ADVERTISEMENT

Zags Expected to Join PAC for Hoops

Now, I ask you …. Do you have confidence in the UNLV admin?
I trust Harp. He’s been thoughtful and strategic in his decisions and purposeful in execution. Whitfield seems to listen to him and has his back. Right now that’s what we need. So far so good. It is UNLV so we always fear waking up tomorrow to a notice of major NCAA violations, a few key players involved in something that gets them suspended, or who knows what that will cut our knees out from under us (perhaps we already dodged it with Sluka), but ever since Harp took over our path has been well managed. Gotta hope that continues bc there really is no other option.

Lotta good thoughts and lots of rightful concern.

Yes this helps with the PACs appeal. They needed a bit of positive news and this is good for them. Doesn’t help football AT all and they still need another full time member… and the pickings are slim.

And that’s just to get them to 8, which isn’t ideal.

But kudos to them for enhancing their MBB profile.

They’re still niche AF. As someone pointed out their a Northwest regional conference and their still a G5 and in my opinion aren’t going to be viewed as the best G5, which is what they were hoping.

It’s all also 2 years away and they’ve all locked themselves in with the deals they’ve made. What’s going to happen in the next 2 to 4 years? The balls in motion already, decisions that knock over dominoes are already being made, and they’ve cemented themselves in.

They are most definitely a better conference than us and it isn’t close.

But the haul of cash we’re getting combined with the cash we’re not losing (from leaving) is MASSIVE and it’s basically available now. At a bare minimum we’re talking about $28 million operating difference over the next two seasons, and possibly more.

We'll know in a few years.

Nobody should be claiming any type of victory at this point. Saying UNLV 100% made the right or wrong call.

Way to early..
We may not have to wait a few years we may know in 6 months. If Odom leaves because Tarleton State doesn’t appeal to him then we lost.

Why would he leave when his path to the CFP will obviously be easier in this conference. 🙂
I don't think it will be easier our SOS will be at the level of Liberty (not quite but close) and an undefeated Liberty I don't think is getting in ahead of one loss schools with better schedules. The new PAC12 will have a leg up over us. If UNLV goes undefeated beating Tarleton St, UTEP and Air Force et al and Boise goes undefeated in the PAC12 beating OSU, WSU and FSU it will be Boise in the CFP not us.

I don't think it will be easier our SOS will be at the level of Liberty (not quite but close) and an undefeated Liberty I don't think is getting in ahead of one loss schools with better schedules. The new PAC12 will have a leg up over us. If UNLV goes undefeated beating Tarleton St, UTEP and Air Force et al and Boise goes undefeated in the PAC12 beating OSU, WSU and FSU it will be Boise in the CFP not us.

Buddy I 100% agree.

That's was snark on my part.

Reactions: Boston Rebel 2
I don’t think any of this will matter in 5 years. This is my assumption, once the ACC’s media contract is up I think those teams bolt. There will be one final shake except it will be monumental. The BIG and the SEC will pick and choose schools from the ACC and the BIG12 creating two super conferences of 40-44 schools in which they will move away from the NCAA and do their own thing. NIL won’t be a thing, these kids will be on a salary for the school. It’ll be just like the NFC vs AFC and I’m sure this will be the same for basketball as well. Sure the remainder of programs will try and create their own thing, but it’ll be considered a lower division.
UNLV is cash strapped with no real donor base that’s gotta be why we stayed. Most of the contributions that have been made over the years aren’t alumni and have been hold overs from the basketball glory days hoping to somehow get back to relevancy. Sure the goal is the BIG12 and I hope it happens, but I’m not naive to the fact that we are still on this uphill battle with square wheels.

I also think the current situation is temporary. After the next big shake up we’ll either be in a P4 or likely invited to the PAC as it tries solidify itself as the next best conference after the big boys.
This is basically my position right now. The situation is going to go wonky as soon as the ACC figures out what it's going to become. Whatever pathway gives me the least resistance to join a P4 is where I'm at now. I'm not happy about it, but I"m not depressed either.

Reactions: LVRebel2000
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT