ADVERTISEMENT

Line ‘em up: Predictions and Game Thread Air Force Academy

We have 2 wins at the Air Force Academy in the entire UNLV football history. It’s been a tough place for us to win over the years but this team is different. UNLV wins and if Larrier is out UNLV wins big.

We have 2 wins at the Air Force Academy in the entire UNLV football history. It’s been a tough place for us to win over the years but this team is different. UNLV wins and if Larrier is out UNLV wins big.
What I saw last night from AFA isn’t scary at all.

But the situation is, the stakes, the venue, etc.

The mental toughness and discipline of mature men who defend this country does concern me.

I don't think is has as much to do with their location as with us always sucking.

Larrier unless the Air Force has some Star Wars like bacta Tanks they haven't told us won't be playing... he went out again with injury last night... they were also missing several other starters due to injury

Reactions: LVRebel2000
I’m more concerned about this game than any on the schedule this far. So glad we have a coach who prepares his team and comes in with a game plan. Turns my concern into cautious optimism.
Have no reason to doubt that they’ll be prepared, even though they’re tough to prepare for, and that they’ll have an even keel approach, even though it’s the biggest game in program history.

Because it’s the way they’ve been all year.

I don’t think AF will run anything that our defense hasn’t seen in practice. Both teams run a triple offense with the Go Go Offense being a bit more complex.
Yep-we should have a better prepared Defense than in the past, but it also kind of goes both ways. I imagine our offense won’t be as strange to the Air Force D as it has been for the other teams on our schedule.

Yep-we should have a better prepared Defense than in the past, but it also kind of goes both ways. I imagine our offense won’t be as strange to the Air Force D as it has been for the other teams on our schedule.
Except we throw the ball down the field... they don't. We're not a straight triple option style that you scheme for in that way. That's what makes it so difficult, that's why Air Force will have to stay home and not sell out to stop run, and Hawaii killed them last night when Air Force tried

Stopping the triple option requires great gap and edge discipline and understanding how to deal with all the cut and crackback blocks and the counter game. I feel like our defense is probably the most disciplined in the front 7 as I can remember. Our DBs are a little less technically sound but are good in run support.

I feel like we match up as well as we have. We see the 3-3-5 in practice all the time, so on offense we'll have a little more experience at the exotic blitz and disguised zone drops. Also, keep in mind that Air Force defensive numbers are inflated due to their insane TOP edge.

Air Force is trending in the wrong direction while we're seemingly getting better every week and I believe we'll compete even if we do lose, but what the heck:

UNLV sells out to stop the run and holds on in a very tight contest:

UNLV - 24
AFA - 23

We always seem to struggle with Air Force. Also AirForce is coming off back to back losses, I think they will come out fully motivated and ready to play.
On the better note Odom gets his teams ready for games and this UNLV team looks Hungry.
I think it comes down to the wire and the last team with the ball wins.

We always seem to struggle with Air Force. Also AirForce is coming off back to back losses, I think they will come out fully motivated and ready to play.
On the better note Odom gets his teams ready for games and this UNLV team looks Hungry.
I think it comes down to the wire and the last team with the ball wins.
We always haven't had this coaching staff.
And having a defensive head coach also helps a bunch in this case. 2 guys to prepare.
We have been great at defending the edge.
Air Force is a different type of offense to prepare. Very different from what we run.
But I think we will be prepared.
I do think it will be a slog. Overall Air Force's defense has been very good. What no one is talking about is that our run game has slowed down a good amount the past 2-3 weeks. (Not counting UNM).
I think we compete and pull out a close, low scoring game.
UNLV 24 AFA 17

We always haven't had this coaching staff.
And having a defensive head coach also helps a bunch in this case. 2 guys to prepare.
We have been great at defending the edge.
Air Force is a different type of offense to prepare. Very different from what we run.
But I think we will be prepared.
I do think it will be a slog. Overall Air Force's defense has been very good. What no one is talking about is that our run game has slowed down a good amount the past 2-3 weeks. (Not counting UNM).
I think we compete and pull out a close, low scoring game.
UNLV 24 AFA 17
Wyoming loaded up in the box and we switched to the pass. Expect the AFA will try both and mix them up to try to get some poor third down outcomes.

Dare I say this is the most important game in program history for this modern era? We've never found ourselves in a MWC/WAC title race. If we win, things get VERY exciting for the home finale against a hot SJSU to win the regular season title outright.

UNLV 28
AF 24

We match up as well as any past UNLV team has. The weather should be pretty good. I have confidence the coaching staff will have the team ready to execute an effective game plan. AF is reeling. Larrier and Michel are both question marks. That being said, their backs are against the wall. I would not be surprised if both are ready to go Saturday. The mentality and fortitude of our servicemen should not be taken lightly.

What concerns me most is AF getting 180 yards on 11 pass plays. Our secondary has a knack for giving up big plays. No doubt AF will look to exploit this.

What a time to be alive (for Rebel football). LOL!

Dare I say this is the most important game in program history for this modern era? We've never found ourselves in a MWC/WAC title race. If we win, things get VERY exciting for the home finale against a hot SJSU to win the regular season title outright.

UNLV 28
AF 24

We match up as well as any past UNLV team has. The weather should be pretty good. I have confidence the coaching staff will have the team ready to execute an effective game plan. AF is reeling. Larrier and Michel are both question marks. That being said, their backs are against the wall. I would not be surprised if both are ready to go Saturday. The mentality and fortitude of our servicemen should not be taken lightly.

What concerns me most is AF getting 180 yards on 11 pass plays. Our secondary has a knack for giving up big plays. No doubt AF will look to exploit this.

That was against Hawaii! UNLV was able to score at will against Hawaii!

UNLV 28
AF 24

If Air Force is throwing the ball 11 times, weve already won... They want to throw 5-6 times game. They also dont have the WR group capable of pushing our DBs the way other schools have.

If Air Force is throwing the ball 11 times, weve already won... They want to throw 5-6 times game. They also dont have the WR group capable of pushing our DBs the way other schools have.

It's not so much the ability of their WRs that concerns me. It's more about eye discipline and reads from LBs and Secondary and missing an assignment.

If they are having any success running the ball they can lull you to sleep at times.

I bet Odom knows you cannot take AFA lightly, they may be wounded but they are still dangerous, especially to a team like UNLV just getting its footing when it comes to winning. We will see real quick on Saturday afternoon just how ready and prepared we are. The weather will not be an issue this weekend, Go Rebels!

Wyoming loaded up in the box and we switched to the pass. Expect the AFA will try both and mix them up to try to get some poor third down outcomes.
That is true and Wyoming is a good defensive team.
But we had a 3.6 average. We were 3.6 against Fresno and 3.0 against Colorado State. Not great for a running team.
Things have slowed down against the better teams.

I bet Odom knows you cannot take AFA lightly, they may be wounded but they are still dangerous, especially to a team like UNLV just getting its footing when it comes to winning. We will see real quick on Saturday afternoon just how ready and prepared we are. The weather will not be an issue this weekend, Go Rebels!

It tells you how difficult he knows it can be to defend that offense when he said they spent a significant amount of the offseason looking at AF and preparing for it.

That is true and Wyoming is a good defensive team.
But we had a 3.6 average. We were 3.6 against Fresno and 3.0 against Colorado State. Not great for a running team.
Things have slowed down against the better teams.
that has been by design... Its no coincidence that Maiava has gotten 4 freshman of the week again. Teams have tried to stop our run game and weve countered by absolutely torching them with White.. You cant sit in a zone against us because of the RPO game and you go man to man and Maiava torches you over the top. We only slow down when we shoot ourselves in the foot

Obviously the offense has been effective.
We had over 5.0 yds per carry at UNM.
Point being is that we have to have balance to be effective. Our running attack and season numbers have been juiced by some bad teams. The passing game is getting better and more dynamic. The PA pass has been effective for good reason. But we haven't been able wear teams down in the second half like we used to. We have been very successful on 3rd down and 3rd and longs. But the flip side to that is that we haven't been able to move the ball as well on 1st and second downs. I think teams have figured out how to slow the run game and aren't getting as confused by our looks.
But it is a fair point that they have to load the box more to do so giving us more passing looks downfield.

Obviously the offense has been effective.
We had over 5.0 yds per carry at UNM.
Point being is that we have to have balance to be effective. Our running attack and season numbers have been juiced by some bad teams. The passing game is getting better and more dynamic. The PA pass has been effective for good reason. But we haven't been able wear teams down in the second half like we used to. We have been very successful on 3rd down and 3rd and longs. But the flip side to that is that we haven't been able to move the ball as well on 1st and second downs. I think teams have figured out how to slow the run game and aren't getting as confused by our looks.
But it is a fair point that they have to load the box more to do so giving us more passing looks downfield.
This would be a good time to tweak the playcalling a bit. If we're consistently running on 1st down, mix in some PA passes to get them to back off the line of scrimmage. Then when they're back, pound it again.

Reactions: bcvegaspt

UNLV 28
AF 24

It probably is the most important game in school history. Until the game after that. And then the game after that. We could potentially have a run of most important games in history.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT