ADVERTISEMENT

New OC

If nothing else this is an offense that can be run by different types of QBs. More athletic runner, you can do more zone read stuff, if it's more of a pocket guy you can go to more RPO stuff from the same looks and formations.

I'm a proponent of running an offense that is QB friendly, meaning most decent to good QBs can run it or recruiting/drafting multiple QBs with a similiar skill set to fit an offense. I think different styles of QBs can run this offense with the tweaks being minor.

This system was born out of creating mismatches regardless of personnel. That being said, is does seem like the QB at least needs to be a threat to run. So he cannot be a complete stiff.

I think Bailey is a good enough runner, but someone like Brock Osweiler even Tom Brady would not be a good fit. A classic pure pocket passer would not be ideal.

But I think everyone in our QB room right now could do it. With some tweaks of course.

Reactions: LVRebel2000
Hopefully we bring in another QB to compete next year. I don't trust the ones we have.
I totally get this, but for some reason I think that our QBs are better than they have shown.

Nearly all of them were decently rated out of HS, and all of them struggled in nearly the exact same way. That kind of "coincidence' Makes me blame offense, at least a little.

I think an offense like this will make pre snap reads easier, also with easier check downs in the passing game. Allowing guys to shine a bit more.

Some concern with Brum, though looking like the best fit skill set wise. I think people being labelled injury prone can be a bit unfair at times. But, that being said players with either concussion or lower back injury history are a bigger risk and he has both.

He sure is cycling through profile pics of Rebel legends so if nothing else, he's aware of UNLVs history...

Said today they'll be implementing the full Go-Go offense, which I'm going to sit and watch with eagerness because it's the first time at D1 level that it'll be implemented 100%. Not just packages or plays but the entirety... so we're getting a unique offensive system that doesn't have alot of D1 level tape on it. What's not to like about that

I totally get this, but for some reason I think that our QBs are better than they have shown.

Nearly all of them were decently rated out of HS, and all of them struggled in nearly the exact same way. That kind of "coincidence' Makes me blame offense, at least a little.

I think an offense like this will make pre snap reads easier, also with easier check downs in the passing game. Allowing guys to shine a bit more.

Some concern with Brum, though looking like the best fit skill set wise. I think people being labelled injury prone can be a bit unfair at times. But, that being said players with either concussion or lower back injury history are a bigger risk and he has both.
Brum is a very talented athlete. But, he has missed games in each of the two years. He runs well, but he has had his problems with injuries. Given the new offensive plan, is that going to expose him to an increased risk of injury? Do we need someone more durable?

Brum is a very talented athlete. But, he has missed games in each of the two years. He runs well, but he has had his problems with injuries. Given the new offensive plan, is that going to expose him to an increased risk of injury? Do we need someone more durable?
Yes to both. He was a serviceable QB against mediocre defenses. He relied too often on scrambling to pick up yardage and missed WRs regularly. His passing numbers are average at best, but because hes been the better QB of the past 4 or 5 seasons, it makes him look better than he actually is. That and injury history is why Bailey or maybe someone the new staff brings on will likely take over as QB1. Even under Arroyo, he needed the other QBs on the roster to flop to be named QB1. If Arroyo simplified his offense in camp to allow Bailey to get up to speed, Bailey beats him out as QB1.

Yes to both. He was a serviceable QB against mediocre defenses. He relied too often on scrambling to pick up yardage and missed WRs regularly. His passing numbers are average at best, but because hes been the better QB of the past 4 or 5 seasons, it makes him look better than he actually is. That and injury history is why Bailey or maybe someone the new staff brings on will likely take over as QB1. Even under Arroyo, he needed the other QBs on the roster to flop to be named QB1. If Arroyo simplified his offense in camp to allow Bailey to get up to speed, Bailey beats him out as QB1.
I totally agree with you. Had Arroyo made some changes to His offensive game plan we may have been in a bowl game. I am really looking forward to seeing something different from our offense. If we become a match up nightmare for Defenses next year will be very interesting.

My biggest concern beyond Injury with DougieB in the Go-Go is that when they say you need a quarterback that can distribute that includes making option and RPO reads which historically haven't been Dougie's strength. Can this staff coach that up--because nobody ever really got any read option stuff right under Arroyo.

Reactions: Bullmastiff 1
This guy left Texas. He was going to be Arch Manning's passing game coordinator. Imagine the doors that would have opened for him. I'm glad he's on our side now.
A little bit of a strange career move. Another year at Texas and he could have a million dollar job in the SEC. Guy must have a lot of confidence in himself. I was nervous after Petrino left but I love this hire.

A little bit of a strange career move. Another year at Texas and he could have a million dollar job in the SEC. Guy must have a lot of confidence in himself. I was nervous after Petrino left but I love this hire.
Might've just wanted to get out from under Sark and show his system and Barry offered that to him. Shelf life can be short when you to be "guru and creative genius" to just "guy who created the system". I think the Go-go is starting to take off like RPO and spread and my guess is he sees 100% implementation as a way to showcase it before someone else adapts and becomes the "new kid" on the block with it.

If it works, I dont think he'll be here long... But that can be said for a lot of our staff and Im counting on/ perfectly ok with that

I hope we can bring Boda or someone else who’s an “athletic arm talent” for competition. I’m not sold on Doug staying healthy and definitely not sold on just handing things over to Bailey!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT