ADVERTISEMENT

Caleb Herring

Pistol Pete 1

Retired Number
Sep 22, 2008
I am listening to the new Cofield podcast with Caleb Herring and it is painfully obvious that Herring wants Doug Brumfield back in there. He doesn't give him any credit at all. I remember listening early in the season when he kept saying that Doug will be back, he is QB # 1. Maiava hasn't done anything, it's all the team. I didn't think it was possible that there could be a Brumfield nut hugger left in the free world at this point. Pitiful

Reactions: LVRebel2000
I am listening to the new Cofield podcast with Caleb Herring and it is painfully obvious that Herring wants Doug Brumfield back in there. He doesn't give him any credit at all. I remember listening early in the season when he kept saying that Doug will be back, he is QB # 1. Maiava hasn't done anything, it's all the team. I didn't think it was possible that there could be a Brumfield nut hugger left in the free world at this point. Pitiful
Caleb was replaced for being mediocre to bad mixed with some good... ring a bell.. and only got his job back because the new OC liked him over Sherry, so I kind of understand where he's coming from. That said, hes wrong, and that causes me to question his analysis...

Caleb was replaced for being mediocre to bad mixed with some good... ring a bell.. and only got his job back because the new OC liked him over Sherry, so I kind of understand where he's coming from. That said, hes wrong, and that causes me to question his analysis...
I mean, he’s played, he knows the game … Maybe it’s because the situations are similar. Maybe he’s tight with Doug. I don’t know. I don’t see what he sees either though.

I don’t mind Doug as a QB. I think when he’s good, he’s really good. But he’s mediocre to bad more often. He won’t throw downfield often. Relies on his legs too much even though it can be a huge asset. But he’s got really happy feet in the pocket and the feet are bouncing. The progressions are insanely slow. That’s what I see.

Maiava is far from perfect. But for a freshman, he’s not bad at all and the key is - he’s been getting better. More confidence. Better reads. Still some screw ups along the way. But he looks far more game to game ready to me. And the team seems to follow. Took a few games to get on the same page with White.

Now some say Doug was constantly under heavy pressure and the blocking has been better for Maiava. That might be. But while I do think the line has improved as a whole, I do think part of it is confidence. When you know passes are going to be completed, when you know scores are coming … I think it’s human nature to go harder.

In the end, it’s very hard to buck success. We have evidence right in front of us. Maiava is 5-1. I don’t like losing starting jobs to injury. It’s a bad way to lose your job. I’m sure Wally Pipp hated it, too (have to be as old as dirt to get the reference).

I mean, he’s played, he knows the game … Maybe it’s because the situations are similar. Maybe he’s tight with Doug. I don’t know. I don’t see what he sees either though.

I don’t mind Doug as a QB. I think when he’s good, he’s really good. But he’s mediocre to bad more often. He won’t throw downfield often. Relies on his legs too much even though it can be a huge asset. But he’s got really happy feet in the pocket and the feet are bouncing. That’s what I see.

Maiava is far from perfect. But for a freshman, he’s not bad at all and the key is - he’s been getting better. More confidence. Better reads. Still some screw ups along the way. But he looks far more game to game ready to me.

Now some say Doug was constantly under heavy pressure and the blocking has been better for Maiava. That might be. But while I do think the line has improved as a whole, I do think part of it is confidence. When you know passes are going to be completed, when you know scores are coming … I think it’s human nature to go harder.

In the end, it’s very hard to buck success. We have evidence right in front of us. Maiava is 5-1. I don’t like losing starting jobs to injury. It’s a bad way to lose your job. I’m sure Wally Pipp hated it, too (have to be as old as dirt to get the reference).
And I get all that but why he can't find it in him to give some props to Maiava is hard to fathom.

Reactions: LVRebel2000
And I get all that but why he can't find it in him to give some props to Maiava is hard to fathom.
Yeah, giving credit to team only when the kid has racked up conference accolades - but more than that, eyeball test. And the results. It’s been the most exciting time in Rebel history since the beginning of JRob’s third year I think it was. And it’s not solely because of Maiava, but he’s certainly a big part of it.

If recall correctly I believe Nick got injured and never fully recovered and that's how Caleb got the Starting job back. He was well on his way to becoming one of the best QB's to play at UNLV. He had the second most passing yards for a freshman only behind Jon Denton. Damn what could have been!

I don’t like losing starting jobs to injury. It’s a bad way to lose your job. I’m sure Wally Pipp hated it, too (have to be as old as dirt to get the reference).
Drew Bledsoe said he definitely agrees with you :)

Im just now seeing this thread because Boston Rebel commented and brought it back to the top, but I agree that Caleb is definitely a nut hugger and he thinks that his "opinion" on things are facts because he played. Last week, he tweeted that no one should speculate on the coaching carousel and that coaches should be able discuss this with their family at the dinner table and thats it.

That's funny because I didn't see that same energy when Brad Odom tweeted publicly that Marion should run it back nor did I see that same energy last off-season when the other nut hugger Joe Arrigo constantly talk about how we should get Ed Orgeron and how he was the leading candidate. Thats a whole lot of speculation.

And while we are on the topic of Mr. Herring, lets just say that not a lot of the core players on the team are fond of him....He's not who he thinks he is in that locker room.

That's not close to what happened with the Sherry/Herring scenario. Sherry won the starting job out of camp. Started the first three games.

Sherry melt down against Minnesota in a game UNLV had a chance to win. Threw an awful pick that swung the momentum of the game. Played horribly vs Arizona the following week. Started week 3 vs CMU and threw 2 early picks. Caleb came in and lead Rebels to a comeback win. Took the job and played really well that year. I think he was 24Td to 5INTS. Also ran for like 350 yards with 5 TDs.

I went to every Spring practice that year. Trust me the staff absolutely wanted Sherry to win that job. He was Hauck's guy.

I agree Caleb is wrong though about Brumfield/Maiava scenario.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT