ADVERTISEMENT

Maiava

unlove

Rebel Legend
Feb 24, 2004
JM has been simply incredible as a redshirt freshman stepping into the QB role after DB went down. He’s talented but not necessarily in a spectacular way. His poise may be his valuable asset and fits very well into Odom’s style as well as the team’s demeanor. Seemingly a perfect fit and exactly what the team and program needed this year. Love it even more that he is a “local” kid having played at Liberty HS.
This all said, has anyone else noticed a slight trepidation in his game lately? He seems tentative at times. Yesterday’s interceptions came from poorly thrown balls as if JM was thinking rather than reacting. I could be reading more into this than should be. When JM doesn’t have his feet set is when his passes tend to be under-thrown or off-target (which I suspect happens to most QBs) but in yesterday’s first half he didn’t seem himself and I’ve seen hints of this the last few games. It seemed to fully show up in the first half.
As an aside, having DB come in and make a big run was great to see, including Marion lining up DB as a wide-out on the following play. It’s tantalizing to think how the coaching staff can begin to utilize DB and make it even more difficult to read UNLV’s offense.

JM has been simply incredible as a redshirt freshman stepping into the QB role after DB went down. He’s talented but not necessarily in a spectacular way. His poise may be his valuable asset and fits very well into Odom’s style as well as the team’s demeanor. Seemingly a perfect fit and exactly what the team and program needed this year. Love it even more that he is a “local” kid having played at Liberty HS.
This all said, has anyone else noticed a slight trepidation in his game lately? He seems tentative at times. Yesterday’s interceptions came from poorly thrown balls as if JM was thinking rather than reacting. I could be reading more into this than should be. When JM doesn’t have his feet set is when his passes tend to be under-thrown or off-target (which I suspect happens to most QBs) but in yesterday’s first half he didn’t seem himself and I’ve seen hints of this the last few games. It seemed to fully show up in the first half.
As an aside, having DB come in and make a big run was great to see, including Marion lining up DB as a wide-out on the following play. It’s tantalizing to think how the coaching staff can begin to utilize DB and make it even more difficult to read UNLV’s offense.
I agree with u ,but he is a freshman

Reactions: RebelScrub
That 2nd Int was a poorly thrown ball. The first one was on a different level…it was confusing. Scramble drill and his WR was streaking up the sideline….he threw a ball without touch right to the chest of the DB.

He’s definitely a freshman and it shows at times. Without looking back, I feel that yesterday was his worst game of the year. However, end result is still better than anything we’ve gotten from the QB spot in years. Have to take the bad with the good. I’m glad he’s our QB.

Reactions: ckfitz and unlove
That 2nd Int was a poorly thrown ball. The first one was on a different level…it was confusing. Scramble drill and his WR was streaking up the sideline….he threw a ball without touch right to the chest of the DB.
It was confusing, because it looked like a touchdown in the making. Maybe it was supposed to be a hook? If it was, the pass wouldn't have been there though. It was a mindboggling INT.

Reactions: reagan21
It was confusing, because it looked like a touchdown in the making. Maybe it was supposed to be a hook? If it was, the pass wouldn't have been there though. It was a mindboggling INT.
The first one looked like an under thrown ball. If he get it to the WR, it would have been a TD. He'll get it.

There seemed to some sort of miscommunication. Lester was not looking for the ball and was taking off for the end zone. He is a rb so it's possible he did the wrong thing.
Jm was on the move and a bit under duress. I think he threw it earlier than he wanted to and just made a bad throw

On the first interception, all he needed to do was put some air under the ball and it was a TD, nothing complicated about it. He has played well but he is not anywhere near great. He needs to get better and he needs to be pushed by a credible backup in practice everyday! This is what truly good teams do!

Reactions: unlove
Given our history at the position most of us would be happy with his performance if he was a junior or senior. Other than maybe Herring what QB has done better than he has at UNLV since JT? To think he is a freshman...wow. God willing we have three more seasons of this kid at the most important position in the sport.

Given our history at the position most of us would be happy with his performance if he was a junior or senior. Other than maybe Herring what QB has done better than he has at UNLV since JT? To think he is a freshman...wow. God willing we have three more seasons of this kid at the most important position in the sport.
Didn’t have a ton of hope in the season when Brum went out. We were relatively ordinary against Bryant, crushed them as we should have … killed at Michigan, as expected …. When Doug went down vs Vandy … I figured it’d be a tough year fighting for 500. Of course Maiava led us back against Vandy, who sucks, but still SEC team and our resolve was tested and Jayden and the rest did a good job in rallying. That was an exciting game but not this monumental thing.

Then the running game took off and we rolled, not needing Maiava quite so much. He did fine, he was steady, just what we needed when the running game was bowling through people.

But then, starting probably with CSU, they just didn’t care about the QB, all out to stop the run. Only one touch down, but in FG position six times, thankfully we connected on all six.

But Jayden has always seemed to have the confidence. And he got better in this offense. Week by week. I did not expect this overall play from a freshman. Not lying, early on, I wanted Doug back fast, still want him back. But Maiava has earned all his time on the field. You can’t argue with 6-1 or 7-1 as a starter.

Kid threw for 329 yards and 2 TDs vs Air Force....
He's a redshirt freshman...
No, he's not hesitating, but yes he fell victim to the altitude causing a few balls to soar and what I believe were a couple either misreads or miscommunications... the Int I think was thrown as a hook route, WR ran the go... another was I think a 3rd down, WR took a high pass but couldn't bring it in, but if you look at the background, our TE was wide open directly behind him and was shocked that our WR tried an acrobatic catch... I don't think there's anything there

Reactions: LVRebel2000
Didn’t have a ton of hope in the season when Brum went out. We were relatively ordinary against Bryant, crushed them as we should have … killed at Michigan, as expected …. When Doug went down vs Vandy … I figured it’d be a tough year fighting for 500. Of course Maiava led us back against Vandy, who sucks, but still SEC team and our resolve was tested and Jayden and the rest did a good job in rallying. That was an exciting game but not this monumental thing.

Then the running game took off and we rolled, not needing Maiava quite so much. He did fine, he was steady, just what we needed when the running game was bowling through people.

But then, starting probably with CSU, they just didn’t care about the QB, all out to stop the run. Only one touch down, but in FG position six times, thankfully we connected on all six.

But Jayden has always seemed to have the confidence. And he got better in this offense. Week by week. I did not expect this overall play from a freshman. Not lying, early on, I wanted Doug back fast, still want him back. But Maiava has earned all his time on the field. You can’t argue with 6-1 or 7-1 as a starter.
He has mettle for lack of a better word. He isn't afraid to take chances even after mistakes. He has that reliever goldfish mentality I think. You need your QB to be like that. And the one major thing he has over Brumfield...as the expression goes the best ability is availability.

Kid threw for 329 yards and 2 TDs vs Air Force....
He's a redshirt freshman...
No, he's not hesitating, but yes he fell victim to the altitude causing a few balls to soar and what I believe were a couple either misreads or miscommunications... the Int I think was thrown as a hook route, WR ran the go... another was I think a 3rd down, WR took a high pass but couldn't bring it in, but if you look at the background, our TE was wide open directly behind him and was shocked that our WR tried an acrobatic catch... I don't think there's anything there
He’s had some of the most hairbrained interceptions this season.

But he’s certainly more than made up for it.

QB is such a funny position to play. You want to be able to react and not overthink, but missing coverage or getting duped by the defense makes that difficult at times.
Remember Doug started his career as a pure gunslinger. He wouldn't hesitate much and would make plays, but getting picked off can change you. He learned to be very careful with the ball, perhaps too careful. He could rely on his legs to make up for it, but still it potentially limited the offense.
Jaden has put the ball in danger all year long. More often than not a possible turnover didn't happen. His lack of hesitation has made big plays for us as well. Hopefully he will get better at reading defenses and make better decisions without losing confidence and hesitate to throw the ball.
The bomb to Ricky in the beginning was a perfect pass, but he was off more often than not last games. That crazy one handed catch by Seneca ( awesome to see that for him btw), a similar overthrown ball to Jacob for a first down that would have been a TD with a better throw. He may be thinking a bit more, which can be both good and bad. He needs to learn from his mistakes without losing confidence.

QB is such a funny position to play. You want to be able to react and not overthink, but missing coverage or getting duped by the defense makes that difficult at times.
Remember Doug started his career as a pure gunslinger. He wouldn't hesitate much and would make plays, but getting picked off can change you. He learned to be very careful with the ball, perhaps too careful. He could rely on his legs to make up for it, but still it potentially limited the offense.
Jaden has put the ball in danger all year long. More often than not a possible turnover didn't happen. His lack of hesitation has made big plays for us as well. Hopefully he will get better at reading defenses and make better decisions without losing confidence and hesitate to throw the ball.
The bomb to Ricky in the beginning was a perfect pass, but he was off more often than not last games. That crazy one handed catch by Seneca ( awesome to see that for him btw), a similar overthrown ball to Jacob for a first down that would have been a TD with a better throw. He may be thinking a bit more, which can be both good and bad. He needs to learn from his mistakes without losing confidence.
His accuracy was off against AF in particular but the last two games it has dropped off. I think Maiava will get better at reading defenses and cut back on some of those bad decisions. I think that was the case with the second pick not a bad throw but he misread the coverage was my guess. But the accuracy not sure what the cause of that is as you said maybe instead of reacting he is thinking which is throwing off his motion. That said I think he is still more accurate than Brumfield.

I coached against him last year when he was a senior at Liberty. While he was good in high school, I'm shocked how well has has been playing this year. The thing is they are not making him win games for them He just doesn't have to lose them. The staff has done a good job putting him in winnable situations. As his confidence grows, he is going to become real dangerous. Got a lot to work on, but man he has improved a ton since a year ago.

I coached against him last year when he was a senior at Liberty. While he was good in high school, I'm shocked how well has has been playing this year. The thing is they are not making him win games for them He just doesn't have to lose them. The staff has done a good job putting him in winnable situations. As his confidence grows, he is going to become real dangerous. Got a lot to work on, but man he has improved a ton since a year ago.
I didn’t see much of him in the spring. The reports I got on him were mixed, but certainly not any of excellence. Not that he was bad, but wasn’t standing out, a clear number 2.

He’s overachieved based on that … and what you saw too.

I didn’t see much of him in the spring. The reports I got on him were mixed, but certainly not any of excellence. Not that he was bad, but wasn’t standing out, a clear number 2.

He’s overachieved based on that … and what you saw too.
Yeah....he looks the part. Nothing really stood out to me last year watching him. Great job by the staff to get him to this level, and obviously a great job by Maiava being prepared and running with this opportunity.

He wasn't at Liberty in 2022, he was a freshman at UNLV who took a redshirt year. Maybe you are thinking 2021?

Even while he did have a good game against Air Force, he became the MWC freshman of the week for a fifth time. No other freshman has ever won more than three times in a week!

He has mettle for lack of a better word. He isn't afraid to take chances even after mistakes. He has that reliever goldfish mentality I think. You need your QB to be like that. And the one major thing he has over Brumfield...as the expression goes the best ability is availability.
What he has over Brum is the ability to hit a receiver over 10 yards.

Your boy was seeing ghosts. Red headed ghosts. 9 wins is pretty good. That usually takes 4 years for you to reach that number. San Jose is going to blow the doors off of you.

Your boy was seeing ghosts. Red headed ghosts. 9 wins is pretty good. That usually takes 4 years for you to reach that number. San Jose is going to blow the doors off of you.
At the rate things are going the football team could end up with more wins than the basketball team for this season!

• Haha
Happy Thanksgiving Wolf!!

How would you know what SJSU does since nobody ever goes to their games? If a tree falls in a forest and nobody is around, does it make a noise?
Dirt Work Fire Damage GIF by JC Property Professionals

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT