ADVERTISEMENT

If this is true.....

Va schools going to start paying players nil money directly from the university. If that's the case it has to be some way to at least get an upper hand or a level playing field..for sure in the mwc.. https://www.espn.com/college-sports/story/_/id/39967961/virginia-law-allows-schools-pay-athletes-nil
Use the Thomas and Mack as a NIL money use like 5$ for every ticket sold goto directly to the players. 10000 tickets sold is 50000. Divide that by even 10 players and that's 5000 a player each game. Times it 20 home games and that's 100000 each player would get. Could adjust for starters. There are ways to be creative.

• Love
Reactions: LVRebel2000
Use the Thomas and Mack as a NIL money use like 5$ for every ticket sold goto directly to the players. 10000 tickets sold is 50000. Divide that by even 10 players and that's 5000 a player each game. Times it 20 home games and that's 100000 each player would get. Could adjust for starters. There are ways to be creative.
Try quartering or halving that, lol... Attendance was what 5k average last year? so players get like 1200 bucks a game... Why not just add 5 dollars a credit to every student that attends UNLV per credit. Thats roughly 26000 people average 15 credits a semester at 5$ a pop per credit... Call it a resource fee or something, lol.. Now your talking serious cash per semester for players.

With the way they are winning..they are lucky to even get season tickets from me.

How long will it be before tax payer groups file a lawsuit to not allow tax money to be used for professional athletes? Most athletic programs lose money and of the schools that make money, it is fully carried by football/basketball, but any agreement will also be paying programs that do not make any money or very little.

Try quartering or halving that, lol... Attendance was what 5k average last year? so players get like 1200 bucks a game... Why not just add 5 dollars a credit to every student that attends UNLV per credit. Thats roughly 26000 people average 15 credits a semester at 5$ a pop per credit... Call it a resource fee or something, lol.. Now your talking serious cash per semester for players.
Try to charge students and/or their parents for the athletic program NIL deal to pay professional athletes while students struggle to pay their tuition, and you will end up with hundreds of lawsuits.

We do what i said and better player come. With the potential to make 9,000 a game.

Try to charge students and/or their parents for the athletic program NIL deal to pay professional athletes while students struggle to pay their tuition, and you will end up with hundreds of lawsuits.
Sure, but how many lawsuits did you file in school for "fees" that you had no idea where the money actually went to... How many students never used the library or the Rec Center after graduating but paid for those "fees" during their construction... I'm not arguing one way or another about that, I hated useless fees on top of over inflated tuition, victim of the "flex" tuition or whatever excuse they used during the recession to double your tuition as part of certain programs on campus.... Was just saying Universities could get very creative at funding NIL's if states start getting creative with allowable uses of funds...

Sure, but how many lawsuits did you file in school for "fees" that you had no idea where the money actually went to... How many students never used the library or the Rec Center after graduating but paid for those "fees" during their construction... I'm not arguing one way or another about that, I hated useless fees on top of over inflated tuition, victim of the "flex" tuition or whatever excuse they used during the recession to double your tuition as part of certain programs on campus.... Was just saying Universities could get very creative at funding NIL's if states start getting creative with allowable uses of funds...
One side is paying for cost for a non-profit education facility, this fee would be forcing students to pay for professional athletes. The two have nothing to do with each other.

Reactions: LVRebel2000
Va schools going to start paying players nil money directly from the university. If that's the case it has to be some way to at least get an upper hand or a level playing field..for sure in the mwc.. https://www.espn.com/college-sports/story/_/id/39967961/virginia-law-allows-schools-pay-athletes-nil
Signed into law today. Reno and UNLV had better get into gear or we'll be left behind. VCU and Richmond already puffing out their chest as their doners will find it easier to get $$ to players through the university.

Signed into law today. Reno and UNLV had better get into gear or we'll be left behind. VCU and Richmond already puffing out their chest as their doners will find it easier to get $$ to players through the university.
This could signal the doom of college sports. Many states would balk at this and have to close up shop.

How long will it be before tax payer groups file a lawsuit to not allow tax money to be used for professional athletes? Most athletic programs lose money and of the schools that make money, it is fully carried by football/basketball, but any agreement will also be paying programs that do not make any money or very little.
They wouldn’t have standing to sue. The only time a court had granted standing to plaintiffs as taxpayers has been under the 1st amendment for taxes being used religious school funding etc.

It would be dismissed pretty quickly if someone did sue.

They wouldn’t have standing to sue. The only time a court had granted standing to plaintiffs as taxpayers has been under the 1st amendment for taxes being used religious school funding etc.

It would be dismissed pretty quickly if someone did sue.
If you are talking about the Establishment Clause, that really doesn't have much to do with any case that would involve students being charged additional fees to pay for professional athletes that has zero to do with their education. While it is true that some schools charge fees to students to fund their athletic department (including UNLV), which should be stopped just on principal, that is far from using fees to pay professional athletes, and my expectation is this will quickly end up in the court system.

I do agree that the only way that a lawsuit can go forward against a governmental entity is if that government allows the lawsuit to go forward, but in this case the university system is under the state government, and there is nothing saying the Governor can't allow for a lawsuit to stop these fees on a university level. This is how there have been many lawsuits in the past by military retirees, including my father, that have gone forward, and this is why they now have a large amount of money that is paid from the Federal government on a monthly basis to victims of agent orange and other containments that have impacted military personal. Currently the victims receive roughly $40K per year as long as they are alive.

On a side note, all the additional fees that do get charged has a lot to do with why both of my sons went to UNLV for 1 year and then switched to internet schools that do not charge any additional fees and put education as the first and only priority.

Last edited:
You literally said “tax payer” groups. Tax payers don’t have standing to sue the government. Standing Has never been granted unless the tax payers sued under the establishment clause.

Yet according to the NCAA and the professional leagues, student athletes are considered amateur. So the "professional" stance would take a huge change in definition by the NCAA and ultimately argued in a court room as well.. The university could simply increase the "athletics" fee and use those funds how they chose. Students are already paying athletes one way or another..

I Object Jerry Ferrara GIF by Power

Reactions: reagan21
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT