ADVERTISEMENT

Depth chart came out....

Disappointed if that’s the case but I’ll put my trust in the coaches. Sure hope JM is getting some reps with the first team in practice given DB’s injury likelihood.

Reactions: LVRebel2000
and Doug Brumfield is still listed as QB1.

He might be QB1 to start the game but, we all know how quickly that can change. I expect Maiava to see some playing time in this game especially if Doug takes a vicious hit or struggles at all.

He might be QB1 to start the game but, we all know how quickly that can change. I expect Maiava to see some playing time in this game especially if Doug takes a vicious hit or struggles at all.
I agree that that can quickly change. Just think of it from Maiava's standpoint. He came in and balled out and the team rallied around him. Now he has to practice all week pretending like everything is okay when he knows he performed much better than Doug.

I agree that that can quickly change. Just think of it from Maiava's standpoint. He came in and balled out and the team rallied around him. Now he has to practice all week pretending like everything is okay when he knows he performed much better than Doug.
I'm sure Ricky White is bummed.

• Angry
Reactions: UNLVbro
Again, not terribly surprised.

And I would imagine that Maiava isn't that surprised either.

They know who knows the playbook better. They know where all of the mistakes were. They know that they had to completely change the coverage schemes to protect the QB. They know how they look in practice.

They know all the things that we DON'T know.

But we ALL know that JM came in and got us a win. Made big plays for us. We all know that he is going to need to stay ready to come in at any time.

Also I think we ALL know that Doug needs to perform to keep his job. If he is healthy and problems persist, there can easily become a change.

Disappointed if that’s the case but I’ll put my trust in the coaches. Sure hope JM is getting some reps with the first team in practice given DB’s injury likelihood.
BO said that Doug was a limited participant today, so JM should be getting a ton of reps this week.

Also stated that Doug will start IF he is healthy.

I think all should relax to see how this week progresses and who actually ends up taking the first snap on Saturday.

Presser: Odom says Brumfield is the starter if he is healthy.

Qualifies it by saying that includes being medically cleared, physically feeling good, and getting enough reps in practice.

That last bit is definitely interesting to me. There may have been a 4th thing, but I have since forgotten....

Presser: Odom says Brumfield is the starter if he is healthy.

Qualifies it by saying that includes being medically cleared, physically feeling good, and getting enough reps in practice.

That last bit is definitely interesting to me. There may have been a 4th thing, but I have since forgotten....

Door left wide open for JM to start, IMO

When you look at Doug and his stats from the first 5 games last year - to the way he looks on the field now there is a STARK difference. I don't believe it's a physical thing - I think the injury just got to him and his decision process isn't there. It also could be an inability to grasp the new offence as quickly as needed. Whatever it is, if he wants to be the man, he needs to turn it around in the next few days. If Maiava gets the start and does well it will be really hard for Doug to come back barring an injury.

@lobbybuu, if Maiava were to take over the starting QB position and stay healthy for the rest of the year, do you think it would have an impact on the recruitment of Karson Gordon? If DB stays as the starter, he'd be a senior next year when Gordon comes in. If Maiava wins it, then he'd only be a Soph next year. I know it's hard to start as a true Freshman, or what sort of perspective Gordon has on the QB situation.

Last edited:
Reactions: bcvegaspt
Ricky White disappearance act.. part 3...
Worse is it was clear he needed the practice time with the 1s to get on the same page. His hot reads were spot on but the WRs were unprepared for them. That changes with more practice time and understanding. If he has to be back with the 2s, that gets messed up again.

From what @lobbybuu had said previously the staff was impressed with Bo Edmundson as well. Possibly another option in the next few years along with Carson. I do think if they keep DB as the starter Maiava would best serve himself by jumping into the portal at the end of the season provided DB stays healthy. If the staff doesn't think Maiava is good enough for this system then so be it. We've seen a lot of Rebel coaches get canned for what they present on the field.

It’s in Barry Odom’s best interest to keep UTEP guessing….UTEP spends all week studying Brum and they we hit them with Maiava

Or

He’s an idiot

It’s kinda binary at this point…..

but we know Brumfield will sneeze incorrectly and break a fingernail and have to come out anyway

Odom is handling this the right way. Doug is one of the best dudes on the planet. Has given his body for the scarlet and gray. It hasn’t worked out how he wanted. He’s fully aware of that. Brum is a little more immunized from the public “losing his job” to a freshman, and the narrative is that he can’t play because he’s injured…which he is

I don't know but he took a hell of a hit to the mid-section. Maybe a bruise if they think it's questionable for him to come back. Nothing too serious I would think.
I missed the game this weekend, and haven't re-watched it yet. Did they never specify the type of injury that he had? Usually they'll come back and say it was a knee, or an ankle, or concussion test, or something. Did they not do anything like that?

I dont think having an experienced Sophomore would discourage a recruit either way. I doubt that the coaches are out recruiting QBs and promising them they would start as a true freshman. They would either have to be way ahead of the current crop or a once in a generation talent that picks UNLV. You come in, redshirt, know that you may have a chance in 2 years to be the guy. College sports are so fluid, between injuries, coaches leaving, and players transferring up that should Maiava have that kind of break out year next year as well, he gets those big P5 schools with more money and exposure.. Thats the reality of a small school QB in this new NIL world. Besides, you always go with the best talent and play, if you are not doing that as a staff, youre not doing your job correctly.

He was throwing up in a garbage can. Could be concussion, probably ribs. At first glance I thought he separated his shoulder the way he landed

I missed the game this weekend, and haven't re-watched it yet. Did they never specify the type of injury that he had? Usually they'll come back and say it was a knee, or an ankle, or concussion test, or something. Did they not do anything like that?
It sounded like on the broadcast to me a casual non-doctor fan that he had concussion symptoms but he still got put back out there to get hit again. He was seen throwing up in a trash can on the sidelines prior to second series per their sideline reporter. That being said, they said its a rib/hip/abdomen injury, so it could just been a huge blow to the side that knocks the wind out of you and makes you chuck up your lunch...

I never heard anything specific. I thought he might have gotten concussed the way he was puking . But, he wouldn't still be a game time decision if that were the case.

Any professionals here?

Anyone with an advanced degree, and or have several years of experience in a particular field. One where you could be an considered an expert?

Have you ever been challenged by someone who spent 5 minutes googling a topic in your field.

That's us. BTW.

Sure we have been snake bit by the wrong QB getting the start before. It happens. But again, we don't have all the information. Plus I trust this staff more than our previous ones when it comes to this type of stuff.

I also will agree that this could be all a set up to throw off UTEP. They could easily play up the injury card and switch the depth chart on Friday or Saturday.

But I also believe they may think Doug gives us the best chance to win.

To me it looked like perhaps a rib injury. Maybe back. The first hit seemed to be the big one. If he was concussed then, they would not have let him back in. He was throwing up after the first hit. So I don't that was from a concussion.

QB depth charts are a very precarious thing to navigate. Maiava absolutely played better than Brumfield, but does have command of the offense. Only ask because when he played before, he had to run to the sideline between every play. Didn’t have to against Vanderbilt, but perhaps still learning the offense and may not have the entire playbook at his disposal. Ideally you’d like to make sure QB1 has mastered the offense otherwise it could put us at a disadvantage.

Any professionals here?

Anyone with an advanced degree, and or have several years of experience in a particular field. One where you could be an considered an expert?

Have you ever been challenged by someone who spent 5 minutes googling a topic in your field.

That's us. BTW.

Sure we have been snake bit by the wrong QB getting the start before. It happens. But again, we don't have all the information. Plus I trust this staff more than our previous ones when it comes to this type of stuff.

I also will agree that this could be all a set up to throw off UTEP. They could easily play up the injury card and switch the depth chart on Friday or Saturday.

But I also believe they may think Doug gives us the best chance to win.
To answer your question. No. But I've stayed at a Holiday Inn Express.

Odom is handling this the right way. Doug is one of the best dudes on the planet. Has given his body for the scarlet and gray. It hasn’t worked out how he wanted. He’s fully aware of that. Brum is a little more immunized from the public “losing his job” to a freshman, and the narrative is that he can’t play because he’s injured…which he is

Athletes aren't loyal these days!

Athlete stays.

Promptly gets crapped on by same fan bases that demand loyalty.

Odom is in a similiar boat as Sanchez was with Armani.

If it had ever clicked with Armani Sanchez might still be here.

The upside was there. Same with Doug. If (I know huge if) he ever gets just a bit better in the passing game he has massive upside. His legs impact so many aspects of the game.

Odom will be the one that decides if 'if' has taken to long and a change needs to be made.

I think he knows what's best for his team on and off the field.

Personally if healthy I think Doug gets about a half vs Utep. If offense stagnates Odom goes to Maiava.

Athletes aren't loyal these days!

Athlete stays.

Promptly gets crapped on by same fan bases that demand loyalty.

Odom is in a similiar boat as Sanchez was with Armani.

If it had ever clicked with Armani Sanchez might still be here.

The upside was there. Same with Doug. If (I know huge if) he ever gets just a bit better in the passing game he has massive upside. His legs impact so many aspects of the game.

Odom will be the one that decides if 'if' has taken to long and a change needs to be made.

I think he knows what's best for his team on and off the field.

Personally if healthy I think Doug gets about a half vs Utep. If offense stagnates Odom goes to Maiava.
When coaches make serial blunders, it’s easy to constantly criticize (see Menzies).

Odom has a ton of experience at different levels and positions. We are paying him for that. Until he consistently shows he doesn’t know what he’s doing (see Menzies), you have to go with what they think, they know more than we do.

From what I see with my eyes, it’s not really close, I prefer Maiava. But there has to be more to it and the staff and team would know what that is, not me.

Odom is here to win games, he will put out the guys he feels give us the best shot. If that’s Doug, so be it.

It’s in Barry Odom’s best interest to keep UTEP guessing….UTEP spends all week studying Brum and they we hit them with Maiava

Or

He’s an idiot

It’s kinda binary at this point…..

but we know Brumfield will sneeze incorrectly and break a fingernail and have to come out anyway
Man, dont talk about a Rebel that way dude. Only I can do that. LOL

He was throwing up in a garbage can. Could be concussion, probably ribs. At first glance I thought he separated his shoulder the way he landed
The concussion was against Michigan. I saw the head snapped back against the ground and Brum grab his head right away. He have some nerves damage for sure. Just rest the kid. He got a long life to live...focus on school and have fun until fully healed.

When coaches make serial blunders, it’s easy to constantly criticize (see Menzies).

Odom has a ton of experience at different levels and positions. We are paying him for that. Until he consistently shows he doesn’t know what he’s doing (see Menzies), you have to go with what they think, they know more than we do.

From what I see with my eyes, it’s not really close, I prefer Maiava. But there has to be more to it and the staff and team would know what that is, not me.

Odom is here to win games, he will put out the guys he feels give us the best shot. If that’s Doug, so be it.

It's a

WHAT IF vs WHAT IS Scenario..

If it ever clicks for Doug he's a top QB in the conference when you factor in what he can do with his legs.

Maiava is a more polished passer at this point to my eyes but doesn't quite have Doug's athleticism. (He's not a statue obviously based on his TD run)..

Question is how long do you wait for 'if' to click before deciding its time to go with what is...

It's a

WHAT IF vs WHAT IS Scenario..

If it ever clicks for Doug he's a top QB in the conference when you factor in what he can do with his legs.

Maiava is a more polished passer at this point to my eyes but doesn't quite have Doug's athleticism. (He's not a statue obviously based on his TD run)..

Question is how long do you wait for 'if' to click before deciding its time to go with what is...
Chit, it is nice to have you around Bull. You know your chit. Eduma-cate if I get it wrong, Bull.

One question is what if Maiava struggles? Then what? Do you ride it out? Go back to Doug?

One question is what if Maiava struggles? Then what? Do you ride it out? Go back to Doug?
It’s a good question. And that’s why you have to yield to the coaches. They have to balance individual psyches along with team psyche. And that, I think, can be difficult at times. You have to sometimes worry about collateral impacts.

It’s easy to say, rip him out of there, replace him with X. That’s why it’s easy being a fan. But what happens when you do? If it doesn’t work, what else breaks?

I think I have more faith with a coach that has been around the block a time or two. He’s dealt with this before.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT