ADVERTISEMENT

Future of CKK

Anything that doesn’t fit your actual conclusion is going to be considered a bad example to you, don’t you see that?

I’m not advocating a firing, I think he should get next season, I wasn’t knocked from that thought even when Air Force slapped us around.

But your premises are based upon “what if” straws and “maybes” exclusively, not actual evidence or you give 10x the weight to the good over the poor.

This year has yet to be determined so we don’t know. Perhaps UNLV loses today and they don’t make the NIT … then you look at the three year and anybody slightly objective would say it’s been poor. And that next season has to weigh more towards more of something similar than a breakthrough.

I can see people like yourself mightily clinging to an NIT as a sign of massive improvement, an extension is warranted, lock him up for life. The evidence is there, nothing, nothing, NIT, huge up trending. It’s an easy prediction to make.

Again, I rely on my eyes a lot and try to put blind fanaticism to the side … it skews things massively, imo. If my team sucks, they suck, I can accept it if they do. Don’t have to like it but can accept it. I’ve seen bad year, bad year and a horrifically inconsistent year under his belt, NIT or not, Cinderella run to the NCAAT or not. I don’t snippet the good parts or the bad parts, I try to look at totality and come up with conclusions objectively. I try not to be weighed down by what I want for my team and I understand when fans can’t get out of their own head and allow it and they stick to silver linings and rah rah as their go tos.

I’d much rather have KK here for 20 years with some success than another three/four year failure. I wanted the same with Otz, Marv, Rice, etc. Resetting is God awful, especially considering how it tends to work out for us, coaching searches aren’t exciting to me, they drain me …
a Splash hire is the only way to go. If we keep him and the offseason (recruiting and keeping the better players) lets say does not go in our favor then we wasted yet another year of Under 20 wins and no post season. Boring basketball and empty seats. IMO recruiting might just go way down going into next year with a coach that might get fired end of the year if not this. I would be willing to bet that we get a proven coach and there are some gems out there that fan excitement goes up recruiting will go up NIL money will go up ( dont know how much influence dad has). Hearing that Mack will take the Vanderbilt job.

Mostly its a bad example because UNM is in a position to make the NCAA tournament as an at large both this year and last year, and last year had to settle for NIT. Im not sure if they make it this year either, personally Im rooting for them to win today which will likely make them an at large team. Pitino had several more years of high level experience than Kevin when hired, so he has a small bank of good will built up. Pitino wont be on the hot seat this year but he will absolutely come in a little warm next year if they miss again.
I also doubt we make the NIT this year- would need to be selected as one of the 20 at large teams and I dont see it, I dont care how close they say we are to the bubble, unless we win today. So another year without the post season.
Pitino's two freshmen are really good. Is it allowing them to play or did KK's not getting a back up pg come home. Injuries hurt UNLV dramatically this year as Hill went down, Nowell went down, no big center recruited came home to hurt depth.

Reactions: LVRebel2000
Pitino's two freshmen are really good. Is it allowing them to play or did KK's not getting a back up pg come home. Injuries hurt UNLV dramatically this year as Hill went down, Nowell went down, no big center recruited came home to hurt depth.
I don't think it's necessarily injuries but rather roster construction to begin with, and has been CKK's issue since being hired... I don't think Hills injury was an issue as it allowed Whaley to get a starting role and he's excelled. I think it's a talent evaluation problem and bringing in guys in past years that they wanted to be consistent but never showed they can be. Guys like Webster/JJ3/Nowell were to inconsistent to be considered guys you should've depended on, Nowell got hurt yeah, but that didn't hamper team as he would've been in a similar role as he is now.. and then we wasted a scholarship on a guy that might not be eligible? Add in Cottrell looking this year like a guy who plays ball at the Rec not D1 and Rounding out with Jones who is another scholarship guy that well flashes a moment here or there isn't a really a MWC caliber D1 player... it's a mess

We will find out for sure on Sunday but my guess is season is over. I don't see a nit invite. I guess they could always accept a cbi invite but really hoping they don't.
One more season of no post season play.
Kevin is more than likely going to have to replace a big chunck of the team. Does Harper start the coaching search or does he give Kevin another year? Me personally am still very split on this. If he keeps Kevin imo Harper needs to be clear NCAAT next year or pack your bags, no exceptions. Plus Kevin needs to figure out how to actually build a solid roster. If he goes Harper better have a homeowner coach lined up. No need to get more of the same just different faces.

Reactions: 76RunninRebel
We will find out for sure on Sunday but my guess is season is over. I don't see a nit invite. I guess they could always accept a cbi invite but really hoping they don't.
Kevin is more than likely going to have to replace a big chunck of the team. Does Harper start the coaching search or does he give Kevin another year? Me personally am still very split on this. If he keeps Kevin imo Harper needs to be clear NCAAT next year or pack your bags, no exceptions. Plus Kevin needs to figure out how to actually build a solid roster. If he goes Harper better have a homeowner coach lined up. No need to get more of the same just different faces.
NCAA or bust was supposed to be the line in the sand this year. Now it’s create a lame duck coach who wastes another year of Rebel basketball? Think globally and think change from Arroyo in football. Let’s do this Harper!

NCAA or bust was supposed to be the line in the sand this year. Now it’s create a lame duck coach who wastes another year of Rebel basketball? Think globally and think change from Arroyo in football. Let’s do this Harper!
I agree with pretty much what you posted. Harper made a great hire for football (being a football guy) but can he do the same with basketball? Does UNLV have the money to make an impact hire? Either way I doubt you see anything happen before the nit field is announced. There is a small chance UNLV makes the nit and if they do i think that will save Krugers job for one more year.
Maybe it is just my flawed thinking but I have zero faith UNLV would make the right coaching hire.

I agree with pretty much what you posted. Harper made a great hire for football (being a football guy) but can he do the same with basketball? Does UNLV have the money to make an impact hire? Either way I doubt you see anything happen before the nit field is announced. There is a small chance UNLV makes the nit and if they do i think that will save Krugers job for one more year.
Maybe it is just my flawed thinking but I have zero faith UNLV would make the right coaching hire.
This has been a legitimate concern with past AD’s but I have hope in Harper!

But in this case, you can’t blame those of us who think a reset would be best. Like someone else said in another post and I enjoyed his post but I want my brisket NOW not later! My hope is Harper moves on from Kevin like he did Arroyo but hey that’s just my opinion!
I absolutely DO NOT blame fans if they feel like a reset is best right now. It’s not a crazy, out of this world take. It’s just as viable as the keep him opinion. I can see myself make either claim. I do feel like, short of at least a (apparent/expected) upgrade, you stay with him. if Harp were to can him, I wouldn’t be upset if it was followed with a good hire. Would be pissed if we grabbed Marvin Menzies‘ little brother. I won’t be upset if he keeps him with a red hot hotseat year.

We can’t go 10 years without an NCAAT. A school record that’s been growing year by year.

We can’t keep losing in front of the home fans’ eyes. How many this year? Its unacceptable.

My favorite season every couple of years is watching March Madness and wondering which hot mid-major teams coach will UNLV try to get... (sarcasm) ...

Followed by us winning the transfer portal ...

I sure hope this not about who I think…
Of course it is, that’s why they posted when they did. No inside knowledge but why would he waste another year with this coach. My argument would be that the only way we keep DJ is with the hiring of a better coach. We shall see though.

I absolutely DO NOT blame fans if they feel like a reset is best right now. It’s not a crazy, out of this world take. It’s just as viable as the keep him opinion. I can see myself make either claim. I do feel like, short of at least a (apparent/expected) upgrade, you stay with him. if Harp were to can him, I wouldn’t be upset if it was followed with a good hire. Would be pissed if we grabbed Marvin Menzies‘ little brother. I won’t be upset if he keeps him with a red hot hotseat year.

We can’t go 10 years without an NCAAT. A school record that’s been growing year by year.

We can’t keep losing in front of the home fans’ eyes. How many this year? Its unacceptable.
10 years of not only no NCAA but also no getting past the quarterfinals of this damn tournament on our home court. Embarrassing.

Meanwhile SDSU has MADE it to the Semis of this tournament 17 straight years. And some people on the board act like coaching isn’t a key factor.

10 years of not only no NCAA but also no getting past the quarterfinals of this damn tournament on our home court. Embarrassing.

Meanwhile SDSU has MADE it to the Semis of this tournament 17 straight years. And some people on the board act like coaching isn’t a key factor.
I think coaching is a huge issue. I don't see UNLV getting much better with the current staff. If Harper were to hire a Menzies Jr, I would say that would be it for me but I don't think I could ever get UNLV out of my blood. But I sure would make sure Harper knew how disappointed I would be (not that he would care). Maybe I should have more faith in Hdon't. In hiring a basketball coach but I just dont.

I think coaching is a huge issue. I don't see UNLV getting much better with the current staff. If Harper were to hire a Menzies Jr, I would say that would be it for me but I don't think I could ever get UNLV out of my blood. But I sure would make sure Harper knew how disappointed I would be (not that he would care). Maybe I should have more faith in Hdon't. In hiring a basketball coach but I just dont.
Dutcher told the broadcasters that priority #1,2,3 etc against UNLV was rebounding…period. Apparently our side didn’t feel the same.

Reactions: rebelzzz
I believe his football hire took guts and showed some vision!
He has earned some benefit of the doubt in my mind!

Last edited:
Reactions: Meister_Rebel
No inside info but I expect a bunch of players that still have eligibility left will not be part of the team next year. In fact I wouldn't be surprised to see 8-10 new players next year.
I said this mid year when we were talking about Kruger being fired. There's already a reset coming. Besides the Seniors, I doubt I'd ask Cottrell back, or JJ3, probably let Nowell go elsewhere, which means you're losing everyone but Hill/Hicks/Whaley/DTJ and that one guy who is redshirting... Bring in a new coach and you're not really losing much. New coach might be able to keep Whaley and DTJ around but I'm all for trying something else now rather than waste another year. Imagine how great 2026 would look with realignment if our athletic program had mens amd women's Basketball and Football winning the championship...

Djt sez he's coming back. You are crazy to get a new coach and a star leaves this year. Probably lots of guys would want to play with him.

Reactions: LVRebel2000
No inside info but I expect a bunch of players that still have eligibility left will not be part of the team next year. In fact I wouldn't be surprised to see 8-10 new players next year.

There was a ton of inconsistency this season (obviously) and maybe there is things that happened off the court that we don’t know about that CKK knows about. Well, we know there was a dui before the season.

I think we’ll head to the nit, make the best of it and reset for next year with some dawgs next to DJ, he clearly needs someone to take the pressure off.

Why? CKK has had a scoring star for 3 straight years and we've failed to accomplish anything except being competitive in 2 games vs the worst SDSU team in 5 years...
Bryce was an amazing star and we didn't do anything with him. DJ had a phenomenal season as a freshman and can only get better but I'm not handicapping the program just because he might transfer if they axed Kruger. Sure he might attract other talent to play with him or we lose him and are still stick with CKK... nothing is guaranteed

Reactions: butta1231
We're solidly in the NIT.

Why? CKK has had a scoring star for 3 straight years and we've failed to accomplish anything except being competitive in 2 games vs the worst SDSU team in 5 years...
Bryce was an amazing star and we didn't do anything with him. DJ had a phenomenal season as a freshman and can only get better but I'm not handicapping the program just because he might transfer if they axed Kruger. Sure he might attract other talent to play with him or we lose him and are still stick with CKK... nothing is guaranteed
Let’s not forget DTJr was supposed to attract some guys from AAU ball and that did not happen? We can’t bank on the 18 year old for everything, recruiting is Kevin’s job!

Reactions: Meister_Rebel
I truly have never seen a team with decent athletes get so destroyed on boards in big games. Outrebounded by 19 tonight. 25 sdsu offensive rebounds and unlv 22 defensive rebounds. How is that even possib
You keep Cottrell on the bench. Whaley has one leg. Nowell who hasn't played all year is doing a great job defensively on blocking out his man, but his offense is non existent sitting in the corner. Coaches fault, all day all night.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT