ADVERTISEMENT

Future of CKK

@lobbybuu and his Dad I think have both said he's here 2 years and then anything goes... unless CKK is fired. He'll be here, question is can rest of team step up around him and support his talents with defense, rebounds, and made shots
Great question!!!
I think the only ones here who have a chance to step up around him are Hill, Whaley, Hicks, Bear and maybe the Evans kid but if Kevin is here and I still hope he’s not, he needs to bring in two guys on the wings who can score at all three levels on the offensive end who are also athletic enough to rebound and defend!

Last edited:
Reactions: Meister_Rebel
I want to be firmly on the record that from what I've seen, I don't think Kevin is a long term answer here. He has a lot of his father's flaws (inflexibility, stubbornness, revulsion for most freshmen, questionable roster construction) but without a lot of the nuance and acumen Lon had. Kevin knows way more about the intricacies of basketball than 99% of us here, but what makes a good coach is being able to take that knowledge and make it come through in the players. And I don't think he's got that gift innately--he may still develop it, but it's not there yet. Too many instances of 'overlooking opponents, varied effort, disjointed offense and poor communication on defense for me to be able to buy in.

With that being said:

I think he's done enough with the last half of the season to not be fired regardless of what happens in the tournament (unless we get absolutely boat raced). It's a results-oriented industry and the team has clearly improved from the beginning of the season in enough ways for me to understand him not being fired. You certainly can't give him an extension (maybe if he goes dancing, but even then I don't know that I would).

However, I hope very much that Harper has already got his replacement lined up and it's a done deal that we're moving on to someone with a better resume than Kevin. I understand that this means we're going to have another full roster reset, but I think with the right coach that doesn't matter with the way the transfer portal works. Even if Kevin returns and he gets everyone to stay, there are still no shooters and no other ball handlers besides DTJ on the roster and you're losing your best wing defender and offensive player. If there was a roster you were going to blow up with a coaching change, next year is as good as any.
Well said except we don’t agree on the bolded part of your post, the winning streak was “smoke and mirrors” and to be kept, he should have to make a tournament either NCAA or NIT at least. CBI does not count!

But we’ll said everywhere else!

Reactions: Rebel Hoya
I think if we get bounced in the first round. There should be at least some smoke. If they decide to go in a different direction and Thomas himself is in the equation on if he stays or goes depending on if CKK is here or not? I don't know how Thomas feels about CKK or is it just because he wanted to stay home? I will tell u this if we can get a Mack or a Wade type I think he stays regardless. WE NEED A MORE CHARASMATIC HC and a proven winner. Waiting to see if CKK can pull it altogether and learning all the nuances that HC entails has not been fun. ,but if u can't pull off atleast a triple then u keep the status quo as it is.

Great question!!!
I think the only ones here who have a chance to step up around him are Hill, Whaley, Hicks, Bear and maybe the Evans kid but if Kevin is here and I still hope he’s not, he needs to bring in two guys on the wings who can score at all three levels on the offensive end who are also athletic enough to rebound and defend!
I really feel that Whaley can turn into a poor mans KJ Adams. His game is very similar to how KJ played 2 years ago and Im really looking for him to be given a chance to play at the right spot rather than a pseudo 5 role that we know Lon and now Kevin love. Give Whaley a chance with a true big man type that forces the defense to switch smaller guys onto him that he can take off the dribble and dunk over. Add in a real shooting threat- I mean there's got to be someone that will be on the look for a new spot that can hit 35-40% consistently. But overall the recruiting/roster cant go through these weird over compensations that KK has had. We are a longer team this year vs the more guard oriented teams we had last year but the results havent been dominating the glass but rather sacrificing the ability to cut and dish to big men or open shooters and when we do have open shooters, they cant hit the shots. Again weve become one man band offensively late in the season with Dedan, just like we were with Bryce and Harkless..

Reactions: rebel5280
I think if we get bounced in the first round. There should be at least some smoke. If they decide to go in a different direction and Thomas himself is in the equation on if he stays or goes depending on if CKK is here or not? I don't know how Thomas feels about CKK or is it just because he wanted to stay home? I will tell u this if we can get a Mack or a Wade type I think he stays regardless. WE NEED A MORE CHARASMATIC HC and a proven winner. Waiting to see if CKK can pull it altogether and learning all the nuances that HC entails has not been fun. ,but if u can't pull off atleast a triple then u keep the status quo as it is.
Agreed!

Style of play is drastically overrated and has little to do with the crowds lets be real. Winning is what matters.

There is really only one legit gripe when it come to a slower style of play, and that is point differential. We are unlikely to beat teams by 30 the way we play. Point differential does play a role in the NET (unknown how much).

But if playing with offensive post players that can't run the court and still play effective defense means slowing down the pace, we should slow it down. We haven't had a low post scoring threat in ages. I tend to like it. It opens things up, we are taking better shots than we have in years this season. It can take time, but that is fine with me.

Scoring 85 and giving up 95 isn't going to win over fans.

Style of play is drastically overrated and has little to do with the crowds lets be real. Winning is what matters.

There is really only one legit gripe when it come to a slower style of play, and that is point differential. We are unlikely to beat teams by 30 the way we play. Point differential does play a role in the NET (unknown how much).

But if playing with offensive post players that can't run the court and still play effective defense means slowing down the pace, we should slow it down. We haven't had a low post scoring threat in ages. I tend to like it. It opens things up, we are taking better shots than we have in years this season. It can take time, but that is fine with me.

Scoring 85 and giving up 95 isn't going to win over fans.
The other side of this is our style of play isnt built to come back from large deficits either. If we get down early it becomes really hard to get back into the game, because we dont run in transition often and cant shoot well enough to claw back large leads. Id really like to find a guy that doesnt need to be the "scoring" threat, but can hit 4 or 5 3s in a game if needed to just open things up or get a run back in the positive direction.

Reactions: LVRebel2000
I want to be firmly on the record that from what I've seen, I don't think Kevin is a long term answer here. He has a lot of his father's flaws (inflexibility, stubbornness, revulsion for most freshmen, questionable roster construction) but without a lot of the nuance and acumen Lon had. Kevin knows way more about the intricacies of basketball than 99% of us here, but what makes a good coach is being able to take that knowledge and make it come through in the players. And I don't think he's got that gift innately--he may still develop it, but it's not there yet. Too many instances of 'overlooking opponents, varied effort, disjointed offense and poor communication on defense for me to be able to buy in.

With that being said:

I think he's done enough with the last half of the season to not be fired regardless of what happens in the tournament (unless we get absolutely boat raced). It's a results-oriented industry and the team has clearly improved from the beginning of the season in enough ways for me to understand him not being fired. You certainly can't give him an extension (maybe if he goes dancing, but even then I don't know that I would).

However, I hope very much that Harper has already got his replacement lined up and it's a done deal that we're moving on to someone with a better resume than Kevin. I understand that this means we're going to have another full roster reset, but I think with the right coach that doesn't matter with the way the transfer portal works. Even if Kevin returns and he gets everyone to stay, there are still no shooters and no other ball handlers besides DTJ on the roster and you're losing your best wing defender and offensive player. If there was a roster you were going to blow up with a coaching change, next year is as good as any.
I still think it is too early to say that Kevin can't be a good long term answer here.

I agree with a lot of your points, I went on a rant the other day about my perception that he can take lesser opponents lightly.

But some point of contention nonetheless.

I think it is too early to say that he is stubborn like Lon. Kevin's teams have played very different over the past 3 years. Especially defensively. Last season he took way too long to change the defense, and what they changed to was a smallish adjustment that kept a lot of the same principles. I think that was out of necessity. I think they spent so much time trying to work on that match up zone that it was too late to totally switch to a different scheme and play at a high enough level. They made a risky style choice that ultimately didn't payoff and backfired. It is difficult to completely change an identity in the middle of the season.

I don't the roster is that far off. And I think it would be a very bad time to reset.

First DJ. We finally have a point guard to be proud of. He is also a hometown legacy kid. Running him off seems to be a bad decision. I think he can help with recruiting next year through the portal. Watching this season I can see a quality combo guard see a lot of minutes here. Beyond that, we do have the best incoming freshman class in the conference, and Kevin knows how to use to portal.

In terms of returners I think Whaley (if he doesn't get poached) still gives us a solid low post threat. Bear Cherry seems to have some low post game as well. Pape gives us an athletic big defender. Hill isn't LuRod, but he can be our wing defender as long as we have other options for guards (LuRod can do both). I think Hicks can develop into a nice player, even the combo guard (maybe) we are looking for if the need is still there.

Like I've said before it is all about Harper looking for reasons to keep Kevin or fire him. I think he is likely doing one or the other, and some of the rumor during this strong finish to the season I think he is looking for reasons to keep him. If he has a home run ready to go that is just waiting for final game to become our new coach, then great. But any other scenario? Blowing it now would be very risky.

Reactions: Trax0r and Couev
Well said except we don’t agree on the bolded part of your post, the winning streak was “smoke and mirrors” and to be kept, he should have to make a tournament either NCAA or NIT at least. CBI does not count!

But we’ll said everywhere else!
I can't fault anyone for not agreeing with that, though I don't think it was all smoke and mirrors anymore than the first part of the season was a mirage. I personally hope they move on even if we make it to an tournament--but I also think that the improvement on the overall record and conference position over the last 2 years will give the AD enough ammunition to keep him another year if he doesn't have a hire lined up already.

But I also know that right now we're a job that has some bad optics when it comes to how we've handled our program. Fire Rice, the alum with good results after 1.5 years of struggling (read: playing basically at the level we've been at the last 9 years) midseason. Make sure that you poison the last of the ties to Tark as you do it to make Findlay happy and to have him basically bail and close up the prep school shortly there after. Miss on your two primary shots because your temporary AD can't close one deal and because the big boosters can't all agree to help you get the other one. Hire a guy and put him through the BOR gauntlet where they grill him like a pork chop, can't say his name right at the press conference, and don't have a proper protective buy out. Let him come in, get all of the Rice guys to transfer and then peace out before a single organized activity. Have the president force the temporary AD to make a quick hire instead of doing the process right to save face. Hire a guy who thinks his job is to recruit and win 20 games every 3 years depsite having decent talent. Fire him with cries about racisim echoing around it (obviously a BS smoke screen but especially after they way they did Ice it had some momentum). Hire a midwest guy and bring him in in a helicopter like he's Elvis. Watch him struggle in his second season and celebrate when he gets bought out by ISU. Make a nepotism hire based on past ties to the program and have him make tiny improvements each year, and now fire him after his best season after he took a team that was dead on arrival and had them playing for a share of the conference championship in the last week.

That's not going to look great given the other history. Which is why I said he probably did enough to keep his job regardless of postseason. I hope Harp doesn't care about any of that, but I think he has to take that into consideration. that's all I'm saying.

I think mostly you've got a sane, slightly more optimistic take than I do. I'm going to get in the mud a little bit--but I don't really think we're too far apart, it's just where the line is for each of us I think.

I still think it is too early to say that Kevin can't be a good long term answer here.
So, I wonder how many seasons does he get before he puts together a NCAA worthy product? How many more seasons of cupcake city non-cons and bottom 20% pace despite not running anything worthy of being called an offense does he get before it's no longer too early. Bayno and Lon both got a tournament appearance in year 3, every other head coach in UNLV history that didn't get a dance by year 3 got their walking papers, Rice got his after 3 years straight where he wasn't going dancing.

When is it acceptable to cut bait based on what you've seen, not based on potential?
I think it is too early to say that he is stubborn like Lon. Kevin's teams have played very different over the past 3 years. Especially defensively. Last season he took way too long to change the defense, and what they changed to was a smallish adjustment that kept a lot of the same principles.
So he's not stubborn because he refused to change something that wasn't working. Got it. Probably not the best example haha.
They made a risky style choice that ultimately didn't payoff and backfired. It is difficult to completely change an identity in the middle of the season.
Every single school has man to man packages if you're not Jim Boeheim (and even he ran some some seasons). The fundamental difference between the trapping match up man and good man with double teams isn't that far apart. If you go into a season and say 'I'm only going to play one defense', then unless you're absolutely elite at it, you had better have some other cards in your deck. Tark ran the Amoeba occasionally from man to man, and ran 1-2-2/1-2-2- match up his final year. And you don't need to be great at two defenses, you just need to be able to run a 2nd one with a pulse once people figure out your gimmick. Sticking to a gimmick defense despite everyone figuring it out is STUBBORN or defeatist. Everything else is just excuses.
First DJ. We finally have a point guard to be proud of. He is also a hometown legacy kid. Running him off seems to be a bad decision. I think he can help with recruiting next year through the portal. Watching this season I can see a quality combo guard see a lot of minutes here. Beyond that, we do have the best incoming freshman class in the conference, and Kevin knows how to use to portal.
DTJ is a quality asset to be sure. But he was helping us recruit this year and Pharoah and Taj both ended up at our rival, Khaman Maker never answered our phone calls, We did get Pape, who is a project but should provide some rebounding and defense, but who else is left in the valley to recruit?
In terms of returners I think Whaley (if he doesn't get poached) still gives us a solid low post threat. Bear Cherry seems to have some low post game as well. Pape gives us an athletic big defender. Hill isn't LuRod, but he can be our wing defender as long as we have other options for guards (LuRod can do both). I think Hicks can develop into a nice player, even the combo guard (maybe) we are looking for if the need is still there.
I like Hicks and Whaley a lot, but neither is even an all-conference honorable mention type player, both have relatively limited games as things stand right now. Hill is going to be coming off an ACL and I'd be amazed if he's back to 100% at the start of next year. Cottrell, Nowell, and JJ3 are useful depth pieces but all severely limited in some way. This isn't Dedan Thomas Sr, JR RIder, Dexter Boney, Evric Gray, Reggie Manuel. This isn't Jerel Blassingame, Odartey Blankson, Romel Beck, Michael Umeh, and Lou Amundsen. This isn't even Dalron Johnson, Lou Kelly, Jevon Banks, and Chris Richardson. If we're being super honest, I don't think it's even Bryce Hamilton, Amauri Hardy, and Cheikh Mbacke Diong quality returning. It's DTJ (and who knows if he won't be poached to a big NIL school) and some potential. I think beyond DTJ you can probalby upgrade with with the right coach across all those positions. Sprinkle did it at Utah State. Abdur-Rahim did it at South Florida.

If he has a home run ready to go that is just waiting for final game to become our new coach, then great. But any other scenario? Blowing it now would be very risky.

I think I agree with this basically, but I'm also not afraid of a coaching search, even if it's only a double to the alley. I've had enough soft grounders to the opposite field for a while now.

Im also not sure what "blowing it now" means because frankly we are in the same position we have been since Rice's last tournament team... Needing 3 or 4 wins to make it to the Dance. After 3 years of that watching multiple other teams in our conference do it in the same time span what exactly do we risk blowing? We arent in desperation mode and frankly I call BS every time someone says we arent a good job or we dont have the money.. We just raked in multiple big donations and proved otherwise with one of the worse programs in a major NCAA sport simple by taking a chance and cutting loose a coach that showed he just wasnt ready. We arent going to lose fan support, thats already gone, and players come and go, Im not keeping an under performing coach because a single player might go elsewhere. We dont even need a "Danny Sprinkle" type of hire where he replaces everyone and wins conference.. Id take a Richard Pitino who at least has given UNM a legit shot at dancing the past 2 seasons.

So, I wonder how many seasons does he get before he puts together a NCAA worthy product? How many more seasons of cupcake city non-cons and bottom 20% pace despite not running anything worthy of being called an offense does he get before it's no longer too early. Bayno and Lon both got a tournament appearance in year 3, every other head coach in UNLV history that didn't get a dance by year 3 got their walking papers, Rice got his after 3 years straight where he wasn't going dancing.

When is it acceptable to cut bait based on what you've seen, not based on potential
So the question is how close is he to having a tournament worthy product?

Again Pace? As long as it works I could give 2 shits. That being said I think Pape will allow us to run a bit more last season. Kalib is surprisingly not built to run. Cotrell isn't either, and I think Whaley can't run the entire game. Bear is athletic, but I don't think he can run the floor, but I can see the pace improve

The truth is, there isn't a lot of structured offense in college basketball these days. UConn does it CSU does it, some have more structure than others. I personally would love to see more, and there has been more off ball movement and purpose this second half of the conference season.

Cupcake noncons? We had 4, just like every practically every other top NET team. 1 was a make up add on game ( i didn't agree with it, but I get wanting to get some sort of game in there). Have you seen our quad 1 record compared to other tournament teams. It stacks up pretty good.

Hey it hasn't been great, which is why we are having this discussion. The headscratchers are a problem, one I think will be fixed. To be seen yes. The home record has not been good either.
But.
We are 7-2 against ranked opponents, with one loss being a stolen game against USU. Also had the best road record in the conference ( at least we did before Saturday). We also had some of the worst attendance out of the top 6 teams.
I think it will be easier to not lose against those bad teams which should help crowd support, which will then to a better home court advantage. Again his record this season in the tough scenarios is better than the easier ones. I think it i easier to fix the easier stuff. DO that this year and we are easily in and likely ranked during that last run of the season. To me, I think he is closer than he is given credit for. Hell even this season with those terrible losses we are in the "next four out" on some boards. Also safely in the NIT according to many, which would be our best season since 2013.

Every single school has man to man packages if you're not Jim Boeheim (and even he ran some some seasons). The fundamental difference between the trapping match up man and good man with double teams isn't that far apart. If you go into a season and say 'I'm only going to play one defense', then unless you're absolutely elite at it, you had better have some other cards in your deck. Tark ran the Amoeba occasionally from man to man, and ran 1-2-2/1-2-2- match up his final year. And you don't need to be great at two defenses, you just need to be able to run a 2nd one with a pulse once people figure out your gimmick. Sticking to a gimmick defense despite everyone figuring it out is STUBBORN or defeatist. Everything else is just excuses.
It was a mistake. But I don't think it is that easy to switch to a regular man at high level when you drill a help culture over and over for 3 months. You help when you aren't supposed to you, have breakdowns and it gets ugly fast. They talked on the broadcast against SDSU this last game how much they practice defensive concepts, even though they don't change much. It's not that easy to throw out an effective man D at this level when you haven't practiced.
This season we have multiple looks. Some mostly straight up man, some with more help concepts, and a mini match up zone once the ball hits the key ( we have run this the past several games, I'm not too fond of it). We have thrown in some 1-3-1 as a change up sparingly which has been a good change up to throw them off balance. I think it is improving, and despite some of the holes our current defense can create, it has been quite effective overall.
DTJ is a quality asset to be sure. But he was helping us recruit this year and Pharoah and Taj both ended up at our rival, Khaman Maker never answered our phone calls, We did get Pape, who is a project but should provide some rebounding and defense, but who else is left in the valley to recruit?
I was thinking more in the portal. Can't count on DJ more than next year and HS recruiting is over. But after his growth and production this season, I can see some quality players want to come and play with him. Also given the need for a quality guard that can do some combination of guard, facilitate and/or shoot it can be a pretty intriguing possibility for someone looking to make a impact on a Tournament level team.
I like Hicks and Whaley a lot, but neither is even an all-conference honorable mention type player, both have relatively limited games as things stand right now. Hill is going to be coming off an ACL and I'd be amazed if he's back to 100% at the start of next year. Cottrell, Nowell, and JJ3 are useful depth pieces but all severely limited in some way. This isn't Dedan Thomas Sr, JR RIder, Dexter Boney, Evric Gray, Reggie Manuel. This isn't Jerel Blassingame, Odartey Blankson, Romel Beck, Michael Umeh, and Lou Amundsen. This isn't even Dalron Johnson, Lou Kelly, Jevon Banks, and Chris Richardson. If we're being super honest, I don't think it's even Bryce Hamilton, Amauri Hardy, and Cheikh Mbacke Diong quality returning. It's DTJ (and who knows if he won't be poached to a big NIL school) and some potential. I think beyond DTJ you can probalby upgrade with with the right coach across all those positions. Sprinkle did it at Utah State. Abdur-Rahim did it at South Florida.
I'll give you the Dedan/Rider/Boney/Gray/Manuel squad. That was a really good team. But the other examples? No one you listed was as impactful as DJ has been this season, other than Hamilton maybe, but I would trade DJ's ability to pass over Hamilton's ability to score. Also think of Bryce coming off his freshman season vs DJ?? I like Whaley a lot and I think he can be an all conference type player, especially since JUCOs often get a bit of a jump their second season. I do think we have a solid core coming back that can become a squad with some portal additions.

This is year 3 for Kevin. There has been a precedent for sure. Kevin is has the least amount of experience in our school's history. Things have been improving. Rice did have diminishing returns the further removed from Lon's handoff we got, despite more "stars". Kevin has improved talent and the on field product. This isn't trying to defend a "slow build". It is trying to defend a young coach that has some promise. The high points have been pretty good. Finishing 4th in a conference that can get 6 teams in is something.

Reactions: Couev
Kevin, Kevin,Kevin? Are we going to average 60 points a game from now on? Playing slow and NEVER pushing the ball?
Are we gonna play boring basketball and draw 4 thousand a game from now on? Are we gonna schedule the likes of Carrol College for our expensive non conference home games exclusively again? OR are we gonna get a Runnin Rebel coach who plays Las Vegas style exciting city basketball? Our home record under Kevin is poor. We can do so much better. He is not a Runnin Rebel type coach. Do I like Kevin? Yes. But he is not our guy. Deep underneath, we all know it.
We haven't had a Runnin' Rebel type of coach since Tark!

I'll give you the Dedan/Rider/Boney/Gray/Manuel squad. That was a really good team. But the other examples? No one you listed was as impactful as DJ has been this season, other than Hamilton maybe, but I would trade DJ's ability to pass over Hamilton's ability to score. Also think of Bryce coming off his freshman season vs DJ?? I like Whaley a lot and I think he can be an all conference type player, especially since JUCOs often get a bit of a jump their second season. I do think we have a solid core coming back that can become a squad with some portal additions.

This is year 3 for Kevin. There has been a precedent for sure. Kevin is has the least amount of experience in our school's history. Things have been improving. Rice did have diminishing returns the further removed from Lon's handoff we got, despite more "stars". Kevin has improved talent and the on field product. This isn't trying to defend a "slow build". It is trying to defend a young coach that has some promise. The high points have been pretty good. Finishing 4th in a conference that can get 6 teams in is something.
So I wrote a longer response with a more point by point, but somehow it's gone and I can't make myself do the whole thing.

For the most part you have a 'though the trend is small, it's been positive and I think he's going to trend better with time, patience, and support'. My end is 'By year three I should be seeing bigger steps than I'm seeing, and I don't think the incremental growth is enough to warrant full patience, time, and support.' I think we can both see and understand the other person's position.

One thing I do wan to push back on is comparing those rosters after coaching changes.

Odartey Blankson was a returning first team MWC who average 17.6 ppg and 10.2 rpg. Jerel Blassingame was a 3rd team all MWC who averaged 11.2 ppg and 6.6 apg, Romel Beck was on the all tournament team that season and average 14.2 points a game while shooting 39% from three. Umeh averaged 3.9 ppg as a freshman. That roster had far more impact and depth than what we have returning this year. You could say if you wanted that DJ is better than JB, but Beck, Umeh, and Blankson easily outpace Whaley, Hill, and Hicks. I think freshman DJ is better than Freshamn Dalron, but Lou Kelly was coming off injury and would average 15.6 ppg 4.8 rpg and 2.8 apg as a senior, Richardson was limited but was a really good athletic defender and would average 9.6 ppg and 5.6 rpg a game that season. Jevon Banks was a rotational guy but gave solid minutes and average more than Brookly Hicks did the year before. Bryce Hamilton as a freshman was much more limited, but would put up 2 1st team all-MWC and one 2nd team, Hardy was coming off of a 13.1 ppg 3.8 apg as a sophomore, and Mbacke was coming off a very comparable to Whaley 6.9 ppg 6.8 rpg and 1.5 bpg. My point is all these rosters except arguably better except maybe the Hamilton teams but weren't a reason to keep a coach in place. Roster is more than one guy--it's still a team game after all.

Last edited:
Reactions: j. spilotro
So I wrote a longer response with a more point by point, but somehow it's gone and I can't make myself do the whole thing.

For the most part you have a 'though the trend is small, it's been positive and I think he's going to trend better with time, patience, and support'. My end is 'By year three I should be seeing bigger steps than I'm seeing, and I don't think the incremental growth is enough to warrant full patience, time, and support.' I think we can both see and understand the other person's position.

One thing I do wan to push back on is comparing those rosters after coaching changes.

Odartey Blankson was a returning first team MWC who average 17.6 ppg and 10.2 rpg. Jerel Blassingame was a 3rd team all MWC who averaged 11.2 ppg and 6.6 apg, Romel Beck was on the all tournament team that season and average 14.2 points a game while shooting 39% from three. Umeh averaged 3.9 ppg as a freshman. That roster had far more impact and depth than what we have returning this year. You could say if you wanted that DJ is better than JB, but Beck, Umeh, and Blankson easily outpace Whaley, Hill, and Hicks. I think freshman DJ is better than Freshamn Dalron, but Lou Kelly was coming off injury and would average 15.6 ppg 4.8 rpg and 2.8 apg as a senior, Richardson was limited but was a really good athletic defender and would average 9.6 ppg and 5.6 rpg a game that season. Jevon Banks was a rotational guy but gave solid minutes and average more than Brookly Hicks did the year before. Bryce Hamilton as a freshman was much more limited, but would put up 2 1st team all-MWC and one 2nd team, Hardy was coming off of a 13.1 ppg 3.8 apg as a sophomore, and Mbacke was coming off a very comparable to Whaley 6.9 ppg 6.8 rpg and 1.5 bpg. My point is all these rosters except arguably better except maybe the Hamilton teams but weren't a reason to keep a coach in place. Roster is more than one guy--it's still a team game after all.
Skill wise, not chemistry or attitude wise (necessarily), but this team with a Harkless or Hamilton, even a Gilbert … would have done well. We had no go to guy, it ended up going to our youngest and most inexperienced player and he did well with it all things considered. Having a capable scorer off ball would have made everything about the offense better.

Maybe it was erroneously expected Webster or Nowell would have filled that role but seeing how they performed, it was a grave overestimation if that was the expectation. JJ was never going to be that guy consistently, he’s too tiny and too erratic. You might get a couple of games where they are on and pop out and do a great job but you aren’t going to get that consistently. Expecting that is/was a mistake.

And it comes down to roster construct, assessment, etc.

Skill wise, not chemistry or attitude wise (necessarily), but this team with a Harkless or Hamilton, even a Gilbert … would have done well. We had no go to guy, it ended up going to our youngest and most inexperienced player and he did well with it all things considered. Having a capable scorer off ball would have made everything about the offense better.

Maybe it was erroneously expected Webster or Nowell would have filled that role but seeing how they performed, it was a grave overestimation if that was the expectation. JJ was never going to be that guy consistently, he’s too tiny and too erratic. You might get a couple of games where they are on and pop out and do a great job but you aren’t going to get that consistently. Expecting that is/was a mistake.

I remember end of last year wanting both guys to go so the roster spot would be open. Webster finished with a solid 3pt % but he was incredibly inconsistent and terrible defensively and turned the ball over so many times in critical spots... that trend didn't change. Just wondering on guards we missed out on because our "talent assessment" said they'd be 8-10 ppg contributors

I remember end of last year wanting both guys to go so the roster spot would be open. Webster finished with a solid 3pt % but he was incredibly inconsistent and terrible defensively and turned the ball over so many times in critical spots... that trend didn't change. Just wondering on guards we missed out on because our "talent assessment" said they'd be 8-10 ppg contributors
The overestimation of nearly every player’s contributions is and has been rampant. He’s a big, he will give us 12/7 for sure. He’s a guard, he’s going to give us 11/5/4. It’s almost always a failure in guesses. They might hit those numbers after a couple years of experience but it’s always for another school.

I think we all knew DJ would be a major contributor but I didn’t expect the scoring numbers he put up. He was one of those few that was underestimated.

How many had Cottrell pegged at 3/2? Hicks at 3/1? Nowell at 2/1? Webster at 30 percent threes, 5-6 games with double digit scoring.

Fair enough. With that team. Maybe not fair to the players, but they didn't perform terribly well under Lon which takes shine off of them in my eyes. Different coach, philosophy, etc that can happen. But one thing that you are missing is the transfer angle. It makes it tough to compare since the game has changed. But considering Kevin has been good at bringing some proven talent from power conferences each year, and it has improved each year, that is tough to directly compare right now. You could make the argument that any incoming coach could do the same, but Kevin has been better than most, especially others in our conference, in bringing in high major guys that have already established themselves at the highest level.

My again counterpoint to your stance of " I need to see more by year 3" is the fact that Kevin is an inexperienced coach so he should get more leeway. Now I also understand that we have one of the more impatient fan bases in the country, and easily the most in the league, so that is a tough ask. Especially most fans didn't think he deserved to the job in the first place, which is fair, I was in that camp too.

But our fan base also seems to be tribal, almost political, and wants to be right when it comes to controversial things like HC hires. Especially with basketball. I'm not saying you are, in fact I don't think you are. You actually back up opinions with substance. As a fan base, we have proven over and over again that we should not be listened to when it comes to HC hires. We (mostly boosters), screwed up the Rice thing. Half of our fanbase was happy to get rid of our second most successful coach in history who is now a HOF'er. We mocked the idea of hiring Cronin, Beard, TJ, Moser here who all went elsewhere and did things we would love to achieve

But back to my point, we can't go back in time and NOT hire Kevin. We now have an especially unexperienced HC. That doesn't mean that we should blindly give him 5 years to figure it out. I'm not saying that either. But is do think there are some positive things that he deserves another year ( no extension, unless we make the Tournament).

His record against the top 25 is very good. His Quad 1 record is very good. This looks like it will be our most successful season in 11 years ( not saying much, but still). TJ is a very good coach. He was good at SDSU and he is very good at ISU, he may have had his foot halfway out the door by X-mas his second year, but Kev is out performing him. Also Marv who had his flaws, we all know that, but did have some success in his own right at NMSU.

And again Kev is cheap. His contract has already been paid for. Football is actually making money. We are in a unique position in our school history where we can afford to be patient in basketball.

Last edited:

The overestimation of nearly every player’s contributions is and has been rampant. He’s a big, he will give us 12/7 for sure. He’s a guard, he’s going to give us 11/5/4. It’s almost always a failure in guesses. They might hit those numbers after a couple years of experience but it’s always for another school.

I think we all knew DJ would be a major contributor but I didn’t expect the scoring numbers he put up. He was one of those few that was underestimated.

How many had Cottrell pegged at 3/2? Hicks at 3/1? Nowell at 2/1? Webster at 30 percent threes, 5-6 games with double digit scoring.
A few things happened this year that effected our back court.

Webster did regress. He shot 50% from 3 last year. Personally I never thought he was a viable long term starter, but a potentially good piece off the bench that could make 3's. His defensive struggles is known. But when he is making shots, he gets better at attacking the rim, and can provide a decent spark. It is hard to anticipate that kind of shooting regression.

I thought Nowell was looking more to be a viable starter based off how he finished last year. That injury late in camp obviously derailed that. He also he is one of those players that needs minutes to build confidence, his injury seemingly derailed his productivity this season. I am curious if he returns next season. No idea on that.

It also seemed like we were looking to potentially go very big with some combination of the Boones, Hill, and LuRod all in there together. Hill's injury hurt that, but the Keylan eligibility was a gift. Still not sure what happened there.

Cottrell's potential has been derailed by his injuries. The recurrent foot problem with now 3 separate injuries since joining the team is likely unexpected hard to account for. Hard to expect him to be a viable starter, but not a stretch to see him having a more productive role. Curious to see if he returns next season as well.

You could make the argument that any incoming coach could do the same, but Kevin has been better than most, especially others in our conference, in bringing in high major guys that have already established themselves at the highest level.
Kevin has done a nice job with transfer talent on paper, but I've found that roster construction still is subpar. If you wanted Brooklyn Hicks to be your combo guard then you have to find him minutes sooner--of course when your season starts off as a dumpster fire it can be hard to get young guys burn.
My again counterpoint to your stance of " I need to see more by year 3" is the fact that Kevin is an inexperienced coach so he should get more leeway. Now I also understand that we have one of the more impatient fan bases in the country, and easily the most in the league, so that is a tough ask. Especially most fans didn't think he deserved to the job in the first place, which is fair, I was in that camp too.
I understand and empathize with your sentiment, but the job is the job. But if you have your dad pull strings and call in favors to get you the position despite a lack of qualifications, I don't think it's fair to post hoc say 'well, I don't have the qualifications for job I pulled strings to get, so can you grade me on a curve'. I think we can agree to disagree here.
But our fan base also seems to be tribal, almost political, and wants to be right when it comes to controversial things like HC hires. Especially with basketball.
Preach. It's been this way since Tark has been gone--and if you're really honest with yourself you know Tark was loved by the community but had real issues with administration and that was eventually got him Finfrocked. Since then there's always been a divide on the coaching staff especially on rebel.net. I feel that perhaps too many of us aren't open to opposing view points. That's why I always try to have discussions with the people I don't necessarily agree with. That's far more interesting to me than an echo chamber.
Half of our fanbase was happy to get rid of our second most successful coach in history who is now a HOF'er. We mocked the idea of hiring Cronin, Beard, TJ, Moser here who all went elsewhere and did things we would love to achieve
Lon raised money and got results, but he didn't recruit well and it put a ceiling on what he was able to get out of the program. I was on the side of finding a new solution rather than try to match the Oklahoma offer. I think history shows that it probably wasn't my smartest position. I think this is also a peculiar place to win big, and it requires a lot of positive qualities that Kruger doesn't presently have. I don't think anyone knows if/when/how much he'll grow--it's all opinion and extrapolation at this point. I personally don't see it happening in a time frame that makes sense, but I'm not foolish enough to state that as a concrete fact.
That doesn't mean that we should blindly give him 5 years to figure it out. I'm not saying that either. But is do think there are some positive things that he deserves another year ( no extension, unless we make the Tournament).
For all of our discussion about differences, we're actually SUPER close here. I would prefer to move on from Kevin, but I think he's done enough to get another year at this point and I think that as you stated earlier, it really depends on whether Harp is looking to keep him or move on--and really either position has its risks.
It also seemed like we were looking to potentially go very big with some combination of the Boones, Hill, and LuRod all in there together. Hill's injury hurt that, but the Keylan eligibility was a gift. Still not sure what happened there.
Lon loved to be able to switch screens 1-5 if he could, and I think there's a bit of that in Kevin--but with that kind of length you can do a lot with a 2-3 or 1-3-1 as well. And while our 1-3-1 this year wasn't exactly crisp, it wasn't terrible either.

Cottrell's potential has been derailed by his injuries. The recurrent foot problem with now 3 separate injuries since joining the team is likely unexpected hard to account for. Hard to expect him to be a viable starter, but not a stretch to see him having a more productive role. Curious to see if he returns next season as well.
I think the problem with Cottrell beyond the injuries (which are definitely a factor) is that he's a wing in a 5 body/athleticism. However, he's not proven to be a good shooter or screen setter--maybe that's the foot. Big men's careers are ended by foot issues, but I find screens are mostly desire and toughness. I think Cottrell is a little soft when it comes to that contact, maybe the fragility is in the back of his head.

Reactions: dcut03
As for Norwell it has to be Contrell part 2? They both have the skills to be starters and put up good numbers. There is no reason that they should not be contributing at the minimum off the bench. Seems like they are just lacking the drive to put it all on the floor.

I understand and empathize with your sentiment, but the job is the job. But if you have your dad pull strings and call in favors to get you the position despite a lack of qualifications, I don't think it's fair to post hoc say 'well, I don't have the qualifications for job I pulled strings to get, so can you grade me on a curve'. I think we can agree to disagree here.

I think this is also a peculiar place to win big, and it requires a lot of positive qualities that Kruger doesn't presently have. I don't think anyone knows if/when/how much he'll grow--it's all opinion and extrapolation at this point. I personally don't see it happening in a time frame that makes sense, but I'm not foolish enough to state that as a
I think we do have a bit of a disagreement here, which is fine.
I guess is my one contention is that I think Kevin does deserve to be on a curve. Which I don't think should be the argument. The argument should be if we think has he shown enough to continue given that curve which should be standard.

You don't buy a brisket that needs several hours to render the fat and get probe tender, just to pull it at 175 where it is still sinewy but safe to eat, then throw it in the trash because the texture sucks.

The brisket itself may be from a new butcher that you are unsure about. It may look a little different but smell pretty good. SO it may still suck, but it smells good enough to see it through the stall.

(Sorry to use BBQ metaphors, I live in TX now, lol)

To me, if we just cut out the head scratching losses we are already a tournament team. If we split the the Florida trip, we are wearing white for the first game.

I just don't want to let Kevin go, just to see him succeed somewhere else. Just like all of those other coaches.

Reactions: Couev
I guess is my one contention is that I think Kevin does deserve to be on a curve. Which I don't think should be the argument. The argument should be if we think has he shown enough to continue given that curve which should be standard.

You don't buy a brisket that needs several hours to render the fat and get probe tender, just to pull it at 175 where it is still sinewy but safe to eat, then throw it in the trash because the texture sucks.

The brisket itself may be from a new butcher that you are unsure about. It may look a little different but smell pretty good. SO it may still suck, but it smells good enough to see it through the stall.

To me, if we just cut out the head scratching losses we are already a tournament team. If we split the the Florida trip, we are wearing white for the first game.

I just don't want to let Kevin go, just to see him succeed somewhere else. Just like all of those other coaches.
Noway he gets another a shot. Maybe Div 2 gig? What % chance do u really think he is here in 2-3 years? I think 10% . Nobody is going to poach him. Unless his DAD has some far reaching influence. List of negatives far outweighs the positives. $ not there? Then u stick with him.

You also don't say you're going to serve brisket and have 4 hours to cook it and say 'well, if you would have given me more time it would have been great'. I'm hungry NOW.

And we can go back and edit the past to make the trajectory better, but just like I won't let any of the Kevin doomers ignore 10-2 with 3 top 25 wins in the last 12, I can't let you handwave Ls against Southern, LMU, Air Force and say we'd be dancing if we just turned that around. We probably would be. But when we played the games we didn't win. It matters what you do on the court, not in the mind. And you won't see many at large teams with 3 Q4 losses and all at home, no less. If ifs and buts were candy and nuts we'd all have a happy selection Sunday. This team is both of those things, and that inconsistency is why we're going to have to win 3 straight or hope we get an NIT call.

I guess at the end of the day I've stated I understand and can defend your position as though I was on your side, but I haven't really felt any effort on your part to empathize or understand my point of view on this. Which makes this start to feel a bit like a political argument after all. We can sort of leave it where it is with a healthy and friendly disagreement about what we want served at the BBQ and what time we're okay with eating.

You also don't say you're going to serve brisket and have 4 hours to cook it and say 'well, if you would have given me more time it would have been great'. I'm hungry NOW.

And we can go back and edit the past to make the trajectory better, but just like I won't let any of the Kevin doomers ignore 10-2 with 3 top 25 wins in the last 12, I can't let you handwave Ls against Southern, LMU, Air Force and say we'd be dancing if we just turned that around. We probably would be. But when we played the games we didn't win. It matters what you do on the court, not in the mind. And you won't see many at large teams with 3 Q4 losses and all at home, no less. If ifs and buts were candy and nuts we'd all have a happy selection Sunday. This team is both of those things, and that inconsistency is why we're going to have to win 3 straight or hope we get an NIT call.

I guess at the end of the day I've stated I understand and can defend your position as though I was on your side, but I haven't really felt any effort on your part to empathize or understand my point of view on this. Which makes this start to feel a bit like a political argument after all. We can sort of leave it where it is with a healthy and friendly disagreement about what we want served at the BBQ and what time we're okay with eating.
You’re too level headed for this board.

Find another.

• Haha
But you can cook a brisket in 4 hours and have it be just as good... it isn't that we pull the brisket out before it finishes, but rather we tried cooking a frozen one and when the party is just a few hours away we change methods, turn up the temperature of the smoker and get it nice and hot but in the end just end up with burnt tough meat...
To wrap it up, just like you can take a team with 0 returning points and win a conference title... so why not try the 4 hour cook...

Reactions: j. spilotro
But you can cook a brisket in 4 hours and have it be just as good... it isn't that we pull the brisket out before it finishes, but rather we tried cooking a frozen one and when the party is just a few hours away we change methods, turn up the temperature of the smoker and get it nice and hot but in the end just end up with burnt tough meat...
To wrap it up, just like you can take a team with 0 returning points and win a conference title... so why not try the 4 hour cook...
Rules are : you cannot use Utah State as a comparison, it’s not fair, they can recruit better and even though they’ve had 5 coaches in 10 years, they were all assistants on the previous staff and they just did what Dutcher did, carry on with the same exact philosophy. You cannot use Odom as an example, it’s not fair, because UNLV football had success and he just built upon it. You cannot use Lindy as an example, UNLV was on the cusp of breaking through, she had every piece in place, plus she had oodles of head coach experience and she was hired at a very high price tag, so she better get it done!

If it can be done in short order, that only means they stepped smack dab in the middle of a perfect situation. Don’t you see that?

/end facetious mode

I am not trying to ignore the bad losses. Not at all. I said this season is not good enough to be the standard.

We are all hungry now. We are at the party and the appetizers are getting old. But brisket is what was purchased. It takes time, that is the point. Most of us wanted steak that would cook up fast, but we don't have that.

Brisket should be done in an hour, it could be good (good brisket can be better than steak) it could be dry roast beef or somewhere in between. I would just prefer to wait and see than to throw it out and order pizza.

I sympathize with your point. Like I said I understand that this is a debatable topic because this year has not been good enough. Those losses hurt bad. My hope is that becomes the harsh lesson for a young coach. If it isn't, then you are right and he may be too stubborn or unable to get his players to play against lesser competition consistently. I fully acknowledge that is a very real possibility.

Beating bad teams seems like an easier fix to expect to correct that is all I am saying. You would think that he would have learned from Southern, then LMU. That is more than fair. I fully understand if that is your stance. The finish to the season ( including boat racing AFA on the road) makes me think that he has learned the lesson. That and general logic. You would think he would have learned by now, especially since he and the players now have to live with the fact that those piss poor outings have put them in their current predicament.

Last edited:
Rules are : you cannot use Utah State as a comparison, it’s not fair, they can recruit better and even though they’ve had 5 coaches in 10 years, they were all assistants on the previous staff and they just did what Dutcher did, carry on with the same exact philosophy. You cannot use Odom as an example, it’s not fair, because UNLV football had success and he just built upon it. You cannot use Lindy as an example, UNLV was on the cusp of breaking through, she had every piece in place, plus she had oodles of head coach experience and she was hired at a very high price tag, so she better get it done!

If it can be done in short order, that only means they stepped smack dab in the middle of a perfect situation. Don’t you see that?

/end facetious mode

Those are pretty bad examples though.

The best example/comp? Richard Pitino. He actually fits the Odom mold. Some success in a power conference ( was even coach of the year). He makes more than Kevin, but not a ton. 1.1 mil I think. Affordable

Would you rather have Richard Pitino?

The past 2 seasons, despite having a very good upperclassmen backcourt with a good post player both years, scheduled weak. Then got into conference play a fell short. Now they may be the team with the best NET to miss the dance if they don't make a run just like we have to.

But Pitino has experience, probably would know better, right?

Some here have stated they would rather have Pitino. I can respect that. They are in better position than we are right now. Personally I like the future potential of Kevin right now over Pitino.

What Lindy has done is fantastic. The Lindy example would work for the men's team if we were in the Big West again. She has a 1-1 record against Quad 1 this season. Different type of Job.

Sure go ahead and use Sprinkle too. Then go ahead and put 5 grand on red 14. Same odds. Actually 1-34 is better odds then finding a coach that has that kind of turnaround in 1 season. You are right it is totally possible. It just happened right in front of our eyes. This is Vegas after all. We are due, right?

I am not trying to ignore the bad losses. Not at all. I said this season is not good enough to be the standard.

We are all hungry now. We are at the party and the appetizers are getting old. But brisket is what was purchased. It takes time, that is the point. Most of us wanted steak that would cook up fast, but we don't have that.

Brisket should be done in an hour, it could be good (good brisket can be better than steak) it could be dry roast beef or somewhere in between. I would just prefer to wait and see than to throw it out and order pizza.
So if we're going to live and die by the BBQ allegory let me try and kind of put it into terms that match my relative impatience with the situation.

You hired a caterer who was brand new and you asked for brisket to be served. Caterer says no problem and you're getting the deal at a discount because he lacks the experience, so you figure there's risk but he's got a good support team with guys from a lot of very successful catering companies and his dad had a brisket outfit that was outstanding. Dinner time is set for 5, the party is hungry and the appetizers are running thin and he says it will just be another hour. Then 6pm rolls around and oh man, it's still not ready. Now people are leaving your party to go get steak elsewhere. He says just give me to 7pm and it will be good, I"m new at this y'know? Now it's 7pm, and it smells pretty good and the last 30 people people are lined up with their plates and you know what it's till not ready, it just needs another hour and if you just wait until 8 it's going to be the best brisket you've had in a long time. Why would i believe that the food would be ready in another hour after we've gotten 3 delays. If you can't cook the brisket, don't take the job or don't pretend like it could be ready at 5pm. Is it partially our fault for hiring a new caterer? Of course, but it doesn't mean that I have to keep paying for it either. They are new, sure, but they are also supposed to be a professional and were hired to meet a standard of brisket by 5 and that's basically a professional failing.

Now the party is empty. This is why my patience has run out. My wife saw the crowd for a few of the games and she was appaled at the attendance And she care a lot more for brisket than UNLV basketball. Now there are some of us who thinks the brisket might be worth it, but I'm at the point where McDonald's sounds better than gambling on a theoretical brisket but I'll wait another hour if I have to, but I also know there's guys out there with brisket ready to fricking go and they can be here by 8. Sure, a new caterer is a risk, but so is holding on to this old one. And I just want to be fed.

Those are pretty bad examples though.

The best example/comp? Richard Pitino. He actually fits the Odom mold. Some success in a power conference ( was even coach of the year). He makes more than Kevin, but not a ton. 1.1 mil I think. Affordable

Would you rather have Richard Pitino?

The past 2 seasons, despite having a very good upperclassmen backcourt with a good post player both years, scheduled weak. Then got into conference play a fell short. Now they may be the team with the best NET to miss the dance if they don't make a run just like we have to.

But Pitino has experience, probably would know better, right?

Some here have stated they would rather have Pitino. I can respect that. They are in better position than we are right now. Personally I like the future potential of Kevin right now over Pitino.

What Lindy has done is fantastic. The Lindy example would work for the men's team if we were in the Big West again. She has a 1-1 record against Quad 1 this season. Different type of Job.

Sure go ahead and use Sprinkle too. Then go ahead and put 5 grand on red 14. Same odds. Actually 1-34 is better odds then finding a coach that has that kind of turnaround in 1 season. You are right it is totally possible. It just happened right in front of our eyes. This is Vegas after all. We are due, right?
Anything that doesn’t fit your actual conclusion is going to be considered a bad example to you, don’t you see that?

I’m not advocating a firing, I think he should get next season, I wasn’t knocked from that thought even when Air Force slapped us around.

But your premises are based upon “what if” straws and “maybes” exclusively, not actual evidence or you give 10x the weight to the good over the poor.

This year has yet to be determined so we don’t know. Perhaps UNLV loses today and they don’t make the NIT … then you look at the three year and anybody slightly objective would say it’s been poor. And that next season has to weigh more towards more of something similar than a breakthrough.

I can see people like yourself mightily clinging to an NIT as a sign of massive improvement, an extension is warranted, lock him up for life. The evidence is there, nothing, nothing, NIT, huge up trending. It’s an easy prediction to make.

Again, I rely on my eyes a lot and try to put blind fanaticism to the side … it skews things massively, imo. If my team sucks, they suck, I can accept it if they do. Don’t have to like it but can accept it. I’ve seen bad year, bad year and a horrifically inconsistent year under his belt, NIT or not, Cinderella run to the NCAAT or not. I don’t snippet the good parts or the bad parts, I try to look at totality and come up with conclusions objectively. I try not to be weighed down by what I want for my team and I understand when fans can’t get out of their own head and allow it and they stick to silver linings and rah rah as their go tos.

I’d much rather have KK here for 20 years with some success than another three/four year failure. I wanted the same with Otz, Marv, Rice, etc. Resetting is God awful, especially considering how it tends to work out for us, coaching searches aren’t exciting to me, they drain me …

Kevin, Kevin,Kevin? Are we going to average 60 points a game from now on? Playing slow and NEVER pushing the ball?
Are we gonna play boring basketball and draw 4 thousand a game from now on? Are we gonna schedule the likes of Carrol College for our expensive non conference home games exclusively again? OR are we gonna get a Runnin Rebel coach who plays Las Vegas style exciting city basketball? Our home record under Kevin is poor. We can do so much better. He is not a Runnin Rebel type coach. Do I like Kevin? Yes. But he is not our guy. Deep underneath, we all know it.
If he wins consistently playing ugly, earning NCAA postseason bids almost every year, we'll learn to love it just like Aztec fans have.

After salvaging what could have been a disaster of a season with a respectable finish I am more than ok with CKK getting another year to prove he knows what he's doing even if we lose today and we don't get to the NCAA or NIT. Whatever he did or said the team responded. Hope we can get one or two strong guards to shore up our backcourt and a talented wing who can score inside and out.

Reactions: unlove and dcut03
Anything that doesn’t fit your actual conclusion is going to be considered a bad example to you, don’t you see that?

I’m not advocating a firing, I think he should get next season, I wasn’t knocked from that thought even when Air Force slapped us around.

But your grasping at a ton of “what if” straws and “maybes” based on hopes and faith, not actual evidence or you weight the good 10x higher than you weight the poor.

This year has yet to be determined so we don’t know. Perhaps UNLV loses today and they don’t make the NIT … then you look at the three year and anybody slightly objective would say it’s been poor. And that next season has to weigh more towards more of something similar than a breakthrough.

I can see people like yourself mightily clinging to an NIT as a sign of massive improvement, an extension is warranted, lock him up for life. The evidence is there, nothing, nothing, NIT, huge up trending. It’s an easy prediction.

Again, I rely on my eyes a lot and try to put blind fanaticism to the side … it skews things massively, imo. If my team sucks, they suck, I can accept it if they do. Don’t have to like it but can accept it. I’ve seen bad year, bad year and a horrifically inconsistent year under his belt, NIT or not, Cinderella run to the NCAAT or not. I don’t snippet the good parts or the bad parts, I try to look at totality and come up with conclusions objectively. I try not to be weighed down by what I want for my team and I understand when fans can’t get out of their own head and allow it and they stick to silver linings and rah rah as their go tos.

I’d much rather have KK here for 20 years with some success than another three/four year failure. I wanted the same with Otz, Marv, Rice, etc. Resetting is God awful, especially considering how it tends to work out for us, coaching searches aren’t exciting to me, they drain me …
But in this case, you can’t blame those of us who think a reset would be best. Like someone else said in another post and I enjoyed his post but I want my brisket NOW not later! My hope is Harper moves on from Kevin like he did Arroyo but hey that’s just my opinion!

Reactions: Rebel Hoya

But your grasping at a ton of “what if” straws and “maybes” based on hopes and faith, not actual evidence or you weight the good 10x higher than you weight the poor.

I can see people like yourself mightily clinging to an NIT as a sign of massive improvement, an extension is warranted, lock him up for life. The evidence is there, nothing, nothing, NIT, huge up trending. It’s an easy prediction.

One thing I leaned from KU vs Cincinnati game last night. You have to have a bench. If the most successful program in Big 12 can't recruit how do you make a bench better. Tark did it, Kruger did it with tremendously hard practices. The practices at Baylor and Houston are tougher than the games. Ditto U Conn. The answer is coaching and facilities. We have the facilities but not the coaches to push improvement in practice. KK calls it attitude. I call it lack of a scheme. Watch BYU vs Texas Tech to see if shooting form as in BYU beats defense as in TT. As I said earlier, season tickets for me are a question mark because of the scheme. Boring basketball is bad for players and fans.

So if we're going to live and die by the BBQ allegory let me try and kind of put it into terms that match my relative impatience with the situation.

You hired a caterer who was brand new and you asked for brisket to be served. Caterer says no problem and you're getting the deal at a discount because he lacks the experience, so you figure there's risk but he's got a good support team with guys from a lot of very successful catering companies and his dad had a brisket outfit that was outstanding. Dinner time is set for 5, the party is hungry and the appetizers are running thin and he says it will just be another hour. Then 6pm rolls around and oh man, it's still not ready. Now people are leaving your party to go get steak elsewhere. He says just give me to 7pm and it will be good, I"m new at this y'know? Now it's 7pm, and it smells pretty good and the last 30 people people are lined up with their plates and you know what it's till not ready, it just needs another hour and if you just wait until 8 it's going to be the best brisket you've had in a long time. Why would i believe that the food would be ready in another hour after we've gotten 3 delays. If you can't cook the brisket, don't take the job or don't pretend like it could be ready at 5pm. Is it partially our fault for hiring a new caterer? Of course, but it doesn't mean that I have to keep paying for it either. They are new, sure, but they are also supposed to be a professional and were hired to meet a standard of brisket by 5 and that's basically a professional failing.

Now the party is empty. This is why my patience has run out. My wife saw the crowd for a few of the games and she was appaled at the attendance And she care a lot more for brisket than UNLV basketball. Now there are some of us who thinks the brisket might be worth it, but I'm at the point where McDonald's sounds better than gambling on a theoretical brisket but I'll wait another hour if I have to, but I also know there's guys out there with brisket ready to fricking go and they can be here by 8. Sure, a new caterer is a risk, but so is holding on to this old one. And I just want to be fed.
The problems with this is that the party (fans) all are expecting steak from the beginning. All of them like brisket when its ready, but they are hungry now. They were told it would be brisket and not steak, but most of the party is not willing to wait, even though they would really enjoy the brisket ( if it turns out) when it is done.

But the party also has a band that wants brisket (DJ). He has been entertaining the crowd, but will leave if the brisket is thrown out. Everyone loves the band. The party has been clamoring for a band that they like for over a decade.

Fans may leave. But fans are not to be trusted. You don't need to charge the guests at the door because the food was cheap, you can afford to have them walk.

I respect your opinion. I understand your take that the job is the job and everyone should have the same expectations as previous coaches. That is fair and rational.

I do think that we actually are close on this. The main difference I think is that you don't think he is that close and I think he probably is. Its not a great situation, but i'd like to wait one more year before making a move.

One thing I leaned from KU vs Cincinnati game last night. You have to have a bench. If the most successful program in Big 12 can't recruit how do you make a bench better. Tark did it, Kruger did it with tremendously hard practices. The practices at Baylor and Houston are tougher than the games. Ditto U Conn. The answer is coaching and facilities. We have the facilities but not the coaches to push improvement in practice. KK calls it attitude. I call it lack of a scheme. Watch BYU vs Texas Tech to see if shooting form as in BYU beats defense as in TT. As I said earlier, season tickets for me are a question mark because of the scheme. Boring basketball is bad for players and fans.
I mean, as someone who watches KU, losing Dickenson and McCullar is 38ppg and no bench as young and talented as they are is going to make that difference up as full time starters. KUs issues are around shooting, they don't shoot the 3 well and when you get down in a game and can't shoot and you're missing your inside presence it's not a good recipe. It'd be like us losing Both Boones and LuRod and expect Hicks and JJ to make up their productivity. KUs bench is adequate at being bench players, but not replacing 2 All Americans...

But your premises are based upon “what if” straws and “maybes” exclusively, not actual evidence or you give 10x the weight to the good over the poor.

I can see people like yourself mightily clinging to an NIT as a sign of massive improvement, an extension is warranted, lock him up for life. The evidence is there, nothing, nothing, NIT, huge up trending. It’s an easy prediction to make.

So tell me why Pitino is bad example again? Just because I brought it up? He fits your Barry Odom example quite well actually. I told you exactly why your examples are not very valid. UNM has been in a shockingly similar situation to us. I honestly don't know if there is a better comparison.

People like me who will be clamoring for an extension? Joe, I have said over and over, no extension unless we make the NCAAT. Stop exaggerating my viewpoint to make yours sound better. You do this all the time. Make your points without putting words into my mouth.

That being said, the NIT is a pretty big step forward considering it would be the best finish since 2013, in a year where it it is the most difficult to make the NIT since power conferences are gifted bids that didn't earn them. Its not what we ultimately are happy with, but a step forward nonetheless. I do think a less than NCAAT is worth playing with enough core players expected to return to build off. DJ/Whaley/Hicks/ Nowell/Cottrell to a lesser degree. Generally I don't the the CBI, but this year maybe if for sure they know that they want to retain Kevin.

I look at things very objectively myself. No one here is saying that Kevin is for sure the answer. You act like it is happening, referencing Kumbayaa when literally no one is doing that. I actually try to look at our situation as if it was a program I didn't care about and form opinions on that. It's not easy. I usually have to avoid Rebel-Net for 24 hours after a loss. Because I am livid. My personal view is that a coach should not be fired if they are showing progress and have a young coach. Especially for a team that can't hold on to coaches and have a established history of letting go coaches early.

Do you think UNM should fire Pitino if they miss the tournament? Talking about being objective.

The terrible losses happened. And yes they are terrible losses. Some of the worst losses in recent history, and we have had a bad recent history. We are all pissed about these games. Everyone talks about these games, very few talk about the good stuff, and there has been good stuff. No acknowledging the good stuff this year is the same as claiming that I don't acknowledge the bad. But guess what, I do acknowledge the bad, nearly every post.

Mostly its a bad example because UNM is in a position to make the NCAA tournament as an at large both this year and last year, and last year had to settle for NIT. Im not sure if they make it this year either, personally Im rooting for them to win today which will likely make them an at large team. Pitino had several more years of high level experience than Kevin when hired, so he has a small bank of good will built up. Pitino wont be on the hot seat this year but he will absolutely come in a little warm next year if they miss again.
I also doubt we make the NIT this year- would need to be selected as one of the 20 at large teams and I dont see it, I dont care how close they say we are to the bubble, unless we win today. So another year without the post season.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT