ADVERTISEMENT

New OC

Can't speak to alienating himself from staff or self promoter but as an up and coming coach I can't fault him for wanting to climb the ladder rungs and get a OC and eventually a HC job. His offense has trickled into alot of playbooks apparently at all levels and the only way for him to get the real recognition for it would be advancing.
As for the narcissistic aspect, I think alot of "brillant" minds fall onto this category and it will be interesting to see how that plays out in Vegas.
It's how he has gone about it
Guy is a an @sshat

It's how he has gone about it
Guy is a an @sshat
We’ll see how he does it at UNLV. We have tried everything except a true Spread offense when Sanford was here.

As of right now, our offense is in shambles.

I forgot, he beat us with Howard. That was pretty demoralizing..

Give him time, he’s a Rebel. But I do value your honest critique of the guy.

Reactions: NSU67
We’ll see how he does it at UNLV. We have tried everything except a true Spread offense when Sanford was here.

As of right now, our offense is in shambles.

I forgot, he beat us with Howard. That was pretty demoralizing..

Give him time, he’s a Rebel. But I do value your honest critique of the guy.
As a unlv fan I hope the team does well truly I do. I moved out of lv last year after 18 years and I went back to my homeland of PA and I still follow the rebels. I liked the caliber of the petrino hire just not the character. This hire, man...I saw the destruction he did and buyer beware. What I really don't like is that he brings zero stability and continuity to the program. It's not a long or even short term solution which to me doesn't really help the program. 8 programs in 8 years is insane. Don't hang your hat on that loss he gave unlv. That howard team was 7-4 . Their only games against fcs schools were Kent st and unlv and they were 1-1 in those. They lost to a good Richmond team but outside of that played no one

As a unlv fan I hope the team does well truly I do. I moved out of lv last year after 18 years and I went back to my homeland of PA and I still follow the rebels. I liked the caliber of the petrino hire just not the character. This hire, man...I saw the destruction he did and buyer beware. What I really don't like is that he brings zero stability and continuity to the program. It's not a long or even short term solution which to me doesn't really help the program. 8 programs in 8 years is insane. Don't hang your hat on that loss he gave unlv. That howard team was 7-4 . Their only games against fcs schools were Kent st and unlv and they were 1-1 in those. They lost to a good Richmond team but outside of that played no one
He's a position coach and now OC... it's not his job to be stable or create continuity. His job is to do it well enough that he gets promoted. As for "destruction" I'm not sure I see it that way... Pitt lost Pickett and star WR, the OC resigns then took job at Nebraska, and still went 9-4, which we haven't sniffed.. he's also highly regarded and frankly after digging around online, he's probably above what UNLV typically gets as a coordinator.

Reactions: CRhodes1983
He's a position coach and now OC... it's not his job to be stable or create continuity. His job is to do it well enough that he gets promoted. As for "destruction" I'm not sure I see it that way... Pitt lost Pickett and star WR, the OC resigns then took job at Nebraska, and still went 9-4, which we haven't sniffed.. he's also highly regarded and frankly after digging around online, he's probably above what UNLV typically gets as a coordinator.
The destruction is the mayhem in the wr room not the team (specifically addison) and his negative immature rants on social media which ultimately lead to his seperation,
If you aren't hiring coordinators with intention of them creating/adding to stability in the program then there is a large part of your problem. Any coach has to be hired with the intention they bring positivity and stability to their dept. They aren't hired to call plays punch in and punch out amd be there for just a year. You should know this already with carousel of coaching failures at unlv, but like I said it appears that is part of the problem. Hire band aids and you get bandaid results. So his last coordinator job was 6 years ago and with his overblown success there why has he been stuck In position coach jobs at places like Hawaii? Unlv was the only program that said okay in 6 years. Guys go from coordinators in a lower level to coordinators AR higher level every year...not marion

@caleco's - I don’t like hearing this but I appreciate honesty more than “rah-rah.” I hope that the leopard changes his stripes for UNLV’s sake.

Thank you
I hope so. It will start out great and you will see a sharp turn from him when and if something doesn't go his way

Reactions: bcvegaspt
So his last coordinator job was 6 years ago and with his overblown success there why has he been stuck In position coach jobs at places like Hawaii? Unlv was the only program that said okay in 6 years. Guys go from coordinators in a lower level to coordinators AR higher level every year...not marion
I dont really see this part as being quite right. Yes, coaches go from fcs coordinator to fbs coordinator. Of course thats the ideal trajectory. 6 years is the wrong number. He wad an OC in 2019. 3 seasons since then.

Howard OC to W&M OC. HC resigned after Marion's second year to take W&M job. Marion followed. He was 31(?)
W&M OC to Hawaii WR. I'm not a coach and never have been. If you want to coach at the FBS level, isn't going from W&M that upgrade? Todd Graham was the head coach at Hawaii. Graham was Marion's coach at Tulsa. There were 5 other Tulsa-adjacent coaches on the 2020 Hawaii staff.
Hawaii WR to Pitt WR. MWC -> ACC. That's an upgrade
Pitt WR to Texas PGC/WR. Another upgrade.

If he had waited it out for 2-3 more years for an P5 opportunity, maybe he gets it. If his goal is to he an FBS head coach or even just an FBS OC, he has achieved that part of it. At Texas, I'd guess he had extremely low expectations of becoming the head coach in a reasonable window. Maybe he could have in several years become the full time OC under an offensive head coach where he maybe doesn't really get to do his thing.

If we expect him to be at UNLV for 4 or 5 years, I think we're trippin'. 2 seasons and then maybe a chance at a p5 OC gig? That seems reasonable.

In my opinion, he's a 35 year old who rises and has taken advantage of opportunities to put his brand out there at increasingly higher levels or more impactful ways to his squad.

As to your mention of tirades on social media, I haven't seen it. Not a good look for an OC and if it's an issue under a no nonsense coach, then maybe he gets a chat.

Also, I have seen $400k as his salary at Texas. What that looks like at UNLV as OC, I have no idea. But it really does give the impression that UNLV is paying guys on this staff.

You saw the destruction from one perspective and the way Pitts HC cries on the regular, maybe there’s more issues within that program. Didn’t the HC trash the OC that went to Nebraska as well? Seems like there’s a common denominator.

Last edited:
I dont really see this part as being quite right. Yes, coaches go from fcs coordinator to fbs coordinator. Of course thats the ideal trajectory. 6 years is the wrong number. He wad an OC in 2019. 3 seasons since then.

Howard OC to W&M OC. HC resigned after Marion's second year to take W&M job. Marion followed. He was 31(?)
W&M OC to Hawaii WR. I'm not a coach and never have been. If you want to coach at the FBS level, isn't going from W&M that upgrade? Todd Graham was the head coach at Hawaii. Graham was Marion's coach at Tulsa. There were 5 other Tulsa-adjacent coaches on the 2020 Hawaii staff.
Hawaii WR to Pitt WR. MWC -> ACC. That's an upgrade
Pitt WR to Texas PGC/WR. Another upgrade.

If he had waited it out for 2-3 more years for an P5 opportunity, maybe he gets it. If his goal is to he an FBS head coach or even just an FBS OC, he has achieved that part of it. At Texas, I'd guess he had extremely low expectations of becoming the head coach in a reasonable window. Maybe he could have in several years become the full time OC under an offensive head coach where he maybe doesn't really get to do his thing.

If we expect him to be at UNLV for 4 or 5 years, I think we're trippin'. 2 seasons and then maybe a chance at a p5 OC gig? That seems reasonable.

In my opinion, he's a 35 year old who rises and has taken advantage of opportunities to put his brand out there at increasingly higher levels or more impactful ways to his squad.

As to your mention of tirades on social media, I haven't seen it. Not a good look for an OC and if it's an issue under a no nonsense coach, then maybe he gets a chat.

Also, I have seen $400k as his salary at Texas. What that looks like at UNLV as OC, I have no idea. But it really does give the impression that UNLV is paying guys on this staff.
I imagine the extra 300k from A&M went here...

But that's exactly my point. Neither coach is going to be here long enough to create "stability"... thats the next guys problem. All of them from top down are being hired to pull UNLV into next level, make program look good by winning a ton of games in next 2-3yrs and then doing what they do and moving to SEC or Big 12 jobs. That's what they're here for, nothing more (they're all Midwest/east coast guys)....

As for the rest, look at his life story and you might understand why he was in Addisons ear to get what he could now... Guy tore his ACL 3 times before getting any real money playing. If he was coaxing Addison to leave Pitt for larger NILs I don't blame him. Again I also can't fault the guy for wanting a better Job and to make a,name for himself before other more established coaches get credit for his offensive philosophy. It's all part of Big boy football and by the looks of our recent hires, even Petrino, we're trying to play that game for once

I imagine the extra 300k from A&M went here...

But that's exactly my point. Neither coach is going to be here long enough to create "stability"... thats the next guys problem. All of them from top down are being hired to pull UNLV into next level, make program look good by winning a ton of games in next 2-3yrs and then doing what they do and moving to SEC or Big 12 jobs. That's what they're here for, nothing more (they're all Midwest/east coast guys)....

As for the rest, look at his life story and you might understand why he was in Addisons ear to get what he could now... Guy tore his ACL 3 times before getting any real money playing. If he was coaxing Addison to leave Pitt for larger NILs I don't blame him. Again I also can't fault the guy for wanting a better Job and to make a,name for himself before other more established coaches get credit for his offensive philosophy. It's all part of Big boy football and by the looks of our recent hires, even Petrino, we're trying to play that game for once
That's a hilarious take

• Love
Reactions: RebelScrub
You saw the destruction from one perspective and the way Pitts HC cry’s on the regular, maybe there’s more issues within that program. Didn’t the HC trash the OC that went to Nebraska as well? Seems like there’s a common denominator.
Enjoy another shifty hire by your athletic Dept. Since Robinson it's been nothing but garbage. Think you would learn...wash rinse repeat

Here's how you should look at it. The offense uses triple option principles combined with a west coast and deep shot passing offense.

The plays he runs are not unique. The run scheme is inside/outside zone, counter, power, gt counter, etc. with read and triple option. Why the run and pass games work so well is not the plays but the formations they are run from. That's where the triple option principles come in. The offense is designed to make the defense wrong by not aligning correctly at the snap. Just like the traditional flexbone there are a lot of if/then decisions to be made at the line. But they are all based on the leverage created by the formations.

Or to put it most simply he uses formations and motion to create mismatches against the defense.

It's like when Chip Kelly was at Oergon and everyone was like 'look how innovative this offense is!'

In reality it wasn't all that innovative. Oregon would often run the same zone read play three or four times in a row the only difference might be which way a WR went in motion or which side they ran it to. What separated it was the pace they played at.

Not to say it was a simple offense, but it really didn't have a lot of intricate route trees or combinations.

Reactions: LVRebel2000
Here's how you should look at it. The offense uses triple option principles combined with a west coast and deep shot passing offense.

The plays he runs are not unique. The run scheme is inside/outside zone, counter, power, gt counter, etc. with read and triple option. Why the run and pass games work so well is not the plays but the formations they are run from. That's where the triple option principles come in. The offense is designed to make the defense wrong by not aligning correctly at the snap. Just like the traditional flexbone there are a lot of if/then decisions to be made at the line. But they are all based on the leverage created by the formations.

Or to put it most simply he uses formations and motion to create mismatches against the defense.
Yeah that helps.

You only get 1 play per snap, pretty much. You can't be both run heavy and pass heavy which is part of the reason I was confused.

He did say RB and WR "friendly" to be fair. But if you are pass heavy and with multiple back sets, I'm not sure how that can be RB friendly. If the running game is very effective, leading to regular chunk plays, I can see that being "RB friendly".

Offenses do not need to be too complicated to be effective. When Cam Newton was at Auburn, they ran 1 set 85% of the time, with the same dude in motion. They had 4-5 plays out of that set, but that's was it.

Does the QB run it much? Just curious based of our personnel.

Yeah that helps.

You only get 1 play per snap, pretty much. You can't be both run heavy and pass heavy which is part of the reason I was confused.

He did say RB and WR "friendly" to be fair. But if you are pass heavy and with multiple back sets, I'm not sure how that can be RB friendly. If the running game is very effective, leading to regular chunk plays, I can see that being "RB friendly".

Offenses do not need to be too complicated to be effective. When Cam Newton was at Auburn, they ran 1 set 85% of the time, with the same dude in motion. They had 4-5 plays out of that set, but that's was it.

Does the QB run it much? Just curious based of our personnel.
It's read option with 2 backs unbalanced in the backfield. That's it that's the difference. Great high school gimmick formation but no one i. College outside of unlv finds it translatable at the College level

It's read option with 2 backs unbalanced in the backfield. That's it that's the difference. Great high school gimmick formation but no one i. College outside of unlv finds it translatable at the College level
Well we are about to find out.

Odom has a history of having young, innovative OC's that have gone on to bigger better things. I trust his judgement on this.

I do appreciate your insight on the matter. I totally get your general hesitation with this move.

The fact that he has bounced around does not bother me too much. He has made upgrades every step of the way. I think we would have to be successful to move up yet again. If that means he is gone in a year again, it probably means a very good season for us next year

The new OC will have to provide good results if his goal is to be a Head coach. He will need coach Odom to give him a positive reference for future employment.

Enjoy another shifty hire by your athletic Dept. Since Robinson it's been nothing but garbage. Think you would learn...wash rinse repeat
I’m curious, is there any information online about the things that happened at Pitt? I did a quick search and only found one article that mentioned him leaving Pitt may be tied to him not being offered the OC job there.

With his departure from Texas, the worst reports that I could find is that players were surprised that he left, which makes sense. he may have indicated that he planned to stay. Seems to be pretty positive otherwise.

Last edited:
I’m curious, is there any information online about the things that happened at Pitt? I did a quick search and only found one article that mentioned him leaving Pitt may be tied to him not being offered the OC job there.
No national stories on it. It's Pitt they don't care or cover that dirty laundry. He made a number of numbskull tweets just before and shortly after the peach bowl. The grumbling out of the Southside were loud and then he ended up at Texas. He is apparently always liked by the position group players but his public voice on things that don't go his way is not good. Like I said give it some time and when it doesn't go his way he bangs his sippy cup and heads into sabotage mode. You will see it at unlv not immediately but it will come.

Decent breakdown of the Offense and how the game against UNLV helped even create the name.

It seems like a mobile QB is a must, but I wouldn't rule out Bailey just yet. He is actually a decent runner.

Worth noted that Marion's one year in Hawaii, they didn't play football at all due to COVID.

Decent breakdown of the Offense and how the game against UNLV helped even create the name.

It seems like a mobile QB is a must, but I wouldn't rule out Bailey just yet. He is actually a decent runner.

Worth noted that Marion's one year in Hawaii, they didn't play football at all due to COVID.
I'm curious to see if this guy was involved in recruiting at Texas, and if he has any recruits that won't be going to Texas that he can swing to UNLV.

Looks like Hawaii played 9 games in 2020. I haven't looked at any stats from their WR group, but they could probably just as well have been washed away with how different every team and situation was that season.

I'm curious to see if this guy was involved in recruiting at Texas, and if he has any recruits that won't be going to Texas that he can swing to UNLV.
It seems like was a scheme that was designed in part to do more with less. Looks like it needs a decent WR corps, which we seem to have, solid RBs (could use more depth), and a mobile QB ( check though injury issues).

But it may not need too specific of "types". Which hopefully means we can try to get the best athletes we can find. But yes, anyone slated to go to UT, I would happily snatch up.

No national stories on it. It's Pitt they don't care or cover that dirty laundry. He made a number of numbskull tweets just before and shortly after the peach bowl. The grumbling out of the Southside were loud and then he ended up at Texas. He is apparently always liked by the position group players but his public voice on things that don't go his way is not good. Like I said give it some time and when it doesn't go his way he bangs his sippy cup and heads into sabotage mode. You will see it at unlv not immediately but it will come.
You took quite a bit of personal time and effort in this series of posts. You really have a bad case of dislike for this guy. But somewhere back a few posts it got edgy.

I mean I dropped bombs on North Vietnamese soldiers and airmen who were trying to kill me and I didn't have near the venom for them that you do for this guy.

This seems more than finding problems with a coach, It seems personal. Did he wiz in your beer? Cut in line at a buffet? Has to be something.

Also the idea that things will go wrong "as soon as things don't go his way".

Well he is the OC and Odom is pretty hands off with the offensive side of the ball. Personnel, discipline sure. But not X's and O's.

Things will be "his way", and if they are not going well, he won't have anyone to blame other than himself, really.

Again, this offense is going to work or it is not. I think at the very least there is something to it, especially if NFL offenses are taking things from it.

You took quite a bit of personal time and effort in this series of posts. You really have a bad case of dislike for this guy. But somewhere back a few posts it got edgy.

I mean I dropped bombs on North Vietnamese soldiers and airmen who were trying to kill me and I didn't have near the venom for them that you do for this guy.

This seems more than finding problems with a coach, It seems personal. Did he wiz in your beer? Cut in line at a buffet? Has to be something.
Cool story

Reactions: RebelScrub
Hey, I wanted Brian Flores but what the hell do I know about hiring staff..

If nothing else this is an offense that can be run by different types of QBs. More athletic runner, you can do more zone read stuff, if it's more of a pocket guy you can go to more RPO stuff from the same looks and formations.

I'm a proponent of running an offense that is QB friendly, meaning most decent to good QBs can run it or recruiting/drafting multiple QBs with a similiar skill set to fit an offense. I think different styles of QBs can run this offense with the tweaks being minor.

Reactions: dcut03 and 220reb
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT