ADVERTISEMENT

Depth chart came out....

Friel is still around, no? Dude was Freshman of the Year for the MWC.

He is and he was but he looked like damaged goods last year. He took a beating his freshman year. Towards the end of that season he started making some bad decisions. He got happy feet. Started feeling pressure that wasn't there.

It carried over into the next season.

He is and he was but he looked like damaged goods last year. He took a beating his freshman year. Towards the end of that season he started making some bad decisions. He got happy feet. Started feeling pressure that wasn't there.

He's ok now? He is a good player.

Friel is still around, no? Dude was Freshman of the Year for the MWC.
Friel might be worse than Doug since that season... yeah harsh criticism, but there's a reason he got recruited over...

That's my analysis as well... he's shell shocked and there's a reason he got sent to back of depth chart. Even in his short stints since, he was ineffective and the offense spurted around him

Reactions: RRebel
Friel might be worse than Brum....if Brum head is messed up Friel can help a little, no?

Friel might be worse than Doug since that season... yeah harsh criticism, but there's a reason he got recruited over...

That's my analysis as well... he's shell shocked and there's a reason he got sent to back of depth chart. Even in his short stints since, he was ineffective and the offense spurted around him

Considering he was a true freshman that also lost his senior season to Covid restrictions in Hawaii I thought he performed admirably. Thought there was something to work with there.

But yeah he took an absolute beating that year and hasn't looked the same since.

Good night, Gents and lady. I would like to see more discussion about plays and players strengths to improves to get to bowl status. Nite fellas.

Good night, Gents and lady. I would like to see more discussion about plays and players strengths to improves to get to bowl status. Nite fellas.
Talking about players that would help get to boel status...Can we talk about the 2nd or 3rd elephant in the room, a player who hasnt been available for last 2 weeks or are we not allowed to talk about what's going on there?

Talking about players that would help get to boel status...Can we talk about the 2nd or 3rd elephant in the room, a player who hasnt been available for last 2 weeks or are we not allowed to talk about what's going on there?

Who Scott?

I'm surprised. Based on a promising freshman season.

Injured last year.

Word is he's healthy but running scout team.

Why that is, don't know.

Who Scott?

I'm surprised. Based on a promising freshman season.

Injured last year.

Word is he's healthy but running scout team.

Why that is, don't know.
I've heard that he just isn't quite up to speed yet. ACL's can take a while to get right.

He may be referring to Zavier Carter? Did he play last game. I didn't hear his name called during the broadcast.

I’m seeing that they are saying it’s bruised ribs. Anybody that’s played any sport - not even a sport - bruised ribs hurt like hell.
In the presser he mentions ribs and his hip.

Limited in practice early this week. Not sure if Odom is playing some stategic games or not. But it looks like Doug may not be healthy enough to play this week.

I like how Odom has that subtle dig against our kicker that about the one he missed, lol.

He also threw some mild shade a Jaden about passes not being on target.

It may be a motivation tool, or the fact he knew that JM has made his fair share of mistakes.

Maybe both.

Reactions: LVRebel2000
In general, you don't lose your job due to an injury. JM certainly looks the part, but if a staff starts demoting people because they got banged up you're sending a message to your kids that none of the work they put in matters at the end of the day. DB won the job with an excellent spring and had a series of poor games, but he got the hook against Bryant for being up big, the ho8ok against Michigan for being down big, and the hook against Vandy for getting hurt.

If he had gotten the hook for playing like an Alabama QB 2 or 3 games then you have a different discussion, but if the staff doesn't show loyalty to the team captain in this situation, then you play a dangerous game of possibly losing the team/locker room.

In general, you don't lose your job due to an injury. JM certainly looks the part, but if a staff starts demoting people because they got banged up you're sending a message to your kids that none of the work they put in matters at the end of the day. DB won the job with an excellent spring and had a series of poor games, but he got the hook against Bryant for being up big, the ho8ok against Michigan for being down big, and the hook against Vandy for getting hurt.

If he had gotten the hook for playing like an Alabama QB 2 or 3 games then you have a different discussion, but if the staff doesn't show loyalty to the team captain in this situation, then you play a dangerous game of possibly losing the team/locker room.
Per @lobbybuu this team is already behind Maiava on the field and locker room and has been that way for some time. Not saying they are against DB just saying what was told here earlier.

Reactions: UNLVbro

This is entirely how you can lose your starting job... You get knocked out for a game or 2 and your replacement takes control. Happens if you have a competent backup that comes in and plays really well(most mid-tier non SEC/P5 schools don't). Coaches roll with hot hands. Ask JT Daniels, who lost his job multiple times because of injuries.

This is entirely how you can lose your starting job... You get knocked out for a game or 2 and your replacement takes control. Happens if you have a competent backup that comes in and plays really well(most mid-tier non SEC/P5 schools don't). Coaches roll with hot hands. Ask JT Daniels, who lost his job multiple times because of injuries.
Of course you can lose your job to injury, but it's almost never after a single game. Take JT Daniels at Georgia as your example. He was held out of the competiton until his personal doctor cleared him from his ACL in 2020. Bennett was named the starter after Mathis stunk it up, and then Daniels was the starter at the end of the year only after Bennett hurt his shoulder and was shut down for the season. He was the front runner to be the starter but Kirby Smart was very clear that it was an open competition in 2021. He won the starting job but hurt his oblique/Lat on his throwing side. He missed 2 games after the opener, and was given the starting position back. and he left that game in the 1st half after re-aggravating the injury. He then missed another 5 weeks and got a fill in for a struggling Bennett, then was a DNP until mop up duty against Charleston Southern after which he didn't appear again. He transferred because he felt like he lost his starting job because of injury.

He didn't miss one game and get replaced, he missed 7 of 8 because of a nagging injury and felt wronged by the process.

Edit: He also lost the starting job at USC after he blew his ACL in week 2 of 2019, but again that's not what we're talking about with Brumfield and Maiava

Last edited:
If Doug starts and UNLV starts the game with a couple of series of three and outs and it includes some shoddy passes, I wouldn't be surprised to see Maiava get a set or two and see how that goes.
I really don't like that, I like having a firm #1 that stays until season's end. But #1 has got to perform.

@j. spilotro has said for a long time that he wouldnt like if Maiava overtakes Doug because of injury. I now agree with that sentiment because it shows that Maiava couldnt overtake Doug in practice/scrimmages.

I also think it could be a double edged sword because what if Maiava just didnt know the playbook well but now that hes getting PT, its all coming together for him? I think thats what happened tbh. Just my two cents though.

To me... In a season, especially with 3 winnable games in a row, why rush him back and risk injury or the same basic protected play hes shown post injury in past, when you have a more than capable QB behind him thats healthy and looks much better under the new staff/system. And if we win all 3 games, you continue to ride the hot hand and life moves on, hopefully to a lot more wins as the season progresses...
At this point, I want to win games and I ask myself, what would I rather see? a young Maiava who has looked good when hes taken a snap, where the offense moves the ball and gets its best players involved...

I think teams don’t fear DB. When was the last time he really flung the ball on target? So teams can really load up the box and completely shuts down the offense with him. With Maiava they actually have to respect a pass beyond the line of scrimmage and can’t just load up the box.

I don’t think you make this move unless it is very clear that Maiava is the guy from here on out. It’s the 3rd game of the year, they are 2-1… making this move complicates your relationship and trust in Doug If you want to move back to him at some point. He’s a Captain of the team so I don’t think there is a trust issue with his teammates as some have suggested. Maiava did have a good game, but it’s one game and not a full one at that. My biggest concern is Brumfields inability to stay healthy. Hard to rely on someone who is constantly out and then having to turn to your backup who hasn’t seen that many reps in practice (they drop off considerably once camp ends). The coaching staff knows their personnel A LOT better than any of us, so I put my trust in their decision.

I think teams don’t fear DB. When was the last time he really flung the ball on target? So teams can really load up the box and completely shuts down the offense with him. With Maiava they actually have to respect a pass beyond the line of scrimmage and can’t just load up the box.
And everything he throws is within a few yards of the line of scrimmage. If you don’t at least occasionally go downfield … it’s going to be easy covers.

Will this team continue to get better or will they become stagnant like old rebel teams. Hopefully they continue to learn and improve week to week. I like Maiava when it comes to running the gogo offense he opens up the play book. From everything I’ve read and seen on the go go offense you need a QB who can put the ball in the air. I have no problem with Doug starting QB if they would design the offense around his strengths. Look at 49ers with Alex Smith last few years he was there. He wasn’t very accurate at distance but they designed the offense around what he’s able to do and they was successful.

This is my thing. We have not seen a very good comparison in games with Doug and Jaden this season.

First game was a vanilla offense with a huge lead. Second game we were way overmatched and Jaden's minutes were in garbage time (against mostly back ups).

Last game Doug started with 2 good completions for a first down. 2 bad running plays, then the pick from getting smashed due to poor pass protection ( BO mentioned that the RB missed his assignment).
He is now hurt. He powers through and comes back. Run for 2 yards. False start. Misses R. White. Then sacked again with poor protection.

That's it.

We haven't really seen Doug in a competitive game with a full playbook this season. We just haven't. We adjusted our pass protection after that second hit and Jaden had more time to throw in general the rest of the game.

People like to forget that Doug has won/kept us in game by himself in the past. He had the most success extending plays with both runs and passes downfield. The past seasons he was described as the best arm in the QB room ( which included JM). Dude has the arm to push it downfield and has done in in the past. To say he is unable to throw the ball downfield just false.

He has also had complete no shows in certain games before this season. Not denying that. At least with Arroyo he seemed to have more success "off schedule" vs within the offense. That definitely was a problem. But to be fair to him it felt that all the QBs had trouble within the offense.

But for me I want to see a relative healthy DB for at least a half with a full playbook before I write him off. Especially if the coaching staff believes in him.

Last edited:
This is my thing. We have not seen a very good comparison in games with Doug and Jaden this season.

First game was a vanilla offense with a huge lead. Second game we were way overmatched and Jaden's minutes were in garbage time (against mostly back ups).

Last game Doug started with 2 good completions for a first down. A bad run, then the pick from getting smashed due to poor pass protection ( BO mentioned that the RB missed his assignment).
He is now hurt. He powers through and comes back. Run for 2 yards. False start. Misses R. White. Then sacked again with poor protection.

That's it.

We haven't really seen Doug in a competitive game with a full playbook this season. We just haven't. We adjusted our pass protection after that second hit and Jaden had more time to throw in general the rest of the game.

People like to forget that Doug has won/kept us in game by himself in the past. He had the most success extending plays with both runs and passes downfield. The past seasons he was described as the best arm in the QB room ( which included JM). Dude has the arm to push it downfield and has done in in the past. To say he is unable to throw the ball downfield just false.

He has also had complete no shows in certain games before this season. Not denying that. At least with Arroyo he seemed to have more success "off schedule" vs within the offense. That definitely was a problem. But to be fair to him it felt that all the QBs had trouble within the offense.

But for me I want to see a relative healthy DB for at least a half with a full playbook before I write him off. Especially if the coaching staff believes in him.
Agreed. Hopefully he can get healthy and show why he won the job.

Reactions: rebneck
Ask Drew Bledsoe

Ask Drew Bledsoe
So, first of all the pro game is a lot different, especially back then when almost nobody's contract was fully guaranteed. Very few coaches or organizations have to stay loyal to professional players over the good of the franchise. Feeling good about being confident in your 6th round pick so you can trade away your biggest contract is a luxury in salary cap football not many people in the history of the game have had. You can also point out Favre/Majkowski who only missed 2 weeks but kept trying to play hurt when he could. Trent Green and Tommy Maddox both lost their jobs due to injury--though those were both career enders.

Also, Bledsoe missed 6.5 weeks, and even after he was cleared by his own admission he wasn't 100%. A long injury is a different problem to deal with than something that's going to be a week to week issue.

Maybe DB is a practice QB. He can do well in practice but when it comes to game time he underperforms. Some guys are like that.
Who was our quarterback that exactly fits this description? I

Who was our quarterback that exactly fits this description? I
I'm not sure about football--Rocky Hinds or Armani Rogers maybe? I'm always reminded about Donovan Stewart when it comes to difference in practice and games though it's a hoops problem. I couldn't understand how much burn he was getting in games and I had more than one person say there were times where he was 'clearly' the best player on the court in practice.

Did they ever come out and say what the issue is with Brumfield? I can't remember seeing a specific injury that was listed. I'm pretty sure that he didn't travel with the team to UTEP, so that would mean that he wasn't even cleared to play in an emergency situation. Anyone have insight into what the story is with him?

Did they ever come out and say what the issue is with Brumfield? I can't remember seeing a specific injury that was listed. I'm pretty sure that he didn't travel with the team to UTEP, so that would mean that he wasn't even cleared to play in an emergency situation. Anyone have insight into what the story is with him?
I could be wrong but I believe in last week's Monday presser, Odom said it was hip and rib?

Today said "undisclosed"... read into that what you may... seems if he's not up to full speed today he's not starting Saturday...

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT