ADVERTISEMENT

An interesting take on UNLV to the Big 12

Yep, this is a time of great potential for unlv.
Big 12 needs Unlv more than Pac12 does.

Big 12 pays out $ 38 mil per school in TV contract funds. If DRF could get this for us she deserves a statue, a car and a building named after her and more named after her husband and children.

But she will still be hated here on Rebel Net. You know, because ... reasons.

What has she accomplished at UNLV? The big12 is a pipe dream. If she gets that done she'd be a saint in everyone's eyes. But so far, not so good.

That's the point it is too early to tell.

To early to tell how TJ will work out. But it was a bold move that potentially saved money for the more important hire, the football coach.

If rumors are true, being able to pay 1.8 mil is significant, and it could lead to a really good hire.

But she may strike out on both hires, but hatin' on her now is just ridiculous.

But she will still be hated here on Rebel Net. You know, because ... reasons.
Good reasons. When your primary target is Morton Hoser, when you think he’s a slam dunk hire for our basketball program - never mind that this little old nothing of a coach rejected us - that shows you are clueless to what UNLV needs and to the world of college basketball, which, you know, is kind of part of the job.

But those are bad reasons, I guess. People think others do a poor job without evidence, they just think it because, you know, “reasons”.

People do a shitty job and there are still ass kissers galore, because, you know, “reasons”.

Reactions: attorneygeneral
What has she accomplished at UNLV? The big12 is a pipe dream. If she gets that done she'd be a saint in everyone's eyes. But so far, not so good.
The B12 has always been a possibility, and I’ve felt it’s always been a stronger possibility than the P-12. I have my sincere doubts, I just don’t think UNLV can move and shake and make things happen, strong leadership needs to slam things like these home. And we don’t have that.

I’d take either, for certain. I don’t think you can survive long term without a power conference.

Good reasons. When your primary target is Morton Hoser, when you think he’s a slam dunk hire for our basketball program - never mind that this little old nothing of a coach rejected us - that shows you are clueless to what UNLV needs and to the world of college basketball, which, you know, is kind of part of the job.

But those are bad reasons, I guess. People think others do a poor job without evidence, they just think it because, you know, “reasons”.

People do a shitty job and there are still ass kissers galore, because, you know, “reasons”.
I knew this coming.

If your reason for hating on DRF is Porter Moser, then I don't know what to say.

How dare she interview a coach that took a nothing school to a final four. One that was highly recommended by a reputable search firm who's business is researching, vetting, and selecting candidates.

A coach that Cincinatti also went after the same year. They should fire their AD too!

I'm glad we didn't hire Moser. But that's the thing. WE DIDN'T HIRE MOSER!

AD's are judged, and should be judged, on who they actually hire, not who they interview.

Last edited:

When Porter Moser rejects you, its more about the school than it is her.

Coaches are a small fraternity. They talk, they network.

Have to imagine the midseason firing of Rice wasn't helpful. The Cronin and Beard drama. I'm sure there are guys in the coaching community that think Menzies got a raw deal being fired after three seasons. UNLV probably doesn't have the best reputation in that community right now.

I knew this coming.

If your reason for hating on DRF is Porter Moser, then I don't know what to say.

How dare she interview a coach that took a nothing school to a final four. One that was highly recommended by a reputable search firm who's business is researching, vetting, and selecting candidates.

A coach that Cincinatti also went after the same year. They should fire their AD too!

AD's are judged, and should be judged, on who they actually hire, not who they interview.

We didn't hire Moser because he turned us down. The fact that she offered him the job shows how disconnected she is from the UNLV fan base. The guy got lucky; look at his track record before and after. Regardless, we don't know how TJ will turn out but we do know that, so far, he doesn't look great. That she rejected using booster money to hire some no-name because she found some savings is concerning.

We have things we can grade her on so far and, so far, I don't think she's done much of anything. You can disagree, but that doesn't make everyone who disagrees with you a "hater." There's also lots of evidence and rumors that she is trying to bail on UNLV asap so your loyalty to her seems strange. We'll see what she does with this football hire ..... given her chances of landing a p5 job are directly tied to these two hires you would hope she'd try to make a splash (unlike the basketball hire).

Reactions: MauiRebel
I knew this coming.

You knew it was coming because you know it’s a problem. That shows she is so out of touch with college basketball and UNLV’s needs. Who coached George Mason 15 years ago? Oh yeah. Who?

She did more than interview, she OFFERED him the job first. That he laughed at her was our good fortune but it still speaks very loudly about how out of touch she actually is. The guys body of work screams below mediocre outside of an outlier that was a major positive blip. What other school is chasing him? Nobody. The nun wants him and he should be very happy about that.

I was torn with things because our major boosters drive me nuts for reasons covered here many times before - but she didn’t need their money, so they didn’t get input and she did not rely on them at all. The extra money needed fell into the athletic departments lap through channels that had nothing to do with her and nothing to do with UNLV wheeling and dealing. So she leaned on her old buddy Eddie Fogler who knows jack shit about UNLV. But he had clients who were looking to move up.

With moving to a new conference? I hope so, but she won’t survive those waters. If she cannot deal with the Raiders in an appropriate manner (both sides share some blame here), then she’s not going to be able to swim through waters with AD’s and Presidents that aren’t too keen on letting you in.

You can love her all you want, you can love Menzies all you want, I don’t care. But when you are going through the shittiest stretch of athletics since the school became D1, you gotta wonder - hmmmmm? Maybe something is possibly wrong somewhere?

We didn't hire Moser because he turned us down. The fact that she offered him the job shows how disconnected she is from the UNLV fan base. The guy got lucky; look at his track record before and after. Regardless, we don't know how TJ will turn out but we do know that, so far, he doesn't look great. That she rejected using booster money to hire some no-name because she found some savings is concerning.

We have things we can grade her on so far and, so far, I don't think she's done much of anything. You can disagree, but that doesn't make everyone who disagrees with you a "hater." There's also lots of evidence and rumors that she is trying to bail on UNLV asap so your loyalty to her seems strange. We'll see what she does with this football hire ..... given her chances of landing a p5 job are directly tied to these two hires you would hope she'd try to make a splash (unlike the basketball hire).
I hope Otz makes it big here, I really do. I have my doubts but it won’t be because of effort. We will see on that front.

But she expected UNLV fans to rejoice in unity upon the announcement. Again, complete misread of the school and the fanbase. And now the disappointment is felt by her. Maybe that will drive a “good” football hire, now that she sees how our fans reacted (at the moment and now in the stands) to the basketball hire. It was a major thud. The helicopter ride, the summer caravan - I don’t blame UNLV one bit for that stuff. But stuff like that should be to enhance, not to try and save.

She’s so out of touch. If she handles conference dealings like she handles the Raiders dealings, we will end up in the Big West.

The blog that this guy wrote can be summed up in one sentence, basically all he says is ..."The Big12 should add UNLV because Las Vegas is a fun place to visit".

I don't like DSF because of who she did actually hire. TJ seems like a nice guy, but if he turns this program around it will be a miracle. DSF did not rally the boosters to get what we needed. What we needed was a big name coach who could create excitement and recruit. To pat her and the back and give her props for "saving money" is laughable.

Reactions: attorneygeneral
That's the point it is too early to tell.

To early to tell how TJ will work out. But it was a bold move that potentially saved money for the more important hire, the football coach.

If rumors are true, being able to pay 1.8 mil is significant, and it could lead to a really good hire.

But she may strike out on both hires, but hatin' on her now is just ridiculous.

A good Football coach is more important than a good basketball coach? Since when ?? So DSF is intentionally sacrificing our storied tradition in basketball so we can get better and improve in Football. That sounds like a cop out to me.

When Porter Moser rejects you, its more about the school than it is her.

Coaches are a small fraternity. They talk, they network.

Have to imagine the midseason firing of Rice wasn't helpful. The Cronin and Beard drama. I'm sure there are guys in the coaching community that think Menzies got a raw deal being fired after three seasons. UNLV probably doesn't have the best reputation in that community right now.
Has nothing to do with the rejection though I’m glad he did reject us. It’s more to do with him being her #1. That tells us all we need to know.

Now, Menzies wasn’t our first, he was our very last and he was lucky to even be on a list. That it got down to him said far more about UNLV. The early targets didn’t pan out, but at least the targets were high and “appropriate”. And even though I think she sucked royally, at least Tina had a realistic clue about the school’s needs and fans desires - she just couldn’t deliver. DRF can’t even identify. That’s the problem for me.

Reactions: Rebel_Luv
You knew it was coming because you know it’s a problem. That shows she is so out of touch with college basketball and UNLV’s needs. Who coached George Mason 15 years ago? Oh yeah. Who?

She did more than interview, she OFFERED him the job first. That he laughed at her was our good fortune but it still speaks very loudly about how out of touch she actually is. The guys body of work screams below mediocre outside of an outlier that was a major positive blip. What other school is chasing him? Nobody. The nun wants him and he should be very happy about that.

I was torn with things because our major boosters drive me nuts for reasons covered here many times before - but she didn’t need their money, so they didn’t get input and she did not rely on them at all. The extra money needed fell into the athletic departments lap through channels that had nothing to do with her and nothing to do with UNLV wheeling and dealing. So she leaned on her old buddy Eddie Fogler who knows jack shit about UNLV. But he had clients who were looking to move up.

With moving to a new conference? I hope so, but she won’t survive those waters. If she cannot deal with the Raiders in an appropriate manner (both sides share some blame here), then she’s not going to be able to swim through waters with AD’s and Presidents that aren’t too keen on letting you in.

You can love her all you want, you can love Menzies all you want, I don’t care. But when you are going through the shittiest stretch of athletics since the school became D1, you gotta wonder - hmmmmm? Maybe something is possibly wrong somewhere?

He also turned down Cincinatti. No one talks about that. He is seemingly very happy where he is at. Maybe it wasn't just. She also keeps things close to the vest, you have said as much. Sure she was rumored to offer him a contract. Does that mean she was done with him? Maybe, maybe not. Since she did it without boosters, we won't know since no one here is a DRF insider. Again, she didn't hire him, and he also turned down a better job in Cincinatti. He was the primary target from a professional, highly regarded search firm. Se la vie.

I don't love her, and I didn't love Menzies. I just don't hate them like you. I think it is too soon for DRF, gotta see if TJO turns things around, and more importantly the football hire and how that turns out. Simple as that.

Sure it has been a very bad stretch for UNLV athletics. Football has been about it's usual level of bad. She fired the coach, and wanted to last year. She is about to hire one that may be the most important football hire since J Rob given all of the other factors involved.

She didn't hire Menzies. She fired him after 3 years, which is early. She hired Otz who had do deal with a bad situation where many good players left because of the premature firing. Plus a very different style of play which will make a tough transition. Again, jury is out for me on him. It hasn't been good so far.

Some here hate her because she is a woman, though won't admit it. Some hate her just because UNLV hired her, so by default it will be bad. Because UNLV can do no right no matter what.

But I am not condemning her for interviewing a coach that took a small school to a final four. Just because he could only do it once.

A good Football coach is more important than a good basketball coach? Since when ?? So DSF is intentionally sacrificing our storied tradition in basketball so we can get better and improve in Football. That sounds like a cop out to me.

Look outside, football matters more. Period. The talk of Big 12 has everything to do with football. Without the practice facility and the new stadium it wouldn't happen.

I don't she copped out either. She still paid a good price for Otz.

I like the out of touch argument. The people who are out of touch are the Rebels fans! Am I wrong??? 90% of the posts are about how shitty we are, and we will never have any success according to Tark, and how we have the worst leadership. You can't have it both ways.

Look outside, football matters more. Period. The talk of Big 12 has everything to do with football. Without the practice facility and the new stadium it wouldn't happen.

I don't she copped out either. She still paid a good price for Otz.

I like the out of touch argument. The people who are out of touch are the Rebels fans! Am I wrong??? 90% of the posts are about how shitty we are, and we will never have any success according to Tark, and how we have the worst leadership. You can't have it both ways.
You believe in the slowest of growths as being a healthy thing. Not at a school that has accomplished something. Slow growths do one thing with a fanbase that has expectations. It chases them away, like Mavis did.

I don’t enjoy watching grass grow, you may. But you also watch from several states away and can shut the thing off, those of us that attend don’t have that luxury. So it’s a bit easier to sit and say “ah, slow growth is the only way” when you are absent. I understand why you liked Marv so much given that you align with slow growths.

I told you this fanbase won’t change. You think there needs to be a fan-wide re-education of what is acceptable, according to you. If people are fine with slow growth or even stagnancy, I don’t have a problem with it, you’re satisfied. I’m not going to tell them they need to demand more. They’re happy, satisfied, compliant, non confrontational - those are the fans UNLV adores - shut up, sit quiet and open your wallet like a good boy. But I don’t expect easily satisfied fans to tell me, as you’ve done, to demand less. Just so we won’t be as disappointed.

The fanbase won’t change. It can be demolished and regrown in the way that UNLV wants, in the manner which you think is acceptable - one that is always satisfied, happy just to be there, ones that find small, unenthusiastic crowds as intimate and cozy.

Reactions: bcvegaspt

BB hasn't been relevant here since the 90s. Just saying

I am not a basketball guy, but I d say 2012-2013. Anthony Bennett made a small splash, and the house was still in decent condition because Lon Kruger's guys could bang. We at least made it to March Madness for a decent stretch under Kruger before we got Riced out.

I am not a basketball guy, but I d say 2012-2013. Anthony Bennett made a small splash, and the house was still in decent condition because Lon Kruger's guys could bang. We at least made it to March Madness for a decent stretch under Kruger before we got Riced out.
Rice made it with a recruiting class that paid huge dividends (and partially backfired later) in the second year. Marshall was a key contributor, but Khem, Bennett, Jones, etc, carried a ton of the weight and earned UNLV it’s highest seed in the NCAAT post Tark, which they subsequently crapped the bed with vs Cal.

Reactions: RebelinWA
Storied tradition is right.

Fathers tuck their kids in at night telling them stories about how UNLV was once very good...
We also tuck them in and tell them how we were able see a very good UNLV football team win the California bowl when we were their age, even though the results of the season were overturned for using 75 ineligible players.

Reactions: quirkt
We also tuck them in and tell them how we were able see a very good UNLV football team win the California bowl when we were their age, even though the results of the season were overturned for using 75 ineligible players.

Those aren't bedtime stories, those are like ghost stories you tell your kids to scare them around the camp fire.

That is one good thing about being an old fart. Actually remembering when UNLV was relevant in football and basketball.
Good days, whippersnappers.

Reactions: Bullmastiff 1
Very few on this board were even alive last time UNLV football was good! Thanks to Maxson - may he rot in hell!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT