ADVERTISEMENT

LV Sun article re: Ricky White & NIL (Grimala)

LVRebel2000

Rebel Legend
Gold Member
Jun 30, 2011
Las Vegas
Interesting that this article got published after the backlash he was getting online. A few of the quotes:

"Another source said it was because White has an offer on the table worth $250,000 in NIL money to transfer to Notre Dame."

"According to multiple sources, White is set to make $60,000 at UNLV in 2024. That’s a big increase from last year, when the total NIL budget for the UNLV football team was minimal, but it might not be enough to fend off power programs dangling six-figure offers."

Full article link if you want: https://lasvegassun.com/news/2024/jan/15/after-losing-qb-to-transfer-portal-unlv-backers-fi/

He sure plays down the importance of the recruiting violations if true. Should ND grab him in the spring...
Confused Marvel Studios GIF by Disney+

Not sure what his motivation is here? To hurt UNLV? To expose cheating in the portal? To get clicks? Kind of a weird situation.
That was my first thought about if he is trying to harm UNLV. He knows White and White's father are denying this and yet he mentions a "source" is telling him. He needs to let us know who this source is. Otherwise, his story is weak sauce.

To move on and publish this is pretty ballsy unless there is something relaly there. Sure Ricky and his dad denied this, but could just be doing that since the portal isn’t open and it would be a violation. I have no sound info on this, just interesting that he is sticking with it, kinda tells me there was at least some smoke there.

Grimala is as milk toast as it gets. I heard he doesn’t even eat toast or drink milk…too spicy for him. He doesn’t like to rock any boats. He wouldn’t have run with it unless he had some assurances. Assurances aren’t always correct though.

Who knows. We’ll see before next August. I do know that NIL money is starting to trickle in

Grimala is as milk toast as it gets. I heard he doesn’t even eat toast or drink milk…too spicy for him. He doesn’t like to rock any boats. He wouldn’t have run with it unless he had some assurances. Assurances aren’t always correct though.

Who knows. We’ll see before next August. I do know that NIL money is starting to trickle in

I honestly think this was just bad 'reporting' by Grimala. Heard something, didn't confirm it, ran with it.

And proceeded to crawl under a rock when Ricky's dad called him out.

Milk toast? He's one of those English Water Crackers.

Reactions: reagan21
Surprised with the pro sports growth in Las Vegas that the sports writing remains the same. Low quality articles and garbage. They are sticking with the dinosaur model of just writing articles that are old news by the time it hits the web page. Might be why Grimala rushed this story out, who knows.

I think whoever can come up with a good podcast/vlog/youtube show (think pat mcafee) will pretty much render the Sun and RJ useless in terms of coverage and access. A lot of these pundits you see on tv like Colin Cowherd can offer instant reaction to a game right after it’s over. Meaning, not many are going to run over to a news site and read about it.

Reactions: LVRebel2000
When I used to have the time to watch the practices, it was usually only Dasco that would show up. Every other writer that would show up came in the last couple of minutes.

Hawk was awful. So was Grainey.

Kantowski was up and down but that’s kinda of the way a writer should be, shouldn’t be in the same page or exact opposite page as somebody 100 percent of the time. If so, you either join ass kissery or haterism with them.
What about Bob Sands?

Surprised with the pro sports growth in Las Vegas that the sports writing remains the same. Low quality articles and garbage. They are sticking with the dinosaur model of just writing articles that are old news by the time it hits the web page. Might be why Grimala rushed this story out, who knows.

I think whoever can come up with a good podcast/vlog/youtube show (think pat mcafee) will pretty much render the Sun and RJ useless in terms of coverage and access. A lot of these pundits you see on tv like Colin Cowherd can offer instant reaction to a game right after it’s over. Meaning, not many are going to run over to a news site and read about it.
I agree but access is the initial roadblock to be able to create content. Joe probably doesn't remember this but I think I setup one of the first online chats about UNLV Football when I was at KVBC (Ch.3) and had Cuzzy (Dasco) on to discuss UNLV football. This may have been in the SI days. I think we got about 10 people online. This was 2000-2001. The station (Jim Rogers) thought the internet was a total joke. UNLV was a tough nut to break thru back then if you were not Mormon. Access was tough.

I agree but access is the initial roadblock to be able to create content. Joe probably doesn't remember this but I think I setup one of the first online chats about UNLV Football when I was at KVBC (Ch.3) and had Cuzzy (Dasco) on to discuss UNLV football. This may have been in the SI days. I think we got about 10 people online. This was 2000-2001. The station (Jim Rogers) thought the internet was a total joke. UNLV was a tough nut to break thru back then if you were not Mormon. Access was tough.
Wow, I think I do remember that, and you're right, back in the day, the internet was a joke to everyone which was understandable. I didn't blame UNLV, I understood, back then, we were Rivalsnet.com and they went to bat for me ... but it was tough going because there was no legitimacy. Back then Futrell helped me out because he knew I knew my UNLV stuff and I can't say anything bad about Tony, he had always been kind to me and he offered me some chances when others wouldn't, not that I was pressing hard, that's not the type of guy I am. But Tony had me on air a few times, Ron wrote some stuff for us, had me on radio, he had a cable TV show, he had me on there a few times. It took awhile but I wasn't in any rush. One day, against his better judgement, Bayno gave it the ok but man was he reticent, very guarded against everything internet. I wasn't going to try and fool the guy, I figured, be yourself, handle things as you do and if it's good enough, cool, if not, that's ok too. I was lucky because I wasn't looking to make a name or anything, I wasn't going to look for controversial stuff and uncover bs, again, not my style at all.

Quite honestly, I want it all to be like shooting the shit with my friends over a beer at a bar, I was driven by the unity of fans and pride I had in the school. Never was money or being liked or any type of salesmanship in my arsenal. I like raw honesty, straight-forwardness .. doesn't always work, turns some people off and that's ok.

I get where the guys who do it for money are coming from, it's their livelihood so maybe there are different rules, different allegiances, just a way of doing things (I know it is, I've seen the way some act). I wasn't reliant upon that, if I had to be, I wouldn't have done it. Just goes against my grain to be asskissy. And I don't want my ass kissed either, freaking hate it. But I do know that I couldn't survive being an every day media person. I can't play those games.

But you brought back some good memories, thanks for that.

Reactions: LVRebel2000
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT