ADVERTISEMENT

New OC

Love this hire. Been following him for years. Rising star in the coaching world. We got a good one. Probably won't be here for long but I'm fine with that.

I love that Odom is open to younger guys on his staff. 36 year old OC and 29 year old DC. Guys that can relate to players and recruit. Guys that play an aggressive system that players love.

Love this hire. Been following him for years. Rising star in the coaching world. We got a good one. Probably won't be here for long but I'm fine with that.

I love that Odom is open to younger guys on his staff. 36 year old OC and 29 year old DC. Guys that can relate to players and recruit. Guys that play an aggressive system that players love.
Or look at it opposite way.. Odom won't be here long, if things works out... guy could be a good hire to replace him

I’m very excited about this hire. Last year when OU was looking for a new OC I started digging into BM. Even if he’s only here a couple years it’s better than having Bobby P embarrass our school by being associated.

Hopefully here over a couple weeks.

Or look at it opposite way.. Odom won't be here long, if things works out... guy could be a good hire to replace him
This is what was so good about the Petrino as OC hire, in my opinion. I agree that if Odom is even reasonably good here, 6 or 7 wins a year, he will be gone and if you have a good OC/DC you will have two immediate options for new HC in the building. This new OC sounds like he has his hands on something innovative and we can definitely use something new around here when it comes to offense!

Reactions: LVRebel2000
Pitt alum here. I can tell you the day he left everyone in the program was happy. He was a disruptive self promoter. He was here one year and he alienated the staff. Our oc spot was open and even before the job was posted he took to twitter basically saying he was owed it (after 1 season as wr coach) and deserved the job. Narduzzi told him he wasn't a candidate and he went off on twitter. He was shown the door and before he left poisoned the wr room. Was the HUGE contributing factor for the addison transfer as he had addisons ear and talked trash. He failed to get addison to Texas as usc offered more but he was 100% the catty cataylst.
Unlv will be his 8th team in as many years and NOONE anywhere misses him.
Unlv is my second team and I HATE THIS HIRE. The go go is bs. It's a an option read with one different formation (an extra rb lined unbalanced)with new made up terminology

This is how this will go. He will be at Unlv max 2 seasons mostly likely one. He will wear out his welcome quickly because he is an overbearing narcissist and can't get along with other coaches because he treats everyone like he is the smartest guy in the room. The odds of him departing because he did and awesome job... about 2%.

One thing interesting about the hire (in no way saying it's bad, just in terms of football norms). Is Odom is a defensive minded guy. Marion brings a very up tempo offense running a ton of plays/playing fast.

Typically defensive guys hate that because it can lead to their defense being on the field a lot if the offense is struggling.

Think DC Buddy Ryan punching OC Kevin Gilbride during a game.🙂

"It’s unclear how the unexpected news will impact current players on Texas’ roster, who appeared to have a strong connection with Marion."

One thing interesting about the hire (in no way saying it's bad, just in terms of football norms). Is Odom is a defensive minded guy. Marion brings a very up tempo offense running a ton of plays/playing fast.

Typically defensive guys hate that because it can lead to their defense being on the field a lot if the offense is struggling.

Think DC Buddy Ryan punching OC Kevin Gilbride during a game.🙂
Odom has had high powered offenses around him... At Mizzou, they set SEC record with Drew Lock... won't be an issue

Reactions: CRhodes1983
Pitt alum here. I can tell you the day he left everyone in the program was happy. He was a disruptive self promoter. He was here one year and he alienated the staff. Our oc spot was open and even before the job was posted he took to twitter basically saying he was owed it (after 1 season as wr coach) and deserved the job. Narduzzi told him he wasn't a candidate and he went off on twitter. He was shown the door and before he left poisoned the wr room. Was the HUGE contributing factor for the addison transfer as he had addisons ear and talked trash. He failed to get addison to Texas as usc offered more but he was 100% the catty cataylst.
Unlv will be his 8th team in as many years and NOONE anywhere misses him.
Unlv is my second team and I HATE THIS HIRE. The go go is bs. It's a an option read with one different formation (an extra rb lined unbalanced)with new made up terminology

This is how this will go. He will be at Unlv max 2 seasons mostly likely one. He will wear out his welcome quickly because he is an overbearing narcissist and can't get along with other coaches because he treats everyone like he is the smartest guy in the room. The odds of him departing because he did and awesome job... about 2%.
Can't speak to alienating himself from staff or self promoter but as an up and coming coach I can't fault him for wanting to climb the ladder rungs and get a OC and eventually a HC job. His offense has trickled into alot of playbooks apparently at all levels and the only way for him to get the real recognition for it would be advancing.
As for the narcissistic aspect, I think alot of "brillant" minds fall onto this category and it will be interesting to see how that plays out in Vegas.

Reactions: CRhodes1983
Marion was the head coach of Saint Patrick Saint Vincent in Vallejo, California in 2013. In his first year he led the Bruins to a first round home playoff loss, just one year after the team finished with a 1–9 record. Marion resigned and moved to Pennsylvania to take another head coaching position at Waynesboro Area Senior High School in 2014. He led the Indians to their first winning season and divisional title in 22 years. His Indians also won 'Team of the Year' as selected by WHAG-TV.

During Marion's tenure at Waynesboro High School, he developed the GoGo offense, which incorporates principles of old-school triple-option offenses with modern spread concepts.[1] In his first game as Howard's offensive coordinator, Marion's offense helped the FCS Bison defeat UNLV on September 13, 2017.[2] The win by the 45-point underdog Bison was the largest point-spread upset in college football history.[3]

Brennan was a quality control coach for Arizona State in 2015 & in 2016 was a running back coach at Oklahoma Baptist University, then served as Howard University's offensive coordinator in 2017 and 2018. In 2019, he followed head coach Mike London from Howard over to the College of William and Mary where he began serving as offensive coordinator.

Marion resigned from his position at William & Mary to serve as the wide receivers coach on Todd Graham's inaugural staff at Hawaii for the 2020 season.[4]

On February 15, 2021, Marion joined the staff at Pittsburgh as the wide receivers coach.

On December 31, 2021, Marion was named passing game coordinator and wide receivers coach at the University of Texas.

I see some bad blood at Pitt between HC and Mation on the web.

Texas loved the guy.

We will see.

Marion was the head coach of Saint Patrick Saint Vincent in Vallejo, California in 2013. In his first year he led the Bruins to a first round home playoff loss, just one year after the team finished with a 1–9 record. Marion resigned and moved to Pennsylvania to take another head coaching position at Waynesboro Area Senior High School in 2014. He led the Indians to their first winning season and divisional title in 22 years. His Indians also won 'Team of the Year' as selected by WHAG-TV.

During Marion's tenure at Waynesboro High School, he developed the GoGo offense, which incorporates principles of old-school triple-option offenses with modern spread concepts.[1] In his first game as Howard's offensive coordinator, Marion's offense helped the FCS Bison defeat UNLV on September 13, 2017.[2] The win by the 45-point underdog Bison was the largest point-spread upset in college football history.[3]

Brennan was a quality control coach for Arizona State in 2015 & in 2016 was a running back coach at Oklahoma Baptist University, then served as Howard University's offensive coordinator in 2017 and 2018. In 2019, he followed head coach Mike London from Howard over to the College of William and Mary where he began serving as offensive coordinator.

Marion resigned from his position at William & Mary to serve as the wide receivers coach on Todd Graham's inaugural staff at Hawaii for the 2020 season.[4]

On February 15, 2021, Marion joined the staff at Pittsburgh as the wide receivers coach.

On December 31, 2021, Marion was named passing game coordinator and wide receivers coach at the University of Texas.

I see some bad blood at Pitt between HC and Mation on the web.

Texas loved the guy.

We will see.
At one stop there was a difference of opinion and egos being involved, led to a rift, it happens! Odom must have some exposure with the guy somewhere in the past. If Odom hired him, I’m willing to let it play out on the field before I call the guy a cancer!

Texas love him, I'm good with it. People can and do change through mistakes..
Yeah, I agree with that sentiment. Especially if he joined a staff and mightve been promised the OC job if it opened up. Texas fans are shocked he isn't an OC at a P5 school and Sark apparently really likes the guy.

I mean we just had Petrino for 3 weeks, he can't be any more a cancer than that lol...

Watched a lot of YouTube videos on the Marion today... from personal/profile videos to GoGo offense origins, development, and install. I am really excited by this hire.

But I recognize we either get 1-2 years or it's a sign of bad things. He *should* be able to move enough from personnel and Xs and Os standpoints to get us going. Feels like he was meant for UNLV. Here is a quote for a Texas Longhorn youtuber who profiled him regarding his CA high school team (first season as head coach):

"Marion didn't want to tell the kids they simply weren't good enough, even though that was likely true. He had to develop an offense that could create advantages against traditionally bigger, faster, stronger, and more stable programs."

I'm excited to see what he can do with full control over our offense, given that he was a CO-OC (passing game coordinator) under Sark...so he was probably what 20% of input at Texas?

I would take any and all OL, DL, DE, CB, LB and WR backups!
From other P5 schools, especially SEC schools! Arkansas-Odom/Scherer, Missouri-Odom and Texas-Marion need to work the phones and twitter. Even their fall back recruit guys from JC and high school, the 2-3 stars guys would be good.

From other P5 schools, especially SEC schools! Arkansas-Odom/Scherer, Missouri-Odom and Texas-Marion need to work the phones and twitter. Even their fall back recruit guys from JC and high school, the 2-3 stars guys would be good.

Agree.

Obviously need talent, but system/scheme fit is equally important, especially on the defensive end.

That goes without saying that scheme fit is important! But there are guys who fit the scheme from P5 and then there’s guys who fit the scheme from non P5… I just like the former better than the latter!

I just trying to wrap my head around a shotgun option offense that has heavy run and pass?
I don't remember the Howard game much other than we couldn't stop them.

At our level, with our peers … if we have something unique, unorthodox, just a different look … as long as we excel at it … I’m all for it. Jrob could go between the tackles and grind it, he had a bigger line and some NFL guys.

We don’t.

You see successes with - I don’t want to call them gimmick - different, rare, new look/innovative styles. We’ve seen it. Even AFA gives you fits with what they do. UNM defensively when they were decent. When TCU was in conference they were tiny but they were aggressive speedsters that flew from every angle.

Blake Boda just got offered by Coastal Carolina and I feel like he is going to decommit from us and commit to them. Hopefully Marion has a QB he's bringing with him to compete or has connections with a hs qb.

At our level, with our peers … if we have something unique, unorthodox, just a different look … as long as we excel at it … I’m all for it. Jrob could go between the tackles and grind it, he had a bigger line and some NFL guys.

We don’t.

You see successes with - I don’t want to call them gimmick - different, rare, new look/innovative styles. We’ve seen it. Even AFA gives you fits with what they do. UNM defensively when they were decent. When TCU was in conference they were tiny but they were aggressive speedsters that flew from every angle.
Yeah, uniqueness that makes preparation tough, defenses like to be able to identify a look and know what is coming. At our conference level, the amount of guys who will be playing next level is small and with that comes the ability to identify and stop... if you can run 3 types of plays with multiple variations from same look it'll drive the defense mad... it's a matchup nightmare if executed well. And since it's going to be fully integrated rather than parts of a whole, I expect it to be really unique and give teams fits across the board

I just trying to wrap my head around a shotgun option offense that has heavy run and pass?
I don't remember the Howard game much other than we couldn't stop them.
Here's how you should look at it. The offense uses triple option principles combined with a west coast and deep shot passing offense.

The plays he runs are not unique. The run scheme is inside/outside zone, counter, power, gt counter, etc. with read and triple option. Why the run and pass games work so well is not the plays but the formations they are run from. That's where the triple option principles come in. The offense is designed to make the defense wrong by not aligning correctly at the snap. Just like the traditional flexbone there are a lot of if/then decisions to be made at the line. But they are all based on the leverage created by the formations.

Or to put it most simply he uses formations and motion to create mismatches against the defense.

I don’t know what the go go offense is..but I know what a go go dancer is.

• Haha
Reactions: RebelsDen
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT