide Receivers
2020 Hawai’i – Wide Receivers
2019 William & Mary – Offensive Coordinator, Quarterbacks
2017-18 Howard – Offensive Coordinator, Quarterbacks
2016 Oklahoma Baptist – Running Backs
2015 Arizona State – Offensive Quality Control Assistant
2014 Waynesboro Area (PA) HS – Head Coach
2013 St. Patrick-St. Vincent (CA) HS – Head Coach
2012 The Harker School (CA) HS – Wide Receivers
2011 West Valley (CA) CC – Wide Receivers

MARION’S COACHING FILE
To be fair, he's also never been given free reign as the top coordinator at a D1 school... so you have to leave in order to get promoted. At this point the only natural jump would be full time HC as I doubt a major program would give him the kind of free range that Odom does with his OCs... and that might require more than just a single successful year here.

MARION’S COACHING FILE
Geez does he even unpack his suitcase

To be fair, he's also never been given free reign as the top coordinator at a D1 school... so you have to leave in order to get promoted. At this point the only natural jump would be full time HC as I doubt a major program would give him the kind of free range that Odom does with his OCs... and that might require more than just a single successful year here.
He is here to prove to everyone that his unfiltered offense can be effective at a d1 level. He was not allowed to fully utilize it at previous FBS stops.

He is proving it so far, even without the vertical passing component.

But how much would it take for an obvious upgrade of a job?

We may not know until the end of the season. Most of our wins have been against poor teams. And Vandy isn't great. If we can do some damage against really solid defenses in Fresno, AFA, and Wyoming then that could tell the world something.

But I think he only leaves for p5 OC job where he is allowed to fully run his offense ( so likely not an offensive minded HC), or a HC job at the low D1 level. I don't think he takes a FCS job, unless its a high level FCS program.

MARION’S COACHING FILE
When is this guy going to get tired of packing his bags again after only one year?

He is here to prove to everyone that his unfiltered offense can be effective at a d1 level. He was not allowed to fully utilize it at previous FBS stops.

He is proving it so far, even without the vertical passing component.

But how much would it take for an obvious upgrade of a job?

We may not know until the end of the season. Most of our wins have been against poor teams. And Vandy isn't great. If we can do some damage against really solid defenses in Fresno, AFA, and Wyoming then that could tell the world something.

But I think he only leaves for p5 OC job where he is allowed to fully run his offense ( so likely not an offensive minded HC), or a HC job at the low D1 level. I don't think he takes a FCS job, unless its a high level FCS program.
And does he really want to be a HC? I'm sure there are significantly different responsibilities for a HC vs. an OC. I'm not saying he does or doesn't, but that some people may like one vs. another.

Reactions: 1Tripoda
If the pays is the same, where do you think Coach Marion would go or chose?

1. Remain at UNLV as AHC ...Edit: Coach O is the first D1 coach that given him free reign at the OC and recruited his own players. His players are coming, too. Karson Gordon is a great prospect QB. A bunch of WR coming.
2. P5 OC
3. G5 HC
4. NFL assistant

1. Remain at UNLV as AHC ...Edit: Coach O is the first D1 coach that given him free reign at the OC and recruited his own players. His players are coming, too. Karson Gordon is a great prospect QB. A bunch of WR coming.
2. P5 OC
3. G5 HC
4. NFL assistant
He stays. He wants full control, no P5 coach gives you that ultimately. He eventually goes to be a HC after 2 years of good offense

2. P5 OC
3. G5 HC
4. NFL assistant

That’s a great question that I always think about. If you are at a high P5 school as a coordinator you are making at least the same salary of not more as you’ll get at a G6 as HC. You are also living the good life travel wise, amenities etc. A lot of those guys don’t have to drop to a G6 to get a HC job and a few even go to some pretty big name programs.

So if your only or quickest option to be a HC is to take a UNLV type job do you do it or wait? I think I’d rather wait it out at a high P5 and try to go the route of a Kirby Smart, Dabo Sweeney, Dan Lanning, Sark, Kiffin, etc who all got really good gigs for their first HC job than go G6 with a few exceptions.

IMO, the next two games are critical for the direction of the program. CSU is no longer a push-over, I have heard they found their signal caller. If the Rebs managed to win these two games. Which mean that the Rebs engine is humming at full throttle. Going to be some kind of a game @Fresno.

IMO, the next two games are critical for the direction of the program. CSU is no longer a push-over, I have heard they found their signal caller. If the Rebs managed to win these two games. Which mean that the Rebs engine is humming at full throttle. Going to be some kind of a game @Fresno.
Regardless of their record CSU has never been an easy game for us, they beat us one time when they were 0-7!

No! My point is, we can never take the Rams football team lightly!
I hate SDSU and Reno about as much as I can hate the opponents. CSU have a special place reserved in hell for them, their coach absolutely rapes Reno for money and players. Nobody get to abuse Reno like that except UNLV. So yes, I wanted to see the Rebs butt f*cked the Sheep raws and cranked up the scores.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT