ADVERTISEMENT

Way Too Early 2024 Depth Chart

lobbybuu

Retired Number
Dec 29, 2022
I think the RB room will be a committee, but from what I've heard about Kylin James, I think he will get carries first and be the back in at the end of games. I'd like to see De Jesus out of the backfield more too.

Thoughts and comments? I'm interested in hearing everyones opinion on this.

I see nothing egregious on your list. I’d love if Burrell gets active experience, and the RB committee will make that happen.

Reactions: bcvegaspt
I think the RB room will be a committee, but from what I've heard about Kylin James, I think he will get carries first and be the back in at the end of games. I'd like to see De Jesus out of the backfield more too.

Like the idea of DeJesus getting some carries out of the backfield, his ability as a pass catcher also puts pressure on the defense. He filled in admirably in bowl game playing a lot of running back. I don't see him getting a ton of carries but more than last season and not just jet sweeps.

Honestly it could go a lot of different ways and it could change week to week who gets the bulk of the carries.

James has really good hands especially for a bigger back. So does Allen.

I think you could see similiar splits in carries to what we saw this year.

Not always something people think of but ability to pass protect is important. James is a big guy, good hands as mentioned. Could be in a lot in 3 and 5+ yard situations.

I think WRs are dead on. Would not be surprised to see Ricky's yardage total and catches drop some but yards per catch go up.

I can see UNLV being much better running the ball this year limiting opportunities but resulting in more big plays downfield.

Last edited:
There is another transfer portal opportunity after spring practice. Are Rebels active? Which positions are targeted?

Reactions: Bullmastiff 1

If UNLV did not get Sluka, who would be our QB1? I think some of the "athletes" in the commits will get some burn at WR too. Our FB might be that transfer from KSU.

Like the idea of DeJesus getting some carries out of the backfield, his ability as a pass catcher also puts pressure on the defense. He filled in admirably in bowl game playing a lot of running back. I don't see him getting a ton of carries but more than last season and not just jet sweeps.

Honestly it could go a lot of different ways and it could change week to week who gets the bulk of the carries.

James has really good hands especially for a bigger back. So does Allen.

I think you could see similiar splits in carries to what we saw this year.

Not always something people think of but ability to pass protect is important. James is a big guy, good hands as mentioned. Could be in a lot in 3 and 5+ yard situations.

I think WRs are dead on. Would not be surprised to see Ricky's yardage total and catches drop some but yards per catch go up.

I can see UNLV being much better running the ball this year limiting opportunities but resulting in more big plays downfield.
Our inability to run the ball the last 1/2 to 1/3rd of last season really hurt us. Put a lot on Maiava to make stuff happen when you are regularly facing 3rd and long after getting bubkus after trying to run it on 1st and second. Also really tough to run tempo when you cant run the ball and get firsts on 1st and second downs, which is a big component of the Go-Go.

Without some OL additions, it is tough for me to expect a huge change there. I thought we had good enough backs to be successful in the run game last season. Though I do think our RB room with have more talent and be deeper next season which is a definite plus. But RB's need holes to be successful. Our returners will have more experience in the system which helps. Also OL tends to typically get better with just being more seasoned since it takes years to have the combination of size, strength, athleticism, and awareness with those positions.

Our inability to run the ball the last 1/2 to 1/3rd of last season really hurt us. Put a lot on Maiava to make stuff happen when you are regularly facing 3rd and long after getting bubkus after trying to run it on 1st and second. Also really tough to run tempo when you cant run the ball and get firsts on 1st and second downs, which is a big component of the Go-Go.

Without some OL additions, it is tough for me to expect a huge change there. I thought we had good enough backs to be successful in the run game last season. Though I do think our RB room with have more talent and be deeper next season which is a definite plus. But RB's need holes to be successful. Our returners will have more experience in the system which helps. Also OL tends to typically get better with just being more seasoned since it takes years to have the combination of size, strength, athleticism, and awareness with those positions.

I expect some natural progression guys improving on the Oline.

Sluka can do a lot with his legs, read option becomes a much bigger factor this year (along with RPO)

I agree Oline is a question mark a bit. But I think they get a little better.

I expect some natural progression guys improving on the Oline.

Sluka can do a lot with his legs, read option becomes a much bigger factor this year (along with RPO)

I agree Oline is a question mark a bit. But I think they get a little better.
The fact Sluka is a better runner alone should help with the O-line. Now they defense also needs to worry about Sluka running the ball as an option.

The fact Sluka is a better runner alone should help with the O-line. Now they defense also needs to worry about Sluka running the ball as an option.
True, but still got to create holes the ole fashion way.

Most of our handoffs look like they could be Read options, and a better running QB will tie up an end. But still, more consistent holes need to be there.

Reactions: reagan21
My thoughts exactly. How does a heralded guy from ACC transfer to UNLV and get 3rd string?

Familiarity with Jet and him having a pretty good freshman season. Had the most rushing TDs for a freshman in the country.

Next part purely numbers no knock on Jet.

Davis and Lester both had longer rushes than Jet. Both averaged more yards per carry (negligible really Jet 4.7 Lester 4.8) Davis lead team in rushes and rushing yards. Jet had monster game vs Utep with 4 TDs which pumped his total up. (He scored them so they count obviously).

Personally I think Allen takes lead role. Don't sleep on K. James though, dudes 220 and has great hands. If he's better in pass pro than Jet he could take some reps off him in passing downs.

I think carries and how they are distributed will look similar to last year.

One thing I like about Jet, despite being a smaller back he finishes his runs well.

Reactions: LVRebel2000
My thoughts exactly. How does a heralded guy from ACC transfer to UNLV and get 3rd string?
Jet is already familiar with the Go Go. Allen was the 5th leading rusher on his own team last season and a freshman WR out-rushed him. I personally wouldnt call him a heralded guy. He is still a good back, but high school rankings mean nothing.

But like I said in the original post, I think it'll still be a committee so the title of first string and what not isnt the biggest deal.

@jmcnamaraiii I like Green, but gave Burrell the nod because he's already on campus and will have already gone through the strength and conditioning program and spring ball by the time Green arrives.

If I recall, Davis was in a similar position as a P5 transfer that came in heralded as the go to day 1 starter and after the first play from scrimmage had a few games before he got his feet under him. Having Jet as the established guy in the backfield makes the others have to work their way up to the front of the pack. Reese had like 13 carries in week 1 and then it trickled off as the new backs got their offensive legs under them.. Itll all shake out and definitely be by committee, which isnt a bad thing. Fresh legs

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT